Following are the steps that you need to follow if you want to convert your company file to a newer QuickBooks version. Who doesn’t like an improved upgrade after all?
- Open the new version of QuickBooks.
- Choose File > Open or Restore Company.
- Click Open a company file and then click Next.
4. Browse to your data file, select it, and click Open.
5. If QuickBooks displays the Move Company File window, read and follow the instructions shown there.
6. Read the information in the Update Company File for New Version window, click (check) the box to show you understand, and click Update Now.
7. Follow the instructions to back up your company file, and make a note of where you put it, in case you need to refer to it later.
When the message “You are about to open a company file using a newer version of QuickBooks…Do you want to continue?” appears, click Yes.
(Recommended Steps) After the company file is updated:
Step 1 – Store the backup you created in a safe place until you definitely know that you won’t need it ever again.
Step 2 – If you copied the data file from another computer to update it, copy it back again.
These are all the things you need to be wary off while updating your company file and the process will be implemented with 100% precision.
Update (convert) your company file to a newer version of QuickBooks
After installing a new version of QuickBooks, you update your company data file by opening it in the new version. This process updates company files from any older version of QuickBooks to the newer one.
About updating your data file
- Important: Only the Admin user can update the file
- Do not update over a network.
- After updating your data file, it will not open in previous versions of QuickBooks.
- Enterprise data files only work in Enterprise editions of QuickBooks.
To update your company data file:
- Open the new version of QuickBooks.
- Choose File > Open or Restore Company.
- Click Open a company file and then click Next.
- Browse to your data file, select it, and click Open.
- If QuickBooks displays the Move Company File window, read and follow the instructions shown there.
- Read the information in the Update Company File for New Version window, click (check) the box to show you understand, and click Update Now.
- Follow the instructions to back up your company file, and make a note of where you put it, in case you need to refer to it later.
- When the message “You are about to open a company file using a newer version of QuickBooks…Do you want to continue?” appears, click Yes.
- (Recommended) After the company file is updated:
- Store the backup you created in step 7 in a safe place until you know you will not need it again.
- If you copied the data file from another computer to update it, copy it back again.
- If you installed QuickBooks 2007 or later, the company file from your earlier version of QuickBooks may have been moved to a new folder:
- Windows 8, 7, and Vista: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
If you cannot find your data file in its original location, and if it is not in the specified folder, search your hard drive for *.qbw files and try to find it that way. Be sure to include hidden files and folders in your search criteria
Transfer from Quickbooks Desktop to Quickbooks Online
Moving your file from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online? Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get it done. First, make sure your data is clean and ready to be transferred to Quickbooks Online.
If you are using QuickBooks for Mac, refer instead to Convert QuickBooks Desktop for Mac file to QuickBooks Online .
Step 1: Review some critical information before converting your file
Wondering if you should convert from QuickBooks Desktop? You may want to review this Guide to Converting QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online before your start.
- You can only import QuickBooks Desktop data within the first 60 days of your QuickBooks Online company start date. When you import, your Desktop file will replace your Online file and overwrite any existing information.
- We suggest you keep your data file in QuickBooks Desktop and maintain your transactions on both sets of books until you determine QuickBooks Online is right for your business.
- Some information may not be imported when you move your file.
- Make sure you’re aware of the import limitations and feature differences between QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online.
- If you are using a QuickBooks Desktop version older than 2016, download and install an updated trial, restore your company file, then use it for conversion.
- You must be logged in as the administrator in both your QuickBooks Desktop file and your QuickBooks Online account.
- Start the conversion process from your QuickBooks Desktop company file, not from QuickBooks Online.
- If you’ve already turned on Payroll in QuickBooks Online, don’t attempt to convert your file.
- Make sure all of your sales tax filings are current before migrating. You may need to make adjustment entries to sales tax filings after conversion.
- To be converted successfully, your QuickBooks file must not be over the target limit of 350, 000. To check, press Ctrl+1 on your keyboard, then look for Total Targets.If the file is over the target limit, you’ll only be given the option to import your lists and/or balances when exporting. You can condense your file to reduce the total targets.
- If you receive any errors while importing, you can fix errors when converting to QuickBooks Online.
Step 2: Export your QuickBooks Desktop company data
QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier files
- Open the file you want to export.
- Go to Company > Export Company File to QuickBooks Online.
- Follow the prompts to connect to QuickBooks Online.
Don’t see the option to export? Update your QuickBooks Desktop. Here’s how:
- Go to Help > Update QuickBooks.
- Select all updates in the “Update Now” window, then Get Updates.
- Once the updates are complete, select Close, then File > Exit.
- Start QuickBooks again and finish installing the updates when prompted. These updates may take 15 minutes or more to install, depending on when QuickBooks was last updated.
Important: If the updates are not downloaded and installed completely, the export company link may not appear. If you’re unable to complete the updates, here are the steps to fixing QuickBooks Desktop update errors.
If you are, we do not recommend moving your data from QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise to QuickBooks Online, because data loss is likely to occur.
Before converting, make sure QuickBooks Online is the right fit for you:
- Take a test drive! Try QuickBooks Online using our sample companies.
- To determine if QuickBooks Online offers the features and functionalities you need, review the limitations of converting from Desktop to Online.
- Open your company file.
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl+1 to open the “Product Information” window.
- Press and hold Ctrl, then press B+Q.
- Select OK to close the Product Information.
- Follow the prompts to connect to QuickBooks Online.Note: If the sign-in window doesn’t appear after closing Product Information, repeat steps 1-4.
Step 3: Connect to QuickBooks Online and import your data
- Enter your QuickBooks Online login (your user ID is usually the email address you used to sign up), agree to the Terms of Service, and select Sign in.
- If you have inventory in your file and are importing from QuickBooks Desktop 2016 or later, you will see this screen, otherwise skip to step 3
Importing inventory? You’ll need the Plus or Advanced edition of QuickBooks Online. Simple Start and Essentials don’t have inventory-tracking functionality. If you have extensive inventory, you can track your product items’ quantity on hand in Plus or Advanced.
3. Select the QuickBooks Online company you want to import your data into, or create a new one.
Already created a QuickBooks Online company? Don’t create a new company. Just choose the one you created from the drop-down.
4. Select OK, got it.
You’ll receive an email confirmation once the import is done. Note that it can take up to 24 hours.
Step 4: Connect Your QBO account to HCP and import data
Convert your Company File to a Newer Version in QuickBooks
Get the east steps to Upgrade/Convert your QuickBooks for Mac company files to a newer version
Upgrading or converting your QuickBooks for Mac company files to some new version occasionally is highly essential. Despite the unique benefits and features, an upgrade can make sure a flawless and uncomplicated procedure for your organization.
Upgrading your QuickBooks company file is a simple task, and this article is created to inform you of some basic things before you start upgrading your QuickBooks.
In this article today we are going to explain you that how to Upgrade/Convert QuickBooks for Mac company files to a new version. However, you can take expert advice from the QuickBooks Support team.
Things to know before you start upgrading QuickBooks company file
- Make sure that you have your new version of QuickBooks Mac Desktop software installed before you begin upgrading your company file to enable it to work with the latest version.
- In case you are the solitary user in your company file, then you are automatically an administrator. Else, you are required to sign in and continue with the upgrade.
Important: Please note that in case you are not an administrator and trying to update your QB company file, you will find the message, “The Company file needs to be updated. You can ask your QuickBooks administrator to update file”. Thus you are required to switch to Admin the user and then retry.
- Save QuickBooks Mac Desktop company file locally on the system you are accessing it from.
- It is not suggested to upgrade the file while saved on the network or a mapped drive as this can cause the conversion to be unstable and may risk the file of getting damaged.
- Once you are done with the conversion of the file to the newer version, the older version of the QuickBooks will not be opened.
Nevertheless, the QuickBooks Mac Desktop automatically creates backup of your data file before upgrading it. If in case you are required to use the older version of this you can restore the backup with the old version of QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
If the conversion procedure gets interrupted, you can easily restore the backup with the new version of QuickBooks Mac desktop start upgrade again.
How to Ensure a flawless Upgrade of your QuickBooks Mac File?
Below are some of the hacks which make sure of having a flawless upgrade from the last version of QuickBooks desktop to the new version:
- Rebuild your data and verify the same.
- If the verification is not successful, make use of the QuickBooks log file to locate and resolve the errors.
- After the upgrade is over, run data utility to make sure that the converted data file is in the perfect shape.
Repeat step 2 if this fails.
Prepare Mac Company file for upgrade
- See if there are any special characters in the company file name and change the name of the file if they are found.
- Now, run the ‘custom transaction detail report‘ and enable memo column in that report and then change the date range to all.
- Check for any memos which contain more than ‘50 characters‘ or any special characters.
- If found, make sure to ‘edit‘ these transactions and shorten the memo or eliminate special characters.
- Now run the ‘rebuild utility‘ and backup the data file when prompted and make sure not to overwrite any existing backups.
- Close QuickBooks accounting software.
Steps to upgrade Your QuickBooks Mac Company file
- First of all ensure that you are logged out of your company file.
- Launch a newer version of QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
- Select ‘File‘ and then ‘Open or restore company‘.
- You need to login as a company admin.
- Now browse your data file, choose your company file and then tap to ‘open‘ that.
- Now read the information on upgrade dialog. Select ‘upgrade to continue‘.
- Log into the company file as an ‘Administrator‘.
- Choose ‘OK‘ on following dialog that states the file has been upgraded.
- Once the file gets upgrade:
- Make sure to store the backup in a safe location until you are certain that will not need it again.
- In case you copied the data file from any other system to upgrade it, copy it again.
- In case you are unable to find your data file in its original location and if it is not in the particular folder, search your hard drive for .QBW and you will be able to find all the QuickBooks company files.
We hope you shall be able to upgrade/convert your QB accounting software for Mac Company file to a newer version after reading this blog post. However, in case you face any issue or need assistance with your QuickBooks, you can reach us at +1-888-300-3913.
Our QuickBooks for Mac technical support team is readily available 24/7 to help you out in best possible manner.