Being unable to send crucial business emails can ruin your day of the job, productivity, and can even entail business loss. If you are also unable to send your invoices using QuickBooks Desktop Webmail feature, then the problem is very likely related to the incorrect webmail preferences. One common error that several QuickBooks users encounter while sending emails using QuickBooks Desktop is “QuickBooks could not connect to email server” error. To guide you through the hassles of sending email through QuickBooks we have prepared this article in which we have listed the several reasons that cause “Couldn’t Connect to the Email Server” error along with a step-by-step troubleshooting method.
QuickBooks Couldn’t Connect to Email Server Error – Description
Lack of proper application setup and failure to configure correct Windows firewall rules not only cause server connection error while sending emails but also triggers several other errors. Here is the exact description of the server connection error that a user encounters while sending emails from QuickBooks:
Couldn’t Connect to Email Server We were unable to connect to the email server for your email provider. Please select the correct option below to continue. Change Password Retry Cancel
Common Reasons that Cause Server Connection Error While Sending Email
Following is the list of some of the most common reasons that cause QuickBooks to display “Couldn’t Connect to the Email Server” error:
- Your internet connection is experiencing downtimes, or you are not connected to the internet.
- QuickBooks also displays server connection error when your email server settings are not properly configured.
- While logging in to your email, you have used an incorrect ID or password.
- Your QuickBooks Desktop application is not updated to the latest released version.
- Improper Internet Explorer settings are hindering QuickBooks connection with the email server.
- When QuickBooks does not have the necessary admin rights on Windows, then also it encounters errors while sending emails.
IMPORTANT: Installing updates of your QuickBooks Desktop application on a regular basis is always a good practice as it ensures your application is free from most recent bugs and application flaws. Before applying the troubleshooting mentioned further in this article, make sure to Update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest released version.
Solutions to Apply when QuickBooks Cannot Email Invoices because of Server Connection Error
Solution 1: Verify the Settings under Webmail Preferences
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and from under the Edit tab click Preferences.
- Click Send Forms from the left side of the screen.
- Choose the email account that you are using to send emails from under My Preferences.
- Click Edit and from the Edit Email Info window navigate to the SMTP Server Details area.
- Now enter the correct server name and port number. For reference visit Common Email Server Addresses (POP3 / IMAP / SMTP)
- Save the settings and try to send an invoice once again using QuickBooks Webmail.
Solution 2: Reset your Internet Explorer to the Default Settings
- Open Internet Explorer and click the Gear icon at the top right corner of the window.
- Select Internet Options and navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Click Restore Advanced Settings and then OK.
- Exit Internet Explorer and try to send the email once again.
NOTE: Sometimes Windows Firewall and other firewall/antivirus applications restrict QuickBooks and other applications to send information outside to the home network that results in errors while sending emails. Exit out any security application for a while and try to send email from QuickBooks. If turning-off security application resolves the error, then you need to reconfigure the app for a permanent fix. You can contact the application provider/vendor for detailed instructions, or you can call Support at (844)-888-4666 for help.
Solution 3: Assign Windows User the Admin Rights to Run QuickBooks with Admin Rights
For detailed instructions, follow our article How to Create or Add a User with Administrator Rights on Windows.
The above mentioned are some of the troubleshooting instructions for some common reasons that cause QuickBooks could not Connect to the Email Server error. There are still chances that the error might reappear after the troubleshooting if it is caused by some lesser-known reasons. In case, if you are still struggling to resolve the error and need the help of an expert, then you can reach us at our Direct Helpline Number +1-888-300-3913.
Fix QuickBooks Error: “Could not Connect to the Email Server”
QuickBooks Desktop can be used for most of the businesses. QuickBooks keeps updating itself since it has been launched. QuickBooks Error: “Could not connect to the Email Server”. After every interval of time, it comes with some advanced technology and tools. However, as it is software and error can occur at any time. For a better understanding, the below article covers the resolutions related to QuickBooks Error: “Could not connect to the Email Server”.
- 1 About QuickBooks Error “Could not connect to the Email server”?
- 2 Methods to Rectify QuickBooks Error “Could not connect to the Email server”
About QuickBooks Error “Could not connect to the Email server”?
This error comes on the screen when the user is using the webmail in QuickBooks. The user gets the below message after entering the user name and password.
Could not connect to the Email server
We are unable to connect to the email server for your email provider.
This can happen for the following reasons:
✅ You might enter incorrect email and password
✅ Email server settings are incorrect
✅ You are not connected to the internet or a firewall is blocking the connection
Methods to Rectify QuickBooks Error “Could not connect to the Email server”
However, there could be many solutions but below are some recommended solutions given.
1️⃣ Update the QuickBooks to the Latest Release
✅ Open your QuickBooks update it to the latest release.
✅ While updating select the correct product, if it is not selected visit the option “Change link” and then select “QuickBooks Product” option.
✅ Next, select the update button which downloads the update file.
✅ Finally, select Setup automatic updates that set the QuickBooks automatically download and latest install updates.
2️⃣ Reset Internet Explorer Settings to its Default
✅ First of all, open the Internet Explorer and, then press Alt +T which open the tools menu, or you can also open the gear icon
✅ Select Internet options now
✅ Go to Advanced tab >>> Restore Advanced Settings
✅ Finally, select ok and close the browser
3️⃣ Check the Settings in the Webmail Preferences
✅ Open the QuickBooks software and select option “Preference” available under the Edit menu.
✅ Now, on the left side select “Send forms option“.
✅ Select the email account under the option “My preferences” which is being used >>> select Edit option.
✅ Go to “edit email info screen” >>> “SMTP Server Details“, then click on “settings the server name and port” which is available in email provider settings.
Even, after following the above steps user can get some errors, in that case, you can perform the action according to the error message.
|Email server settings are not correct||Try the steps mentioned in method 3|
|Entered the incorrect email address and password||In this scenario, the user required to login the email through the web browser and check if the email and password is working fine|
|You are not connected to the internet or a firewall is blocking the connection||Try to open the Internet Explorer and after that try to access the website|
Hopefully above steps to resolve QuickBooks Error – Could not connect to the email server helped you. For any guidance, feel free to connect with the QuickBooks ProAdvisor. The team is available 24*7 to assists you in all the scenarios related to QuickBooks. All the team members are certified, experienced, and have deep knowledge to resolve the issues quickly. You can also email at [email protected] and one of the QuickBooks dedicated experts contact you with the reply.
Quickbooks Could not connect to the Email Server
When using webmail in QuickBooks Desktop you may encounter an error that could not connect to the Email Server.
This error shows you as:
Couldn’t Connect To Email Server. We were unable to connect to the email server for your email provider.
In this post, we’ll discuss the causes and solution steps to fix this problem.
Note: You may also face QuickBooks is unable to send your email to outlook.
Causes for Could not connect to the Email Server in QuickBooks
- Misconfiguration with the email server settings
- Enter the incorrect username or password
- Incorrect Internet Explorer settings and much more
5 Simple Steps to Fix Could not connect to the Email Server in QuickBooks
Step 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release
You need to ensure that QuickBooks is updated with all the latest features.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to Help > Update QuickBooks Desktop…
- Click on Update Now(To the top)
- Check on Reset Update and click Get Updates
- It may take some time to update the QuickBooks Desktop
- Once Update is complete click on Close
Step 2: Check the Web Mail Preferences
- Open QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to Edit > Preferences
- Choose Send Forms
- Under My Preferences, choose you email address and click Edit
- Now open SMTP server section, enter the server name and port to your email
Step 3: Reset Internet Explorer Settings
You need to restore the internet explorer settings to the default.
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run command
- Type inetcpl.cpl and click OK
- Choose the Advanced tab and click Restore advanced settings
- Click Apply and OK
Step 4: Antivirus blocking the QuickBooks access
There are some chances that your antivirus is blocking the QuickBooks access.
If you’re not sure about the process, it’s good to contact us or an IT professional to do this job for you.
Step 5: Ensure about email credentials
There are chances that your email credentials(Username and Password) are incorrect.
If that doesn’t work out, you may need to contact your email provider to reset the credentials.
After following all the above steps you’ll no longer face “Could not connect to the Email Server” issue in QuickBooks but in case it still exists you can speak with our experts for a quick resolution. Call our TollFree or Leave us your message.
How to Fix QuickBooks Could Not Connect To Email Server
‘QuickBooks could not connect to email server”!!! Are you facing this error message while using webmail on QuickBooks Desktop? If your answer is ‘Yes’ then, it will be great because, this is the blog, where you can get the solution to this error. you can choose any one of the solutions to fix the error.
Now let’s talk about how we can solve this error and why this error comes while using your QuickBooks desktop. And to know it better, you should read the blog till the last and follow all the steps given.
Could Not Connect to Email Server’.
In the below section we have show you that, why the error occurs, and how to fix it in different ways.
Why the Error Comes Out
- The error comes due to improper internet connection, that time the problem of “Couldn’t connect to email server QuickBooks” comes.
- When the settings of the email server have not been configured properly.
- If you have used an incorrect ID or password during logging into the email.
- If your QuickBooks software is outdated, you need to new.
- with the email server, you need to incorrect settings of Internet Explorer that may also hamper the QuickBook’s connection.
- To log in to your systems windows, then if you do not have admin credentials, then you come across the “QuickBooks unable to connect to email server”.
- In your QuickBooks desktop, if the outlook application has been damaged, then you can found this error.
- When the documents related to QuickBooks had damaged, that case you found it.
Solutions to Fix Error “QuickBooks Could Not Connect to Email Server”
Here below, we will give you information about the steps, with the help of which you can correct your error, so you understand all the steps given, and then follow it to fix your error:-
Solution 1:- Update to Latest Release
More problems and issues with QuickBooks go away when we have to update the latest release of QuickBooks. Many times it happens that the problem is solved only by updating. So, it is important to update the latest release QuickBooks. Here, below we will provide the details:-
- Open the QuickBooks, and then go to ‘Update to the recent or latest Release page.
- Then, check and ensure that your product is selected.
- If your product is not selected, then click on the option of ‘Change Link’ and after that choose your QuickBooks Product.
- Click the Update button to download the Update file which you want or select.
- At the last. You can click on the option of Setup Automatic Updates to know how to set QuickBooks automatically download & Install the latest Updates, and then finish the process.
Solution 2:- See the Settings in WebMail Preferences
- In this step, first, you can click on the option of QuickBooks Edit menu and then select the Preferences option.
- From the Left Pane, you can click on the option of ‘Send Forms’.
- Go to the ‘My Preferences’ page, then select the email account that you are utilizing, and after that click on the option of Edit.
- Go into the Edit Email Information Screen, you can select the Navigate to the SMTP server details section and then fix the server name.
- At the last, you can Port the Email Provider settings.
Solution 3:- Reset Internet Explorer Settings to Default Option
- Go, and click the option of open Internet Explorer (IE).
- Then, you need to click on the ‘Tools’ menu (Alt+ T) or the Gear Icon option.
- After that, click on the option of Internet Options
- You can go to the Advanced Settings Tab and then click on the option of ‘Restore Advanced Settings’.
- Click on the option of OK, and then shut down the browser.
If you find that the issue came about due to some anti-virus intrusion, it is recommended to consult an IT person or ask an anti-virus provider to help you. They can help you install QuickBooks properly when setting up your WebMail.
If you have demonstrated all three of the above-listed solutions, but are still experiencing the same problem, you can try the solutions below for related messages.
|You are not connected to the Internet or your firewall is blocking the connection.||Tried to open the Internet Explorer and access a web site.|
|Your email server settings are wrong|
Make sure you have the appropriate webmail preferences that we showed in Solution 2.
|You entered a wrong email address or password||Go to your email service provider’s website and log in to your account using the appropriate login credentials to check whether the email address or password is working. If not, you will have to recover your password.|
If you have received the error message, ‘QuickBooks could not connect to email server’ although you have not used webmail then it may be a system issue. You can create a new Windows Admin user to overcome this problem.
We hope, now you are able to fix the error ‘QuickBooks could not connect to email server’ easily. These above three steps are very simple, just follow them carefully. Further, if in case, you need any help then, you can get our ProAdvisor support through the toll-free number at any time and anywhere.
How to fix “QuickBooks couldn’t connect to email server” issue?
QuickBooks is a crucial part of maintaining accounts and financial transaction records for your companies. And several times one needs to send across QuickBooks details via email for several specific functions. While using Webmail in QuickBooks Desktop, you might face “QuickBooks couldn’t connect to email server” error message once you have entered your Email password.
QuickBooks Couldn’t Connect to Email Server: We are unable to connect to the Email server for your Email provider.
QuickBooks could not send your form for the below reason: QuickBooks was connected to the remote server, however, could not understand the server’s response.
‘QuickBooks Unable to connect to Email Server’ issue happens mostly in Yahoo email address.
There are several methods to resolve this problem. It is possible that the first solution itself solves your problem, or you may have to try out all to solve the problem. It is recommended to try out the solutions in the order provided in this blog.
Reasons behind “QuickBooks couldn’t connect to email server”
- Due to improper internet connection, you may face “Couldn’t connect to email server QuickBooks”.
- When the settings of email server has not been configured properly.
- If you have used incorrect ID or password during logging in to email.
- If QuickBooks software is outdated.
- Incorrect settings of Internet Explorer may also hamper QuickBooks connection with the email server.
- If you do not have admin credentials to log in to windows, then you come across “QuickBooks unable to connect to email server”.
- If the outlook application has been damaged.
- When the documents related to QuickBooks had damaged.
Solutions to Fix “QuickBooks couldn’t connect to the Email server” Issue
Solution 1- Update to Latest Release
Several QuickBooks problems vanish once you update to the latest release. It is very much possible that this problem also gets resolved. Update to the latest version to address the issue.
- First Go to ‘Update to the recent/ latest Release page
- Ensure your product is selected. If it isn’t then Click ‘Change Link’ and choose your QuickBooks Product.
- Now click the Update button to download the Update file
- Now Click Setup Automatic Updates to know how to set QuickBooks automatically download & Install the latest Updates.
You May Also Read – How to utilize QuickBooks Clean Install Tool?
Solution 2- See the settings in WebMail preferences
- In the QuickBooks Edit menu, click Preferences
- The Left Pane, select ‘Send Forms’
- In ‘My Preferences,’ choose the email account you are utilizing and press Edit.
- Now in the Edit Email Information Screen – Navigate to SMTP server details section and fix the server name. Now Port the Email Provider settings.
Solution 3- Reset IE Settings to Default Option
- First, Open Internet Explorer (IE) and Click ‘Tools’ menu (Alt+ T) or the Gear Icon
- Now Click Internet Options
- You can go to the Advanced Settings Tab and click on ‘Restore Advanced Settings’ option
- Press OK, and shut down the browser.
If you get to know that the issue came because of some Anti-virus intrusion, then it is recommended to consult an IT person or ask the Anti-virus provider to help you out. They can help you in getting QuickBooks established properly when setting your WebMail.
If you have performed all the three above listed solutions but still are facing the same issue, then you can try out the below solutions given for the corresponding messages.
Note: if you got the error message ‘QuickBooks Couldn’t Connect to Email Server’ although you did not use the WebMail then this might be a system issue. You can create a new ‘Windows Admin User’ to correct this issue.
That is all for this blog. We have explained all the possible causes of “QuickBooks couldn’t connect to email server” along with its solutions in the above blog. Hopefully, you will be successful in dealing with the error on your own. If not so, you are free to get technical help from one of our experts at QuickBooks 24/7 Support by dialing +1-888-300-3913.
Error: Quicbooks Could Not Connect To The Email Server: [Resolved]
QuickBooks allows you to send and receive mails directly from the software but you may face some technical issues such as:
- Couldn’t Connect to Email Server
- We were unable to connect to the email server for your email provider
- QuickBooks was unable to send your form for the following reason:
- QuickBooks was able to connect to the remote server but could not understand the server’s response.
- Please try again to see if the problem has been corrected on the server.
If the problem persists, contact QuickBooks Technical Support.
This error mostly faced on Yahoo email address.
How To Resolve The Email Issue
There are multiple methods that can resolve this issue. However, the first solution resolves the issue mostly and if it does then you don’t have to move on to the next solution. Follow the below mentioned steps to resolve the issue:
Solution 1: Update To The Latest Release
This particular issue occurs in the QuickBooks 2016 or older versions and it has been resolved in the QuickBooks 2017 version.
- Open the Update to the Latest Release
- Your product version should be selected. If not then tap on the Change option and then choose your QuickBooks product.
- Click on Update for downloading the update file.
- Click on Setup Automatic Updates to get the process to set QuickBooks to automatically download and install the latest updates.
Solution 2: Check The Settings In The WebMail Preferences
- Open QuickBooks and go to Edit > Preferences > Send Forms
- From My Preferences window, click on the email account you are using and then select Edit.
- Open the Edit Email Info window and navigate to the SMTP Server Details section and provide a name of the server and port to your email provider settings.
Solution 3: Reset Internet Explorer Settings To Default
- Open the Internet Explorer
- Go to Tools > Internet Options
- From the Advanced tab, select Restore Advanced Settings.
- Select OK and close the IE browser.
If you are facing the issue due to a third-party security software installed in your system then we recommend you to disable the anti-virus and then try to send mail using QuickBooks Desktop. But you will have to do it every time you are sending a mail so it’ll be better to contact your IT professional to fix this issue for you.
If you are still facing the same issue even after performing the provided steps then here are some additional solutions that you can try:
|You are not connected to the internet or your firewall is blocking the connection.||Run the Internet Explorer try to access a secured web site.|
|Your email server settings are incorrect.||Make sure that you’ve appropriate web mail preferences that we showed in the solution 2.|
|You entered an incorrect email address or password.||Go to the website of your email service provider and log in to your account using appropriate login credentials to check if the email address or password is working or not. If not then you will have to recover your password.|
If you are getting these email issues even if you don’t use any email services then it can be an issue related to your system. You can create a new Windows user with administrator rights and then open the QuickBooks.
Technical Support For QuickBooks Issues
The provided solutions will allow you to resolve the Error: Could Not Connect To The Email Server easily and then you will be able to send email directly from QuickBooks desktop. But if you are still facing the same issue then we recommend you to get in touch with us at our toll-free QuickBooks Technical Support Phone Number +1-888-300-3913 to get instant QuickBooks support.