When switching QuickBooks to multi-user mode, users often report receiving error code H202 in QuickBooks. This error usually means that multi-user connection to your server computer, used for storing QuickBooks company files (QBW), is blocked. Inability to communicate with the server computer will prevent you from accessing the QuickBoooks company file.
What is QuickBooks Error H202?
On a multi-user network, QuickBooks company files (QBW) are stored on a server computer. All other computers connected to the network (that don’t host the QBW files) are called workstations. When a workstation fails to access a company file placed on another computer, it results in H202 QuickBooks error. The error message reads as follows:
Error code: H202
This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.
Here’s how to fix this problem:
On the computer where the company file is located, open the start menu, then open QuickBooks Database Server Manager. The Database Server Manager will scan your files and restore the connection.
Figure 1 – QuickBooks Error Code H202
What Causes QuickBooks Error H202?
QuickBooks error code H202 occurs when QuickBooks Desktop is trying to establish a connection to the company file, but can’t communicate with the server due to one of the following reasons:
- Incorrect hosting configuration settings.
- The server computer firewall is blocking incoming and outgoing communication.
- Conflict with DNS server.
- QuickBooks is unable to get the IP address of the host system or server hosting the company file.
- Some internal QuickBooks services like QuickBooksDBXX or QBCFMonitor aren’t running on the server computer.
- The network data file (.ND) is corrupt or damaged.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error H202?
NOTE: Before performing the solutions explained in this section, make sure to back up your QBW file. Doing so will ensure that you can go back and restore the original data.
Intuit recommends using the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to fix the error. But if you’ve already done that, and still getting H202 error, try the following solutions:
NOTE: For optimum results, implement the solutions in the following order.
Solution 1 – Test Network Connectivity
Ping your server from the workstation getting error H202 to check network connection.
NOTE: If you don’t know your server name, you will need to turn on “Network Discovery” on your server computer and any workstation receiving the error.
Follow these steps to ping your server:
- Type run into Windows search bar to open Run window.
Figure 2 – Windows Search Bar
- In the Run window, type cmd into the search box, and click Enter.
Figure 3 – Run Window
- Enter ping [servername] to ping the server name from your workstation, and press the Enter key.
NOTE: Make sure to keep space between ping and your server name. Also, don’t include brackets around the server name when executing this step.
Figure 4 – Ping your Server
If you detect packet loss or get a slow reply, it means the network needs to be repaired. In that case, proceed to Solution 2.
Solution 2 – Use the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool to resolve network issues that might be blocking multi-user connection to the server.
If the QuickBooks error H202 still persists, try the next solution.
Solution 3 – Configure your Firewall Settings for QuickBooks Desktop
Make sure that the server computer firewall settings isn’t blocking QuickBooks. Read the post ‘Configure Firewall and Internet security settings for QuickBooks Desktop’ for detailed instructions on adding QuickBooks ports exception on the firewall.
Once you’ve set the firewall permissions, try opening QuickBooks on your workstation in multi-user mode. If the problem persists, check out the next solution.
Solution 4 – Make Sure the QuickBooks Services are Running
Ensure that the QuickBooks services are running on the server computer. Follow the below listed steps to check if the QuickbooksDBXX services are running, and then repeat them for QBCFMonitorService.
- Type Run into the Windows search bar.
- In Run window, type services.msc, and then hit Enter.
- In Services window, browse and double-click QuickBooksDBXX on the list.
NOTE: XX notes is your version of QuickBooks.
- The QuickBooksDBXX Properties window is displayed. Select Automatic as the Startup Type.
- The Service status must be set to either Running or Started. Or else, select Start.
Figure 5 – QuickBooks Services Window
- Next, choose the Recovery tab.
- Choose Restart the Service from all three drop-down menus: First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures.
Figure 6 – Select Recovery Tab
- Click Apply, and then click OK to save the changes.
Repeat the steps for QBCFMonitorService. Once you’ve completed the steps, open QuickBooks on each workstation. Click the File menu and choose Switch to Multi-user Mode option. If you can correctly open everything, the problem is fixed.
Solution 5 – Add your Server to Windows Hosts File
To add your computer server to the Windows hosts file, you will need to edit the file. To do so, follow these steps:
- Browse any of the following paths to open the Windows hosts file (on the computer getting the error):
Figure 7 – Windows Hosts File
- Double-click the hosts file.
- When prompted with ‘How do you want to open this file’, choose Notepad.
Figure 8 – Select Program to Open Hosts File
- In the hosts file, after the last IP address, enter Server’s IP address followed by server name.
NOTE: Use TAB key instead of space bar for separating IP address and server name.
Figure 9 – Add Server Details to your Hosts File
- From the File menu, choose Save.
- Click Exit.
After executing the above steps, try opening the company file in multi-user mode. If this doesn’t work, proceed to the next solution.
Solution 6 – Create a New Folder for Your QBW File
The next method is to create a new folder for your QBW file:
- On the server computer, create a new folder.
- Share the folder and set up folder and Windows access permissions to share company files.
- Copy the QuickBooks Database (QBW) file to the new folder.
- Open your company file in multi-user mode again.
Solution 7 – Set Hosting to Local Files
Following these steps will ensure that no other client system is trying to host the same company file:
- Launch QuickBooks and press F2 to open the Product Information screen.
- In the lower left corner, select Hosting to reflect ‘local files only’ under Local Server Information.
Figure 10 – QuickBooks Product Information Screen
Solution 8 – Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Many QuickBooks users have said that restarting Database Server Manager helped them resolve the H202 error in QuickBooks. Here’s how:
- Open the Run window, type services.msc, and then click OK.
- Right-click QuickBooksDB19 (2009), QuickBooksDB18 (2008) or QuickBooksDB17 (2007) and select Stop.
- Right-click and select Start. Then close the window.
- Display extensions for known file types.
- Right-click the Windows Start button and select Explore > Tools > Folder Options.
- Click the View tab and clear Hide extensions for the ‘known file types’ box.
- Again click the View tab, select Show hidden files and folders, and then clear the ‘Hide protected operating system files’ box.
- In Warning window, click Yes, and then hit OK.
- Close Windows Explorer.
Solution 9 – Delete and Recreate the .ND file
Try deleting and recreating the corrupt .ND file to fix the issue:
- In Windows search box, type *.ND, and then hit Enter.
- In the Results window, right-click on the .ND file and click Delete.
- Confirm deletion when prompted.
- Next, click the Windows Start button.
- Select All Programs > QuickBooks > QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Click the Scan Folder tab.
- Click Add Folder, and browse the company file folder.
- Select the company file, and click the OK button. The path to the company file is in the Folder with QuickBooks company files field.
- Click Scan to start the scanning process.
- Once the scan is complete, click Close.
What Else Can You Do?
If the problem persists despite following all of the above solutions, you can contact the QuickBooks customer support team for help.
Remember performing the above solutions incorrectly can lead to data loss. Therefore, it is recommended that you must back up your company file. But if you suspect that your company file is severely damaged or corrupt, using Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software can help. The software can also help you remove all the errors from the QBW file and your QuickBooks application.
Why Use Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software?
- The advanced QuickBooks File Repair Software can repair severely damaged and corrupt QuickBooks (QBW) file, without making changes in the original file.
- Can help eliminate recurring errors, application freezes, and data loss risk.
- Recovers all data of the company, its customers, vendors, and employees.
- Interactive user interface easily scans QBW file and displays preview of recoverable data.
- Can recover data from QuickBooks backup file (QBB)
- Supports QuickBooks 2021 and all the lower versions.
QuickBooks error code H202 can be a tough one to resolve. However, with the right solutions by your side, you can overcome it and all other such problems to keep working on your QuickBooks financial transactions, uninterrupted. This post covers all the solutions that can help you get rid of the QuickBooks error H202. But, make sure to back up your QuickBooks company files and keep Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® software handy for repairing the QBW file and recovering its data.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error H202 – Multi User Switching Error
QuickBooks is widely recognized as one of the finest accounting software, and is known for its amazing capabilities of handling transactions, bookkeeping, payroll management, maintaining records, and various other accounting activities. Though QuickBooks accounting software has transformed the way businesses carry out there accounting activities, it can’t be disregarded that it is also prone to multiple errors. One such error is QuickBooks Error Code H202 that usually occurs when trying to switch into multi-user mode. In this blog post, we are going to discuss about one of the most reported error code that is faced by many QB users.
What is QuickBooks Error H202 and why it occurs?
QuickBooks error H202 may appear on your desktop screen when you try to open your company file in a multi-user mode. This error will prevent QuickBooks to perform the given task.
In order to know what causes the error H202, and how to resolve it, make sure to read and understand the complete procedure given below. We ensure that these troubleshooting steps will resolve your Error Code H202 instantly & will provide the best results. However, if you want a group of experts or certified professionals to fix the issue for you, then in that case, you can ring up at our toll-free number i.e. 1-844-405-0907, and our QuickBooks enterprise support team will be there to assist you in fixing the issue for you.
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks unrecoverable error?
The images as shown below is similar to which appears on your desktop.
Possible Causes of QuickBooks Error H202
Discussing some responsible issues that cause QuickBooks H202 errors as explained below:-
- The main cause behind this error can be if the hosting configuration setting is incorrect.
- Or in case the QB file setting option blocks to access the company file. Thus it blocks incoming or outgoing communication.
- The error can also be seen if there is any damage or having an incorrect .ND files configuration that allows unable to access that allow the database file through QuickBooks.
- If the QuickBooks software is unable to search the main IP address of host the system or by using some other IP address.
- A company data file is not communicating easily to the server.
- If the setting of DNS is improper or incomplete.
- The QuickBooks service like QuickBooksDBXX/QBCF is not started.
- Firewall or a security software is blocking the communication to the company file, in such a situation also error H202 is most probable to occur.
- When a user will try to work with a company file & it is located with a multi –user mode & this replicates the QuickBooks that is unable to reach the server on your system.
Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code H202
To Resolve the error code H202 try to follow one of these given solutions:
Method 1: Download and Run QuickBooks File Doctor tool
In order to Download the QuickBooks File Doctor tool Click Here: http://dlm2.download.intuit.com/akdlm/SBD/QuickBooks/QBPDF/qbfd.exe.
Important Note: If you currently have a version of File Doctor on your computer system (you will certainly see an File Doctor Icon on your desktop screen), you will need to proceed with downloading and installing File Doctor from this article to ensure you have the latest release. It is advised to uninstall any type of previous variations of File Doctor prior to downloading and installing.
First of all, the user needs to download the QuickBooks file doctor on your server. This helps to clear your H202 error in a multi-user mode as automatically. If in case, a user face an issue the same, try to proceed the Next solution.
Read Also: What is QuickBooks error code 6130?
Method 2: Verifying the QuickBooks hosting
- The initial step is to open QuickBooks on the hosting system and then select “File” & click on “Utilities“.
- And then, see the list of “Host Multi-User” to Access it, this computer is not hosting the file. Move to the next system. Note one thing don’t change anything on your workstation.
- If you see “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access“, select it.
- Ensure that company file must be closed, click to “Yes” option.
Method 3: Verify the QuickBooks Services
- The very first step is to ensure that “QuickBooksDBXX & QBCFMonitor” services and start this.
- Click on Windows “Start” button.
- And then press the keys as “Windows + R” keys to run the program.
- In that running dialog box, type as “MSC” and hit “Enter” key.
- Service Window: – Scroll down and the presence of QuickBooks DBXX service.
- QuickBooksDBXX service is not seen or unable to look forward as.
- With the help of using Database Server Manager now confirm it and get to installed on a server.
- Now “Run” your full program on a server, first open the QuickBooks now select and then verified that the hosting is enabled or not.
- Give a double-click the “QuickBooksDBXX” service. Then get to confirm what is the Startup type & also the service status begins.
- Now select the “Recovery” option.
- Open your computer menu & restart it thus it will automatically restart your “QuickBooksDBXX” service if in case it fails. Do the same for Second failure.
- Now “Apply” to save all your changes.
- The above steps for “QBCFMonitor” Service, replay it.
- Then make a fresh start your QuickBooks software in the multi-user mode on your each workstation.
Method 4: Ping your server from a workstation
There might be a firewall issue if you see QuickBooks Error H202 on one or more of your workstations. To fix the issue Ping your server from each workstation where you are getting Error H202.
- On your server computer and workstations, Open the “Windows Start Menu“.
- After that type Network into the search and then open Network and sharing center.
- After that choose change advanced sharing settings.
- Ensure that you have selected Turn on network discovery.
Now get your server name from your server:
- First of all you need to open the Windows Start menu on your server computer.
- After that type “Run” into the search and then open Run box.
- After that type “CMD” into the Run window, and then hit on Enter key.
- Now type “ipconfig/all” into the command window, and then press Enter key.
- After that search the Host Name in the Windows IP Configuration section. You will find your server name is on the right.
- Now you have to note down the hostname and copy it to a word file so that you can access it quickly.
Related Post: How to troubleshoot QuickBooks error H505?
Method 5: Download and Install QuickBooks Tools Hub and run QuickBooks database server manager
- To begin with, the user is required to download the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- And then, move to the browser download list by pressing Ctrl + J keys.
- The next step is to click on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to carry out the on-screen prompts to install it.
- After that, the user is required to open the tool from the desktop icon, once the installation is complete.
- After the QuickBooks hub, the user is required to run QuickBooks database server manager.
- Double click the QuickBooks tools hub icon
- And then, select the network issues tab, followed by clicking on the QuickBooks database server manager.
- In case QuickBooks database server manager shows the correct company file location, the user is supposed to click on start scan option, else click on the browse to select company file folder and then hit start scan option.
- After that, the QuickBooks database server manager will repair the firewall and provide all the efficient permissions required to access in all systems.
- The next step in the process is to click on close after the repair is successful.
- After that, the user will have to open the QuickBooks desktop on the system on which the error code H202 was encountered.
- Followed by clicking on the file> switch to multi-user mode.
Important: If your workstations can go into multi-user mode without any issues, everything is fixed.
We hope this blog helped to resolve your QuickBooks Error Code H202. If still the same error persist then connect with our QuickBooks support phone number . Our enterprise support team will be pleased to help you out in your accounting problems.
Simple Steps To Deal With QuickBooks Error H202
QuickBooks is a popular accounting application devised by Intuit for small and mid-sized businesses. However, technical issues are an integral part of the application. QuickBooks error H202 is an annoying error in the list that can take place while using the company file in a multi-user environment. The error typically occurs when the QuickBooks Database Server Manager isn’t running on your system due to which QuickBooks fails to communicate with the company file. In this post, we will discuss the primary reasons behind error H202 in QuickBooks and fix them using simple steps.
What Are The Primary Causes Behind The QuickBooks Error Code H202?
QB error code H202 can take place due to several reasons as stated in the below-given list:
- Restrictive Firewall or Internet security settings, preventing QuickBooks from accessing the server.
- Due to lack of firewall port configuration QuickBooks can’t communicate with the company file.
- Inappropriate hosting configuration settings in QuickBooks can also trigger QB error H202.
- When QuickBooks Database Server Manager conflicts with the DNS server
- Damaged or corrupt network data (.ND) file.
What Are The Common Symptoms Of Intuit Error Code H202?
When QuickBooks intuit error H202 occurs, you may experience the below-given symptoms:
- QuickBooks error message H202 appears on the screen and crashes an active Window.
- You might face trouble switching to multi-user mode.
- Trouble in opening the company file located on the other computer.
- Sluggish performance of your computer.
- QuickBooks freezes periodically for a few seconds.
How To Fix QuickBooks Error H202 When Opening QuickBooks Company File?
QuickBooks error H202 can prevent you from accessing your company records and therefore, needs to get resolved immediately. To fix the QuickBooks error code H202, follow the below-given solutions:
Solution 1: Ping the Server to Verify the Workstation-Server Connectivity Status
Note: This technique will help you to recognize that the issue is raising from the master QuickBooks server end or the particular workstations.
- Open commands prompt by pressing the Windows and R on your keyboard altogether, Enter “Ipconfig” and Hit Enter right after the CMD window open.
- Note Down the IP address of your QuickBooks server.
- Next, open the workstation where you have encountered the QuickBooks Error Code H202, Open the Command Prompt as an admin by pressing Windows + R Key.
- Now Type Ping [XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX] and then Hit Enter.
- If you Receive the response time fast and No data loss in the entire process, it means that there are no connectivity issues.
Points to remember: By the end of the solution, you can make a decision that whether the error is appearing due to a connectivity issue or if the issue is related to the network configuration so you can either contact our IT person or Jump to Solutions 3 and understand how you can troubleshoot QuickBooks Error H202 If it is the issue raised by network glitch.
Solution 2: configure your workstations and server hosts file
If you are not a geek then you should either let your IT person know about the issue or you can also contact the number flashing on the website to reach our QuickBooks experts for assistance because the following troubleshooting level would be sightly steeper for you.
- To acquire the name and IP address of the server you can follow the above-stated solution.
- Next, Start the Workstation where the error QuickBooks H202 has been encountered. Move to the Windows 64 variants C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc, folder or Windows 32 variants C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc folder and there look-up for the hosts files. You can either constantly press the H key on your keyboard till you find the hosts file or Search for the hosts file using the search bar at the top.
Open the hosts file and at the bottom of the content in the file add the server name and ip address as shown in the square brackets “[Server Ip-address Server name]” and once you have done, Follow the same steps for the sever computer.
Now at last try to perform the exact same operation that was triggering the error earlier to verify QuickBooks Error H202 is resolved or not and if it continues, then you contact us and let qualified experts resolve the issue for you.
Solution 3: Use network diagnostic tool From Tool Hub
The QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool can help you in resolving network-related issues in the QuickBooks while working in multi-user mode.
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official website
Note: QuickBooks tool hub comes preinstalled with the latest release of QuickBooks desktop that case you won’t require to download the Tool Hub.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and there select the network issue tab.
- Now use the tool to diagnose the QuickBooks error code H202, and it will scan the connection status, Firewall status, and internet connectivity issues.
- Once you are done, try to access your company file. If the error code H202 in QuickBooks continues, try the next troubleshooting solution.
Solution 4: Re-Start the “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” Services
If none of the troubleshooting solutions can bring luck to the troubleshooting solution, start the QuickBooks Database Server Manager service. It will create .ND file, which is a configuration file used by QuickBooks to access the company file on the network. Installing the tool can help you in running multiple versions of the QuickBooks processes. Besides, it will also scan your file in multi-user mode. After that, check the status for QuickBooks error code H202.
Additional Tips: You may also try to Rename the company file corresponding to ND and TLG file QuickBooks. All you need to add is OLD at the last of the File. i.e : Test.qbw.nd.old & Test.qbw.tlg.old
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000 83
Need Further Assistance From QB Experts?
The steps described In this post can help you in troubleshooting the Error H202. However, if you feel like talking to an expert for the error resolution, give us a call on our ProAdvisor Solutions helpline number . On connecting, you can brief the symptoms of the QuickBooks error H202 to get the best assistance from our qualified QB experts.
Here’s a Quick Way to Resolve QuickBooks Error H202
QuickBooks has widely established itself with the clientele of small to mid-sized businesses and individuals who are looking for solutions to handle the accounting and financial needs of their company. The accounting software has gained popularity aided by its user-friendly features and timely tools that QuickBooks launches to meet the customer requirements. However, just like any other software in the market, certain errors can hamper and cause glitches into the smooth working of the software and one such error is QuickBooks Error H202. Error Code H202, H303, and H505 specifically appears when a user tries to switch the hosting mode in the application from single-user mode to multi-user mode. If you have also encountered error code H202 in QuickBooks, then this indicates that application malfunction or failure of certain supporting components are preventing QuickBooks from entering in to multi-user mode to host the company file in the network.
What is QuickBooks Desktop Error H202?
QuickBooks Desktop Error H202 is linked to the QuickBooks multi-user mode errors and appears when the user tries to open the QB company file which is located on another computer in the network. The QuickBooks Error Message H202 pops up on the screen displaying an error message that states“You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server (H202)” The error generally implies that the multi-user connection to the server is blocked and hence QuickBooks can’t connect to the company file for any further operations.
Reasons for QuickBooks Error Code H202
As we progress in the blog to the solutions of the QuickBooks Error Code H202, we are listing down some of the possible causes of the QuickBooks Error H202. The error appears when Quickbooks Desktop tries to set up an connection with the company file however can’t connect to the server because of one of the accompanying reasons:
- Incorrect hosting settings either on the server or on the workstation.
- Windows firewall or third-party firewall application obstructing QuickBooks from accessing the company file.
- Faulty DNS settings like incorrect DNS server address or non existent DNS server.
- General network configuration errors preventing QuickBooks to connect with the other computers in the network.
- Crucial QuickBooks processes like QBCFMonitor not running.
- In case QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not running on your Windows PC.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager is damaged or corrupt.
Answer to How do I Fix H202 Error in QuickBooks?
Solution 1: Ping your Server from each Workstation
This is a general troubleshooting step that you need to follow every time there is a connection related issue appear in the network. Pinging the server computer from the workstation ensures that there are no connection errors in the network that is preventing QuickBooks installed on the workstation to access the company file stored on the server computer.
- As the first step to this solution is to turn on the Network Discovery on your server computer and any workstations that are facing QuickBooks Desktop Error H202, follow the following steps for the same:
- Open the Windows Start menu on your server and on the error facing workstations.
- Type “Network” into the search and then open Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Change Advanced Sharing settings.
- Turn on Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing options.
- Now, you need to get the server name from your server.
- From the start menu on your server computer, type “Run” in the search bar
- Type “CMD” into the run window and hit enter.
- Type “ipconfig/all” into the CMD window and press Enter.
- Find the text Host Name on the screen and to its right is where the server name is written.
- Note down this Host Name.
- Move to the workstation to test the server. The further steps can be overwhelming and getting the at 1.800.579.0391 can help in quick solution to the issue.
- Open Run from the Windows Start menu.
- Type “CMD” into the Run window.
- Then, type “ping_[your server name],” and hit Enter. Type in the server name without the brackets.
- Repeat the above steps on every workstation that is having the QuickBooks Error H202.
Solution 2: Delete and Recreate the .ND File
.ND files in QuickBooks are meant to store the network configuration of the application that helps QuickBooks to connect with other computers in the workstation and when this file gets damaged or corrupt QuickBooks starts facing connection issues. Once you delete the file and restart QuickBooks, it will automatically creates a fresh copy of the .ND file without any errors.
- Search on the windows search bar for *.nd and press Enter
- From the results, delete the .nd file.
- Now navigate to All Programs > QuickBooks > QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Click on “Scan Folder” tab and then hit the “Add Folder” button.
- Browse the company file and click on OK button.
- Start the scanning processes by clicking on Scan.
- Once the scan is complete click on Close.
Solution 3: Host the Company File on the Local Storage
hosting the company file locally on the device can help resolve several other issues including company file connection error H202.
- Open QuickBooks application and open the Product Information screen by using the F2 key.
- In the lower left corner, just below the Local Server Information, click Hosting to reflect “local files only.”
- Make sure that no other computer in the network tries to access the same company file.
Solution 4: Add your Server to the Windows Host File
Windows host file stores information about every other device that connects with the server. Adding the server information to the host file allows Windows to recognise the device allowing QuickBooks to access the company file saved on the server.
- Access the windows hosts file using Notepad on the computer which is facing the error.
- The host file is located at (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\).
- Open Notepad as Admin, if needed.
- After the last IP address type the server’s IP address (For instructions on looking up your server’s IP address follow article How to Find your Local and External IP Address)
- Hit the Tab key and type in the server name and from File menu click on Save.
- Press Exit.
- Open the company file to see if it has become accessible and QuickBooks Error H202 is resolved.
Solution 5: Restart QB Database Manager
Install and restart QuickBooks database server manager as it is one of the most crucial component to run QuickBooks in multi-user mode and for any reasons if it is not running on the server computer it is obvious to get errors while hosting the company file in multi-user environment. Restarting QuickBooks database server manager is a standard troubleshooting procedure to resolve general company file connection issues like error H202.
- Press the Windows key and Search Run in the search dialogue box.
- Type services.msc and click on OK to open it.
- Right-click QuickBooksDB19 (2009), QuickBooksDB18 (2008) or QuickBooksDB17 (2007) and hit Stop.
- By right-clicking select Start and after that close the window.
- Display extensions for the known file types.
- Right-click on the Windows Start button and select Explore> Tools> Folder Options.
- By clicking the View tab, clear Hide extensions for the known file types box.
- Again click the View tab and select Show hidden files and folders, clear the “Hide protected operating system files” box.
- Click on Yes that appears on the warning and hit OK.
- Close the Windows Explorer browser and try accessing the company file again
NOTE: Additionally you can also try to Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager to get rid of H-series of errors in QuickBooks.
Solution 6: Check the Services on your Server
Setting up certain services like QuickBooks company file monitoring service and QuickBooks database manager to restart after a failure can fix the issue if the services fails to start in first attempt for some reasons.
- Open the Windows Start Menu on your server computer.
- Type “Run” into the search and open Run.
- Type “services.msc” into the Run window, and then press Enter.
- Find and double-click QuickBooksDBXX on the list XX notes your version of QuickBooks.
- Select Automatic for the Startup Type.
- Make sure the Service status is either Running or Started. If it’s neither, select Start.
- Navigate to the Recovery tab.
- Select Restart the Service from each of these drop-down menus: First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures.
- Select Apply and then select OK to save the changes.
- Repeat these steps for QBCFMonitorService.
When you’re done, open QuickBooks on each workstation. Go to the File menu and select Switch to Multi-user Mode. If everything opens correctly, the problem is fixed.
NOTE: If you are getting some other errors while hosting the company file in multi-user mode, then follow our article on QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Errors for detailed troubleshooting instructions.
The blog aims to cover the basic issues of QuickBooks Cannot Switch to Multi User Mode H202 due to QuickBooks Error H202. However, it is very much possible the cause and consequently the solutions fail to solve it for you. The support team at is available to provide support for QuickBooks Desktop Error H202 with QuickBooks 2020 and previous versions. Talk to the customer executive to get the application running as smooth as it was before.
Related Search Terms: QuickBooks Desktop Error H202, H202 QuickBooks Fix, QuickBooks Error Code H202, QuickBooks Error Message H202, Error Code H202 QuickBooks 2018, QuickBooks Error H202 Fix, H202 Error QuickBooks 2020, QuickBooks Cannot Switch to Multi User Mode H202, How do I Fix H202 Error in QuickBooks, This Company File is on Another Computer and QuickBooks Needs Some Help Connecting, I am Getting Error Code H202 While Switching to Multi-User Mode in QuickBooks, QuickBooks Error H202
QuickBooks error h202, QuickBooks h202, h202 QuickBooks, QuickBooks error code h202, h202, h202 error QuickBooks, QuickBooks h202 error, error h202, h202 error in QuickBooks, error code h202, h202 QuickBooks, error, h202 error, quickbook error h202, QuickBooks h202 error code, error code h202 QuickBooks, qb error h202, error h202 QuickBooks, QuickBooks h202 error multi-user, QuickBooks h202 error fix, QuickBooks mlti user error, error h202 in QuickBooks, h202 error QuickBooks 2019, QuickBooks multi user mode error, QuickBooks 202, how to fix QuickBooks error h202, qb error code h202, QuickBooks error h202 switching to multi-user mode, qb h202 error, error h202 QuickBooks desktop, QuickBooks database server manager system requirements, QuickBooks h202 fix .
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error H202?
QuickBooks error H202 is an error that pops up when a user tries to use QuickBooks in multi-user mode. This error implies that the multi-user connection to the server is blocked.
QuickBooks error code H202 message states that the company file is on another computer and QB needs some help connecting. When this error occurs, a QB user fails to open a company file located on another computer.
Why does QuickBooks Error H202 occur?
Error H505 occurs when QuickBooks Desktop is unable to communicate with the server. The reasons that cause this error are listed here below –
- Hosting settings are misconfigured.
- Exchange of data between QuickBooks and server is being blocked by the firewall software.
- DNS settings are not properly configured.
- Host’s or server’s IP address is not available to QuickBooks Desktop.
- These QuickBooks services are not running – QBCFMonitor or QuickBooksDBXX.
- There is some problem with QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- .nd file is corrupted or damaged.
What are the symptoms of QuickBooks Error H202?
QuickBooks H202 error can produce the following symptoms –
- QB user is unable to switch to multiple-user mode.
- User is unable to open a company file located on another computer.
- QuickBooks error code H202 message appears on the screen.
- QuickBooks may slow down or freeze.
- A computer may become sluggish.
You May Also Read – What is QuickBooks?
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error H202
When working on the server to fix H505 error, you are required to sign in into your server as an administrator.
Solution 1 – Ping the server
- Open the Run window in a workstation getting the QuickBooks error H202.
- Put CMD in the text field and click on Ok.
- Now, from your workstation, you have to ping your server.
- For this, you have to type ping_[servername] and then hit the Enter key. Note, brackets used here around the name of the server should not be used while actually performing this step.
- Apply the steps given above for all workstations getting the error.
- If in case, you get a slow reply, or if a loss of a packet is detected, it implies that there is some problem with the network and a repair is required.
- Go to the next solution.
Solution 2 – Use QB File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is a powerful and reliable tool provided for download by the Intuit, the developer of QuickBooks accounting software. QB File Doctor can diagnose and troubleshoot different kinds of QB errors including QuickBooks error code H202. To use this tool, you have to first download it from the website of Intuit, and then, run it.
Solution 3 – Install and run QB Database Server Manager
- First of all, on your server, go to the Windows Start menu and click on it.
- In the search field, type the word database.
- From the list of results, click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Look for the folder storing company files. You can also find this folder by using Browse.
- Choose this folder.
- Look for the Start Scan button and click on it.
- QBDBSM repairs Firewall permissions automatically.
- Let the scan finish its work and after that click the Close button.
- On each of the workstation where the error appears, you have to open QB.
- In the QB, navigate to the File menu and click on it.
- Look for Switch to multi-user mode and click it.
- If you are able to use multi-user mode, you have successfully troubleshooted QuickBooks H202 error.
- If the error is appearing, try the next solution.
Solution 4 – Verify QuickBooks services
If in case, the server is running a full version of QB, follow steps given below start multi-user hosting mode –
- On the server, you have to open QuickBooks.
- Go to File and after that Utilities.
- Find Host multi-user access and choose it.
In order to verify the running status of QuickbooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService on the server, follow these steps –
- Go running window.
- Put services.msc in the text field and click on Ok.
- Choose QuickBooksDBXX from the list that appeared on clicking Ok.
- Look for the Startup type.
- Check if it is Automatic, if not do it.
- Now, look for Service status.
- Check if it is Running or Started.
- Make it running, if it is not.
- Navigate to the Recovery tab and click on it.
- Go to the drop-down menus for first, second and subsequent failures.
- For all these, select Restart the service option.
- Choose Apply.
- Click Ok.
- Now, follow all the above-mentioned steps for QBCFMonitorService.
Solution 5 – Add QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService to the admin group
On the server, these two QuickBooks services – QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService – should have Windows admin permissions. If in case, they are not having these permissions, you have to make sure they have it. Providing Windows admin permissions to QB services may resolve QuickBooks error H202.
Solution 6 – Configure settings of the firewall
A firewall might be blocking data exchange between QuickBooks and server. Follow the steps below to configure firewall settings on the server so that the communication between QB and server is not hindered –
- Create exceptions in the firewall.
- Make changes to permissions in firewall and after that open QuickBooks on all of the workstations.
- Choose Switch to multi-user mode under the File menu.
Solution 7 – Go to Windows host file and add server
- First of all, close QuickBooks.
- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc on the server.
- Click hosts file twice.
- When prompted for a program, choose Notepad.
- Now, you have to type IP address then the name of the computer. For the server, put the IP of workstation and name of the computer. For a workstation, put the IP of server and name of the computer name. to the separate name of computer and IP address, press Tab key on your keyboard instead of the space bar.
- Check for QuickBooks H202 error by opening QB in multi-user mode.
Solution 8 – Make a new folder for QuickBooks company file
- On the server, make a new folder.
- Change permissions so that this new folder and QuickBooks company files can be shared.
- Make use of Ctrl and C keys for copying .qbw file to the new folder.
- In the multi-user mode, open your QuickBooks company file.
- See, if QuickBooks error H202 is appearing on opening QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode.
By applying the above solutions, you should be able to fix QuickBooks error code H202. But, if you are unable to apply any of the above-given solutions, or if QuickBooks error H202 does not get resolved, call us now at our toll-free QuickBooks Error Tech Support to get instant troubleshooting.
How to Fix QuickBooks error H202?
QuickBooks Error H202 problem specifically occurs in QuickBooks desktop applications when multiple users tries to access the same company file over a network or windows server from different workstations using the multi-user mode functionality built within QuickBooks.
One of the most common reasons for the error H202 is when the network firewall is blocking the connection between the QuickBooks database server manager (An additional application required to allow QuickBooks to function in multi-user mode) that is installed on the windows server that hosts your company files.
This firewall block causes your QB software to identify this as a invalid file path while trying to switch to multi-user mode or open a accessible file and therefore prompts with the error code h202 in QuickBooks.
Firewall is one out of the dozen other reasons for such connection problems to occur in QB, for a more clear overview and in depth understanding of the root cause for error h202 follow along this article to learn more.
Here is an image of the message usually displayed on most user’s PC notifying that “QuickBooks needs help as it is unable to connect to the host computer to open your company file.”
Unfortunately, this is a common problem encountered by users using QB desktop pro, premier or enterprise software solutions in multi-user mode through a server
While their is nothing to worry about as in this article we have explained in depth on how to fix Error H202 switching to multi-user mode with several proven methods to help you connect back to your company file quickly without anymore operational delays in the future.
Furthermore, this tutorial is aiming to provide you with information on how to fix lost connection between your host computer and the workstations using QB Desktop versions Pro, Premier, or Enterprise 2020 to 2021.
How to start troubleshooting H202 error in QuickBooks?
To begin with, Please make sure that you have QuickBooks database server manager installed on the host computer that is hosting your data before you move further with the following methods.
Besides Error H202 this guide will also help you resolve other common multi-user setup errors such as H101, H505 in QB Desktop.
These steps may require some basic technical knowledge. So, we recommend that you pay attention during the troubleshooting session to avoid causing any damages to your accounting data. So, before you begin be sure to back up your files.
If you are not familiar on how QuickBooks is setup than check this article to learn about QB multi-user mode setup.
Now, let’s look at what this error means and how it triggers following with 12 proven steps to fix QuickBooks error h202 server 2012.
What is QuickBooks Error H202?
- When QB tries to communicate with the database it tries to locate the .ND file which is a small text file and has the same name as your company file, but appears with a .ND extension. The same folders also have the .QBW extension which contains the information required to connect to the server port and IP address.
- Now QB desktop can specify if the .QBW extension is in use.
- When QB is able to locate the .ND extension and confirms that .QBW is operable, it tries to communicate with the host computer.
- QB will open your data if the communication is successful.
- When you see the H202 code on your computer this means that the connection to the host computer was lost and thus could not communicate with the database.
9 Reasons to causes QuickBooks error h202 switching to multi-user mode
When you try to access your data, QB tries to initiate a connection with the host computer to open your company file, during this attempt QB fails to connect to the remote computer because of a missing or damaged component which results with the following errors such as H101, H202, H505, and other common H-series failed to connect errors.
Here is a list of the most common and default components that are required and can cause a connection issue with your database while using QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
- The server firewall is interrupting incoming and outgoing communication.
- Damage QuickBooks database .
- DNS server damage or confliction can cause this issue.
- QuickBooksDBxx service is not running on the host computer.
- QBCFMonitor is not running on this computer error.
- A corrupted database could be one of main reasons to this error.
- QB is unable to locate the IP address of the Host computer.
- The Standard hosting configuration is defective or faulty.
- Missing or damaged .ND files.
Also, read network connection problems occurred due to QBDBMgrN not running.
12 ways to fix QuickBooks error h202
Important: We recommend you perform a backup of your QBW data before initiating the troubleshooting steps mentioned below. By doing this you can be certain to restore the original data from backup if required.
Complete these steps one by one to identify the connection issue between the server and the computer in your network and successfully get h202 error in QuickBooks Fixed.
Step1: Start with configuring your firewall settings
Error code h202 in QuickBooks may occur when the firewall is blocking internet access for specific functions of the QB software to function properly.
Try updating your firewall to the latest version which might help in resolving the issue. Additionally, Check to confirm that your firewall is set to allow connection to the host computer,
You can use the QuickBooks file doctor to fix the firewall from blocking communication issues, In case this tool did not fix QuickBooks multi-user error code h202 then continue to read and find out how to configure your firewall manually.
Configure firewall manually
- Open start menu in Windows.
- Type “Windows Firewall” into the search bar to open Windows Firewall.
- Go to Advanced Settings
- On the left select Inbound Rules
- Select New Rule.
- Check Port and hit Next.
- Select TCP from the box.
- Choose the specific ports from the list below which is categorized to the software version and enter the correct port in the local port field.
- Choose Port:
- 2020 QuickBooks Firewall Ports: 8019, XXXXX.
- 2019 QB Firewall Port: 8019, XXXXX
- 2018 QB Firewall Port: 55378,56728.55382,8019
- 2017 QB Firewall Port: 55373,56727.55377,8019.
Note: The latest editions of QuickBooks use dynamic ports those are specified firewall ports assigned automatically while installing QB. So as you can see that the 8019, XXXXX are the default ports for QB 2019 and later versions.
Step2: I see error H202 when contacting the server
if the QuickBooksDBxx server service has stopped running due to which the QuickBooks enterprise error code h202 is prompting on your computer screen than in this step we will help you find the QuickBooksDBxx service files and restart the services to ensure that they are running properly on your server computer.
- Press Windows key and letter R simultaneously.
- Now type services.msc in the Run box and press Enter.
- Find the QuickBooksDBXX services in the list.
Note: XX refers to the version of QuickBooks running on your server.
- Double click on QuickBooksDBXX to open properties
- Set startup type to Automatic.
- Select Start ifservice status is not running or did not get started Automatically
Here is an infographic to help you further with this step.
- Next Click on the Recovery tab now
- Select Restart the Service in all the sections first failures, second failures and, Subsequent failures.
- Finally to save the changes Click Apply then OK.
Now that we have completed the above steps, let’s go ahead and open QB on the user’s workstations.
First of all turn multi-user mode back on in QB.If you can access your data without the H202 than great your problem has been resolved.
Step 3: Fix Error H202 multi-user in Windows Control Panel
- Make sure to Close QB in all the Workstations
- Open Programs and features from the Window Start Menu
- In the installed programs list find QB > right click on the program > select Change/repair
- On the next window Check all the options
- Wait until Windows has Completed Repairing QB .
- Next, open your software and check for the latest updates. Go to Help from the top menu > Choose Update QuickBooks desktop from the drop-down list > Update now > once the update is complete Restart computer.
If the issue was related to the program than this step has fixed the QuickBooks 2019 h202 error multi-user. After restarting your server you might not be experiencing any further communication issues with the workstations.
Step 4: Now add QuickBooks server to Windows host file
Before you continue with this step obtain admin user rights to get the IP address and computer name for your server and workstations both.
Note: Your server hosts the original .QBW extension and a workstation is a user computer from which you access the data stored on the server.
Now lets us apply the following steps on your server computer first and then on your workstations.
Here’s how to get your IP address and computer name.
- Open the Run windows by pressing Windows + R on the keyboard.
- Type “cmd” in the Run window and hit enter.
- Type “ipconfig space /all” and press enter.
- Now make note of the hostname and the IP address.
Here is an image to show how it should appear on your screen.
Now you have the server IP and the Computer names, Next, we will show you how to Edit and Save the Windows Host file. We will run these steps on both the workstations and server on which you are experiencing the Error.
- Go to the windows start menu and type the following:
- Select the Host file from the list.
- Right-click on the file and choose to open with Notepad.
- Now enter the IP address and the computer name you obtained earlier in the host area on this notepad. Follow the image below
Look at this image to get an idea on where to enter the IP address and the server name:
Reminder: Make sure you have updated the server name and IP address on both the workstations and on the server.
Assuming that you have performed all the above steps correctly now let’s go ahead and save the changes you just made to the host file.
- Press Ctrl + S and as you would generally attempt to save a notepad.
- Save as “hosts”, along with the quotation marks.
- Make sure to save it on the desktop.
- Return back to the file location
- Right-click and rename the file to Hosts Old.
- On your keyboard press Ctrl + S and close the notepad.
- Close the notepad.
Now go ahead and open your QB to see if performing the above steps has solved your problem with switching to multi-user mode, or we shall continue with the next step.
Note: Keep the server name handy as you would need it while performing the next step.
Step 5: Run a Network Connection Test
In the following step, we will send a query/ping using the command window to check the connection between the host machine and the workstations.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to file > utilities > select turn off hosting mode.
- Go to the Windows search bar and type run to open the run window.
- Type CMD and click OK.
Here is an image of the window that will open up on your screen:
- Type ping space “[server name]” excluding brackets from the sides of the server name.
- Continue to ping on each workstation experiencing connected to the network.
While trying to ping your server from workstations if you experience a slow response or packet loss than you might rather want to call a QuickBooks expert and get help with repairing your Network issues before you can troubleshoot any further.
Additionally here you can find out how to rename a file server to fix H202 Error?
Step 6: Move company data to a different location
- Open Quickbooks in single-user mode and log in.
- Press F2 to see the Product Information.
- Copy the location from under File Information.
- Open a folder and paste the location path and press enter.
- Select and Copy the .TLG and .QBW files from the folder.
- Go to your Desktop screen.
- Right-click and choose tocreate a new folder
- Paste them into the new folder.
- Set Windows access permissions for the New Folder.
- Turn to host mode on try to access your data now.
If the problem persists while accessing your data in multi-user mode than continue troubleshooting with the following steps.
Step 7: Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Here’s how you can download and run the File doctor tool to resolve network issues related to error code h202 QuckBooks 2020.
- Install the tool on your computer
- Click on the browse button to choose your database.
- Click to continue to scan your data for problems.
Once the tool completes the scan of your data open QB in multi-user mode to check if the problem has been resolved.
Continue with the next step if the problem is not fixed.
Step 8: Run QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool
Read this Article to learn about the connection diagnostic tool before you continue.
The QB connection diagnostic tool can help you repair damages and errors on your company file which causes network problems to communicate with the company file from the host computer and fix H-series errors.
Once you have downloaded the Connection Diagnostic Tool.
- Go to Utilities Menu and select repair Network problems.
- lick YES on the next window and press Continue.
- Choose the damaged file from the list > “show advanced settings”.
- Select the Error or problem you are facing with your Network from the Dropdown list.
- Now log in to continue.
Wait while the Diagnostic tool repairs your damaged data and fixes the network issues related to multi-user mode compatibility. This may take some time.
Once the scan is complete restart your software and try to access your data from a workstation to confirm if error code H202 in QuickBooks has been fixed, if not go to the next step.
Step 9: Reinstate the database server manager
Sometimes something as simple as just restarting the database manager has helped many users solve the H202 Error.
Lets perform the following steps to see if this is the solution to accomplish fixing this error:
- Press Windows key + Run to open the run box.
- Type services.MSC and click OK.
- From the list of services find QuickBooksDB28 for , QBDB29 for , QBDB30 for 
- Double click on your version of the software and Select stop to disable it.
- Right-Click and Choose startup type as Automatic
- Again right-click on the service and select restart the QuickBooksDB service from the drop-down.
- Now exit and restart your computer.
Once your computer is back on, Open QB desktop and check if you can communicate in multi-user mode now, If you still unable to access your files because the database manager is not working properly then renaming or recreating the .TLG and .ND from the backup folder is our next option.
Step 10: How to rename the .ND and .TLG file?
As we mentioned earlier in this article that when QB is trying to communicate with the host computer it looks for the .ND and the .QBW files is always in the same directory and ensures that it is in use to re-establish a connection successfully.
If QB is unable to locate these files than error code h202 QuickBooks 2017 will occur but don’t worry let’s recreate the .ND and .TLG on the computer with the error.
- Navigate to the company file backup folder to locate the .ND extension.
- Or simply Type *.ND on the windows search bar.
- You can choose to keep the damage .ND file but Rename it with a prefix (.ND.OLD).
- Or Right-Click and choose Delete.
- Confirm deletion if prompted on the screen
- Find the .TLG extension in the same directory and rename it too (.TLG.OLD)
- Next, Open database server manager to recreate new .ND and .TLG in the same folder.
- Press the Scan folder tab.
- Click Add and browse to the location of the company file folder.
- Choose the company file causing Error H202 and Press Ok.
- Start the scan and wait for the scan results to complete.
- After the database manager has Completed the Scan Restart QB.
Step 11: Use the QuickBooks Tools Hub to fix H202 Error
The All-in-one QuickBooks tools hub can help with fixing network connectivity issues. Furthermore, with innumerable problems related to Error H202 and other common Software or company file issues.
For detailed understanding learn more about the QuickBooks tools hub please continue to read this article and Download tools hub here.
Once you have download the tools hub on the left you will see all the features you need and many tools to address different problems related to multi-user issues and accounting data.
- Data file issues: This tab can help you with problems related to .QBW. Such as unable to open the company file, lost lists or data, and errors such as 6000, 6000-77.
- Network problems: Run the tool on your server computer and use this tab to fix QB H202 Error or H505.
- Program Problems: If you are having trouble accessing QB such as the program wouldn’t start or QB crashes, stopped working use this feature to find a solution including any PDF or printing-related issues from QB.
- Installation Issues: In case you are trying to uninstall the program or unable to reinstall getting error 1904. Use this tab.
- Password reset: This feature will help you reset passwords on your company data file.
Once the tool has repaired the company data successfully from here on moving forward switching to multi-user mode should not be a problem anymore.
Step 12: Update Windows to repair QB
Perform a windows version update check on every single computer including your server on which QuickBooks is being operated or specifically the user’s PC’s on which you are experiencing the following h202error. We recommend that all newer versions of QB from 2019 on should run on windows 10, If you are using a older version than now is the time to update your operating system.
Here is a simple way to perform system updates on your windows computers running QB.
- Go to the search bar and type windows update.
- From the list of search results choose windows update settings or simply click on check for updates, Once you are on the page you will the last checked for updated date and time.
- Now click on the Check for updates button.
- Windows will run a scan to see if their are new updates available and automatically update the required drivers and files and programs.
- After the updates have completed go ahead and restart your computer.
- Once you are back on login to your PC and open QuickBooks and try to access the same company file on which you initially experienced the error.
- If you are still unable to open the data file than go ahead and repair QB as shown above in step 3.
Being a QuickBooks Pro Advisor we are interested in guiding our readers to Quick solutions with problems you might face while operating the QB desktop software. In this post, we have covered all the proven and effective technical steps that has helped hundreds of users to find a solution to fix QuickBooks error H202 and we hope your problem has been solved as well by now.