QuickBooks helps register all the transactional reports and data between different companies. While upgrading a company file to QuickBooks, opening a company file from a network server or restoring a backup, you may encounter QuickBooks Error 6123. You may be unable to restore the backup. In this article, you may find a solution to the error encountered.
What is QuickBooks Error 6123 and How it is Caused?
Sometimes, when a user tries to restore QuickBooks company files from backup hard disk or opens a company file from the multi-network server. After that, an error message “QuickBooks Error 6123,0” is displayed on the screen.
QuickBooks error 6123 0 is caused due to:
- Restoring a company file from an external storage device.
- Disrupted network connection from the host server.
- Damaged QuickBooks Company data file.
- Firewall settings interrupting QuickBooks to open the company
- McAfee Antivirus service is installed on the computer. It interferes with QuickBooks Desktop Services.
- Damaged Windows.
Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6123
Download QuickBooks File Doctor
- Download and Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Then after, Browse the Company File.
- Select Check File Damage Only, then Diagnose File.
- Enter your Admin Password and then select OK.
- Afterwards, select Open File in Newer Version or Repair File in the existing version.
- Follow the remaining steps appearing on the screen.
- Reboot your computer.
Also Read: How To Resolve QuickBooks Update Error 1328?
Rename .ND and .TLG file
- Open the folder having the company file.
- Select the corresponding .ND file of your company.
- Right-click on the company file and select Rename.
- Rename .ND file to .ND.OLD.
- Similarly select .TLG file and Rename .TLG file.
- Rename .TLG file to .TLG.OLD.
- Now, Open your QuickBooks Company File.
Move Company File to a Different Location
If you are unable to open your QuickBooks company file, try moving it to a different location and open it. Furthermore, if you are using a server connection, try copying file on the computer you are using QuickBooks and open it.
Use the Auto Data Recovery Features
Restore the QuickBooks adr file copy of the file and see if it works. There is a slight chance that the file is corrupted and this might resolve QuickBooks error 6123 0 error.
Disable the Antivirus Programs
Sometimes, the antivirus program interferes with the company file and the user might not be able to open its QuickBooks company file. Disable the antivirus program and open the file. This might resolve the QuickBooks Error Code 6123 0.
- Firstly, uninstall the currently running QuickBooks from the Control Panel.
- Have your product and license information available.
- Next, download QuickBooks version you want to use in your computer or insert CD.
- Install QuickBooks following the normal procedure.
- Fill out your product and license information.
- Lastly, open the company file.
Create a New Window User
There might be a possibility that your current Windows User Login is corrupted.
- Open Control Panel.
- Select Create New User Option in User Icon.
- Select Administrator for user type.
- Log out of the existing
- Restart the computer. Login using new user credentials.
- Move the company file to the desktop.
- Finally, open QuickBooks and access the company file.
If you are still unable to understand how to fix QuickBooks Error 6123, it is advisable to contact QuickBooks ProAdvisor Support Number +1-888-300-3913 (available 24*7). They have a team of highly efficient technical advisors who are able to troubleshoot the issue.
While QuickBooks Desktop is one of the most reliable accounting software available in the market, many users face issues soon after installing the software on their system. A majority of these errors are related to QuickBooks data file or network setup particularly when the application is used in the multi-user mode. One such commonly faced issue is QuickBooks Error 6123, 0 that users observe while opening a company file mostly in the multi-user mode soon after updating to versions of QuickBooks. The issue is often also observed right after a backup. We will explore QuickBooks Error 6123,0 in detail along with the causes and solutions for the issue.
What Are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6123, 0?
QuickBooks Error 6123, 0 is generally a file related error seen usually in the multi-user mode. Below are some of the symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6123, 0
- Inability to connect with the server hosting the QuickBooks company file.
- Inability to open the QuickBooks company files.
- The computer becomes slow and unresponsive while you try to perform any other action.
If the issue is observed while an antivirus software like McAfee is running its scans, you might notice that the same QuickBooks files are being scanned and rescanned repeatedly.
What Causes QuickBooks Error 6123, 0?
There are several reasons why users might not be able to access the QuickBooks company file. Not being able to access the file does not necessarily mean that that the file is damaged, and the information is lost. Below are some reasons why users might not be able to access the file.
- Non-compatibility of the company file name with the naming conventions.
- Interference of third-party software like anti-virus application with the operation of QuickBooks.
- Network issues resulting in connection problems between the server and the client.
- Corruption while opening, restoring, upgrading or attempting to move company file to a different location.
- Lack of user access permissions while opening the file.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0?
The most likely cause of QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0 is incompatibility issues in versioning of various components. Ensure that both QuickBooks and Windows are on the latest versions before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps.
Step 1: Ensure that the company file is as per naming conventions
QuickBooks company file names should not exceed 30 characters. They should also not include special characters such as – ?,!, @ etc.
Trying to open the file in the accounting software can result in QuickBooks error 6123, 0.
- Right-click the company file and rename it as per the specifications.
- Rename the.ND and .TLG files by appending .old at the end of these files.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop again and check if the issue persists.
Ensure that the folder settings have been configured with the requisite permissions.
Step 2: Move the company file to a different location
This method is primarily applicable when users see QuickBooks Error 6123, 0 while accessing backups.
- Move the original file to a different location to confirm that the error is not because of the file path. Ideally, the default path should not result in the error.
- If the company file is being restored from a backup file (.qbb) file, ensure that it is on the hard drive and not an online folder or removable device.
- Restore the original company file after you create a portable copy (.qbm) rather than the backup file (.qbb) if the latter doesn’t work.
Step 3: Launch QuickFix my Program
If the issue with the files cannot be resolved by renaming it or moving it to another location, the problem could be with the contents of the file or network issues. Use the provisions in the QuickBooks Tools Hub to resolve the error message. The QuickFix my Program is used for resolving issues with the application.
- Choose Program Problems in the QuickBooks Tools Hub followed by QuickFix my Program.
- Re-open QuickBooks Desktop when the progress bar finishes.
Step 4: Launch File Doctor
If you want to repair the file in the existing version rather than restore the backup, the File Doctor might be able to automatically resolve the issue.
- Click on Company File Issues and start QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Choose the company file which throws the error while opening and click on Check your file before hitting Continue.
- Enter your admin password for QuickBooks and hit Continue.
Step 5: Resolve antivirus software and firewall issues
Antivirus software scan all files including the ones used by QuickBooks Desktop. QuickBooks unsigned .DLLs could be caught by the scanners of the anti-virus software. Perform the following steps to resolve the issue.
- Update the anti-virus software to the latest version.
- Add an exception to the files if your anti-virus software permits.
- Try rebooting your computer after making the changes either QuickBooks or the anti-virus software.
Additionally, some ports used by QuickBooks Desktop especially in the multi-user mode might be blocked by the firewall. Running the QuickBooks Database Server Manager will open the ports.
What to Do If QuickBooks Error 6123 0 Is Not Resolved?
If you are unable to fix QuickBooks Error 6123 0, you can contact QuickBooks support or data service team. While they will be able to you with QuickBooks related issues, the data service team, in particular, provides email assistance by default and has limited support hours. The alternative is to opt for QuickBooks hosting where QuickBooks Desktop is installed on the host’s server. This is a much more flexible and reliable method.
Not only can QuickBooks Desktop be accessed from any device but also the chances of such errors hampering operations are lower. As an Intuit authorized QuickBooks hosting service provider, Apps4Rent is one of the most trusted vendors. Our experts provide 24/7 assistance via phone, chat, and email. Contact us to know more.
5 Fixes for QuickBooks Error 6123, 0
The infamous QuickBooks Error 6123, 0 starts when a user tries to restore the backup of the company file. The error appears out of the blue without any prior indications and interrupts QuickBooks company file operations. There are certain factors and technical glitches responsible for QuickBooks Desktop error 6123 that can be resolved effortlessly by implementing the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article. Identifying the error causing reasons can save you a considerable amount of time, so we have also listed the most common reasons that provoke QuickBooks error message 6123, 0. Read out the entire tutorial for complete troubleshooting instructions.
What is QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0?
Once the error code 6123 is triggered in QuickBooks Desktop application, QuickBooks displays an error message “Error: -1623, 0 We’re Sorry, QuickBooks can’t open the company file.” Users are also instructed to follow the standard troubleshooting procedure to resolve company file errors that include running QuickBooks File Doctor and Updating QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Unfortunately, basic troubleshooting alone isn’t always enough to get rid of error codes like 6123, 0 and you will require to implement additional troubleshooting to get the issue fixed. The error description as it appears in QuickBooks is given below:
Problem Connecting to Server Error: -6123, 0 We’re sorry, but QuickBooks can’t open your company file. Here are a couple of ways to fix the problem: 1. Run the QuickBooks File Doctor. 2. Make sure your server is set up for the QuickBooks Database manager.
IMPORTANT: Before troubleshooting the error, make sure to Update QuickBooks and take a backup of your company file manually to a safe storage location to avoid data loss due to any mishap while troubleshooting .
What Causes QuickBooks Company File Error 6123, 0?
Following are the reasons responsible for provoking QuickBooks Desktop error 6123.
- Utilizing an outdated QuickBooks Desktop application is one of the prominent reasons QuickBooks displays error message 6123.
- Damaged QuickBooks company file not only triggers error 6123 in QuickBooks, but also accounts for several other 6000 series errors.
- If you are trying to restore the backup from an online storage service like Dropbox then also you might face error 6123 in QuickBooks.
- If QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not running on Windows.
NOTE: QuickBooks company file can only be accessed from QuickBooks Desktop application and if you try to open it using the Windows explorer by directly double-clicking the file, then QuickBooks will throw error code 6123. Make sure you are accessing the file from within the QuickBooks Desktop application.
Top Five Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Problem Connecting to Server Error:- 6123,0
Step 1: Run QuickBooks Desktop Update
QuickBooks Desktop if left outdated not only attract errors but is also responsible for degraded performance. Keeping your QuickBooks updated ensures that it is free from bugs and other issues that can negatively affect the end user experience. For complete information on updating QuickBooks Desktop to the latest released version, follow our article How to Update QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Released Version. If installing the updates did not help you resolve QuickBooks company file error 6123, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Step 2: Install and Run QuickBooks Tools Hub
As you might already be familiar with QuickBooks Tool Hub that it is a collection of different tools that can be used to rectify almost every error that QuickBooks encounters. Quick Fix My Program is a tool that is specifically developed to refresh QuickBooks installation and re-register the installation files that helps eliminate general company file and program errors like error 6123. Follow the instructions given below to download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub to run Quick Fix My Program Tool:
- Click HERE and download QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop application by selecting Exit from the File menu.
- Open the downloaded setup file QuickBooksToolsHub.exe from the download location.
- Follow the prompts on the installation wizard screen to complete the installation.
- Double-click the QuickBooks Tools Hub icon on your Desktop.
- Select Program Problems tab from the left pane and then click Quick Fix my Program.
- Once the program repairs the application, close the tool and run QuickBooks again.
- Try to take the backup of your company file and check if the issue is resolved.
If QuickBooks Desktop error code 6123 continues to bother you, then this indicates damage in the company file that can be resolved by running QuickBooks Desktop File Doctor. Follow the next step for detailed instructions.
Step 3: Download and Run QuickBooks File Doctor to Repair File Damage
For complete info on downloading and running QuickBooks File Doctor, follow our article How to Fix Damaged Company File or Network using QuickBooks File Doctor.
If you are able to access the company now, then the error is resolved. In case, if you are getting the same error while restoring the company file from an external storage device, then follow the next troubleshooting step for a quick fix.
Step 4: Restore the Backup from Local Storage
- Navigate to the QuickBooks backup file folder which is usually located inside the QuickBooks company file folder.
- Look for the file with .qbb extension having the same name as your company file.
- Copy the backup file to the local storage of your computer.
- Now open QuickBooks and restore the company file that you have moved to the local storage.
- In case QuickBooks Error 6123, 0 still persist, then this must be happening because of restoring the company file on a new computer. Follow the next troubleshooting step to get error 6123 fixed while restoring the company file on a new PC.
Step 5: Restore the Backup using the Portable Company File
Sometimes, due to security reasons QuickBooks only allow you to restore the company file on the same device where the backup file was created. If you are trying to restore the backup file .qbb on a new device other than the one where it was created, then you can get QuickBooks error 6123. The solution to get around this issue is to create a portable company file .qbm instead of the regular backup file .qbb. Follow the instructions given below to quickly rectify the issue:
- Open QuickBooks on the old device where you created the backup and click the File tab.
- Now select Create Copy and choose Create Portable Company File.
- Click Next and enter a name for the company file.
- Select the location where you want to save the company file and click Save and OK.
- Now move the portable company file to the new computer where you want to restore the backup.
- Open QuickBooks > Click the File tab > Select Restore a Portable File > Hit Next.
- Now browse the portable company file with .qbm extension and click Open.
- Carefully read the instructions given on the Where do you want to restore the file page.
- Finally click Next and click Save before opening the company file.
If you are still facing issues/difficulties resolving QuickBooks error 6123, 0, then contact our support team by giving us a call at +1-888-300-3913. Our support team will immediately look into the matter and will resolve it for you completely in the shortest time.
Easy Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error 6123, 0
QuickBooks Error 6123, 0 usually occur when you open a company file over a network or in multi-user mode, right after updating this company file to a newer version of QuickBooks. You may also get 6123, 0 error message, while you restore the backup.
To fix QuickBooks error 6123, 0, try below mentioned manual methods. Furthermore, you can also get the support from our certified QuickBooks Help team associates to save your time and effort.
As QuickBooks Error code 6123, 0 mainly occur in multi user environments, so you need to follow the available troubleshooting steps to eliminate this issue.
Whenever you use a QuickBooks company file over a network or establish connection over a network, then you may see one of the following errors:
- QuickBooks Error -6123, 0.
- Connection associated with the QuickBooks company file has been lost.
What are the reasons behind QuickBooks Error Code -6123, 0?
- You have a corrupt network connection with your host computer.
- Firewall software of the system is blocking a port that is significant to communicate with the server which is hosting the company file.
- Due to damaged .QBW files.
- Corrupt QB data or program files.
- QuickBooks database service is running on the several instances.
- Your installed antivirus is causing the trouble.
- Company file is accessed within the new version of QuickBooks at the same time.
- At the time of restoring a backup from a detachable storage device.
- Window user is damage.
These are the reasons which causing the QuickBooks Error 6123, 0 to arise.
Resolve error while upgrading/opening a company file
- To start with, you have to install and run the QuickBooks File Doctor within your system.
- Once the installation of QuickBooks file doctor is done, then open it.
- From the drop-down list, you need to check your company file.
- After that, mark check on the file damage only and then choose diagnose file.
- Now, you need to enter your admin password and then press ok.
- When you get a popup to upgrade your files to a newer version of QuickBooks, then you need to click on Open. It will automatically, repair and upgrade your company files to the latest version of QuickBooks. Else, if you select repair file in the existing version, then it will repair the company file devoid of upgrading it.
- You need to apply entire instructions in the file doctor, to finish repairing your data file.
If you are still encountering this issue even after using QuickBooks file doctor, then you can try rebooting your computer. After rebooting, the error is still there then, you need to follow the manual method to fix error 6123, 0.
Method to Fix QuickBooks Company File Error 6123, 0
For Single-user setup:
Go after the given instructions to manually fix the single-user settings
- Firstly, try renaming the .ND and .TLG file.
- Set folder settings or permissions to full access.
- You can also try moving company file to a different location.
- Make use of auto data recovery feature to fix your damaged files.
- At last, if nothing helps then create a new Windows user.
Steps for Multi-user setup:
- In this, you can also try renaming the .ND and .TLG file
- Set appropriate folder permissions that is, give them full access.
- Try moving your company file to another location
- Make sure firewall and antivirus ports are not causing the error.
- Switch or set your entire settings to Multi-user mode.
- At last, uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks.
Hopefully, above mentioned points are beneficial for you to resolve QuickBooks error code 6123, 0. In case, if you need further guidance, then contact QuickBooks Support Phone Number and make contact with ingenious professionals.
QuickBooks error 6123 – To Fix Error
QuickBooks error 6123 is an error. usually, occurs when QB users are trying to upgrade and open their QuickBooks file over network/multi-user mode. Here we mention a few steps to get rid of error 6123 and some precaution which helps you to do successfully work without facing errors.
QuickBooks is one of the best software for accounting work, known as multiuser software. you are operating the powerful software of Intuit. Especially designs to manage your accounting works easily in one place and you can excess your company data any device through Pc/window/mobile phone everywhere anytime. While working on QB rarely change to create the error.
To Fix QuickBooks error 6123 Quickly –
- After display error 6123 or error 6123, 0, you will have to disable antivirus setting for a few minutes then restart your computer and open the company file.
- Use QuickBooks tool hub or QB file Doctor(as given above)
- Don’t use a special character in the file name, rename the file with the extension such as .qbw or .nd or .tlg
- To fix error, place your company file to another location
- Use a new window user because the current windows may be corrupt so go in control panel then click on-> User->Create new user->user type “administrator”-> existing file log out and you should restart the computer then place the file on the desktop. After this, you can open and access your QB file.
The above solution is a short way to get rid of QuickBooks error 6123 or error 6123,0. In this article, users will get the right way to fix error 6123 in QuickBooks. If the above steps don’t fix then follow the below instructions.
But don’t worry about QuickBooks errors because intuit gives you the right way to solve the errors. Like in this article you will get the right solution to remove QuickBooks error 6123. First, need to know its causes and symptoms:
Causes of QuickBooks error 6123-
- Damaged some QB file and QB database files
- Place your QB company file from another device
- Windows may be damage.
- Network connection error
- Installed McAfee Antivirus and interference with QB desktop file.
- QB file name save with using special characters
- Not upgrade the new version of QB
- Active McAfee privacy service setting.
Symptoms of QuickBooks error 6123-
- QB error 6123, 0 display
- QuickBooks file does not open
- QB not response properly
- Current window corrupt
- The system stops for a few minutes.
QuickBooks error 6123,0 – Solution
Part (A)-Don’t use special characters for QuickBooks file name
- You need to check QuickBooks filename if there are special characters then change file name
Note:-(characters should be less than 30 without space)
Part (B)-Use QuickBooks Tool hub
By using QuickBooks tool hub you can resolve many errors that help you to save your time and stay happy in life without error. Intuit QuickBooks software is multiuser software. Rarely create some error while using QB don’t worry about these errors because of Intuit QuickBooks Tool Hub. download + install QB hub powerful tool.
- After downloaded save this file with extension QBtoolhub.exe
- Now fill all the screen instructions
- After complete the installation QB hub tool icon show on your desktop or where you save this hub.
Part (C)- Start QuickBooks tool hub
- QuickBooks error 6123 select in QuickBooks tool hub
- After it, click QuickFix my program then wait for processing it
- After some time processing will complete
Now, you can see QuickBooks error 6123 is fixed and you can continue your work.
If QuickBooks Error 6123 still appear on the computer then you need to complete just two-three steps like (D).
Part (D)-Repair QuickBooks company File
- To repair the QuickBooks file, Use QuickBooks file Doctor to repair QB file
Note:-Don’t worry about your data file because data will safe.
- Again open the QB tool Hub then selects your company file. If there is no your company file name then search your file in Browser write company file name.qbw
- Then, click on Check File and select Continue
- After then, you need to fill the QB admin password and click on Continue.
- Then QuickBooks file doctor will repair the QB company file and handle their error 6123 patient to remove this from your computer.
After completing the process of QB files repair by Intuit’s QuickBooks File Doctor error will fix. You can open the company file if QuickBooks error 6123 is shown again then only follow part (A) then part(E).
Part(E)– To Restore QB backup file
- Follow Restore QuickBooks backup file steps instruction to restore the QB company backup file .qbb
- Finally, After completing steps, QuickBooks error 6123 is removed. you can access your company file.
Restore QuickBooks Backup File.qbb – Steps to restore QB file
Don’t open the company files in online folders and removable storage only opens in the local hard disk.
Step 1: First, you should open QuickBooks then file menu
Step 2: Click open/Restore company then choose to Restore a backup copy
Step 3: After it, click on Next and then Local backup then enter Next.
Step 4: In the browser, the company file name should be with .qbb
Step 5: To restore files you need to select the folder to save files.
Note:– Don’t save the backup file on the same existing file, you should rename your backup file name.
Step 6: Now you a copy of your company file data as a new company file.
I hope the above solution help to solve QuickBooks error 6123 or error 6123, 0. We understand your problem, you manage accounting work on QB and face error it becomes stressable for you that’s why we discussed the solution to fix QB error 6123. After completing all the solutions parts this error never comes.
Resolve Quickbooks Error 6123 0 with Simple Solutions
QuickBooks error 6123 0 is one of the most common errors you encounter while working on QuickBooks. This error generally occurs while restoring the backup file, updating your company file, or configuring multi-user mode.
In this blog, we will discuss key reasons that lead to error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017 or other versions. Along with this, we will help you fix this error with the best methods. Here we go:
What Causes Error 6123 0 in QuickBooks 2018?
In QuickBooks, users can encounter the 6123 0 error code due to the following reasons:
- Company files are damaged.
- Corrupted Windows system.
- You restored company files from the external storage device.
- Interrupted network connection from your host server.
- Firewall settings are misconfigured.
- Antivirus programs can also cause errors.
- QuickBooks data files are damaged.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6123 0?
As stated earlier, users confront error 6123 0 in QuickBooks 2018 based on a number of conditions. In this blog, we will demonstrate what those conditions are and what solutions you can implement to rectify the error. Let’s know how to fix QuickBooks error 6123 0.
Condition 1: Updating the QuickBooks Company File
The first condition to view error 6123 in QuickBooks is when you open or update the company files. If this scenario occurs to you then you can perform a number of methods to solve this error.
For instance, you can use QuickBooks Tools Hub, remove special characters from the file name, repair company files, rename TLG/ND files, create a new user account for Windows, use the Quick Fix my Program tool, and more.
Method 1: Remove Special Characters from QBO File Name
QuickBooks allows you to keep 30 characters maximum in a QBO file name. Exceeding the limit of characters can cause problems while updating the company files. Hence, it is important to correct the format of the QBO file. For that do the following:
- Click right on the “QuickBooks Company File”.
- Then, click on the “Edit” button using the drop-down.
- Now, open the file in a preferred text editor.
- Select the “Find” option in a text editor.
- Highlight the unwanted characters such as “&” text remove it.
- Then, click on the “File” menu.
- Click the “Save” button.
After following these steps, you can close the edited file. Later, you can try updating the company file and verify if you see the error 6123 in QuickBooks.
Method 2: Download QuickBooks Tools Hub
To fix QuickBooks error 6123 0, it is suggested to download and install the QuickBooks Desktop Tool Hub on your Windows or Mac computer. Let’s know how you should install the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop if it is opened.
- Download the “QuickBooks Tool Hub File” on your computer.
- Store the “QuickBooks tool hub .exe file” in a specific location so that you can find it easily.
- Then, open the “QuickBooksToolHub.exe” file.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to agree to the conditions.
Once you download and install it successfully, you can launch it to perform. To do so, you just have to double-click the software icon. You can also use the Windows search bar to find the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Then, you can run the tool to troubleshoot errors in QuickBooks.
Method 3: Repair Company Files
Sometimes your QuickBooks company files get damaged due to which you cannot access or update the file. In such a scenario, you can repair the company file using the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
Note: You can download QuickBooks File Doctor Tool separately. However, if you have QuickBooks Tool Hub installed on your computer, you can use that too.
- Launch “QuickBooks Tools Hub”.
- Go to the “Company File Issues” section.
- Click on the “Run QuickBooks File Doctor” button.
- Then, hit the “Browse” button.
- Now, select the company file that you want to repair.
- Here, make sure that the “Check your file” button is selected.
- Then, hit the “Continue” button.
- After that, log in to the company file with admin rights.
- Hit the “Continue” button.
This way you can easily repair the QuickBooks company files. Once done with the procedure, try to access the company file. If you still are confronting issues with it then move to the next fixation method.
Method 4: Rename QuickBooks Files
By renaming the QuickBooks files such as ND, DSU, and TLG, you can easily fix error 6123 in QuickBooks. But before performing this method, make sure you close the QuickBooks desktop on all the devices.
- Open the QuickBooks company file on the server.
- Now, open the file with the extensions including the “TLG” or “ND” file.
- Then, click right on the “TLG” or “ND” file.
- Select the “Rename” option.
- Make sure you add “Old” at the end of the file name.
- Then, close the folder.
Doing so, the files such as ND” and TLG files will be created automatically when you access the company files. This way you can get rid of the error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017 error and access the company files.
Tip: Users should open the folder that contains QuickBooks company files and give full access including the QuickBooks Database Server Manager user.
Method 5: Create a New Windows User Account
Besides QuickBooks, Windows user accounts can also cause troubles. Especially if you have no admin rights. Hence, in this method, we will create a new Windows user account with administrative privileges.
- Open “Control Panel”.
- Click on the “User” icon.
- Select the “Create New User Choice”.
- Click on the “Administrator” as a user type.
After creating a new account, log out. Then, you can restart your PC and login to your Windows account using the new login credentials. Now, move the QuickBooks company files to the desktop. As the last step, you can launch QuickBooks and try accessing your company file.
Method 6: Quick Fix My Program
If you have issues with your program or viewing QuickBooks error 6123 0 then you should run the Quick Fix my Program tool. This is itself available in QuickBooks Tools Hub. Here is how to perform this. choose this component to fix the issues.
- Launch “QuickBooks Tool Hub”.
- Choose the “Program Problems” component from the left.
- Hit the “Quick Fix my program” button.
This process might take a minute to finish and repair the program. To verify the issue, you can launch QuickBooks and open company files.
Method 7: Restart Windows System in Safe Mode
By restarting your system in Safe Mode, you can recover a number of problems affecting your computer. To enter in Safe Mode, you can do the following:
- On your Windows 10 PC login screen, hold down the “Shift” key.
- Then, select the “Restart” in the “Shutdown” options.
- Now, you will see “Advanced Boot Options” on the startup screen.
- Choose “Troubleshoot”.
- Click on “Advanced Options”. This will display several advanced options.
- Select “Startup Settings”.
- Click on the “Restart” option.
- Once it restarts, you will see an active boot options list. Here, you need to use F4 to enable Safe Mode.
Entering in Safe Mode, your system will restrict the third party application to affect your QuickBooks software. Thereafter, you can open or update your QuickBooks company files.
Method 8: Disable Antivirus Programs
Third-party Antivirus programs often block certain actions due to which you encounter unwanted errors in QuickBooks. If you are a security program such as McAfee then you can disable the software temporarily. If disabling does not help then you can remove the software and try accessing your QuickBooks company files.
Method 9: Reinstall QuickBooks
Reinstalling the QuickBooks program, you can reset the settings and repair errors effortlessly. Hence, in this method, we will uninstall and reinstall the program by adding a license key.
- Open the “Control Panel” using the Windows search bar.
- Now, click on the “Uninstall a program” option.
- Go to the “Programs and Features” option.
- Then, hit the “Uninstall a Program” option.
Note: If you don’t see the Programs and Features then you can simply go to the Programs and choose the Program and Feature option.
- Now, click on the “QuickBooks” program from the list of all programs.
- Then, hit the “Uninstall/Change” button.
- Click on the “Remove” option.
- Hit the “Next” button.
Once the software is removed successfully, you can proceed with the QuickBooks reinstallation.
- Download the QuickBooks software based on the version of your operating system.
- Save the file “QuickBooks.exe.” on the preferred location.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Accept the “License Agreement” and hit the “Next” button.
- Now, add the “Product and License Key” you have noted down earlier.
- Hit the “Next” button.
When you successfully activate your QuickBooks account, you can open your company file. This should solve error 6123 0 in QuickBooks 2018.
Method 10: Restore Company File
By restoring the company file using the backup, you can fix error 6123 in QuickBooks. All you have to move your company backup file to the local hard drive. You should also make sure that you don’t remove the drive or open the file using the online storage folder. Restoring the company file can really help you to solve the error.
Method 11: Move Your Company File to Another Location
To identify if the problem is with the file path, you should try moving the company file to a different location. All you have to do is copy the file from its original location and paste it into a new folder. Here is how:
- Go to the folder where your company file is stored.
- Click right on the company file.
- Select the “Copy” option. Make sure you copy the file with the correct file extension (.QBW).
- Then, click right on the desktop screen to choose the “New Folder” option.
- Paste the copied file to the new folder you just created.
After changing the file location, you can try to open or update the company file from the new location. This will help you to access your files easily.
All these methods are quite helpful to resolve QuickBooks error 6123 0 when you fail to access your QuickBooks company file.
Condition 2: Restoring the Backup on a New Device
Another condition when you encounter the error 6123 in QuickBooks is when you restore the company file backup on another system. In such circumstances, you can implement effective methods such as create a portable company file to restore the company file or use the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool.
Method 1: Create Portable Company File
By creating a portable company file, you can restore your company file without facing errors. To do so, you can do the following:
- Launch “QuickBooks Program” on the same device that was used to take a backup of the company file.
- Now, open the original company file.
- Here, you can create a “Portable company file”.
- Once the portable file is created, launch “QuickBooks Desktop” on another device.
- Now, restore your company file with the portable copy of the company file.
Instead of using a backup file, if you use the portable file for restoring the company file, you will not encounter any error.
Method 2: Use QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool
Another method to restore your company files safely is to use the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool. Let’s know how to restore the .adr file.
- Make a new folder for “QBTest”.
- Open the folder that contains your company file.
- Now, locate “.tlg file” in the company file folder.
- Then copy the folder and paste it to the folder you created.
- After this, launch the “QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery” folder.
- Now, copy the “.QBW.adr file” and paste it into the new folder. Eventually, you have both “.tlg.file” and “QBW.adr” in the same folder.
- Open the new folder and click right on the “.QBW.adr file”.
- Select the “Rename” option.
- Now, remove the “.adr” specified at the end of the file name.
- Once done, launch the “QuickBooks Program” and open your “QB company file” which you have stored in the new folder.
- Then, verify if the transactions are available in your file.
- After that, verify the data by going to:
- Select the “Utilities” option.
- Go to the “Verify Data” button.
After following these steps, you can drag the corrupted file to a different location. This way, you can restore your company files without conflicting with errors.
Condition 3: Configuring the Multi-User Setup
There can be instances that you confront error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017 when you configure the multi-user setup.
To resolve this error, you can try renaming ND or TLG files, rescan the company files, configure Firewall & Antivirus ports, and adjust QuickBooks hosting settings.
Method 1: Rename TLG and ND Files
By changing the file name of QuickBooks files, you can easily resolve error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017. Here are the steps for that.
- Close all QuickBooks windows.
- Open the QuickBooks company file on the server.
- Now, open the file related to QuickBooks but the extension (file name at the end) should be “TLG” or “ND” file.
- Then, click right on the “TLG” file and go to the “Rename” option.
- Add “Old” at the end of your file name.
- Do the same for the ND file. After renaming the files, you can close the folder.
- Doing so, your “.ND” and “TLG” file will be created automatically when you access the company files.
By changing the name of your QB company files, you can easily get rid of the error 6123 in QuickBooks 2017.
Method 2: Re-scan Company Files in QuickBooks Database Server Manager
To proceed with this procedure, you are advised to stop the QBDBMgrN.exe file in the Task Manager. Also, restart your QuickBooks services using the service.msc command in the Run box. Once done, you can continue rescanning the company files in the following steps:
- Launch QuickBooks Database Server Manager”.
- Browse “QuickBooks company file” in order to scan.
Once the company file gets scanned successfully, you can close the windows and try accessing your company files.
Method 3: Add Firewall Ports Exceptions for QuickBooks
By configuring the firewall settings, you can easily resolve QuickBooks error 6123 0. All you have to create an inbound and outbound rule. Here are the steps for that:
- Press the “Start” button.
- Type “Windows Firewall” in the search bar to open it.
- In the “Advanced Settings”, click right on the “Inbound Rules”.
- Click on the “New Rule”.
- Now, click the “Next” button located under the “Programs”.
- Then, click on the “This Program Path”.
- Now, browse a file location for QuickBooks.
- Hit the “Next” button.
- Select the “Allow the Connection”.
- Hit the “Next” button
- Ensure that all the options are checked.
- Then, click “Next”.
- Enter the name for your new rule.
- Click the “Finish” button.
In the same way, you can create an outbound rule. Once you successfully add ports to your firewall settings, you can rectify errors easily.
Method 4: Switch to Single User Mode
Since you get QuickBooks error 6123 0 while configuring the multi-user mode so you can try to turn single-user mode. This can be done using these instructions:
- Open the company file.
- Click on the “File” menu.
- Select the “Switch Company File to Single User Mode” option.
- Now, go to the “File” menu again.
- Click on the “Utilities” option.
- Select “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
- Now, reactive it again by going to the “File” menu.
- Choose the “Utilities” option.
- Click on “Host Multi-User Access”.
- Hit the “Yes” button when prompted.
Once you perform these steps, you can switch to the multi-user mode again. This will quickly remove the error 6123 0 in QuickBooks 2018.
Apart from this, you can set full access to the folder and move your company file to another location if required.
In a Nutshell
Solving QuickBooks error 6123 0 is not tough. All you have to analyze on what condition this error is hopping on your screen. To be precise, we have talked about all the conditions depending on which this error can appear. Once you diagnose the cause, you can perform troubleshooting methods accordingly.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0?
Learn the best ways to troubleshoot QuickBooks error code 6123
QuickBooks is top-notch accounting software that has marked its presence in the accounting industry. With each passing day, more and more entrepreneurs are getting inclined towards incorporating this accounting software in order to carry out their day to day activities in a smooth manner. It is an undeniable fact that the QuickBooks has the ability to transform the way entrepreneurs carry out the accounting and bookkeeping activities, but at the same time it is an undeniable fact that the QuickBooks software at times get prone to certain errors. One such error that can be seen often is the QuickBooks error code 6123. This kind of error occurs when the user tries to open the company file. There are various other facts associated with this error code, which will be discussed later in this article.
Thus, it is recommended to go through this article carefully. However, a better alternative for the same can be to consult with a QuickBooks error support team with renowned experience.
Understand QuickBooks error code 6123, 0
As stated before, the QuickBooks error code 6123 is usually seen when the user makes an attempt to restore the backup of the company file. This error code pops up without any prior indication and hinders the company file activities. The user might also encounter the same error while opening a company file from the multi-user network. Or if the user opens up the file directly from the network or restoring the backup. The error message that appears with this error code states that “Problem connecting to Server”.
When you are opening a company file over a network or multi-user mode you may see the error -6123, 0 message on your computer screen
QuickBooks Error -6123, 0
Error 6123, 0: “Connection to the QuickBooks company file has been lost”
Error code 6123, 0 can be complicated to resolve for the users, so we recommend you to disable your antivirus and security programs before proceeding to the below given troubleshooting methods.
It should be noted that, in case you are using McAfee security software, then this might be the reason causing the issue in QuickBooks desktop. However, if the user is already aware that McAfee security software does not belong to Intuit, then it is recommended to consult McAfee or continue reading this article. Whereas, if the user is not using McAfee, then the steps discussed in this article might be of some help.
Factors leading to QuickBooks error code 6123
There can be multiple factors that might lead to QuickBooks error code 6123, 0, a few of which are mentioned below:
- Damaged windows can be one of the reasons for error code 6123, 0
- Another factor that might lead to this kind of error can be damaged company file
- If the user has restored the company file from an external storage device, it can also lead to QuickBooks error code 6123
- Disrupted network connection from the host server can be another valid reason
- Firewall settings interrupting the QuickBooks software while opening the company file
- Or, in case the antivirus program is installed on the system, which might hinder the smooth communication process
- QuickBooks data files or program files are corrupted or damaged
- Damaged Windows user and QBW files
Read Also: How to setup landed cost in QuickBooks?
Quick Fixes to the QuickBooks error code 6123, 0
Now that we have learnt the factors that might lead to this error code, it is time for us to find out what are the methods that can help us to get rid of the QuickBooks error code 6123, 0. We have jotted down a few of the most effective methods. So, without wasting much time, let us check out the rectification techniques one by one:
Condition 1: If you see Error 6123, 0 while opening or upgrading your company file
Follow the below given methods in above scenario:
Method 1: Renaming the company file or removing any special characters from the name
Many times, the issue is seen if the company file name has any special character in its name or the name exceeds the prescribed limit. Thus, the user needs to ensure that:
- The company file name should not exceed 30 characters
- And also, it should not contain any special character or space in its name
Method 2: Download and run QuickBooks Tools hub
- First of all, the user needs to close the QuickBooks accounting software
- And then, download the QuickBooks tools hub file. Once done with that, save the file somewhere the user can easily find it out.
- The next step in the process is to open the file that was downloaded in the above step.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to carry out the on-screen prompts, in order to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- The user is then required to double click the icon on the windows desktop to open the tool hub.
The point to be noted here is that, if the user is unable to spot the icon, it is recommended to do a search in Windows forQuickBooks Tool hub and then select the program.
Method 3: Using QuickBooks file doctor tool
QuickBooks file doctor tool can help the user in automatically scanning and rectifying the issue, especially when it comes to common QuickBooks desktop data issues.
- The user first needs to select the company file issues option in the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- And then, click on Run QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
- When the File doctor tool opens up, the user is recommended to select the company file from the drop down list. In case the user is unable to find it, then click on Browse option to search the system for the file i.e. [your company name].qbw.
- After that, the user needs to select the check your file only option and then hit Continue to diagnose file.
- The next step in the process is to enter the QuickBooks admin password, followed by hitting Continue. Once done with this, the QuickBooks file doctor tool will begin with the repairing process on its own, which might take some time.
- To end the process, the user needs to opt for the company file from the list and then click on the Open QuickBooks option.
It should be noted that if the file can be opened up without any issue, then the error is resolved. But make sure to backup the company file, after you have opened it up.
Read Also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 404?
Method 4: Running Quick Fix my program
For this method, the user is supposed to carry out the steps below:
- First of all, click on the Programs Problems option in the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- And then, select the Quick Fix my Program tab. It might take a minute to run. In case the user is having multiple versions of QuickBooks installed on the system, then it might take more than a minute to open up.
- When Quick Fix my Program is finished, the user needs to open QuickBooks and then verify the issue if fixed.
Method 5: Renaming the .ND and .TLG file
- To begin with, the user needs to open up the folder that contains the company file.
- And then, choose the corresponding .ND file.
- Once done with that, the user needs to right click the company file and hit the rename option.
- The next step is to rename .ND file to .ND.OLD.
- After that, select the .TLG file and rename it in the same way.
- Rename it to .TLG.OLD.
- And to end then process, make sure to open the QuickBooks company file.
Setting proper folder permissions
At times, the folder settings require to be set to full access. It depends on the windows settings and windows user login.
Method 6: Creating a new Window User
The probability of Windows user login being corrupted might be higher. Thus, in that case, the user can carry out the steps below:
- Firstly, open Control Panel.
- And then, click on the Create new user option in the User icon.
- The next step is to select the administrator for user type.
- Once done with that, the user needs to log out of the existing.
- Followed by rebooting the system, and then login using the new user credentials.
- Now, the user needs to move the company file to the desktop.
- And to end the process, open QuickBooks and access the company file.
Related article: How to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 6000 816?
Method 7: Restart your system in Safe Mode
- By restarting and using your system in safe mode will stop the all 3rd party applications to restrict QuickBooks desktop to run.
- You can also try to disable 3rd party security programs temporarily in safe mode.
Method 8: Disabling the system security programs
In case the user is making use of the McAfee security software, then it might cause the issue. Majority of the times, the antivirus program interferes the company file and consider them as malware. This might hinder the user from opening the company file. In such a situation, the user is required to disable the QuickBooks application and then open the company file.
Method 9: Re-installation of QuickBooks application
- The user is required to uninstall the current QuickBooks from the control panel tab
- And then, the user needs to download QuickBooks variant that you wish to utilize on the system or use the QuickBooks installation CD
- After that install the QuickBooks in the normal mode
- Followed by entering the product ID and license number at there
- After entering the credentials, the QuickBooks will be registered and activated to use
- Lastly, try opening the company file
Method 10: Moving company file to a different location
- In order to check if there is any issue with the file path, the user will have to move the file to a different location and open it from there, in order to check if it works in a proper manner.
- After that, the user needs to move to the folder where the company files are located
- Now, right click the company file and select copy
- Once done with that, the user will have to verify that you copy the right file with the extension .QBW
- The user needs to copy the file to the desktop, and then right click on the blank space, and then choose new and folder options respectively
- After that, the user needs to open that new folder and then paste there
- Towards the end, the user needs to open the QuickBooks and access the company file from the new location
Method 11: Restoring the company file
- The user is supposed to move the backup file to the local hard drive. And also avoid opening them from an online storage folder or remove the drive
- Also, the user will have to carry out the required steps to restore the company file from the backup
Condition 2: In case the Error 6123 is encountered while restoring a backup (.qbb) on a new system
Method 1: Create a portable company file (.qbm) to restore your company file
In such situation, the user is recommended to create a portable company file. Then, the user is required to use it to restore the company file. The steps to be followed in this method are as follows:
- The first step is to open the QuickBooks desktop on the same system, which was used to create the backup company file.
- After that, open the original company file.
- The next step is to create a portable file of the company file.
- Once done with that, the user needs to open the QuickBooks desktop on the new system.
- The last step in the process is to restore the company file using the portable copy, rather than using the backup file.
Method 2: Use the QuickBooks auto data recovery
You can restore your company file using the auto data recovery function. Restore your .adr copy of this file and check it works or not. Most probably chances that this error can be resolved using this method. Click here to get the procedure of using QuickBooks auto data recovery.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code C=343?
Condition 3: Manually configuring multi-user setup
If you making use of multi-user in QuickBooks, then you can configure its settings using the steps listed below:
Step 1: Renaming .ND and .TLG files
- At first, the user is supposed to open the folder to the company file
- And then, select the .ND file of the company file
- Now, right click the .ND file and them click on rename option
- The next step is to add .old at the end of the file name
- Once done with that, the user will have to repeat the same steps for .TLG file
- The user is then required to open QuickBooks desktop company file
- Moving ahead, the user is supposed to re-scan the company file making use of database server manager
- For this, the user needs to first stop the database server process
- In case of windows 10 & 8
- The user should press windows key and then type in task manager
- And then, click on the task manager and then click on More details
- Once done with that, the user should select the details tab
- The next step is to locate the QBDBMgrN.exe and also right click the same.
- The user is then required to select end task
- Moreover, the user is required to repeat the same steps until all the instances of QBDBMgrN.exe have been stopped
- The last step is to close the task manager
- For Windows 7
- In case you are using Windows 7, then in that case, we suggest you to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete
- And then, select task manager
- Followed by, clicking on the image name column heading from the processes tab
- Also, right click the QBDBMgrN.exe and click on end task
- In this case also, the user is required to repeat the steps to stop all instances of QBDBMgrN.exe
- And also, close the task manager
- Restarting the QuickBooks services
- Here, the user is supposed to press windows + R keys, in order to open the run window
- Once done with that, the user needs to type service.msc and then press enter tab
- Now, the user needs to select the name column heading to sort the entries alphabetically from the services window
- Moving ahead, the user needs to right click on the convenient service for QuickBooks desktop version and the choose start tab
- QB Desktop 2020 or QBS Enterprise 20.0: QuickBooks DB30
- QB Desktop 2019 or QBD Enterprise 19.0: QuickBooksDB29
- QBD 2018 or QBD Enterprise 18.0: QuickBooksDB28
- QBD 2017 or QB desktop enterprise 17.0: QuickBooksDB27
- QB desktop 2016 or QB Desktop Enterprise 16.0: QuickBooksDB26
- The last step is to close services
- Re-scanning company files
- The user is required to open QuickBooks database server manager
- And, to scan, the user needs to browse for the location of the QuickBooks company file
- Also, close QuickBooks QuickBooks database server manager
- The last step is to open the company file
Step 2: Setting up proper folder permissions
It should be noted that, the folder contains the QuickBooks desktop company file is present on the host system. Moreover, all the users must be provided full control, this includes the QuickBooks database server manager user.
Step 3: Moving the company file a different location
In order to see whether there is any issue with the file path, the user can move the file to the different location, then open it from that location to check if it works.
Step 4: Checking firewall & Antivirus ports
At times, the firewall and antivirus programs might block the program from accessing the company file. The user can check configure firewall and internet security settings for QuickBooks desktop to further prompts.
Step 5: Toggle Hosting settings in QuickBooks
- At first, the user needs to open the company file
- And then select the file > and choose switch to single-user mode
- Once done with that, select the file > utilities and also select stop hosting multi-user access
- The user is then required select file > utilities > choose host multi-user access
- At last, the user needs to select the file and also go for switch to multi-user mode
Fixing QuickBooks error code 6123 doesn’t involve any rocket science. Carrying out the simple procedures listed above can help the users in getting rid of the issue. However, if none of the methods worked in your favor, and if the error code 6123 continues to trouble you, then in that case, feel free to speak to our QuickBooks enterprise support professionals team.
Discuss your issue with our technical support team by dialing +1-888-300-3913 and let our team handle the issue for you. Our team of experts and certified accounting professionals will be always there to assist you, whenever you will need us.