QuickBooks is an efficient accounting software introduced to meet your business needs. However, bugs and errors are part and parcel of every software. You might come across QuickBooks error 15106 while using QuickBooks. It is a common issue that occurs due to problems in the update program. The message indicates that the update program has been damaged. When you using QuickBooks payroll and you try to unable update then QuickBooks Update Error 15106 can occur.
What is QuickBooks Error 15106?
Many QuickBooks users across the world face the issue related to QuickBooks Payroll unable to update and receiving QuickBooks error 15106. QuickBooks has never failed to amaze the users with its highly notable features. However, QB does have certain limitations and issues as well and one such issue is error code 15106.
Causes of QuickBooks Update Error 15106
Many users get the messages like – ‘The update program damaged or the update program cannot be opened’ Users often wonder, why such messages pop up on their screen. There are two main causes which are responsible for this.
- At times, Spy Sweeper is present in the webroot anti-virus software.
- Users might not have logged in with the username having admin level rights. In this case, the ability to read and write new files gets limited resulting in the difficulty to perform the required task.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15106?
QB users can follow the below-mentioned methods to resolve error 15106-
- In case the user has not logged in as an administrator, the first thing required is that the user should log in as an Administrator. This may help in resolving QuickBooks update error 15106. In case the issue persists, check out the second fixing method.
- Many times the Spy Sweeper creates the trouble. Users can check out its presence in their systems. For that, the user has to open the Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc. After that, the user has to click on the processes tab and look for Spy Sweeper.exe. User can do one of the below things-
- If it is in the processing tab, the user should delete or uninstall it by opening Add/Remove programs in the Windows. This can help in resolving Error 15106.
- Suppose the user does not find the Spy Sweeper in the computer system, In this case, the user has to open drive C and navigate C:\ Program Files\ Common Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooksxx\ components. Then the user is required to reset QuickBooks update after renaming download<nn> to downloadqb<nn> old. This can help to resolve QB error code 15106.
- In case the above problems fail to resolve error code 15106. In this case, the user has to turn off the User Account Control temporarily depending upon the Windows used by the user.
- If QuickBooks error code 15106 issue still persists in Selective Startup, the user should perform QuickBooks clean install.
The above steps will help you resolve QuickBooks error 15106 in very less time if you still face any problem get in touch with our experts. Call us on our QuickBooks Error Support Number at +1-888-300-3913 for instant guidance.
Fix QuickBooks Error 15106
Comprehensive guide to resolve Error 15106 : The update program cannot be opened while updating QuickBooks Desktop:
QuickBooks is renowned accounting software and has been introduced to provide the best possible assistance in meeting the daily requirements of the business, especially when it comes to accounting and bookkeeping. However, the fact that it is prone to certain errors can’t be denied. One such error is QuickBooks error code 15106. Talking about this error, this kind of issue is often seen when the user updates the program. This error comes up with an error message which indicates that the update program has been damaged. This kind of error is probable to occur when the user is making use of QuickBooks payroll and is unable to update it. There can be plenty of facts associated with update error code 15106, which will be discussed later in this post. Thus, to know more, make sure to read this post till the end.
Moreover, if you are seeking for expert assistance, then you can also contact our QuickBooks payroll tech support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1-844-521-0490. We are a hub of technocrats, who work round the clock, to provide the best possible assistance to QB users.
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks payroll update error 15215?
What QuickBooks Error 15106 means?
Before exploring the causes and solutions to QuickBooks update error 15106, it is highly recommended to first learn what this error is all about. This is basically a payroll update error, which indicates that something is stopping the software from updating all versions of QuickBooks desktop. Error 15106 comes up with an error message stating:
“Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened”
“Error 15106: The update program is damaged”
This error might occur as a consequence of any program or something hindering the update process. There can be various other causes of this error, a few of which are scribbled below.
Triggers to QuickBooks error code 15106
The QuickBooks error code 15106 can be caused due to a couple of factors. These factors include the following:
- The very first and major cause can be in case the antivirus application installed in the system is blocking the update.
- If the user is not logged in as administrator in the system, as the ability to read and write new files gets restricted without admin credentials, it could end up in this annoying error
- Lastly, if the Spy Sweeper is present in the Webroot anti-virus software, and it takes QB update program as a malware activity, this would definitely lead to the QuickBooks error 15106.
It should be noted that, if you have an active QuickBooks desktop payroll subscription, the user is recommended to download the latest tax table after every step, in order to endure that the payroll information isn’t affected.
Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Update Error 15106
Now that you have learnt what all things might cause this error code, it is time to find out ideal solutions to fix the QuickBooks error code 15106. There can be more than one solution to eliminate this bug permanently. Below we have mentioned some of the most relevant solutions to this error, let us have a look:
Method 1: Logging in the system with admin credentials
Talking about the fixation methods, the user can log in the system with admin credentials. If you have logged in as a different user, then in that case you must login as admin. You are simply required to right click the QuickBooks desktop icon, and then select Run as Administrator.
Performing this step will change the access to administrator. This will provide you with admin privileges, and this would resolve your issue.
Method 2: Clean install QuickBooks in selective startup mode
In case the above method failed to fix the issue, then you can opt for clean install in selective startup mode. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- In this method, the user is supposed to create a backup of the company file.
- After that the user needs to keep a copy of the QuickBooks product and license info.
- The next step is to start the system in selective startup mode, in order to ensure that no other application is hindering in completing the task.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to uninstall or install QuickBooks desktop.
- Now end the process by switching back to the normal startup mode. Hopefully, this would fix the error
Method 3: Turning off User Account Control (UAC)
Another method that one can opt for is to turn off User Account Control. This method can also help the users in getting rid of QuickBooks error 15106 up to a great extent. The steps to be followed to turn off UAC for Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7 are:
- The very first step is to press Windows + R keys and then open the Run window
- After that, the user is recommended to type in Control panel and hit OK button
- The user is now required to choose the User Accounts, and then make sure to select User Accounts (Classic View).
- Now, click on Change user account control settings option. (It should be noted that if the user is promoted by UAC, then select Yes to continue).
- After that, move the slider:
- Set it to Never Notify and then click on OK, to turn UAC OFF.
- Or Set it to Always Notify and then click on OK, to turn on UAC.
- The last step is to reboot the system.
Method 4: Stop Antivirus and rename folders
This is the last method that one can opt for, in case the above methods failed to eliminate the bug. The steps to be performed are:
- First of all, the user needs to press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keys together, to open Task manager.
- And then, move to the Processes tab, and then look for [ANTIVIRUS].exe. For example: Spy Sweeper.exe. It should be noted that if an error is encountered, then uninstalling the antivirus application is recommended.
- After that select, End Process.
- Followed by renaming the QuickBooks update folder.
- Press Windows + E keys and open file explorer.
- And then, move to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components.
- For 64- bit users, move to C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components.
- The next step is to right click on the downloadqbXX folder, and then click on the rename option. Note that the XX used here stands for the year of version of your QuickBooks.
- Now, add .old to the end of the name.
- And end the process by re-updating QuickBooks desktop.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error code 2107?
To wrap up!
QuickBooks error code 15106 can be easily rectified by carrying out the processes mentioned above. However, there can be a situation that none of the methods worked in fixing the issue, due to multiple reasons. In such a case, make sure to reach out to some professional with renowned experience and expertise. You can also contact our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team via our toll-free number i.e. +1-888-300-3913.
Our team of experts and certified professionals will ensure to provide the best possible support round the clock, and will help you remove any QuickBooks related bug permanently. Thus, feel free to call us anytime, and we will be happy to help you!
How You Can Fix QuickBooks Error 15106?
No Doubt QuickBooks is an excellent program for accounting with simple usable features helpful to handle day-to-day accounting operations of business operations. But errors can be one of the annoying things to deal with. QuickBooks error 15106 is one of such errors.
Further, you will get to know about the error 15106 QuickBooks.
What is QuickBooks Error 15106?
QB Error 15106 is a payroll update error, which means that something is stopping the software from updating all versions of QuickBooks Desktop. You will get one of the following error messages that will appear on your screen:
“Error 15106: The Update program cannot be opened” or “Error 15106: The Update program is damaged”.
In this blog, you will get to know the causes of QuickBooks Error 15106 along with the solutions. Also, we have discussed the ways to find out QB error code 15106.
When does QuickBooks Error 15106 occur?
QB Error 15106 is usually when the user is trying to download the QuickBooks Desktop updates. You will get an error message that you are unable to launch the updated program.
The problem here is that there is something that is stopping the QuickBooks update program from starting.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 15106
1. Spy Sweeper is the webroot antivirus program.
Spy Sweeper causes this error to happen because it takes QuickBooks update program as malware which downloads unwanted stuff into the computer. go through the following steps to check whether Spy Sweeper is running :
Step 1: Open Task Manager by Press Ctrl+Alt+Esc.
Step 2: Now click on “More Details” at the left bottom tab of the window.
Step 3: Under the “Processes” tab, find “SpySweeper.exe”.
2. If in case, You are not logged in as the administrator.
An administrator, in a computer system, is a person who has the right to modify the core entries of a computer system like registries, programs, adding or modifying user accounts, etc. Installing or updating any program on Windows needs administrator access. If you don’t have the administrator credentials, then the error 15106 might pop up.
Follow the steps mentioned below to check whether you have logged in as administrator or not:
Step 1: Open Control Panel and select User Accounts.
Step 2: Click on Users. If “Administrator” is displayed under your account picture, then you have logged in as the administrator.
You May Also Read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 2000?
Steps to Fix the QuickBooks Error 15106
Given below are all the probable solutions to resolve Error 15106. You just need to attempt these solutions to get rid of the same error instantly:
Solution 1: Uninstall Spy Sweeper
If you find “SpySweeper.exe” in the task manager, follow the steps:
- Open “Add/Remove Programs” and look for Spy Sweeper.
- Click on it and select “Uninstall”.
- Follow the steps to uninstall it.
Solution 2: Logging in as the Administrator
Log in from another account that has administrator privileges or asks your network administrator to grant you administrator privileges and try running the program again.
Solution 3: Reset Update
If you are logged in as the Administrator and can’t find Spy Sweeper, you need to reset the update. Open C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooksxx\Components. Look for a folder called downloadqb<nn> and rename it to download<nn>.old.
Solution 4: Perform a clean installation of QuickBooks
In this method, you first need to uninstall QuickBooks and then, reinstall it. Therefore, this method will help you to resolve QB Error code 15106.
In conclusion, we hope that one of the above solutions assisted you in resolving QuickBooks Error 15106. But, in some cases, the user finds difficult to deal with this error and unable to fix it. If you are also stuck at any step while trying any of the above-mentioned solutions then, you may call up QuickBooks Error Support Phone Number +1-888-300-3913. We have an excellent network of customer care centers which will be happy in sorting out the issues for you. QuickBooks Experts are available 24/7 to resolve any type of QuickBooks issues or errors.
Fix QuickBooks Error 15106
Nowadays, millions of QuickBooks user encounters problems related to QB Payroll unable to update. This problem generally appears with an error code 15106. QB accounting software has never failed to amaze their users with its highly notable & beneficial features. But there always some limitation and restriction in QB tool, one of such issue is QB error 15106. There is no such problem in QuickBooks which cannot be resolve – Error 15106 is one of them.
In this blog, we have discussed about QuickBooks error code 15106 and it’s causes. However, you can save your precious time and efforts by calling QuickBooks error support team performing the below given technical steps
Possible Causes of Payroll Error 15106
QuickBooks users receive this error code with the warning or error messages on display.
“The update program is damaged”
“The update program cannot be opened”
The two major causes of this error code given below:
- Antivirus or system security application installed in the machine.
- There must be some limitation to write or read the new file because the QB user not logged in as an administrator.
Solution of QuickBooks Payroll Unable to Update Error Code 15106
Check out and perform the steps given below. It’s not necessary to complete all the steps you can try a few of them and try to download the latest tax table. However, you can get in touch with QuickBooks Error support team to resolve QB Errors instantly.
- Firstly, Log in or sign in as a system administrator.
- Verify if you have any antivirus software running on the computer, for example, Webroot Spyware Sweeper.
- Now hit enter by following the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys on the keyboard of your computer.
- Search for the Spy Sweeper.exe file on the Processes tab. If didn’t see any such option, go with the step 4.
- Choose the Spy Sweeper.exe file and then End Process.
Note: If you receive an error, you suppose to uninstall the Webroot Spyware Sweeper by using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows.
- Go to the C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components.
- Change the name of the downloadqbxx folder to downloadqbxx.old.
- Reset the QuickBooks Desktop update.
- In case, you are using the 64-bit – go to the C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\Quickbooks(year)\Components
- In the “downloadqbxx.old”, “xx” stands for the QuickBooks version year .i.e. downloadqb18 for QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
- If the issue persists even and you are unable to update QuickBooks, disable your antivirus software.
- Next, disable Windows Defender on your computer.
- If you are a Windows 8 user – turn off the User Account Control (UAC) temporarily. Here are the steps to change UAC settings in Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7):
- Open Run box by pressing Windows+R keys.
- Type Control Panel in the open box and select OK.
- Select User Accounts and then select User Accounts (Classic View).
- Select Change user account control settings. (Note: Select Yes to continue if you receive a prompt).
- Move the slider and set to Never Notify.
- Select OK to turn UAC OFF.
- If you have to turn UAC notifications on, select OK. (Note: Select Yes to continue if you receive a prompt).
- Restart the computer.
- If you are unable to download the updates – perform clean install in the Selective Startup.
Get Instant Customer Help
It has seen that many QB users face frustrating error codes and issues related to their accounting software. Due to this, we have a specialized team of Intuit QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisors gathered in a team.
For any issue, you can directly contact us at our QuickBooks Payroll toll-free support number with no hesitation .i.e. +1-888-300-3913. We are always ready to help you with our 24 hour of customer service facility.