Rebuild QuickBooks Data File to Fix the Corruption . |
Summary: The blog defines the reasons that lead to QuickBooks corruption and data damage as well as describes the procedure to Rebuild QuickBooks data file using built-in Rebuild Data utility. It also suggests an alternate QuickBooks recovery solution for recover QBW file in case of higher damage.
QuickBooks, accounting software built for medium and small sized business sectors is error free and user-centric application. Two most popular built-in utilities being offered by the application are Verify Data and Rebuild Data. The former identifies most commonly occurred data issues while the latter resolves data integrity issues found by Verify Data utility.
The most common reasons for using the Verify and Rebuild utilities are when severe errors appear while you use QuickBooks desktop and any discrepancies found on reports such as the bills or invoices being a post with negative values. Other reasons that call upon the need to rebuild QuickBooks data file are:
- Deposited payments are displayed in the Payments to Deposit section
- When balance sheet reports do not display all accounts
- When data checkups are run to ensure that the file is error free
- Transactions are missing or displayed inaccurately in the window
- When names found missing from the lists
Procedure to Rebuild QuickBooks Data File Documents
The process to rebuild QuickBooks data file is quite simple and straight forward.
- Open QuickBooks and then click on File.
- Click on Utilities and then select Rebuild Data.
- If the application displays a warning message for backing up the file, click on OK.
- The application will then display Rebuild has completed, click OK.
- Then run Verify Data to check for the remaining data damage.
- If the application displays ‘QuickBooks is not responding’ message, move the mouse indicator and wait for the data rebuild process to complete.
- If the verify operation fails to accomplish successfully, attempt to repeat the process till the application verifies the file for persisting messages.
Even though there are several procedures available to rebuild QuickBooks data file.
Manual Ways to reduce QuickBooks File Corruption
You can reduce the corruption risk by implementing some manual techniques.
Specify File Volume to Reduce Corruption Risk
The overall size of QuickBooks file largely contributes to corruption, but it is not always necessary that only large files turn corrupt. It can be said that larger the volume of the file, greater the risk of corruption. Thus, it is recommended to constantly monitor the size of the file and keep it under control.
Monitor and Reduce Database Fragments
The number of database fragments can be monitored in the Product Information window. If the database has 10 or more database fragments, you can follow the given procedure to reduce the fragments.
- Resort List: In the list menu, use Resort List option. Re-sorting the list through list headers will not put the same re-organization effect on the file.
Note: Some lists may not show Resort List selection
- Rebuild File: After re-sorting the company file, you can use QuickBooks data file rebuild utility by following the procedure mentioned in the initial section of the blog. Rebuild Quickbooks Data file data utility can also be used to repair the risks of corruption.
- Create Portable Company File: One of the most preferred ways to reduce database fragments is creating a portable Company file and then restore the Portable Company file to re-index the database.
- Run Windows Defragmentation Utility: The fragmentation level of the hard drive can affect the fragmentation level of the accounting application database; therefore, you can now run Windows defragmentation utility on the hard drive where the application file is stored.
General Network Issues & Maintenance
In a multi-user environment, incorrectly configured routers can affect the QuickBooks performance thus increasing the risk of corruption. If the network interruption is caused due to incorrect configuration of the Server or malfunctioning of the hardware components, the QuickBooks data file may turn corrupt.
Corruption in QuickBooks data files may occur if there is anyone or combination of issues persists within the network:
- Any connection issues exist with routers
- Any Operating System issues
- Hardware or network driver issues persist on workstation network adapters
Corruption due to Transaction(s):
If the corruption in QuickBooks data file is associated with one or more transactions, you can attempt to repair the issue by first deleting and then re-entering the transactions. To find the particular transaction that is creating an issue, it is recommended to search the document number in the report and then delete and re-enter the transaction.
Corruption in the QuickBooks database file can cause discrepancies in the Balance Sheet. If any imbalances are found in the file even after executing above workaround methods, you can try alternate recovery techniques.
Points to Consider:
- If QBW rebuild utility fails to recover the database from errors and damage, it is recommended to look for another recovery solution.
- If you fail to find the error persisting in the QuickBooks file, the best way to resolve the issue is to restore it from backup.
- Make sure that the existing Company file is not overwritten. Any additional information is entered since the last backup must be entered manually after the restore function is done successfully.
What to do when Manual QuickBooks Rebuild Fails
Stellar Repair for QuickBooks Software helps to recover all types of corruption in the application and retrieve crucial business information related to employees, vendors, services, customers, etc. To check the amazing features of this QBW file repair software, click on the Download button:
Several benefits are offered by the QuickBooks file repair application. which are as follows:
- This QuickBooks repair software helps to recover all the components of the QuickBooks database file including paychecks and payroll transactions.
- The major benefit is that it acts as a comprehensive .QBW recovery solution and supports the recovery of multiple currencies.
- All the recoverable components can be previewed with the help of the software before actually performing the recovery procedure.
- Complete Recovery is done including Items and Services, job information of customers, job information of vendors, charts of accounts, transaction information of customers, and much more.
- Selection of QuickBooks file can be done from any user defined location for performing the recovery operation. If the location of the QuickBooks data file is unknown, the tool allows searching and locating it right from the tool panel.
- Whenever a repair is performed, the tool saves the log report corresponding to each and every task is executed for repairing a particular file. This information can be used for future reference.
- It supports QuickBooks 2020 and all lower versions.
- The software is compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, Server 2003 & 2000.
Hence, above discussed manual and alternative methods to rebuild QuickBooks Data File can be savior for you to fix the severe corruption in your QBW file. Don’t wait to try and let us know the feedback!
QuickBooks Company File Repair – All There is to Know
Summary: In this blog, we’ve tried to compile everything there is to know about QuickBooks Company File Repair. A QuickBooks Company File (QBW) can become corrupt due to several reasons like large file size, improper system shutdown, virus attack, etc. The blog outlines these and other possible causes of the QuickBooks company file corruption, how you can know about it (symptoms), how to prevent this from happening. Also, it describes how corruption in QBW file can be fixed through free as well as professional QuickBooks File Repair tools. If you’ve been waiting for a concise guide about repairing QuickBooks file, well, this is your lucky day!
If you’ve been working with QuickBooks® long enough, you know that it’s a business accounting software developed by Intuit and has small and medium-sized organizations as its target audience. QuickBooks® offers on-premise accounting as well as cloud-based accounting to make business payments, managing and paying bills, and payroll functions easier. For professionals and small-time entrepreneurs, QuickBooks has rightfully become the go-to product when it comes to managing their financial activities with ease. And what makes such solid performance possible? A solid database of course!
The Intuit database behind QuickBooks is quite competent in handling business pressure and growing demands. However, like all other databases, it is prone to problems every now and then. Corruption in QuickBooks Company File is a common problem faced by users. And a corrupt QBW file cannot be opened and used until it is repaired.
How to Identify Corruption in QuickBooks Company file?
In order to know when you need to repair a QBW file, it is important to identify corruption in the file.
Following are some problems that you may face due to corruption in QuickBooks Company File:
- Errors like “A data problem prevents QuickBooks from continuing” in the Verify Data Utility or “Verify Target: Values in minor do not match major” on your screen or in the Qbwin.log file.
- Sudden shutdown of QuickBooks when trying to save or delete a transaction.
- Faulty reports like Balance Sheets where the total assets don’t match the total liabilities and equity.
- Missing transactions and entries from Lists.
- Account names preceded by an asterisk (*), which were created by QuickBooks because the original accounts were missing
- QuickBooks running slow, operations taking longer than normal
- Paid bills and invoices showing as unpaid
- Transaction History shows a negative balance.
- On opening the Send Feedback Online > Bug Report window, you see an HTML code.
Data damage in Quickbooks comes in many forms and scenarios, but what’s most important to note is, that anything that makes the data look strange could be a sign of QuickBooks corruption.
Reasons Behind QuickBooks Company Data File Corruption
Now that you know how you to identify corruption in your QuickBooks database, the next logical step would be to investigate what causes QuickBooks data corruption. This might lend a helping hand in performing QuickBooks Company File Repair.
Some common reasons for data damage and corruption in QuickBooks include:
- The QuickBooks database file size expanding beyond its healthy limit or 200 MB (for QuickBooks Pro) or 450 MB (for QuickBooks Enterprise).
- Lack of resources like RAM, Virtual Memory, network interface cards, routers, network cables, etc.
- A sudden power surge or drop has the capability to trash your entire hard drive if you don’t have a proper UPS.
- Improper system shutdown due to technical or other reasons could lead to QuickBooks database corruption.
- Virus attacks on the hard drive on which the database is stored.
- Development of bad sectors on the hard drive where the database is stored.
Though the reasons can broadly be classified in the above categories, it is important to remember that there can be other unknown reasons as well for QuickBooks database corruption.
How to Fix Corruption in QuickBooks Company File?
A corrupt QBW file can be repaired manually, by using free tools or with the help of a professional QuickBooks Company File Repair software.
Method 1 – Manual Method to Repair QuickBooks Company File
You can try to manually repair the QBW file by using Verify & Rebuild Data utility using the following steps:
- Open the data file and log-in as administrator.
- Select the Single User Mode and then initiate data verification by clicking on File > Utilities > Verify Data.
The ‘Verify’ process could take some time depending on the size of the file. If this process takes too long or does not complete, you should do a complete rebuild as follows:
- Make a local copy of the data file from the server.
- Enable temporary hosting on the machine where it is copied (if required) and open the file and log-in as administrator.
- Click on File > Utilities > Rebuild Data.
Once the rebuild is complete, save a copy of the repaired QBW file on the local machine as well as on the server. Refrain from hosting the file on the local machine and give the new file a different name than the original file.
Note: Complete rebuild takes even more time than the ‘Verify’ process. Until the process finishes, take care not to interrupt this process at any cost. If possible, do not use using the machine while the process is running.
Method 2 – Free Tools
Though the manual method is simple to implement, it often takes a lot of time to complete. A better approach could be to use a free QuickBooks Company File Repair tool.
Here are some popular QBW file repair tools:
Re-registers various QuickBooks related components with Microsoft Windows.
- QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Diagnoses and repairs a number of problems, with the main focus being on the Microsoft .NET Framework.
- QuickBooks Component Repair Tool
It fixes problems that prevent QuickBooks from running.
- QuickBooks File Doctor
It fixes certain kinds of file and data corruption, Windows setup problems, and network setup problems. Detailed information about this tool is available here.
Method 3 – QuickBooks Company File Repair Software
Even free tools can’t fix all problems; hence, it is recommended to fix QuickBooks Company Data File corruption by using reliable and efficient third-party software such as Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software. This competent software repairs corrupt QuickBooks data (QBW) file and recover every bit of information stored in it.
Also, the software provides a free preview of recoverable data from corrupt QBW files.
Steps to Repair Corrupt QuickBooks® Company File with Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software
Repairing your corrupt QBW file using this software is very easy. Follow these steps exactly in the order as described:
Step 1: Download, install and launch Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software.
Figure 3 – Main Interface of Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software
Step 2: In the software’s main interface window, click Select File to choose the corrupt company file you want to repair, and then click Scan File.
Note: If you are not aware of your QBW file location, click Find to search for the file in a particular drive.
Step 3: Once the selected file is scanned, follow the instructions to Preview your company file data.
Figure 4 – Instructions to Preview QuickBooks® Company File Data
Note: For saving the scanned QBW file, you need to register for Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software. If you have already registered for the software, proceed with the next step.
Step 4: Click Repair for saving the file.
Step 5: In the Save File window that appears, perform the following:
- Click Browse to choose the location of a new blank file containing data of the repaired file.
- Select the QuickBooks version.
- Click Start to initiate the saving process.
Step 6: Click OK when the ‘Repair process completed successfully’ message appears.
Once you have fixed QuickBooks Company File corruption, you cannot be sure that it won’t happen again. However, you can minimize the risk factors that contribute to its happening and protect your data by safeguarding it better. Here’s how:
- The best bet against data corruption is to take multiple back-ups at different physical locations. Better make it a regular routine to be sure you always have a complete back-up of your data.
- Online backing up is also very effective. It eliminates threats to physical backups.
- Keep tabs on the size of the QuickBooks Database File and if it threatens to expand beyond its healthy limit, reduce its size using third-party tools.
Resolve Data Damage on your QuickBooks Company File
No doubt, QuickBooks is reliable accounting software that offers a comprehensive accounting solution to entrepreneurs all across the globe. This software ensures outstanding and super smooth management of the accounting and bookkeeping activities, at the same time it delivers the performance outcomes. For professionals and entrepreneurs, this software has become the go-to product, when it comes to managing the business financial activities with much effortlessness. A solid database makes this kind of performance possible.
But when it comes to technicalities, codes, and algorithms, the QuickBooks user might encounter certain bugs. The positive aspect of this software is that the Intuit database behind it is quite competent in handling pressures and growing demands, as well as the errors that might hinder the smooth working. Considering this, we have come up with this article, where we will be discussing about QuickBooks company file data damage problem. This article is dedicated to the simple process that the users can follow, in order to get rid of the QuickBooks company file data damage error.
However, a quick fix for the issue can be to consult our support team via our toll-free number i.e. +1-844-521-0490. Our team of experts and certified professionals will ensure to provide you round the clock assistance for every QuickBooks associated issue.
Related article: How to access QuickBooks desktop remotely?
Signs to detect corruption in QuickBooks Company file
- Bugs just like “A data problem prevents QuickBooks from continuing” in the Verify data Utility or “Verify Target: Values in minor do not match major” on the screen or in the Qbwin.log file.
- Another sign can be if the QuickBooks suddenly shutdowns on making an attempt to save or delete a transaction.
- Erroneous reports just like the balance sheets, where the total of Assets doesn’t tally with that of Liabilities and Equity.
- If the QuickBooks is running slowly, or the operations are taking longer than in general, then the user might face any such issue.
- If your paid bills or invoices are showed as unpaid, then there might be chances of corruption in data file.
- Is any of your transaction and entry missing from the lists? If yes, then this can be the sign of QuickBooks company file data damage.
- If a negative balance remaining is shown in the transaction history, it might be a sign of such error.
Well, it should be noted that it is not actually difficulty to spot the error. It all depends upon observing the working of the software closely. In case the users come across any of the above-listed symptoms, then they should understand that there might be some issue with QuickBooks company file data.
What instigated QuickBooks company file corruption?
- If your file data size exceeds the healthy limit, these issues are quite normal.
- Or if there is lack of resources just like the RAM, network interface cards, network cables, virtual memory, etc, then you might end up in this type of issue.
- If you hard drive is attacked by any kind of virus, then this might lead to such error.
- Inappropriate shutdown of the system, because of any kind of technical factor might lead to such kind of issue.
- And the list continues…………..
QuickBooks company file data damage can be really annoying, confusing, as well as time consuming. Therefore, we have some preventive measures that the users can take, in order to avoid these kinds of issues. Let us have a look:
Go for a hard-wired network over wireless one:
For the ones who have wireless network, it is highly recommended to switch to a hard-wired network. As wireless network augments the risk of dropped connections, ultimately leading to data file issues. A hard wired network can be a great fix for avoiding these issues more stringently.
In the very first line in the Product information window, the user can find the release number. With the help of this release number and using the latest patch, this type of issue can be resolved.
Keep an eye on the list size:
The user is required to keep an eye on the list limits in QuickBooks Pro and Premier. This is very much important, as there won’t be any sign for reaching the upper limit. Also, note that the inactive list items do not count in this list.
Ensure the file size is in limit:
With the file size 250 MB, QuickBooks Pro and Premier work smoothly. Once the file size touches 500 MB, the file might slow down. Though, QuickBooks Enterprise works properly with 500 MB, but issues might occur with 750 MB file. Thus, it is recommended to make sure to maintain the file in the prescribed limit, in order avoid any kind of issue.
Quick fixes to resolve data damage on QuickBooks company file
In case the user suspects the data issues in QuickBooks company file, he/she may opt for any of the below stated fixes. Let us explore each of the methods one by one.
Step 1: Run the Verify and Rebuild data
- First of all, the user is required to open the data file, followed by logging in as administrator.
- Once done with that, choose the Single user more, and then begin with the data verification process by tapping on to the File > Utilities > Rebuild data.
- Now, the user is supposed to make a local copy of the data file form the server.
- Permit temporary hosting on the system where it is copied.
- The user will then have to wait for some time, as at times the system might display the message that QuickBooks is not responding, then in that case wait for it to complete.
- After that, click on OK tab after receiving the message stating “Rebuild has completed”, and move ahead to carry out the verify utility process.
Important note: The entire rebuild process takes even more time. Also, the user is required to ensure that they do not interrupt the process until it finishes. Until the process completes, the user is suggested to stop using the system on which it is initiated.
Step 2: Run the verify Utility
- The user is required to click on the file menu, and then on utilities option. Along with that select the verify data option.
- In the next step, click OK on the message you receive, which would help you in accessing the company file.
- After that, the user will get a prompt to rebuild now or view error, in case the verify utility found any issue with data.
- Once done with that, the user is recommended to just click on the close option and consult some professionals.
Troubleshoot the data damage issue in QuickBooks desktop for Mac
If you want to record back in order, then re-sorting the lists can really work in your favor. In case you have manually changed the order of a list, then re-sorting it will undo the changes.
Detect problem transactions using reports
Running the balance sheet in cash and accrual basis
- The first step is to visit the reports menu, followed by selecting the company & financial option, and then hit the balance sheet detail option.
- In the next step, the user is required to choose either accrual or cash option under the accounting method. The point to be noted here is that if the total assets don’t tally with the equity and liability section, then in that case the user is required to determine the transaction causing the issue.
Evaluate the account report totals to balances on the chart of accounts.
- The user is required to evaluate and compare the total in the Open Invoices report to the accounts receivable balance on the Chart of accounts.
- Also, compare the overall in the unpaid bills report to the Accounts payable balance on the chart of accounts. In case the total doesn’t match the balance, then the user is required to check the transaction causing the problem. The user is then required to backup the company file, after that delete and re-enter the transaction.
Merge damaged accounts, items or names
Merge damaged accounts
- The very first step is to visit the lists menu, then choose the Chart of Accounts.
- The next step is to hold the Control key, then choose the damaged account. Then, select the Edit Account.
- After that, add an asterisk to the name and hit on Cancel.
- Now, the user is required to hold the control key and choose any account.
- Once done with that, the user is required to select new account.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to select the appropriate type, and then enter the original name of the problem account.
- The next step is to select OK button.
- And move ahead, by holding the Control key, and then choose the edit account option.
- Once done with that, the user is required to remove the asterisk from the account name, and then choose OK button.
- The last and final step is to select Yes to confirm that want to merge the two items.
Merge damaged items
- The first step is to visit the Lists menu, and then select the Items.
- Then, the next step is to press the Control key and then choose the damaged item, followed by selecting the Edit item option.
- The next step is to add asterisk to the name of the item, and then choose Cancel option.
- Now, hold the control key and then choose any item.
- Followed by selecting New Item.
- Once done with that, the user is required to select the appropriate type, and then enter the original name of the problem item.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to select OK button.
- In the next step, the user has to tap on the Control key and choose the original item and select Edit item.
- The user is required to remove the asterisk from the item name and hit OK.
- The last step is to tap on Yes and confirm that the user want to merge the two items.
Merge damaged names
- The first step is to open the corresponding center for the type of name you are merging.
- The next step is to tap on the control key and then choose the damaged name and hit the edit option.
- After that, the user is required to add an asterisk to the name and then choose cancel.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to hold the control key and choose any name.
- Then, hit New option.
- Now, the user is required to select the appropriate type, and then enter the original name.
- And hit Ok to move ahead.
- Moving forward, once again tap on the control key and choose the original name, followed by selecting the Edit option.
- The next step is to remove the asterisk (*) from the name, and move to the last step by hitting OK button.
- Lastly, the user is required to choose Yes and confirm that the user wants to merge the two names.
Removing the memorized reports or transactions
Erase memorized reports
- The first step in this process is to visit the Reports menu and then choose the Report center.
- Followed by selecting the report that the user wants to delete, and then select the name once.
- Then choose the red X, and then tap on Ok to delete the memorized report.
Delete Memorized Transactions
- To begin with, the user is required to visit the List menu, and then choose the Memorized transactions.
- The next step in this process is to select the transaction that the user wants to delete.
- And then move to the Edit menu, and then select the choose Delete memorized transaction.
- The last step is to choose the Ok option, in order to delete the memorized transaction.
Free tools to fix the company file issues in QuickBooks
Although the manual method is the easiest one to carry out, but might take a lot of time to complete. A quick approach for the same can be to use a free tool for repairing the Resolve data damage on your company file QuickBooks company file:
Some of the free tools that can help to repair the company file are as follows:
QuickBooks File doctor tool
The QuickBooks file doctor tool fixes certain issues associated with QuickBooks company file and data corruption, also issues such as Windows setup problems, and network setup problems.
QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
QuickBooks component repair tool
With the help of QuickBooks component repair tool, the users can fix the issues that stop the software from running smoothly.
The user can re-register the various QuickBooks related components with Microsoft Windows.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks crash com error?
These were a few of the tools that can be used by the QB users, in case the manual method fails to fix the data damage problem in QuickBooks desktop. However, if the user still faces any kind of issue, or if the user is unable to tackle the issue, then it is recommended to speak to our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team via our toll-free number i.e. +1-888-300-3913.
We own a pool of experts and certified QB professionals, who are well-versed in dealing with all sorts of issues associated with QuickBooks. Thus, feel free to talk to our support team and get answers to all your queries.
Summary: Read this article to know ‘how to fix data damage in QuickBooks Desktop company file?’ It discusses manual solutions to fix the company file data issues. Also, it suggests an automated solution to repair damaged QuickBooks company file, following simple steps, without downtime.
You may experience a problem in opening your QuickBooks Company file or get errors while working on the file due to data issues with the company file.
Solutions to Fix Data Damage in QuickBooks Desktop Company File
Following are some solutions you can try to resolve minor issues with the company file. However, if the company file data is severely damaged or corrupt, you may consider using a specialized QuickBooks Repair Software to repair the QuickBooks company file.
Solution 1 – Use the Rebuild Data Tool
If you can open your QuickBooks Desktop company file, try using the QBDT built-in ‘Rebuild Data’ utility to resolve minor company file data issues.
Note: If you cannot open a QuickBooks company file, skip to the next solution.
Steps to run the rebuild data tool are as follows:
Step 1: Open your QBW file, click the File menu, select Utilities, and then click Rebuild Data.
Figure 1 – Run Rebuild Data Tool
Step 2: Click OK when prompted to continue with rebuilding your data.
Figure 2 – Proceed with Rebuilding Data
Step 3: Again, click OK when the QuickBooks Information dialog box opens.
Figure 3 – QuickBooks Information Window
Step 4: In the ‘Create Backup’ window, click Options to perform a local backup of the QB data file.
Note: Choose an external drive to save the backup, and avoid placing the backup in the same place where the original company file is located.
Step 6: Click the Next button from the ‘Create Backup’ window.
Step 7: Enter the name of your file that you want to backup, and click Save.
Step 8: The tool will start backing up the QBW file.
Note: You may have to wait for some time for the backup process to complete.
Step 9: Once the QBW backup file (QBB) is created, the tool will start rebuilding the data file. When the ‘Rebuild has complete’ message appears, click OK.
Figure 4 – Rebuild Complete Message Box
Note: Rebuilding the QB data file may take some time, depending on the file size. Your QB program may also seem stuck during the process, but the tool is working provided you can move your mouse.
Step 11: Click the QB File menu, choose Utilities, and then select Verify Data.
Figure 5 – Select Verify Data Utility
Step 12: The Verify Data tool will now check your QBW file for data issues.
Solution 2 – Use QuickBooks File Doctor
If you are unable to open the QuickBooks Company file, your company file may be corrupt. If so, try repairing the file using QuickBooks File Doctor tool. The tool helps resolve company file issues in QBDT. It can repair company file errors in QuickBooks Desktop like error -6150, -6000, H101, H202, etc.
The File Doctor tool is available in QuickBooks Tool Hub, a collection of several tools that help fix your QB program and data issues. So, to use the File Doctor tool, you will need to download Tool Hub. The detailed steps are as follows:
Step 1: Download and Install the most recent version of QuickBooks Desktop Tool Hub. Once installed, double-click the Tool Hub icon on your Windows desktop.
Step 2: The QuickBooks Tool Hub window is displayed.
Figure 6 – QuickBooks Tool Hub Main Interface
Step 3: Click the Company File Issues tab from the Tool Hub and click Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
Figure 7 – Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Step 4: When the QuickBooks Desktop File Doctor window opens, do the following:
- Select the QBW file from the drop-down list. If you cannot find the file, browse and select your QBW file.
- Choose the ‘Check your file’ option, and then click Continue.
Figure 8 – Scan QuickBooks Company File for Errors
Step 5: Enter your QB admin password when prompted, and then click Next.
The File Doctor tool will start scanning the company file (QBW). Usually, the scanning process takes up to 5 minutes, but the time can exceed depending on the file size. Once the scanning is complete, try opening QuickBooks and your QBW file.
Solution 3 – Manually Repair by Rebuilding the Data
If the issues with your company file persist, you can manually fix the errors by running the ‘Verify Data’ tool. To do so, follow these steps:
Step 2: Wait for the tool to check your QBW file for data issues.
Step 3: The Verify Results screen is displayed. Click Expand All to see the errors diagnosed by the tool. Next, click the See Online Articles link.
Step 4: If an error listed by the tool doesn’t have an article, contact Intuit support to get help to repair your QBW file.
Solution 4 – Use QuickBooks Repair Software
If the above solution fails, using a 3rd party QuickBooks company file repair tool may resolve the issue. Stellar Repair for QuickBooks® Software is one such tool you can rely upon to repair corrupt QBW file. The software helps repair the QBW file and data in a few simple clicks.
Data damage in QuickBooks Desktop Company File (QBW) may prevent the file from opening or result in errors while working on the QBW file. You can try repairing the company file using the QB built-in ‘Rebuild Data’ tool or the File Doctor tool. If these tools don’t help fix the company file data issues, manually repairing errors from the ‘Verify Results’ window may help. However, these solutions can work for minor data issues but fail to fix severe data damage in the QBW file. But, having the right QBW file repair tool at your disposal can help you handle all types of QB errors and data issues while saving your time and effort in manually troubleshooting the problem.
Fix QuickBooks Desktop Data Damage Error (A Quick User Guide)
Learn the causes and solutions of QuickBooks Desktop damage error
QuickBooks Accounting Software is used by hundreds of thousands of businesses for keeping data, assets and liabilities safe. But, there are times when, due to slight errors, the entire collection of data gets damaged or in brief, is unable to be processed. Now, QuickBooks Desktop which is one of the most popular accounting software also receives issues similar to this and it is known as QuickBooks Desktop Data Damage Error.
To ensure that all the users of QB desktop are able to fix this error without any loss of data, we are going to discuss the error, possible causes, and also step by step procedure to fix the data damage on your QuickBooks Desktop company file. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
Why data damage error occurs on your QuickBooks Desktop company file?
This error generally shows up when any QuickBooks company file is damaged and thus it is not processed by the software. Now, what happens is that without company the file being in access, the user will not be able to do any sort of work on the files and data which is previously stored in the system. This particular issue is hard to locate as it can be caused due to both internal factors as well as external factors.
What are the common types of Data damages in QuickBooks Desktop?
Following are the different types of data damages that a user might come across when they are facing the particular issue:
- Link Damage: In this case, the link between the transactions or simply the transactions themselves are damaged
- List Damage: In this case, the lists such as Items, Chart of Accounts, Vendors, Customers, and Employees might have been damaged
- Structural Damage: There are always a lot of tables and headers created to structure data which is stored in a proper manner. In the case of these headers or tables are damage, users have to diagnose the system for Structural data damage.
Top data damage errors in QuickBooks Desktop
Below we have created a list of top data damage errors that occurs in QuickBooks desktop. Also we have mentioned their corresponding data damage type and the transactions or modules affected:
|Title/Link||Damage Type||Transactions/Modules affected|
|Error -6000, -301: An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file||Structural||Networking|
|Error -6150, -1006||Structural||N/A|
|Error: QBWin.log: LVL_SEVERE_ERROR–GetDecryptedCreditCardNumber The decryption has failed||List||Encrypted Data in QB (CC, SSN, Accounts)|
|QBWin.log: Verify list. Duplicate name encountered||List||Lists|
|QBWin.log: LVL_ERROR–Error: Verify item history target quantity on order mismatch error||Transaction||Sales Orders|
|QBWin.log: Orphan payee found in Online cache||List||Online Services|
|QBWin.log: LVL_ERROR – Error: Verify Item History: Build txn target bad pending state. Item = nnnnn||List||Items, Inventory Adjustments, Builds|
|QBWin.log: LVL_ERROR — Error: Verify Online Account Information: Invalid Customer ID number||List||Online Banking, Customers|
|QBWin.log: LVL_ERROR-error: Verify Account List Item ###: View out of sequence||List||Chart of Accounts|
|QBWin.log: LVL_Error–Error: Verify Item: Invalid tax agency||List||Items|
|QBWin.log: Verify Target: Invalid Open Balance||Transaction||Any transaction|
Read this also: How to Fix Crash: Com Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
How can we fix the QuickBooks Desktop data damage problem?
As we mentioned earlier, we will be offering you all the step by step procedure which you can follow and fix the QuickBooks Desktop Data Damage error. Basically, in case of this error, in particular, it can be fixed using the simple Verify Data and Rebuild Data functions. So, here are some of the reasons why the use of these features is easy and can solve a lot of issues:
- It can fix discrepancies on reports, invoices or bills which have a negative value
- It can detect all the files which are missing a proper name
- This can help in the identification of all the fatal errors in the QuickBooks Desktop
- These functions can run a well-data checkup to ensure that the company file is free from any sort of damaged or error
- It can fix missing transactions as well as can detect the Balance sheet reports which are not available on all the accounts linked with the server.
Steps to verify data in QuickBooks Desktop
Step 1: Start with choosing the options Window and then select the option of Close All
Step 2: In order to verify data, head over to the File menu on the Menu bar and then click on Verify data which is under the Utility option
Step 3: once the data is verified, users will have to follow one of these two steps:
- If the message says, ‘QuickBooks Detected no problems with your data’ then no further action is required
- If the message says, ‘Your data has lost integrity’ then, in this case, the message indicates that the data damage is there in the file and users will need to follow the further steps to rebuild data.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15215?
Steps to Rebuild data in QuickBooks Desktop
Step 1: To rebuild data, head over to the File menu on the Menu bar and then click on Rebuild data which is under the Utility option
Step 2: Users will receive a warning message to back up the company file, Press OK. Here, select all the data which you will be requiring backup of. Once done, make the backup
Step 3: once the backup is created, the Rebuild data utility function will automatically start
Step 4: After the message ‘Rebuild has completed’ pops up, click on OK to complete the process
We have incorporated all the QuickBooks Desktop data damage error related details in this post and hope that you find it helpful. If the issue persists even after trying all the aforementioned troubleshooting steps, you can call our 24×7 QuickBooks support team at +1-888-300-3913 for advanced solutions.
Fix Data Damage on Your QuickBooks Desktop Company File
Learn how to resolve data damage on your QuickBooks company file
QuickBooks Data Damage is one of a chief problem that usually appears in software like QuickBooks. However, with some necessary manual troubleshooting steps, this problem can be resolved quickly to retrieve the data file/files. But it’s essential for you to understand the minor setup & arrangements that lead to QuickBooks data damage or company file corruption issues.
In this tech blog post, we help the users to resolve data damage and data corruption problems with the manual solution best of our knowledge. However, to save your efforts to follow the below given technical steps, you can contact to our QuickBooks enterprise support team at +1-888-300-3913.
Things to remember before proceeding:
- First of all, You need to ensure to run the rebuild and Verify Data Utilities on the same computer system.
- After this, the Rebuild utility will make a backup of that file.
- Now you can save the file anywhere you want.
Steps to Fix QuickBooks Company File Data Damages
Mainly there are two steps to resolve this problem. You can take help from your IT professional or contact our QuickBooks error support team in case you get stuck somewhere by following given steps.
Step 1: Run the Rebuild Data Utility
- Go to File menu, choose ‘Utilities > Rebuild Data‘
- Select ‘OK‘ button in the backup of the data of QuickBooks company file.
- (There are chances that your computer will show that QuickBooks is not responding. But if the cursor is moving, it means that Rebuild is going on. Let it complete.
- When Rebuild is complete, Select ‘OK‘.
Step 2: Run the Verify Data Utility
- Go to ‘File menu‘ and choose ‘Utilities > Verify Data‘
- Select ‘OK‘ if you get the message ‘QuickBooks detected no problem with your data‘.
- If there is an issue with the data, you will get the prompt ‘Rebuild Now‘ or ‘View Errors‘.
- Now, choose ‘Close‘ and perform the steps below:
Important Note: You can follow the steps below if you find yourself comfortable in reviewing the QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log file. If you are not comfortable you can contact our QuickBooks Customer care helpline.
- Find QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log files.
- Go to the ‘Tech Help‘ window if you are working with a support agent. Go to ‘Open File‘ tab, highlight the log file and select ‘Send log files‘ to Intuit Support. This will send the file as well as enable the agent to view the log files.
- Now, check the log file:
- For Mac: Scroll down to the most recent verify information
- For Windows: Search for start verify and locate the most recent file
- In the opened file, you need to search by pressing ‘Ctrl+F keys’ for the start ‘Verify‘.
- Now, find the line which is LVL_ERROR, and look for it in check QuickBooks Learn & Support Site. Also you can see that there is a data damage top LVL errors library.
Data damage troubleshooting for QuickBooks desktop Mac
If you are a QuickBooks Mac user then the below given steps will help you to resolve the data damage issues of QuickBooks:
Step 1: Re-Sort Files
Re-sorting the lists will help you putting your records back in order. In case you have changed the order of a list, resorting will do the needful.
Step 2: Identify Problem
- Go to ‘Reports menu‘, and select ‘Company & Financial‘ > ‘Balance Sheet Detail‘
- Now, select ‘Options‘, choose ‘Accrual or Cash‘.
- If you find that the total assets do not get equal with the liability and equity in all the reports, then you better determine the transaction which is causing the problem.
- Take a backup of the company file, ‘Delete and re-enter‘ the transaction
After this, compare the Account report totals to the balances on Chart of Accounts:
- Compare the open invoices to accounts receivable balance on the ‘Chart of Accounts‘.
- Compare the total in ‘Unpaid Bills report‘ to the ‘Accounts Payable balance‘ on the ‘Chart of Accounts‘
- Now, backup your company file, delete and re-enter the transactions or you can also modify the transaction.
Step 3: Check Specific Accounts
There are two specific accounts which include:
- Uncategorized Expenses:
- To balance the transaction, rebuild will put out-of-balance transactions in this account. You may also see voided checks in this account.
- Other than voided checks, you will also find the transactions. Now, again delete and re-enter the transactions.
- Undeposited Funds:
- Go to ‘Activities‘, select ‘Make Deposits‘ and then, select all. Make sure that the total amount is equal to the balance shown for ‘Undeposited Funds‘ on ‘Chart of Accounts‘. Also, ensure that there are no deposits showing on the deposit.
Step 4: Merge the Damaged Accounts/Items/Names
- Go to ‘Lists‘ and select ‘Chart of Accounts‘.
- In the control key, select the account that has been damaged. Click on ‘Edit Account‘.
- Make sure you put an asterisk (*) on the name of account.
- Then, click on ‘Cancel‘.
- While holding the ‘Control Key‘, select any account and click on ‘New Account‘.
- Choose the type and enter the original name of the account having problem.
- Click ‘OK‘.
- Hold the ‘Control key’ and select original account. Choose ‘Edit Account‘.
- Now remove the asterisk and select ‘OK‘.
- Click on ‘YES‘ as this will confirm that you desire to merge the accounts.
- To merge items and names, the same steps will be followed as the ones followed for merging accounts.
Step 5: Delete Customer Reports
- Go to ‘Reports menu‘ and click on ‘Report Center‘
- Select ‘Reports‘ you want to delete and click on name once.
- Select ‘Red X‘ and click on ‘OK‘ button.
Step 6: Delete Memorized Transactions
- Go to ‘Lists‘ and choose ‘Memorized transactions‘
- Go to ‘Edit menu‘ and choose ‘Delete memorized transactions‘
- Click on ‘OK‘ and the transactions will be deleted.
We hope that the above-prescribed information is helpful for you to get rid of the QuickBooks company file data damage problems.