QuickBooks error 12031 occurs while updating QuickBooks or updating QuickBooks payroll service. This error happens because of the network timeout that restricts QuickBooks from accessing the server. Additionally, you will encounter this error because of the firewall or some other security issues.
Error 12031 QuickBooks is a common error that needs an immediate and correct solution. In this article, we will discuss everything about this error and what are the top-recommended solutions for it.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 12031
Multiple causes can lead to QuickBooks Error code 12031 and it is necessary to figure out which one is causing the error to your QuickBooks. Below given is the ‘causes list’ that will guide you check which areas to look into for correcting QuickBooks error 12031.
- Issues with Internet Connectivity
- Network Timeout – this prevents QuickBooks from accessing the server
- The Firewall, Anti-virus software or Internet security hindering updates
- Issues with the default browser option
- Invalid SSL Settings.
Now we know the causes for QB Error code 12031, the next question is to resolve them. We will enumerate four easy solutions to rectify these issues. It is important to follow the solution as guided below.
Solutions to fix QuickBooks Update Error 12031
Below provided are the four solutions that will resolve QuickBooks Error 12031 and will restore your workflow.
- First Click ‘Help’
- Next, Click Internet connections setup
- Click option ‘Use my computer’s internet connection settings to create a connection when the app accesses the internet.’
- Click NEXT, and then press ‘’
Now update again
- For QuickBooks 2008 and later versions- select < strong> Help, click ‘Update QuickBooks’ and, Update Now
- For 2006 and earlier versions- Select File and click ‘Update QuickBooks’ and Choose ‘Update now.’
- Firstly, click <strong> Update now </strong> tab.
- Select ‘Reset Update checkbox’ click ‘Get updates’ option
If the program update doesn’t work then:
- Check the internet connection
- Check to configure internet security & personal firewall applications for QuickBooks Updates
- Start Microsoft Windows in the ‘safe mode’ & download it again.
- Open the menu for ‘internet Connection setup’ available in QuickBooks
- Click on ‘Internet Properties’
- You can see several tabs in ‘internet properties’
- From the available selections- click ‘Advanced’ tab
- Ensure that the advanced setting matches
- Click the ‘Apply’ button
- Click ‘OK,’ and you need to close the window
- In the end, Close QuickBooks and open it again and try the Payroll Update process again.
- Close QuickBooks
- Click Internet Explorer
- Click on ‘Tools’ and Click ‘internet options’.
- Select ‘Security tab’ and click ‘Globe icon.’ ( Ensure that security setting for this zone is up to Medium High only and not higher than that)
- Click the ‘Content’ tab and ensure that the content advisor button says ‘’
- Press Button, if that says ‘Disable’ then enter the password and then disable the content advisor.
- Click on ‘Connections Tab’ and perform the below-given steps:
- Select ‘never dial a connection option’ ( this is when you do not use the dial-up node(DUN) on the system)
- Use the dial-up node (DUN) and ensure that the correct ISP is selected
- Now click OK
- On the bottom of the tab Press ‘LAN SETTINGS’ button
- Ensure that ‘automatically detect settings’ option is checked.
- Verify ‘Use a Proxy server Checkbox’ is clear
- When there is a checkmark done, then Use Proxy server’. Also, document the complete address & port.
- If the port is other than port 80, then Do not Uncheck ‘Use a Proxy’. Moreover, use the Proxy box for testing purposes. If the port is ‘Port 80’, then you can Uncheck.
- On the LAN Settings, Select OK
- Now select the ‘Advanced ’
- Click ‘Restore Advanced Settings ’
- In the settings, Scroll down to find ‘use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1 & Use QuickBooks TLS 1.2 options( these options might not be available in the IE version)
- Ensure that ‘Use TLS 1.0 is checked’ and ‘Use TLS 1.2 is not ’
- Click OK & close the Internet Options window
- Close Internet Explorer & Restart your computer
- Now open QuickBooks and try to Update again and check if the problem is rectified.
Thanks for reading this blog. It is comprehensive and elaborate at every step. Hopefully, one of the solutions has already solved your problem, and QuickBooks error 12031 is not there anymore. If you could not follow any step in the above-provided solutions and need further information, then directly seek technical assistance. You can call at QuickBooks Software Error Support Number +1-888-300-3913 to get the concern solved within minutes.
How to Fix Payroll Update Error 12031 in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks error 12031 is a daunting error code related to -12000 error code series, which indicates that a user is having some trouble while updating QuickBooks software or Payroll service for the program. The error mainly occurs due to multi-faceted connectivity issues that prevent QuickBooks from communicating to the Intuit’s server. It can be your Firewall blocking the program for some security causes. This blog is an all-inclusive guide on how to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 12031, covering the possible causes of the error.
What Promotes Error 12031 In QuickBooks?
QuickBooks error message 12031 appears on the screen, mainly due to various connectivity issues. To get an update, QuickBooks needs to communicate with the Intuit server. Due to any reason, if it fails in connecting with the server, you will see error code 12031 on your screen, stopping an on-going update process. Below are some primary causes that can trigger the error while updating QuickBooks software or QB Payroll service:
- Internet connectivity issues are one of the most common reasons behind the error: 12031 that can be fixed easily.
- Lost Internet packet or the network timeout can also cause trouble in the software update
- Sometimes your Firewall considers QuickBooks as a security threat and blocks it from communicating with the server
- Invalid SSL Settings is another possible reason for the update error
- Make sure that Internet Explorer is your default browser, or your QuickBooks can become prone to the QuickBooks Payroll update error 12031
IMPORTANT: Before going with the troubleshooting steps make sure to Install the Latest Updates of QuickBooks Desktop.
How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Update Error 12031?
To fix the QuickBooks connectivity error 12031, you need to troubleshoot the possible causes of the error one after the other. The below-described solutions can help you to put your efforts in the right direction. Let’s begin:
Solution 1: Check Internet Connectivity
In this method, you can specify how you want to connect to the Internet. Follow these steps:
- From the Help menu in QuickBooks, select Internet Connection Setup
- In the new Window, mark the radio button for “Use my computer’s Internet connection settings option
- Hit Next and then click the Done button to finish the procedure
Now try to update QuickBooks again to check if QuickBooks error 12031 is fixed or not.
Solution 2: Fix Error While Updating QuickBooks Payroll Service
If you are getting QuickBooks error 12031 while updating QuickBooks payroll service, then you have to follow the below-given set of steps:
- Open Internet Connection Setup and then select Internet Properties
- Choose the Advanced tab to proceed further
- After ensuring that the advanced settings matches, hit Apply
- Click OK to finish and close the Window
Once you are done, Restart QuickBooks and perform the update process again for the QuickBooks Payroll service. If the procedure brings no luck, try the next solution to eliminate Intuit QB error code 12031.
Solution 3: Exempt QuickBooks from Firewall Blocking
If the Firewall is blocking QuickBooks ports required to communicate with the server, then you need to change the Firewall permissions for the QuickBooks. To do so, you need to remove QuickBooks from Firewall’s blocked program list. The below-given steps can help:
- Click Start icon on your Desktop and then type Firewall in the blank area
- Click Windows Firewall on locating and move further
- Now click Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall (or, Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall for Windows 10)
- When the next screen appears, click Change Settings,
- Now check mark the box for QuickBooks to allow it through the Windows Firewall
If QuickBooks Desktop update error 12031 persists, then jump to the next solution.
Solution 4: Get Update in Windows Safe Mode
When third-party applications start interfering with QuickBooks update process, then you need to download QuickBooks in safe mode to avoid undesired interventions.
- In the first place, open your computer in the Safe Mode
- Try to download QuickBooks update
- If you can download the update, Restart your system in Normal mode and download QB update again
Need Help With Troubleshooting!
If you want a helping hand that can assist you with each step of the troubleshooting and answer your queries related to a technical difficulty, then dial our QuickBooks error customer support number +1-888-300-3913. Our Pro-technicians will guide you with the most relevant solution to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 12031.
QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12031
Best Way To Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12031
QuickBooks business accounting software is an amalgamation of powerful features, tools and modules. The exceptional functionalities automize the regular accounting and financial tasks involved in businesses in order to save time and money. This helps to focus on other business priorities that help the business to grow.
Intuit releases software updates in regular intervals that improves the functioning of existing features and enhances the software with new potential features. Similarly, for QuickBooks Payroll software Intuit releases update to the Payroll subscribers.
The payroll updates comprise of the latest rates and calculations for a related state and federal tax tables, payroll tax forms, e-filing, payment options etc. Some of the tax form updates also involve Standard and Enhanced payroll users.
Receiving payroll update is imperative to ensure that you are in compliance with legislation that affects your payroll. You need to check that the Automatic Updates option is turned on. Although the QuickBooks payroll update is an automatic process there are unexpected scenarios error occurs. QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12031 is one of them.
QuickBooks Payroll Error Code 12031
Error Code 12031 is identified as one of the QuickBooks error that occurs while updating QuickBooks payroll service. There are possible reasons for the occurrence of the error code.
Reasons Behind The Payroll Error Code 12031
- Poor internet connectivity
- Internet Security & firewall update blocking the connection
- Improper SSL settings
- Internet Explorer not being the default browser
- Network time out hindering access to the server
When you encounter this error you need to follow the resolution steps to fix the issue. It is very important to identify the exact cause of occurrence of the error that helps in fixing up the error quickly.
How To Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12031?
1. Method One:
In case the error occurs while updating QuickBooks software follow the below steps to fix the issue:
- Verify internet connection settings Help -> Internet Connection Set up
- Click Next
- Click on option Done
- Re-try Update process
2. Method Two:
If the error occurs while updating QuickBooks Payroll Service, then follow the steps recommended below:
- Go to Help-> Internet Connection Set up to verify proper internet settings
- Once verified Click Next
- Click on Advanced Connection Settings -> Internet Properties Window
- On the Advanced tab, verify that Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 are checked thoroughly
- Click Apply -> OK
- Close the QB application and restart again
- Try to Update QuickBooks payroll service
1. Method Three: Update The QuickBooks In The Safe Mode
- You have to restart your system to get in the safe mode while restarting
- Now download the updates of QuickBooks properly
- Then you have to start your system in the Normal Mode
- Download the update again in the normal mode and then install it in your system
- After successful installation, you have to use it
- Check for the issues if you get any or not.
4. Method Four: Set The Firewall Permissions For QuickBooks
- Go to the Start menu and then in the search field
- Type Firewall and search for it
- Click and open the Windows Firewall or you can also search it in your Windows Settings
- Then click on the allow an application or program to run through the Windows firewall
- You get a window open for the settings; in this, you have to change the settings
- Now select the box to allow the QuickBooks to run through the firewall
- After this, you can easily run the QuickBooks software without any interruptions.
If the error is occurring due to the security software blocking or firewall settings you need to contact QuickBooks customer support. The support team is well experienced and capable of fixing the error smoothly occurring in all the different scenarios. The QB expert team is easily approachable by the toll free phone support number, email and even online chat for instant support.
How to Resolve QuickBooks Update Error Code 12031
QuickBooks is one of the finest accounting software in the market. It comes with some great features and functionalities. The only drawback of the QuickBooks software is the errors that it brings in. Today, we will be discussing the payroll update error 12031, its causes, and its fixes. This article is an all-inclusive guide on the processes to troubleshoot QuickBooks update error 12031, covering all possible causes of the error. Thus, if you are also facing such an error, then read this article carefully, and unleash the causes and fixes of the QuickBooks error 12031.
However, if you are seeking for technical assistance, then contact our certified QuickBooks pro technical support professionals right away at our toll-free support number i.e. +1-888-300-3913. We are a hub of technically sound accounting professionals, who work round the clock to provide the best possible support services. Do not hesitate in calling us anytime, we will be happy to help you.
What is QuickBooks error code 12031?
QuickBooks update error 12031 might happen when a client in QuickBooks makes an attempt to refresh the QuickBooks or when refreshing a QuickBooks payroll service. This error usually occurs due to network timeout that restricts QuickBooks from accessing the server. Moreover, the user also encounters this due to firewall or some other security issues. This is common error that demands instant solution. When the error message appears on the screen, the user needs to check the network connection and anti-virus settings, the user needs to check if the issue is resolved. For more information, make sure to read the post carefully.
Causes of QuickBooks update error 12031
Before you unleash the fixations of the QuickBooks error 12031, it is better to understand the causes of this error. Let us have a look:
- Internet connection: One of the major causes of this error can be the internet connection. Many times, the internet works on alternate connections, and this stops proper software working and leads to such an error
- The network timeout: In case the server is taking too long to respond on a particular command and then causes of the software to stop responding
- Internet or firewall security settings: Many times, the internet or firewall security settings blocks connection or pages required for the software to download an update
- Default Browser: In case the internet explorer is not set as the default browser, then this might restrict the software functioning properly and causes errors.
Methods to fix the QuickBooks payroll update error 12031
Now that you know all facts related to this error, it is the right time to learn the fixations measures for this error. Let us check out each of the methods one by one:
- The very first step is to open the menu for internet connection setup available in QuickBooks
- And then, click on Internet properties
- After this, the user will see various tabs in the internet properties
- Now, from the available selections, the user needs to click on advanced tab
- The next step is to ensure that the advanced setting matches
- Followed by clicking on apply tab
- And then click on OK button and also close the window
- The last step is to close QuickBooks and then open it again and then try the payroll update process again
- In this particular method, the user needs to close QuickBooks
- After that click on internet explorer
- And then, click on tools and then click on internet options
- The next step is to click on security tab and also click on globe icon. The user needs to ensure that the security setting for this zone is up to medium high only and not higher than that
- Moving ahead, click on the content tab and then ensure that the content advisor tab
- Now, press the tab, in case it says disable and then enter the password and then disable the content advisor
- The user will then have to click on the connections tab and then carry out the steps below:
- Now, choose never dial a connection option
- And then use the dial up node and then ensure that the correct ISP is selected
- The next step is to click on OK
- And also, press LAN settings
- Also, ensure that automatically detect settings option is checked
- And then verify use a proxy server checkbox is clear
- Moving ahead, when there is a checkmark done, then use the proxy server. Also, document the complete address and port
- In case the port is other than port 80, then do not uncheck use a proxy. And, also use the proxy box for testing purposes. In case the port is Port 80, then you can uncheck
- And also, on the LAN settings and hit OK
- After that select the advanced
- The user needs to click on restore advanced settings
- And also, in the settings, scroll down to find the USE TLS 1.0, USE 1.1, and USE QuickBooks TLS 1.2 options
- Also, ensure that USE TLS 1.0 is checked and also USE TLS 1.2 is not
- The user is then required to click on OK and close the internet options window
- And also, close Internet explorer and reboot the system
- The last step is to open QuickBooks and try to update again and check if the issue is resolved
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 12007?
- In this particular method, the user needs to firstly click on update now tab
- And then, select the reset update checkbox and then click on get updates option
In case the program update doesn’t work, then the below steps should be followed:
- The very first step is to check the internet connection
- And then check to configure the internet security and then personal firewall applications for QuickBooks updates
- The last step is to start Microsoft windows in the safe mode and also download it again.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 3371?
- This is the last method, where the user needs to click on help
- And then, click on the internet connections setup
- The next step is to click on option “Use my computer’s internet connection settings to create a connection when the app accesses the internet”
- After that click on next and then hit OK
Now update again
- If you are using the QuickBooks 2008 and later version, then you need to select Help, and then click on update QuickBooks and also update now
- Or if you are having QuickBooks 2006 and earlier version, then you need to select file and then click on update QuickBooks and also select update now tab.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 15222?
Carrying out the above steps can be of great help in getting rid of the QuickBooks error 12031. However, if the error is still annoying you, or if you are having any query, then getting in touch with a professional is recommended.
You can consult to our QuickBooks support team and certified ProAdvisors, and they will help you in dealing with the error without any mess. You can call us at our toll-free support number i.e. +1-888-300-3913, and leave the rest on our experts.
How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Error Code 12031?
It is quite evident that QuickBooks is the foremost & premium accounting online payroll management software used in millions of business entities of the wide range of size, all around the world. This famous software is much more renowned for its advantageous benefits such as generating the invoice, payroll, scheduling payments, accounting & bookkeeping. In this article, we will let you know the complete insight of the QuickBooks error Code 12031 and it’s causes.
It happens that time-to-time being a QuickBooks user, you will face error codes related to QuickBooks installation, updates, integration, or data recovery. Well, by applying the apt solution for these errors – you can solve these QuickBooks error code immediately.
Below we are going to discuss more on QuickBooks Update Error 12031 to ensure that you can resolve this issue swiftly by yourself.
What is QuickBooks Error Code 12031?
The QB Update Error 12031 usually occurs when the QB users try an attempt to refresh the QuickBooks software or while refreshing the QuickBooks payroll services. This frustrating and dire QuickBooks error caused when the network timeout, it put the QB users in hassle while operating the QuickBooks software.
QuickBooks Update Error 12031 generally happens while the firewall & other system security software are highlighted in trouble due to the improper or incorrect configuration.
Important Note: It is highly recommended that being a QB user – you first need to verify the configuration of the PC as well firewall. If in case, the configuration is blocking the access or identifying the QuickBooks as a threat to the computer. The QB users supposed to reconfigure it as soon as possible.
Causes Behind to QuickBooks Error 12031
Check out the list of causes due to which QuickBooks Update Error 12031 occurs.
- Internet Connectivity Problem.
- When the Internet Explorer is not set as the default browser.
- The antivirus (security software) & firewall setting is blocking the path of connection due to the incorrect/improper configuration.
- The SSL setting is improper or incorrect.
Solution for QuickBooks Error Code 12031
Check out the list of methods with which you can easily fix the QuickBooks error code 12031.
- First of all you need to Hit a click on the Help tab
- Then Select the Internet Connection Setup.
- Now Select the “Use my computer’s Internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application accesses the Internet”.
- Select the “Next” and then, “Done” button
- Try the update process again:
- QuickBooks 2008 & later: Go to “Help” => “Update QuickBooks” => “Update Now”.
- QuickBooks 2006 & earlier: Go to “File” => “Update QuickBooks” => “Update Now”.
- Select the “Update Now” tab
- Choose the “Reset Update” Later, select the “Get Updates” tab.
- Probably, the QB program still not works. In that case, you just have to simply check the following elements:
- Internet connection & troubleshooting instruction for payroll errors.
- Internet security & firewall setting.
- In the QuickBooks, open the “Internet Connection Setup” option
- Choose the “Internet Properties”.
- Choose the “Advanced” tab in the drop-down option of Internet properties.
- Make sure that the advanced setting is same as you want.
- Finally, hit the “Apply” and “OK” button.
- Close or shutdown the QuickBooks application.
- Choose the Internet Explorer browser.
- Select the “Tools” and then, choose the “Internet Options”.
- Choose the “Security” tab => “Globe” icon => “Content” tab
Note: Ensure that the content advisor says Enable.
- If the content advisor says “Disable“, then type in the password & disable “content advisor“.
- Perform the following steps by choosing the “Connections” tab:
- While not using the dial-up-node (DUN) on the system – it is recommended for you to choose the “Never Dial a Connection option” tab.
- Ensure that the correct “ISP” is selected.
- Click the “OK” button.
- Choose the “LAN SETTINGS” tab at the bottom.
- Ensure that the “automatically detect setting” box is checked.
- Make sure that the “Use a Proxy Server” box is clear.
- Click “OK” on the “LAN settings display“
- Select the “Advanced” tab
- Choose the “Restore Advanced Settings”
- In the “Settings” option, locate the “Use TLS 1.0”, “Use TLS 1.1” & “Use TLS 1.2” option
- Ensure that the “Use TLS 1.0” is checked.
- Ensure that the “Use TLS 1.1” & “Use TLS 1.2” is unchecked.
- Close or shut down the Internet Options window and then, select the “OK” tab
- Close the Internet Explorer & Restart the computer.
- Hit the QuickBooks software icon the desktop and turn it on. Once again try to update the QB to verify if the error still persists or not.
We understand the situation when the users face QuickBooks error code 12031 while using the QuickBooks software. To deliver the best solution to the issues such as QB installation, QB updates, QB integration, QB data recovery, and QB errors – we suggest you take help from our certified professionals. We, Host Docket provide QuickBooks technical support services globally…!
In case of emergency or quick support for the QuickBooks, you can get in touch with us at their toll-free helpline number i.e. +1-888-300-3913.