Invoice numbers help you to recognize the transactions. QuickBooks assigns the numbers to sales forms automatically which starts with 1001. However, it’s not necessary to stick with the default numbers. You can edit and change the starting number in your invoices. To find out how to change an invoice number in QuickBooks Online and Desktop, we bring you this easy guide.
Here, we will show you how you can set the invoice number based on your preference. This can be done from the company settings, on the sales forms, and purchase orders. Read more!
How Do I Change the Starting Invoice Number in QuickBooks?
To change the invoice number, you can go to the Invoicing tab, open the invoice in question, click the Invoice Number field so that you can change it.
To make the process easy for you, we are writing down each step. See below:
- Click on the “Invoicing” or “Sales” option.
- Then, go to the “Invoices” tab.
- Choose the invoice that you need to change.
- Select the “Invoice Number” field.
- Now, change the invoice number.
- Hit the “Save and Send” or “Save and Close”.
By following these steps, you can easily change the invoice number. Make sure that after changing the invoice number, you don’t forget to hit the Save button to apply your changes.
How to Set Own Invoice Numbering Preference in QuickBooks?
As stated earlier, QuickBooks automatically assigns the invoice number starting with 1001 which you can edit in the Invoicing tab. In addition, you can set your own preference for transaction numbers.
QuickBooks allows you to turn on the custom transaction number through the settings. You can enable this feature on company settings, sales forms, and purchase orders.
Enable Custom Transaction Numbers from the Company Settings
- Go to the “Gear” icon located on the top right of the screen.
- Click on your “Company”.
- Then, choose the “Account and Settings” option.
Enable Custom Transaction Numbers on the Sales Forms
- Click on the “Sales” option.
- Then, choose the “Edit” button for the “Sales from Content” tab.
- Click on the “Custom transaction numbers” and check the box.
- Hit the “Save” button.
- Click the “Done” button.
Enable Custom Transaction Numbers on the Purchase Orders
- Click on the “Expenses” located on the left.
- Then, hit the “Edit” button for Purchase Orders.
- Click on the “Use purchase orders” checkbox.
- Choose the “Custom transaction numbers” checkbox.
- Hit the “Save” button.
Once done following these steps, you need to open the invoice or the sales form. Then, go to the Invoice no. field and add the custom number or the letter sequence that you wish to enter in your forms. But remember that the number sequence you add here will be applied to all the sales forms. One click away to know Delete Expense Transaction in QuickBooks Online.
Note: When you set up the customer numbering for your invoices, make sure you disable the Customer transaction numbers option. By doing so, you can prevent accidental changes to your invoice numbering. Moreover, disabling this option means that your Invoice no. section is hidden from the sales form. However, invoice numbers are printed for the customers.
Where Does Separate Number Sequence Appear?
The separate number sequence displays on the following:
- Sales receipts, invoices, credit memos, and refund receipts
- Delayed credits and delayed charges
- Purchase orders
How to Change Invoice Number in QuickBooks Desktop?
If you recently converted from QuickBooks Online to Desktop and you wish to continue with the same invoice numbering then you can do that. As you create the invoice, your program automatically follows the invoice numbering. To follow the number sequence, you can simply use the last number in the first invoice in your QuickBooks Online account.
But before moving forward, you need to make sure that you customize the invoice template to enter the invoice numbers.
For this process, you can open the invoice templates, go to the additional customization, and enable the invoice number option. This will help you to follow the invoice number sequence.
- Go to the “Lists” menu bar.
- Click on the “Templates” option.
- Click twice on the invoice templates.
- Go to the “Additional Customization” option.
- Mark the “Invoice Number” located under the “Header” tab. Also, ensure that you choose the “Screen and Print” column.
- Hit the “OK” button.
This will make sure that your template has customized invoice numbers. And, you can easily use the starting invoice number in your QuickBooks Desktop.
How to Reset Transaction Numbers?
In case you wish to reset the transaction numbers then you can go to the transaction numbers, remove the check, and create another transaction using a new starting number.
- Click on the “Custom transaction numbers” checkbox.
- Click the “Save” button.
- Now, prepare a transaction using the new starting numbers.
- Then, clear the checkbox for the “Custom transaction numbers”/
- Hit the “Save” button.
How Do Custom Invoice Numbers Work?
There are a few things that one should remember when you enable or disable the custom transaction number in QuickBooks.
Things to Remember When You Enable Custom Transaction Numbers
- When you create or change the transaction, you can modify the transaction numbers.
- Transaction numbers may include letters.
- You get new numbers for new transactions depending upon the last transaction.
- If you enter duplicate transaction numbers, you will be warned about this.
Things to Remember When You Disable Custom Transaction Numbers
- You cannot use the transaction numbers even if you create the number using custom transaction numbers.
- Transaction numbers are only assigned when you create the transactions.
- Transaction numbers are in sequence however it is based on the last number which starts at 1.
To Sum Up
It is quite easy to change invoice numbers assigned automatically by QuickBooks. All you have to enable the company settings, enter the custom number, and disable the option so that your QuickBooks account can recognize the number sequence depending upon your last transaction number.
How to Search and Change an Invoice Number in QuickBooks?
In QB, an invoice can receive a number automatically while it is being created. This invoice number is put on a related receipt for checking if there are any dues. Among the other numerous QuickBooks invoices, it may become difficult to find out the particular invoice you are looking for. The software provides this feature where users can search for the invoices by their numbers to make their work easier.
In some scenarios, you may not find the allotted number agreeable. As per your requirements, you also may see how to change an invoice number in QuickBooks Online and Desktop. In addition, changes may also be made to the entire sequence.
How to Search an Invoice Number in QuickBooks?
Searching invoices by their numbers can help QB users quickly find what they are looking for. The Invoice Search tab will help you out with this. The Transactions option is to be tapped on the QB window. Then click on the Invoice Search tab or press the F7 key to find this feature and search for the invoice number in QuickBooks. Proceed by right-clicking on the search window to gain access to various pages.
- Open “QuickBooks”.
- Press the “Transactions” button.
- Select the button for “Invoice Search”.
- You may also tap the key labeled “F7” to open the window of the search invoice.
- The search window is to be right-clicked for getting access to different pages.
- This window may comprise the following items:
- “Debtors Account Transactions”
- “Creditors Account Transactions”
- Go to the “Transactions” tab for updating the reference fields of the header.
- A search criterion has to be set up.
Note: Until you choose a search item, the print tab may not work.
After you follow all the above steps, you will be able to find the required invoice via its number.
How Do You Change the Invoice Number in QuickBooks?
The software commonly uses an initial number to organize the invoices. For multiple reasons, a user may not require numbering to be initiated in this way. Therefore, the Custom Numbers option can be preferred to change the invoice number in QuickBooks. When this needs to be done in QBDT, customizing the invoice template can be needed. Coming to the software’s Online version, you can customize the numbers or change them in the sales form linked to the invoices.
1: Changing in QuickBooks
You may want to assign different invoice numbers to several clients in QuickBooks for maintaining a difference. This can be performed via the Sales Form Entry tab. You will find this option after tapping on the Gear button. Now, you can press the tab mentioned above and head to the Sales Form Entry feature. Making another move to learn how to change invoice numbers in QuickBooks, you can navigate to the section of Custom Numbers.
- Look for the “Gear” icon in “QuickBooks”.
- Tap on “Sales Form Entry”.
- Then move to the section of “Custom Numbers”.
- Put a tick beside the checkbox of “Custom Transaction Numbers”.
- Here, press the “Save” tab.
- Number fields such as the invoice number can be edited now.
- After editing it, you need to save that number.
- You can even share the newly numbered invoice if you want to, as an optional instruction.
Once you have saved it, the updated invoice number will be remembered by QuickBooks. Thus, for your clients, the invoices can be maintained with no confusion.
2: Customizing in QuickBooks Desktop
The numbering on invoices may usually begin with a starting number when not manually customized. In this software, it can be altered by using the Additional Customization tab. For understanding further how to change the starting invoice number in QuickBooks Desktop, you need to be clear about the usage of this tab. Its use can be availed of via the Lists menu.
- Head to “Lists” on the “QuickBooks Desktop” window.
- Click on “Templates”.
- After that, click two times on the invoice template.
- Choose “Additional Customization”.
- Then visit the “Header” menu.
- Checkmark “Invoice Number” in this direction.
- Ensure to opt for “Screen” and then “Print”.
- Next, hit “Ok”.
- Again press “Ok”.
Note: This method can also be applied for changing the starting invoice number on QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2020.
3: Customization in QuickBooks Online
QBO offers its users to edit the invoice number through the Custom Transaction Number. As goes the name of this option, it can enable you to customize it as you want. How to change an invoice number in QuickBooks Online, using this option, can be attempted via the settings. Through this, the change can be particularly made on a sales form.
Option 1: Through Custom Transaction Numbers
Customizing an invoice number can be very helpful as it lets you set it just the way you want. In QuickBooks Online, you can do so by availing Custom Transaction Number. In the upper right corner, you can look for the Gear icon and tap on it. Then press the Account and Settings tab and hit Sales after that. Now, from the Sales Form Content row, the pencil icon is to be pressed to see the option for customization. Then you can customize and change the invoice number on QuickBooks Online.
- Visit “QBO”.
- Select the “Gear” sign to access the software’s settings.
- Hit the “Account and Settings” button.
- Tap on “Sales”.
- From the row of “Sales Form Content”, the “Pencil” sign is to be chosen.
- In this step, put a check on the box of “Custom Transaction Numbers”.
- Press the “Save” option.
- Click on “Done”.
- After that, the invoice number can be added manually.
How to change the starting invoice number in QuickBooks Online should now be well-familiar to you. Whenever you wish to make such changes to the number on any sales form, this option can be utilized
Option 2: On Sales Form via Settings
To change the invoice number in QuickBooks Online, try utilizing the Sales option. You need to tap on the Gear sign and proceed to the Account and Settings option. Then move to the option as mentioned above. In this method too, you can find the Custom Transaction Numbers but it will be used in a slightly different way to make the change on the sales form.
- The “Gear” button is to be chosen from the “QuickBooks Online” homepage.
- Select “Account and Settings”.
- Press the “Sales” button.
- Now, go to the section of “Sales Form Content”.
- The “Custom Transaction Numbers” option is to be turned on.
- Hit “Save” in this step.
- Push the “Done” option.
- Any sales form can be opened now.
- In the field of “Invoice No.”, please type the custom number and sequence of the letters for using it for the sales form. The sequence that you mention here will get applied to all of these forms.
Important: After setting up the invoice number, the Custom Transaction Number option can be turned off. This can be done when you want to prevent the numbering from any accidental changes. Later, the field of “Invoice No.” will get hidden from the sales form. However, the invoice number may still be printed for the customers.
How to Change the Invoice Number Sequence in QuickBooks Enterprise Suite?
Changing the invoice number sequence in QB Enterprise Suite becomes easier if you go for the Create Invoice tab. After tapping on the Customers option, this tab can be found. Then you will have to choose the Customer, Amount, and Item before heading further.
- Open “QuickBooks Enterprise Suite”.
- Click on “Customers”.
- Then tap on “Create Invoice”.
- The following options are to be selected:
- Go to the field of “Invoice #”.
- Now, type “34000” in the field.
- For finishing the procedure, choose “Save and Close”.
Once a new invoice is created, the sequence that you have set up will be followed with the new number. With this, the method for how to change invoice number sequence in QuickBooks Enterprise Suite should be over.
With the methods showcased in the reading, you would now be able to understand the way to look for an invoice number. As easy it is to find it, changing it may also not be complex. Understanding the concerns of the users, the software provides this flexibility. With customizations, you can edit these numbers or sequences and finally better utilize/organize the invoices.
How to Change Invoice Template in QuickBooks
Customized invoices give your business a professional outlook, and QuickBooks has a lot of those invoices which you can format to suit your business personality. To create a personalized template, follow the steps below for how to change invoice format in Quickbooks.
- Open your QuickBooks then go to the menu bar and click on “customers”. Then select “create invoices” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “print preview” to see how the invoice will look like, and then exit by clicking on close.
- On the create invoices screen, select customize from the drop-down menu and click on manage templates.
- Select the template you prefer and click on ok to open it.
- From the options pane, choose the customization preference. With QuickBooks, you can customize every part of the template and even add other features like notes too.
- Once that is done, click on “print preview” to see how your customized invoice looks like.
- Click on ok and save.
How to Change Company Name on QuickBooks Invoice
In case of company name change, you can update your details in QuickBooks also. The steps listed below will help you do that.
- Log in to your QuickBooks and from the top of the page, click on the gear icon. Then click on account and settings or company setting.
- From the left menu, choose a company and click on the “edit” or pencil icon to change or update your company’s information.
- If the company’s legal name is the same, tick the box beside “same as company name”. And if not, un-tick the box and enter the legal name.
- Click on save and then done.
How to Change Invoice Number Sequence
QuickBooks usually set the invoice number sequentially; however, you can change it yourself if you want. Following the steps below, you will achieve that in no time.
- Log in to your QuickBooks and from the top of the page, click on the gear icon. Then proceed to click on sales form entry.
- Under the custom number section, tick the box beside “customer transaction numbers” and select save.
- You can then proceed to edit the number on your invoice before saving or sending.
Note that QuickBooks will save the new invoice number and automatically continue with the sequence.
Best Alternatives to QuickBooks: FreshBooks
Accounting software does more than record your accounting information; it helps to make sure that your company stays on a healthy financial level. It has become a trend that any business who decide to stop using the excel spreadsheets opt for the QuickBooks Instead. However, there are other alternatives which give you the same service and at a lower price. The FreshBooks is one such alternative; it is effortless to use, affordable and gives you access to the top of notch services.
Change Invoice Number in QuickBooks Desktop
Nowadays, organizations are usually growing bigger in size. As they increase, so does the number of transactions they have to go through. Therefore, the concept of manuals doesn’t come into action.
Thus, invoice numbers play a significant role in this area. They come to your rescue. With QuickBooks, your data is saved with utmost care and organization. All the transactions, therefore, are in the proper order of their invoices. Hence, searching for a transaction becomes relatively easier and faster.
QuickBooks provides a unique number to every data saved in it. Invoice number, thus, assists a user in recognizing transactions. As QB itself assigns the number automatically, the user gets an allotted number in a transaction without his choice. Since it’s not mandatory to go with those default numbers, one can always opt for changing them.
As a result, in this article, we are here to provide you with detailed knowledge on how to change invoice numbers in Quickbooks.
Therefore, do not hesitate to read the whole article.
Reasons Behind Changing Invoice Number
There can be a lot of reasons why one chooses to change invoice numbers. Some of them can be :
- You want to keep them as per your convenience.
- In addition, there is a necessity to keep some invoices with a different name.
- Similarly, in case, you want to keep different invoices for different clients.
- There are some invoices with the same name.
Hence, in any of the above conditions, one decides to change the number.
How to change Invoice number in Quickbooks Online?
There are a lot of ways through which you can change the invoice in QB online. We have provided some of them below :
Solution 1 – Use of Company Settings
- Firstly, Locate the company gear icon.
- Next, go to settings.
- Proceed by selecting the company setting.
- Here, go to the sales form entry option at the left.
- Next, you have to check mark Custom Transaction number box.
- Hit save.
- In the custom transaction numbers, you have to opt your preferences.
- A field with Invoice number as title automatically adds.
- Now, you can enter any number you want to put.
Solution 2 – Use of Accounts and Settings
- First of all, Go to the toolbar. Click on the gear icon.
- Next, go to accounts and settings.
- Here, hit Sales.
- In the sales form content portion, click anywhere.
- After that, the custom transaction number option has to be turned on.
- Click Save.
- Then, tap done.
- Next, you have to open any of the invoices.
- Likewise, in the invoice number field, put the number you want.
Note : Make sure that you turn off the custom transaction number option later. This is to make sure that there are no automatic changes. As there are risks of them happening without any warning.
Solution 3 – Try to edit the duplicated invoice number
If you find out that your invoice number repeats, then use the following method :
- Firstly, Tap on the duplicated invoice to open it.
- Then, Go at the end of this invoice.
- Tap on More.
- Next, click on edit. This will allow you to edit the invoice number.
- After that, hit Save.
If you shift from Quickbooks Online to QB desktop, and still want to continue with invoice numbers, then we’ll tell you how to do that.
You just have to create an invoice and it will automatically pick numbers. Yet, you must customize invoice templates to do so. So to do so :
- First, go to lists.
- Then, select the templates option.
- Next, double click on invoice templates.
- Locate additional customization.
- Here, you mark invoice number below the header tab.
- In addition, do not forget to click on Screen and Print.
- Then, click Ok.
To change these numbers :
- First of all, select the Custom transaction numbers check box.
- Tap Save.
- Next, you have to get a transaction with some new numbers.
- After that, remove the check mark from custom transaction numbers.
- And, hit on Save.
And the task has finished.
The article above has stated the easiest way for you to change the invoice number in Quickbooks Online and Desktop. Likewise, you can try these above steps and hence, get the results you want.
In case, you find any difficulty in comprehending how to change invoice number in Quickbooks online. And, if you are not able to do the same, you can contact us.
Reach out to our support team now through our toll free number. Ours is a team of professionals who skill in their tasks. They have a wide knowledge of Quickbooks. In addition, they are available 24×7 at your help. So, now you can contact us anytime and anywhere. We will be there at your assistance.
Hence, contact our team now and they will themselves help you to change the invoice numbers conveniently.
How To Customize Invoices in QuickBooks Online
In this free QuickBooks Online tutorial, we’re going to cover how to customize the look and feel of your invoices. The custom format you design can also be applied to your sales receipts and estimates, giving your company a consistent and professional look.
QuickBooks Online is our best overall pick for small business accounting software. You’ll get the most out of our tutorial if you follow along in your own QuickBooks Online company. New subscribers can choose between a 30-day free trial or 50% off for three months.
This tutorial is part of our Free QuickBooks Tutorial Series. To complete it, you can watch the video below or read through the step-by-step instructions that follow.
Step 1: Navigate to the Sales Tab in Account and Settings
Customize the design of your invoices in the Sales tab of your company settings. To do this, click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the QuickBooks Online screen and select Account and Settings.
Step 2: Create a New Invoice Template
From the Accounts and settings screen, choose Sales in the left menu bar, then click on the Customize look and feel green button on the Customize section.
QuickBooks Online will take you to the custom form styles window where you can see the list of all the invoice templates you created or you will create. From here, you can create a new sales form, whether it’s an invoice, estimate, or sales receipt. To create a new invoice template, mouse over to the New Style menu on the upper right-hand side of the custom form styles window, and select the invoice drop-down.
Step 3: Customize Your Invoice Template
If this is a new company, the only form style available is the default template named “Standard.” If you want to make only a slight adjustment, you can edit the default template by clicking Edit on the far right side of the line.
There are nine areas to customize the options and defaults on your sales forms, which consist of invoices, receipts, and estimates. Later tutorials will walk you through all nine areas as this tutorial focuses only on the look and feel of your invoices.
There are three tabs in the upper left corner: Design, Content, and Emails. This tutorial will work through the Design tab. The Content tab is included in How to Set Up Sales Form Content in QuickBooks Online while the Email tab is in How to Set Up Messages in QuickBooks Online.
The Design tab deals purely with the aesthetics of your invoice, and there are five areas to design your invoice. If it’s your first time making any changes, you should see the following descriptions:
- Dive in with a template
- Add your unique logo
- Splash on some color
- Get choosy with your font
- When in doubt, print it out
Heads up! The descriptions change as you make changes. For instance, if you already added a logo, the Add your unique logo changes to Make logo edits, so don’t be confused if you’re seeing different descriptions on your screen.
Preview your invoice: The spacing between elements in the invoice preview on the right side of the screen is affected by the dimensions of your screen. To see how your invoice will look, click on Preview PDF in the bottom right corner of the screen.
Step 3.1: Dive in with a Template/Change Up the Template
Step 3.2: Add Your Unique Logo/Make Logo Edits
Step 3.3: Splash on Some Color/Try Other Colors
Step 3.4: Get Choosy With Your Font/Select a Different Font
Step 3.5: When in Doubt, Print It Out/Edit Print Settings
How To Create Custom Estimates and Sales Receipts in QuickBooks Online
Now that you know how to craft a custom template, you can produce custom templates for estimates and sales receipts. The steps are identical to the process we used to create your customized invoice. From the custom form styles screen, click New style, then select either Estimate or Sales receipt.
You have the same design options for estimates and sales receipts as invoices. I suggest that you make the custom format similar to your invoices but different enough that it’s easy to tell each of the forms apart to avoid confusion. It’s important that customers don’t mistake invoices for estimates.
The Importance of Customizing Sales Forms
We highly recommend customizing your invoices, receipts, and estimates to make your business look professional and unique. The default QuickBooks forms aren’t very professional-looking and are used by many businesses. You can build brand awareness and enhance your brand recognition with a well-designed logo on a unique invoice.
Congratulations on customizing the design of your sales forms in QuickBooks Online. Consider making multiple invoice templates for different types of sales. For instance, you might want to omit the shipping address and method for service invoices. Our next tutorial is How to Set Up Sales Form Content in QuickBooks Online, where you’ll learn how to designate what content will show on your invoices, estimates, and sales receipts.