QuickBooks Error “The file you specified cannot be opened” might leave you perplexed while you are in between something important. Though, you do not have any need to be perplexed anymore because the following blog will give an answer to all your dilemmas about the error, its causing elements apt for future precautionary steps, and solutions.
Cause of the QuickBooks error statement “The file you specified cannot be opened”
- The file is open on another server.
- The file is corrupt or damage.
- Your server has been attacked by malware.
- You are using a non-administrator account of the Windows.
- The QuickBooks isn’t properly installed.
- Windows or QuickBooks Update is incomplete or has failed.
- Inadequate credentials and permissions provided by the administrator.
How to fix the error “the file you specified cannot be opened”?
Solution 1: Try general solutions before trying advanced solutions
- Check if the file is open on another server.
- Check if the QuickBooks file is damaged (discussed in detail in solution 2).
- Scan your system with the help of virus and threat protection or your anti-virus software.
- Check if you are using an administrator account.
- Check if the QuickBooks and the Windows are up-to-date and properly installed.
You May Also Read: How to use QuickBooks Component Repair Tool?
Solution 2: Use the QuickBooks file repair doctor
- QuickBooks file doctor is an amazing tool is design to repair and restore common file related issues:
- Download the QuickBooks file repair doctor application/tool using your internet browser.
- When prompted select desktop as your default app location
- Run once the download has completed successfully.
- After the QuickBooks file repair doctor which it will prompt you to select the error causing file, it will leave you with two options that are if you’d like to repair the file in an updated version or in the current version.
- Select whichever option desire.
- If not accomplished successfully, there might be an error with the QuickBooks or one more error mentioned in solution 1.
Move on to the next solution
Solution 3: Try opening another file
Check if the error stays the same by opening another file;
Create a sample file save it and try opening it. If the error continues to appear move on to the next solution.
Solution 4: Check your firewall settings and anti-virus settings, turn off if required
Go to start > Search Control Panel > Security and firewall settings.
Due to firewalls and anti-virus’s security settings there might be a file error, try making the following changes:
- Change security level to medium, if no change observes a switch to low for time being and restart your computer.
- Whitelist QuickBooks and its QuickBooks Database manager in your firewall and anti-virus software.
- If nothing works, switch the firewall and anti-virus security off for a while and if still the error persists move on to the next solution.
Solution 5: Try reinstalling and repairing the QuickBooks
Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Modify/Uninstall > you can either choose to completely uninstall the QuickBooks or modify its settings and repair it depending on the situation.
Hopefully, the above solutions will prove out to be a holy grail for you if not, you know what to do.
If, you are still in a dilemma of getting rid of QuickBooks Error – “The file you specified cannot be opened” while it is stuck in your mind and to your files then worry not as the QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1-888-300-3913 is just a call away.
QuickBooks Error the File Exists | Solutions Simply Answered
QuickBooks is amazing software, but as like other Windows applications, it also shows certain technical glitches and errors. One such error that we are going to discuss in this article is “QuickBooks the file exists” error that can appear while performing different operations in the QuickBooks Desktop app like downloading payroll update, paying scheduled liabilities, or while opening a state or a federal form. If you get this error, you might see one of the following error messages on your computer desktop “The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file.” or “The Windows error was “The file exists.”
Call Error Support Number +1-888-300-3913 and Get in Touch with Experts for Instant Support
Reasons QuickBooks Get “The File Exists” Error
As stated by Intuit® a user might get “The file exists.“ or “The file you specified cannot be opened” error when the file that QuickBooks require to complete the request is in use by some other application or is a read erroneously by QuickBooks, some other reasons responsible for triggering the file exists error are listed below:
- Outdated QuickBooks Desktop application. (Update QuickBooks Now)
- User account does not have the required administrative rights on Windows. (Run QuickBooks as an Administrator)
- Inactive internet connection.
- Windows User Account Control settings are interrupting normal QuickBooks functioning.
- Errors in QuickBooks Installation. (Repair QuickBooks Installation Errors)
- Faulty Firewall and Internet security settings.
As the “The file exists” error might appear because of a number of different reasons, it becomes crucial to know the exact cause to apply the reason-specific troubleshooting method. Make sure to follow all the troubleshooting steps in the given sequence if you can’t figure out the real culprit behind the error.
Troubleshooting Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error “The File Exists”
Step 1: Check for QuickBooks Desktop Application Updates
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and from under the Help tab click Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Move to the Update Now tab and select Get Updates.
- Once the updates are downloaded, restart QuickBooks and click Install Now on the QuickBooks Update Service window.
- Once the updates are installed, try to perform the same action again and check if the error is resolved.
If you continue to face the same error, then follow the next troubleshooting method.
Step 2: Turn Off UAC in Windows Settings
Windows User Account Control settings are meant to protect the operating system from external threats by restricting their actions. Often-times, Windows UAC settings suspect QuickBooks processes as a threat to Windows security and prevents it from performing any action that results in errors in QuickBooks. Disabling UAC temporarily, allow QuickBooks to function properly that can fix the error. For detailed instructions of turning off User Account Control in Windows follow Troubleshooting Step 1 from our article on QuickBooks Error PS032 and PS077
Step 3: Allow Full Control Access to the User
Windows can be operated with different types of user accounts having different level of privileges. Admin user by default has full control access to files and folders on Windows and this is what QuickBooks requires to function correctly. Follow the steps listed below if your user account does not have the admin rights:
- Right click the QB Desktop icon and choose Open File Location option.
- Now hit the Backspace key on your keyboard or click the backward arrow at the top-left to navigate to the root folder.
- Right click the QuickBooks Folder and choose Properties.
- Under the Security section click Edit and choose Add.
- Select Everyone and then OK.
- Now choose the Full Control option and then hit Apply.
- Follow the same steps mentioned above but instead of selecting Everyone, select your User this time.
Step 4: Re-register QuickBooks .DLL and .OCX file using Reboot.bat file
QuickBooks Reboot.bat is a utility that re-registers most of the crucial QuickBooks installation files automatically and helps resolve some of the most complex errors like “The File Exists” error in QuickBooks. Follow the
- Exit QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Right-click the QB icon on your desktop and select Properties.
- Choose Open File Location and find the reboot.bat file in the folder.
- Now right-click the Reboot.bat file and select Run as Administrator.
- Wait until the black color command prompt window scrolls all the QuickBooks files and exits automatically.
- Restart Windows and check if the file exists error is resolved.
Step 5: Configure Windows Firewall, Repair QuickBooks Desktop and Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks
- For detailed instructions on how to configure Windows firewall ports, How to Repair QuickBooks Desktop and How to Perform a clean installation of QuickBooks Desktop application follow Troubleshooting Steps 3, 4, and 5 from our article on QBDBMgrN Not Running Error.
IMPORTANT: You might also get error “The File Exists” error while printing a form using QuickBooks Desktop, and in such case, we suggest you follow the given solution.
- Press Windows + R and type Control Panel and hit OK.
- Select Devices and Printers.
- Right-click and select Remove on any printer that is no longer in use or is showing an error sign.
- Exit QuickBooks Desktop and open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del keys together.
- Click the Processes tab and right click QBW32.exe.
- Select End Process and select Yes for confirmation.
- Now navigate to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks if you are using QuickBooks Premier or navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\(QuickBooks_version)\TSPrinterSettings\ if you are using QuickBooks Enterprise.
- Find and delete QBPRINT.qbp file from the folder and open QuickBooks again to give a print.
In case if you are not feeling comfortable following any of the troubleshooting steps or if the given solution is not working for you then we suggest you get in touch with our Support Team at +1-888-300-3913. Our experts are proficient in handling QuickBooks Payroll update errors like the File Exists error and can provide you an instant solution to the problem in the shortest time possible.
The file you specified cannot be opened in QuickBooks
What is the QuickBooks error message: “The file you specified cannot be opened”?
QuickBooks users usually come across the error: the file you specified cannot be opened in QuickBooks when they are trying to open the QuickBooks company file on a Windows workstation. While updating QuickBooks desktop or QuickBooks payroll or while the user tries to open federal or state forms, pay scheduled liabilities they receive the following error message.
The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file.
The Windows error was “The file exists.”
What are the cause of “the file you specified cannot be opened” QuickBooks error message?
There are various reasons that can be the cause of the file specified that cannot be opened in QuickBooks. Some of them are mentioned below:
- QuickBooks cannot read the company file correctly
- QuickBooks company file is damaged
- QuickBooks is not updated
- The QuickBooks desktop update agent/manager tool is not able to update QuickBooks
- User account control settings are not configured suitably
- A firewall is not configured to allow QuickBooks to exchange data from the Intuit server
- Security and third-party applications like spyware, malware bytes, etc are conflicting with QuickBooks
- QuickBooks installation is corrupted
How to Resolve QuickBooks error message: The file you specified cannot be opened
According to different causes for this error in QuickBooks. There are various solutions that can resolve the error message: the file specified cannot be opened. Try the troubleshooting steps given below to repair the error instantly on your own. Contact QuickBooks desktop support if supervision is required.
Solution 1: Repair QuickBooks Desktop in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 & Windows 10
Note down the QuickBooks error message you see on the screen and report it to QuickBooks error support to get updated solutions by Intuit QuickBooks experts to repair various QuickBooks desktop errors.
- Close all the running QuickBooks windows
- Restart the system
- Go to the start button and type control panel
- In the control panel window, choose programs and features
- locate QuickBooks and click on uninstall/change
- Choose to continue and the next option
- Select to repair your Quickbooks and let the repair process to complete
- Click on finish and restart your desktop
- After restarting the desktop, Open your QuickBooks and download the latest release of QuickBooks desktop and download latest tax table.
Solution 2: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to resolve installation errors causing “the file you specified cannot be opened” QuickBooks error
QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool: QuickBooks Component Repair Tool – QBInstall tool
- Download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Save the File when prompted
- Run QuickBooks install diagnostic tool to detect errors in your QuickBooks
- Make sure QuickBooks and all background applications are closed
- Tool Installation time depends upon system configuration and performance
- Restart the computer after installation of the QuickBooks diagnostic tool to ensure correct installation
- You need to re-register or reactivate your QuickBooks after installing this QuickBooks component repair tool
Download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
QBinstall Tool: Download Link
Solution 3: Update QuickBooks to get rid of the file you specified cannot be opened QuickBooks error
Intuit provides QuickBooks Update from time to time, which are available over the Internet or at QuickBooks Download Center.
- Go to Download and Updates Pages
- Select the Product you i.e. QuickBooks Pro, Premier, etc
- Select the Version i.e. QuickBooks Pro 2018, QuickBooks Premier 2018, etc
- Search and Select Get Latest Updates, then click on Save to download the Updates
- Install Updates and Restart the computer
- If you have an active Payroll Subscription, Install Updates from the download center
Solution 4: Allow Full access to the Users to eliminate QuickBooks error message “the file you specified cannot be opened”
By giving full control to the users you can get rid of the file you specified cannot be opened QuickBooks error. Try these steps to give full control to the users.
- Locate QuickBooks icon, Right-click on QuickBooks icon, choose to Open file location
- Press the Backspace key once to go to the location of the folder
- Right-click on the QuickBooks folder, and select Properties
- Click on the Security tab, select Edit & select add
- Type Everyone and then select ok
- Click on the Full Control option and choose to apply
- Repeat the previous step, entering Users instead of Everyone.
- Go to the Control Panel and on the Search bar, enter UAC and select Change User Account Control settings.
- Perform one of the following steps:
- Switch off UAC: Drag the slider to Never notify, click on ok, and save the setting for the future.
- Switch on UAC: Drag the slider to choose when you want to be notified, click on ok and save the settings for the future.
Solution 5: Run the Reboot.bat file to resolve the file you specified cannot be opened
- Go to Program files in your C drive
- Open file by the name of Intuit
- Select the version that you are using for e.g. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 10.0 or QuickBooks Pro 2016
- Search for reboot.bat file and double click on it
- After running the rebbot.bat file it will restart your system and will make sure components of QuickBooks are registered properly
How to Fix “The file you specified cannot be opened” errors in QuickBooks
Steps to fix Error “The File you specified cannot be opened” in QuickBooks
QuickBooks is a robust account software, but like any other accounting software this too receives errors at times. But the best part is that this leading accounting software often notifies the users of the problems through error messages. When you try to download any payroll update or open up any state form or paying scheduled liabilities, you may receive this error.
“The file you specified cannot be opened.” So just make sure that it does not currently get utilized by another program or read-the only file.”
Why This Error Occurs
The reason behind this error may be due to the fact that QuickBooks has downloaded software or payroll updates and now it is unable to install these updates as a result of Windows user approvals or user control settings in windows view or windows 7/8.
The image as shown below is similar which appears on your desktop.
The Windows state was “The file you specified cannot be opened” and “The file exists”
Mainly this error occurs if a file is not read correctly.
Important points before troubleshooting
Some advance tips to fix the above error:
- Click on ‘OK‘ continuously till the error message gets updated 100%.
- Now close and then again open QuickBooks.
- Make sure that the QuickBooks version is of the latest version.
- Close QuickBooks software and restart your desktop.
- After restarting QB Desktop, right-click on QuickBooks and choose ‘Run as administrator‘.
If the error does not get fixed then:
- Make use of the internet through data cable when you retrieve the updates. Utilizing the WI-FI connection for the updates may lead to unexpected results.
- Now open user account control settings
- Go to ‘Control panel‘
- If you use Windows 7 then, tap on the ‘Windows‘ button and then click on ‘control panel‘.
- If you are using Windows 8 then press ‘Start‘ menu, and type to search ‘Control panel‘. Now click on the control panel.
- If you are accessing from Windows 10 then, select ‘Search icon‘ on the task-bar and type ‘Control Panel‘. After finding it tap on it to open.
- Now after opening control panel, on search bar enter ‘Change User Account Control‘ settings.
- Now do either of the following things:
- Turn off UAC: You can move the slider to the “Never notify” and then choose ‘OK‘. If asked then enter the password to provide confirmation. Now restart your device to ‘Allow‘ the changes.
- Turn on UAC: You can move the slider to choose when you need to get notified and tap ‘OK‘. If you receive a prompt, type in the password or give confirmation.
How to Fix “the file you specified cannot be opened” errors?
Below we have mentioned few easy steps to troubleshoot the on-going problem:
Step 1: Ensure QuickBooks is updated
Many QuickBooks users are unaware of the fact that the updates many times become fixes to many QuickBooks glitches, ultimately enhancing the performance of the software. Thus, it is often suggested to update your QuickBooks frequently and enjoy stable and secure QuickBooks performance.
Step 2: Switch to another internet connection
At times wireless internet connection might create an issue. Therefore, switching to a wired internet connection might be a savior in such situations.
Step 3: Appropriate Windows permissions for QuickBooks
In order to gain access to the files present in the QuickBooks desktop folder, it is important to set up the Windows users.
Note: To fix the issue altogether, it is recommended to right-click the QuickBooks icon, followed by selecting the Run as Administrator option. In case if it doesn’t work, the user can carry out the following steps.
- To begin with, right-click the ‘QuickBooks Desktop icon‘, followed by selecting the ‘Properties option‘. Also, choose the ‘Security‘ tab along with selecting ‘Edit‘.
- In the next step, the user is required to tap on to the ‘Add‘ option, followed by entering ‘Everyone‘.
- Once done with that, the user is required to hit ‘OK‘, and then select the ‘Full Control‘ option.
- Now, repeat Step 2 and 3 respectively, but the make sure you enter ‘Users‘ in place of Everyone. Move ahead, by selecting ‘Apply‘.
- Lastly, hit ‘OK‘ and you are good to go.
Step 4: Altering the User Account Control Settings
Perform the task that you were doing earlier, but only after temporarily turning off the ‘User Account Control‘. If the error is removed, then this actually means that the current security setting is not compatible with QuickBooks.
Step 5: Configuring the Internet and Firewall security settings
In certain cases, firewall and internet security settings block the access of QuickBooks Desktop. Therefore, trying to configure the firewall and internet settings might work in your favor.
Step 6: Run Reboot.bat
At times a restart can be a perfect solution, when the QuickBooks Desktop processes get stuck. Thus, to give it a fresh start, you can run reboot.bat.
Step 7: Fixing QuickBooks Desktop
To check whether the folder and files of QuickBooks require some maintenance, running a QuickBooks repair might be helpful.
Step 8: Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop with the help of a clean install
To replace the old files with new ones, the QuickBooks users can prefer a clean install. This might work, as a freshly installed software generally doesn’t bring in any such issue.
If the issue still persists, you can contact our QuickBooks Customer Support team at +1-888-300-3913. We are available 24×7 and feature best in class services. We fix a all sorts of QuickBooks issues.