One of the most common errors QuickBooks POS users encounter while utilizing QB Point of Sale is QuickBooks Error 176109. This error usually occurs when a user tries to register or open POS. It displays an error message “Invalid Product Code / Invalid Product Number” on the user’s computer screen. Several reasons can trigger this error in Point of Sale, and we need to investigate each of them to rectify the issue. For detailed troubleshooting instructions, follow the entire article until the end.
What is the meaning of QuickBooks Error 176109?
QuickBooks Error 176109 is a Point of Sale product registration error that appears when you activate or launch QuickBooks Desktop POS after installation. This Error triggers an error message that reads “Error code 176109: Invalid Product Code or Invalid Product Number.” However, apart from using an incorrect product activation key, there could be other reasons that can trigger error 176109 that you will find in the next section of this article.
What Technical Issues Triggers Error 176109 in Point of Sale
QuickBooks Point of Sale is a different version of QuickBooks specially developed to deal with inventory management chores. Running Point of Sale requires additional configuration, and any glitch in the application or its configuration can trigger errors like 176109. Here is a list of all those reasons due to which you can get error code 176109 in QB Point of Sale.
- QuickBooks Point of Sale Entitlement Folder is corrupt or damaged.
- The product code used to install Point of Sale is not correct.
- The user does not have administrative rights on the computer.
- Before troubleshooting, make sure to take a backup of your company data file.
- Check QuickBooks POS for updates, as you will need the latest version of Point of sale to resolve the issue.
- You need to delete the entitlement folder from Windows that is hidden, so change the windows settings to show hidden files.
Display Hidden Files in Windows 7 and Windows Vista:
- Click the Windows Start button and select My Computer.
- Under the Organize tab, select Folder and Search Options.
- Under the View tab, click Show Hidden Files and Folders.
- Now unmark Hide Protected System Operating Files and click Yes.
- Click Apply and then click OK.
Display Hidden Files in Windows 8 and 8.1:
- Open Windows Explorer by pressing Windows + E on the keyboard.
- Select the File Extension under the View tab and click Hidden Items.
Display Hidden Files in Windows 10:
- Click the Folder icon at the bottom of the screen in the System Tray.
- Click, Hidden Items under the View tab.
Troubleshooting Steps to Rectify Invalid Product Code or Invalid Product Number Error:
Try deleting all the Items inside Entitlement Folder
The files inside the Entitlement Client folder get damaged can trigger several running QuickBooks and POS. Once you get rid of these files, QuickBooks will recreate them on startup.
- Navigate to C:\ Program Data \Intuit\ Entitlement Client\ v8 and press Control + A to select all the files inside the folder.
- Press the Delete Key, and for confirmation, click Yes.
- Now open the QuickBooks POS and try registering the application again.
Try Renaming WS Activity File
Damage in the WS Activity file is also why you can get errors while running QuickBooks Desktop POS. Once you rename the file, QuickBooks will not recognize it and create a new one for its operations.
- Navigate to C: \Program Data\ Intuit\ QuickBooks Point of Sale\ Ini folder.
- Right-click the WSActivity file and rename it to OLDWSActivity.
- Exit this window and delete the Entitlement folder once again.
- Now open QuickBooks POS.
Try Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop POS
Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop is the last resort to get rid of error 176109. Follow the instructions below and quickly get a fresh copy of QuickBooks installed on your system for a permanent fix of the error.
- Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel.
- Under Control Panel, select Uninstall a Program.
- Double click QuickBooks POS from the list and select Uninstall/Change.
- Click Uninstall, and wait for the uninstallation process to complete.
- If you have, QB Setup file in a CD, then insert it into your computer, click the Setup file to install QB POS, or download it from Intuit’s® website and follow the on-screen instructions for a fresh installation.
Hopefully, this troubleshooting method will help you resolve QuickBooks Error 176109, but if you need the help of an expert to perform this troubleshooting for you, don’t hesitate and call Our Point of Sale Number now and get connected with certified experts.
QuickBooks Error 176109 | QB POS Invalid Product Number (Fixed)
QuickBooks error 176109 is a common issue that users may face while using QuickBooks Point of Sale. The error typically occurs when a user tries to open or register the Point Of Sale application. An error message abruptly appears on your screen that says, “Invalid Product Code / Invalid Product Number.” The error message depicts that the product code used for the registration of the QuickBooks POS is not correct. However, several other issues may also promote QuickBooks error 176109. Here in this blog post, we will discuss the possible causes behind the error and troubleshooting them one after the other.
What Gives Rise To QuickBooks Point Of Sale Error 176109?
When you get Invalid product number warning 176109, there can be several reasons behind this error code while using QuickBooks POS. Below are some of the common reasons that can trigger the QuickBooks Error 176109:
- Corrupt or damaged QB POS entitlement folder is one of the most apparent reasons behind the QB error code 176109
- Lack of proper admin rights can also bring forth error code while registering POS
- You may receive QuickBooks error message 176109 due to wrong product code while installing Point Of Sale
Things to Keep In Ming before Troubleshooting Error 176109 in QuickBooks POS:
Considering the below-given cautionary points can make the troubleshooting process more effective and less troublesome:
- Create a backup of your company file before getting started with the troubleshooting steps. It can prevent a daunting data-disaster.
- Make sure that the QuickBooks POS is updated to the latest maintenance release. If not, get it done before trying the error-removal steps.
- Since, QuickBooks POS entitlement folder is a hidden folder in Windows, you need to change the Windows settings to show hidden files. You may need to delete this folder to resolve this error (176109).
How to Fix QuickBooks Error code 176109: Invalid Product Code or Invalid Product Number?
Below are some effective troubleshooting steps that can help you to overcome the QuickBooks error message: invalid product number.
Solution 1: Delete All Items From Within Entitlement Folder
The QB Point of Sale entitlement files inform the software that the product is valid and registered. To re-enter the product and license information in the QuickBooks, you need to find these files and delete them. To get it done, follow the below-listed steps:
- Navigate to C:\ Program Data \Intuit\ Entitlement Client\ v8, and once the folder is open, you need to press CTRL + A to select all the files inside the folder
- Now hit the Delete Key and then click Yes to confirm the action
- Now open the QuickBooks POS and try registering the application again
If QuickBooks error 176109 persists, try the next troubleshooting method.
Solution 2: Rename WS Activity File
To rename the WS activity file, you need to follow the below-explained steps:
- Press Windows + E to open Windows Explorer
- Navigate to C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale XX\Ini.
- Now you need to right-click WSActivity and then select Rename from the drop-down list
- Add OLD at the starting of WSActivity (i.e., OLDWSActivity) and save it
- Exit Windows and perform solution one again.
On getting same error again, move to the next solution.
Solution 3. Check if Clean Installing QuickBooks POS can Fix the Error
Clean installing the QuickBooks Point of Sale can help resolve issues during the installation or when running the software. Here are the steps to perform the clean installation:
Firstly, uninstall QuickBooks POS
- To open the run window, tap Windows and R keys together on your keyboard.
- Write “Control Panel” in the Run window and tap on Enter
- Next, select Programs and Features.
- Click on Uninstall/Change after selecting QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0 from the list of programs.
- Follow the instructions to complete the process.
Secondly, copy the Point of Sale data folder and paste it to the desktop. At the end of the folder name, add .OLD. Doing this will prevent QuickBooks POS from recognizing the folder and QuickBooks will create a new one. Now, follow the steps given below to delete the QBPOSDBSrvUSER Windows user:
- Click on the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Next, choose User Accounts and then Manage another account.
- Click Continue in the User Account window.
- Choose QBPOSDBSrvUser and click Delete the account.
- Affirm the folder is deleted.
- Reboot the system.
Now, reinstall the QuickBooks Point of Sale.
Still Getting QuickBooks POS Error 176109?
If you are not able to properly follow the troubleshooting steps, dial our QB support helpline number and get QuickBooks error code 176109 resolved in no time.
3 Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 176109
What is Error Code 176109 in QuickBooks
QuickBooks Error 176109 occurs while opening or using QuickBooks POS. This error means that some authentication files are missing or have been corrupted. An incorrect product code can also be one of the reasons. Resolve this issue by performing a Clean Install of QuickBooks POS or try to rename the WS Activity file.
Error: QuickBooks Error 176109
Error Message: “Error code 176109: Invalid Product Code or Invalid Product Number”.
QuickBooks Point of Sale booms the productivity of the retail business. When using it there might take place unpredicted errors like other software. QuickBooks POS invalid product number error code 176109 is one of them. It often encounters when users try to open or perform the registration process in QuickBooks Desktop POS. let’s delve into the troubleshooting guide to fix frustrating error 176109. Before starting to resolve the issue it is beneficial to go through the overview and causes of QuickBooks error 176109.
What is QuickBooks Error Code 176109?
QuickBooks error 176109 is also known as QuickBooks Point of Sale invalid product because the major reason behind the error is incorrect number code or product code. This error message notifies that the key authentication files are destroyed or missing. The error is frequently seen when you attempt to open the QB point of Sale. To write and read the files without creating the interruption the QuickBooks require administrative level permissions. If failed then it might display QuickBooks POS invalid product number error.
What is QuickBooks POS Error Code 176109?
QuickBooks POS Error Code refers to a usual error encountered by QBPOS that comes with an error message – “Product Code or typed in is incorrect and invalid”. There are multiple reasons that are responsible for the occurrence of the error. They are below-mentioned.
Reason for Occurrence of QuickBooks POS Invalid Product Number Error Code 176109
Below-described is the list of reasons behind the occurrence of the QuickBooks error 176109:
- During the POS installation in case, the product number or code that you enter is incorrect.
- The user forgot to log in with the desktop Window Operating System as Administrator.
- US English is not configured as the regional language setting.
- Damaged/Corrupt files stored under QuickBooks Point of Sale Entitlement folder.
- Missing or corrupted important content of the folder which says POS entitlement folder
- When trying to use the wrong product number or code during the installation of QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Users do not have administrative level permission to open the files
3 Steps to fix QuickBooks POS invalid Product Number Error 176109
Let’s walk through some of the resolutions to resolve the QuickBooks POS invalid product number with error code 176109:
Method 1- Delete the information in the entitlement client folder
For Windows 8:
- First of all hit on the Start option
- Select File Explorer
- It will display File Explorer window
- Locate View option
- Verify the checkbox with hidden items
- Now follow the path C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- Press Ctrl+A; It will select the entire content
- Click on the Delete button
For Window 7 and Vista:
- First of all, give a right-click on the Start option
- Write Windows Explorer
- Press enter key
- It will open Windows Explorer
- Discover organize option and then choose the Folder button
- Hit on the View option and then click on Show hidden files
- After this locate the
- path “C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8“
- Choose all files and then hit on Delete button
- Re-open the Point of sale to check the registration process
Read Also: QuickBooks Point of Sale Error 181016 Chat Now
Method 2-Rename the WS activity file:
- Initially open the Windows Explorer
- After this follow the C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale XX\Ini.
- Find WS activity and now give a right-click on it
- Click on Rename button
- Write OLD WS Activity
- Afterward, you have to click on anywhere to save the applied change
- Close the window and delete the folder named an entitlement
- Reopen the QB point of sale
Method 3: Do a clean install of QuickBooks Point of Sale
To start this procedure it is highly recommended to create and save the backup of the company files because it might delete the entire content. Follow the below steps to perform the re-installation of the QuickBooks Point of Sale:
Step 1-Proceed with an Un-installation of QuickBooks Point of Sale:
Follow the below steps:
- First of all click on the Start button
- Write Control panel into the box
- It will display a control Panel Window
- Choose Program and Features
- Search for the QuickBooks Point of the sale in the listed programs
- Now you have to hit on uninstall button
- After this follow the prompts to finish the installation process.
Step 2-Give new name to all point of sale-related folders:
You have to embed old at folder end; it will block QuickBooks from acknowledging the folders for generating a new one
Step 3-Re-installation the QuickBooks Point of Sale:
Here are the steps you need to follow to the installation of Point of Sale:
- Firstly download the QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale
- Now save to the desired location
- Give a click to the POS file
- It will run the POS installation process
- Hit on the Yes button and after this overwrite the extracted files
- After this hit on the Next button and start the installation process
- Ensure that you go through the license agreement
- Now confirm by clicking on I accept the terms of the license agreement
- After this hit on the Next button
- Write the license and product numbers
- Once done hit on the Yes option
- At last, choose the number of systems to be used for Point of sale
Step 4- Restore your company file:
- Firstly Open your QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Make a new company file
- Now restore the backup that you have created
- Check you have resolved the error if not then re-register the QuickBooks POS
Hopefully, the above-given information related to QuickBooks POS invalid product number error 176109 troubleshooting guide is helpful! If you still face any difficulty in implementing any of the methods then connect yourself to the QB experts via live chat. You will get instant resolution to save valuable time!
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 176109? Invalid Product Code!
While using QuickBooks, Users could encounter a number of software system problems. In this blog, we will be discussing one such error code i.e. QuickBooks Error 176109.
What is QuickBooks Error 176109?
QuickBooks Point of Sale invalid product variety additionally mentioned as QuickBooks Error 176109 is expounded to invalid product code. This error message says that the key authentication files are essentially corrupted or missing. The error arises once you try and open QuickBooks Point of Sale. QuickBooks desires enough permission to scan and write the files without any interruption. If it doesn’t get admin level permission, then QuickBooks POS invalid product variety is probably going to appear.
The reasons for the prevalence of the QuickBooks Invalid Product Number Error code 176109 is following:
- When the contents of the Point of Sale title folder are missing or broken.
- The product code or product variety is employed to put in the QuickBooks Point of Sale to QB Desktop. If this code used is wrong then QuickBooks Error 176109 error can appear.
- When the user does not have admin-level permission to access the files.
Fix QuickBooks POS Invalid Product Number Error 176109: Solutions
Here are a couple of solutions to resolve the QuickBooks POS invalid product number error 176109:
Solution 1: Delete the contents of the entitlement client folder
- Using windows person, follow the pathway C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- Press Ctrl + A to choose all the files.
- Then press the Delete option.
- Click on YES to verify the action.
- Now open the QuickBooks Point of Sale and register the application again.
Solution 2: Renaming the WS Activity file
- Using windows explorer, follow the pathway C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale XX\Ini.
- Right-click on WS Activity.
- Choose Rename.
- Enter OLD WS Activity and click on anyplace to save
- Now shut the windows.
- Delete the Entitlement folder.
- Now relaunch the QuickBooks Point of Sale.
Solution 3: Perform a clean install of QuickBooks Point of Sale
If the top of solutions doesn’t solve the matter, try installing the QuickBooks Point of Sale once again. Before acting on the clean install ensure to make a backup of the files. Below are the steps to re-install the QuickBooks Point of Sale:
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Go to the panel.
- Click on Program and Features.
In the list of Programs, choose QuickBooks Point of Sale.
- Then click on uninstall.
- Follow the prompts to finish the method.
Step 2: Rename all the purpose of Sale Folders
Add OLD at the end of every folder. This prevents QuickBooks from recognizing the folders so as to make a brand new one.
Step 3: Re-install the Point of the Sale
- Follow the steps to install the Point of Sale.
Step 4: Restore the corporate files
- Open QuickBooks Point of Sale, produce a brand new corporate file. Restore the backup created.
- Open Point of Sale to verify whether or not the problem is resolved.
- Register QuickBooks Point of Sale once more.
The solutions provided above should fix the QuickBooks Error 176109, however, if you experience any interruptions using any of those solutions, or if the error does not resolve, reach out to our tech support contact number for immediate support.
Advanced Troubleshooting for QuickBooks Error 176109
QuickBooks users might face several technical issues while operating POS, and QuickBooks error 176109 is one of those issues. This error is related to Invalid product code or number and usually occurs when a user opens or register the point of sale application. An error message pops up on the screen saying “invalid product code/ Invalid product number” Which means that the product code used for the registration of the QuickBooks POS is incorrect. Through this article, we will discuss the reasons behind the error and detailed methods to fix it.
Possible Reasons behind QuickBooks Error Code 176109
Some reasons for the appearance of QuickBooks error code 176109 are as follows:
- When the QB point of sale entitlement folder gets corrupt or damaged.
- Admin not having proper rights to access the files can be a reason for the error.
- If the product code or product number used while installing QuickBooks point of sale application is not correct, then QuickBooks error 176109 will appear.
Points to Remember before Troubleshooting QuickBooks POS Error 176109
You should keep in mind a few points to conduct the process of troubleshooting QuickBooks POS error 176109 efficiently and effectively. These are as follows:
- Create a backup of your company file to prevent any data damage or loss before resolving the issue.
- Update your QuickBooks POS to the latest version and ensure that latest maintenance release has been installed.
- Unhide the hidden folders before starting the troubleshooting process as QuickBooks POS entitlement folder is normally hidden.
How to Resolve QuickBooks Invalid Product Code or Invalid Product Number Error?
Various methods can be applied to resolve QuickBooks invalid product code or invalid product number issue depending on the reason causing it. Various methods have been provided below for you:
Method 1: Delete all Items within Entitlement Folder
Deleting items within the entitlement folder can help resolve the QuickBooks error 176109 if there had been an issue with it. This helps QuickBooks to create a fresh folder and amend file corruption. The detailed steps are as follows:
- You need to download the Clear Entitlement File Tool.
- The tool comes in a zip folder so unzip it on your Desktop.
- Double click on the file to install it.
- Run it after installation, and it would perform the process itself.
- Open the QuickBooks POS application again and then perform the registration.
If you don’t want to perform the process through the tool, then you can perform it manually too through these steps:
- Open the Windows Explorer on your computer by pressing the Windows key and E key simultaneously.
- Enter the address “C:\ProgramData\Intuit\ Entitlement Client\v8.
- Press Ctrl + A to select all the files and then click on the ‘Delete’ option.
- Press the ‘Yes’ button to confirm the process.
- You will need to open the application again and perform the registration to complete the process.
Solution 2: Rename WS Activity File if you get Invalid Product Number POS Warning
If the error persists after deleting the entitlement folder and you still get invalid product number POS warning, then you need to rename the WS Activity file to resolve the issue. Follow the steps as provided below:
- Reach the Windows explorer of your computer.
- Reach the ‘Program Data’ folder and then open the ‘Intuit’ folder.
- You have to reach and open the QuickBooks Point of Sale XX folder and then reach the file with ‘Ini’ extension.
- Right-click on the WSActivity and select the ‘Rename’ option.
- Enter “OLDWSActivity” and then press the ‘Enter’ key to save.
- You should also delete the items from the entitlement folder after this step, the steps have been provided in the previous section.
- Relaunch the application and register with your credentials.
If this process also fails to resolve the issue, then you would need to clean install your QuickBooks POS application.
Method 3: Clean Install QuickBooks POS when Invalid Product Number Appears
Follow the stepwise guide provided below to clean install QuickBooks POS and resolve the invalid product number issue. You should make sure to create a backup of your files before performing the steps to avoid any data damage.
- Uninstall the QuickBooks POS from the ‘Control Panel’ of your computer.
- Open the ‘Control Panel’ again and click on ‘Program and Features’ option.
- Select the QuickBooks Point of Sales from the list of programs.
- Click on the ‘Uninstall’ button.
- Rename all the previous POS folders in your computer with (.OLD) extension.
Now, you have to reinstall the application in a clean setup and then restore the company file.
- Open the application and create a new company file.
- Restore the backup that you had created earlier.
- Open the application again and check if the error has been resolved.
- Register the application with your credentials.
QuickBooks POS Invalid Product Number- Error 176109
QuickBooks is one of the most-used accounting software these days. Like every software, there are some errors that a user can face while working on the QuickBooks software. QuickBooks POS invalid product number is one such error. The error code of this problem is 176109. Some people still do not know what to do if they face this error. So keeping this in mind, we have come up with a full article about this error. We have mentioned different ways in which you can resolve this error easily. There are different ways and you can choose one whichever works best for you.
A Brief Introduction of POS Invalid Product Number
You might face this error often. You face this error if there is any corruption or correction in your point of sale product key number. You get this error majorly if your product number is missing or maybe your files are corrupted. If you are trying to open QuickBooks point of sale you might have to face this error. There are chances that your QuickBooks software does not have permissions as an administrator or does not have all the permissions that it requires. We have tried to help you to resolve this error in the below sections. Know how can you set up and install the QuickBooks desktop on your system.
Method 1: You can try to rename the WS activity file
The first method is that you can try to rename the WS activity file. Follow the below steps.
- In your windows explorer, search your QuickBooks point of sale file. You can find it in your C drive.
- Go to the WS file and right-click on the file. A menu will open. Look for the rename option.
- You will be needed to prefix OLD with your WS activity file.
- You are required to repeat the same procedure.
Method 2: Remove all the content of the client entitlement folder
The next method is to remove all the contents that are present in the entitlement client folder. You can do it either manually or automatically. We have mentioned steps for both ways.
Automatically delete content
Follow the steps below.
- If you want to remove the contents of the client entitlement folder, you will need a clear entitlement tool. You can download it on your system.
- A zip file will be downloaded. Make sure you unzip the file on the desktop.
- Once you have unzipped the file, right-click on it to run.
- You will be required to run the QuickBooks point of sale and register again.
Delete the content manually
If you do not want to download the tool, you can perform the process manually. Follow the below steps.
- The first step to delete manually is to find the folder using windows explorer. You need to open windows explorer and look for the client entitlement file.
- You may find it in your C drive in the Intuit folder.
- Open the client entitlement folder and press the Ctrl key and the A key. It will select all the files present in the folder.
- Press the shift key and delete key to permanently delete the items.
- once you are done with it, You are required to again start the QuickBooks point of sale and register again.
Reinstall the QuickBooks point of sale using a clean install
This is the last solution we have come up with. If you are opting for this option, make sure you make up a back up of your existing files. You can also use QuickBooks clean install tool to reinstall the QuickBooks on your system. know everything about the QuickBooks clean install tool. Follow the below steps.
- From your control panel, look for the QuickBooks point of sale software.
- Click on change or uninstall a program. You can then click on the uninstall option.
- Once it is uninstalled, go to the point of sale folder.
- You are needed to rename every file or folder present. Prefix old in front of them.
- Once you are done with this, you will have to install the point of sale software again.
- The next step is to restore all the backup files that you have created earlier.
- Lastly, open the software and check if your issue is resolved or not.
This was all about the QuickBooks invalid pos number error. You will be able to solve the error by pursuing ay of the methods that we have mentioned above. In case one method didn’t work for you, you can try another. And if none of these worked for you, contact our support team.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to find my product number?
To find your product number, you will have to go to the QuickBooks software. Then you have to press key F2. You will see a prompt with all the details of your product like product name, product number, and much other information.
Can I change my license number or the product number?
Yes, you can change the license or the product number. In the help section of your QuickBooks software, you will be required to go to the manage license section. There you will see an option to change your license number. Type your new license number and submit it. Once done, you will be able to see a new license number associated with your account.