Did you encounter errors in your files while doing payroll? Well, don’t worry. In recent times, QB users have reported the occurrence of QuickBooks Error The file exists while updating payroll, paying scheduled liabilities, or opening state or federal forms. When it occurs, an error message appears on your screen stating:
You surely would be looking for the reasons that result in issues like the file exist error in QuickBooks. Well, it’s just not restricted to one. There are numerous of them. To make it easy for you, we have listed all such possible causes ahead in this blog.
Main Reasons Behind QuickBooks Desktop Windows Error The File Exists
Several reasons such as the file that QuickBooks requires to complete the request is in use by some other application or is read erroneously by QuickBooks can result in QuickBooks desktop windows error the file exists. However, the other reasons responsible for evoking QuickBooks error the file exists are listed below:
- Outdated QuickBooks Desktop application results in the file exist error in QuickBooks.
- The user account is not having the required administrative rights on Windows.
- You might not be having a stable internet connection.
- Normal QuickBooks functioning is restricted by Windows User Account Control settings.
- You must have come across issues while installing the QuickBooks application.
- Another reason behind QuickBooks error “the file exists” is faulty Firewall and Internet security settings.
How To Fix QuickBooks “The File Exists” Error?
After getting aware of all the possible reasons that result in QuickBooks “The File Exists” Error, you must try resolving it by following the below-listed troubleshooting solutions:
Solution 1: Run QuickBooks Application as Administrator
- Click on the Windows icon and type QuickBooks in the search space.
- The search results would be visible in the Search window.
- Now, Right-click on the QuickBooks version and year that you want to open.
- Then, click on Run as administrator.
- Now, run the payroll update.
- Once complete, close the QuickBooks application and open it normally.
Solution 2: Update Windows Permissions
- Click on the Windows icon and type File Explorer in the search space.
- Then, open File Explorer and search for your QuickBooks program file. It will appear like this:
|Processor Type||File Path for QBW32.EXE|
|32-bit||C:\program files\intuit\quickbooks (year)|
|64-bit||C:\program files x86\intuit\quickbooks (year)|
- Right-click your QuickBooks program (QBW32.EXE) file and select the Properties option.
- Further, click on Security followed by Edit and Add.
- In the window, type in Everyone and then select OK.
- In the Security window, mark the Full control checkbox and then select OK.
- Select Add again. In the window, type in Users and then select OK.
- In the Security window, select the checkbox for Full control and then select OK.
- Once done, click on Apply and then OK to close your settings.
Still, stuck with QuickBooks payroll error the file exists? In that case, you must proceed to the below-listed solutions.
Solution 3: Turn Off UAC in Windows Settings
Windows User Account Control settings are required for keeping your operating system secure from external threats by restricting its actions. There are certain QuickBooks processes that are suspected as a threat to Windows security. Thus, with the Windows UAC settings, you can perform any action that results in errors in QuickBooks. When you disable UAC temporarily, it allows QuickBooks to function properly, which in turn, can fix the QuickBooks error the file exists as well.
- Open the Run Window by simultaneously pressing Windows + R keys on your keyboard.
- Type Control Panel in the text box and click on OK.
- Now, select User Accounts followed by User Accounts (Classic View).
- After that, click on the Change user account control settings option.
- Follow the below steps when the slider Window opens up (A pop-up by UAC will appear on your screen; click on Yes to proceed.)
- Set to Never Notify and turn UAC OFF by clicking on OK.
- Whereas, set to Always Notify and click on OK to turn UAC ON. Again, click on YES when the prompt by UAC appears on your screen.
- At last, restart your computer.
IMPORTANT: Well, it’s crucial to turn UAC off for resolving the issues related to the QuickBooks Desktop. But, don’t forget to turn it on to avoid any unwanted security risks on your computer.
Solution 4: Re-register QuickBooks .DLL and .OCX file using Reboot.bat file
A utility that re-registers all your QuickBooks installation files automatically is known as QuickBooks Reboot.bat . And thus, helps you resolve the QuickBooks error the file exists. To do so, you may follow the below-given steps:
- Close the QuickBooks Desktop application in the first place.
- Now, you have to Right-click the QB icon and Click on Properties.
- Go to Open File Location and search for the reboot.bat file in the folder.
- Moving further Right-click the Reboot.bat file and click on Run as Administrator.
- Make sure you Wait until the black color command prompt window scrolls all the QuickBooks files and gets exit automatically.
- Lastly, restart Windows and check if the QuickBooks error the file exists persists or not.
Solution 5: Delete QBPRINT.qbp file
You might end up with a QuickBooks error the file exists while printing a form using QuickBooks Desktop as well. In such a situation, you must follow the below-given steps:
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys simultaneously.
- Then, type Control Panel and click OK.
- Select Devices and Printers, right-click and select Remove on any printer that is no longer in use or is showing an error sign.
- Exit QuickBooks Desktop and open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del keys together.
- Go to the Processes tab, there right-click QBW32.exe and click on End Process. Click on Yes for confirmation.
- If using QuickBooks Premier then, go to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks. Whereas, for QuickBooks Enterprise, navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\(QuickBooks_version)\TSPrinterSettings\.
- At last, search and delete the QBPRINT.qbp file from the folder and open QuickBooks once again to give a print.
Find An QB Expert To Troubleshoot File Exists Error!
We hope the resolution methods mentioned in this blog would have helped you resolve the QuickBooks error the file exists. However, if you’re stuck and need further assistance, we would suggest you to get in touch with our experts by giving us a call on QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number. Our team is well equipped in handling any issue related to the Payroll update.
QuickBooks Error the File Exists | Solutions Simply Answered
QuickBooks is amazing software, but as like other Windows applications, it also shows certain technical glitches and errors. One such error that we are going to discuss in this article is “QuickBooks the file exists” error that can appear while performing different operations in the QuickBooks Desktop app like downloading payroll update, paying scheduled liabilities, or while opening a state or a federal form. If you get this error, you might see one of the following error messages on your computer desktop “The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file.” or “The Windows error was “The file exists.”
Call Error Support Number 1.800.579.0391 and Get in Touch with Experts for Instant Support
Reasons QuickBooks Get “The File Exists” Error
As stated by Intuit® a user might get “The file exists.“ or “The file you specified cannot be opened” error when the file that QuickBooks require to complete the request is in use by some other application or is a read erroneously by QuickBooks, some other reasons responsible for triggering the file exists error are listed below:
- Outdated QuickBooks Desktop application. (Update QuickBooks Now)
- User account does not have the required administrative rights on Windows. (Run QuickBooks as an Administrator)
- Inactive internet connection.
- Windows User Account Control settings are interrupting normal QuickBooks functioning.
- Errors in QuickBooks Installation. (Repair QuickBooks Installation Errors)
- Faulty Firewall and Internet security settings.
As the “The file exists” error might appear because of a number of different reasons, it becomes crucial to know the exact cause to apply the reason-specific troubleshooting method. Make sure to follow all the troubleshooting steps in the given sequence if you can’t figure out the real culprit behind QuickBooks error the file exists.
Troubleshooting Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error “The File Exists”
Step 1: Check for QuickBooks Desktop Application Updates
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and from under the Help tab click Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Move to the Update Now tab and select Get Updates.
- Once the updates are downloaded, restart QuickBooks and click Install Now on the QuickBooks Update Service window.
- Once the updates are installed, try to perform the same action again and check if the error is resolved.
If you continue to face the same error, then follow the next troubleshooting method.
Step 2: Turn Off UAC in Windows Settings
Windows User Account Control settings are meant to protect the operating system from external threats by restricting their actions. Often-times, Windows UAC settings suspect QuickBooks processes as a threat to Windows security and prevents it from performing any action that results in errors in QuickBooks. Disabling UAC temporarily, allow QuickBooks to function properly that can fix the error. For detailed instructions of turning off User Account Control in Windows follow Troubleshooting Step 1 from our article on QuickBooks Error PS032 and PS077
Step 3: Allow Full Control Access to the User
Windows can be operated with different types of user accounts having different level of privileges. Admin user by default has full control access to files and folders on Windows and this is what QuickBooks requires to function correctly. Follow the steps listed below if your user account does not have the admin rights:
- Right click the QB Desktop icon and choose Open File Location option.
- Now hit the Backspace key on your keyboard or click the backward arrow at the top-left to navigate to the root folder.
- Right click the QuickBooks Folder and choose Properties.
- Under the Security section click Edit and choose Add.
- Select Everyone and then OK.
- Now choose the Full Control option and then hit Apply.
- Follow the same steps mentioned above but instead of selecting Everyone, select your User this time.
Step 4: Re-register QuickBooks .DLL and .OCX file using Reboot.bat file
QuickBooks Reboot.bat is a utility that re-registers most of the crucial QuickBooks installation files automatically and helps resolve some of the most complex errors like “The File Exists” error in QuickBooks. Follow the
- Exit QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Right-click the QB icon on your desktop and select Properties.
- Choose Open File Location and find the reboot.bat file in the folder.
- Now right-click the Reboot.bat file and select Run as Administrator.
- Wait until the black color command prompt window scrolls all the QuickBooks files and exits automatically.
- Restart Windows and check if the file exists error is resolved.
Step 5: Configure Windows Firewall, Repair QuickBooks Desktop and Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks
- For detailed instructions on how to configure Windows firewall ports, How to Repair QuickBooks Desktop and How to Perform a clean installation of QuickBooks Desktop application follow Troubleshooting Steps 3, 4, and 5 from our article on QBDBMgrN Not Running Error.
IMPORTANT: You might also get error “The File Exists” error while printing a form using QuickBooks Desktop, and in such case, we suggest you follow the given solution.
- Press Windows + R and type Control Panel and hit OK.
- Select Devices and Printers.
- Right-click and select Remove on any printer that is no longer in use or is showing an error sign.
- Exit QuickBooks Desktop and open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del keys together.
- Click the Processes tab and right click QBW32.exe.
- Select End Process and select Yes for confirmation.
- Now navigate to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks if you are using QuickBooks Premier or navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\(QuickBooks_version)\TSPrinterSettings\ if you are using QuickBooks Enterprise.
- Find and delete QBPRINT.qbp file from the folder and open QuickBooks again to give a print.
In case if you are not feeling comfortable following any of the troubleshooting steps or if the given solution is not working for you then we suggest you get in touch with our Support Team . Our experts are proficient in handling QuickBooks Payroll update errors like the File Exists error and can provide you an instant solution to the problem in the shortest time possible.
How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Errors: “The file you specified cannot be opened” & “The file exists”?
When it comes to accounting software, QuickBooks is only name that strikes everyone instantly. But everything has its positive and negative aspects, and one such negative of QuickBooks is that it is prone to certain errors. One such error that we will talk about today is the payroll errors which includes:
“The file you specified cannot be opened” It must not be already in use by another program or a read-only file
“The Windows Error was The File Exists.”
These error messages pop-up on the screen in a variety of circumstances. While downloading payroll, paying scheduled liabilities and also while opening a federal or state form, you can stumble upon this sort of error. If you have encountered these errors or any of them, then don’t worry, as we are here to help you to get the payroll back on track. This article will brief you with the various aspects associated with this error, along with the fixation steps for the same.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error PS077 or PS032?
What are these payroll errors?
Talking about the payroll errors: “The file you specified cannot be opened” and “The file exists”, they can be faced while working on various accounting features like paying scheduled liabilities, opening a state/federal form, and also at the time of downloading the payroll update. You could see the error messages like “The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or read-only file.” Also, you could face an error message stating “The windows error was the file exists”. There can be a bunch of factors causing the payroll errors, which we will be discussing in this post later on.
Causes of payroll errors: “The file you specified cannot be opened” and “The file exists”
These payroll errors can be seen due to a couple of factors, out of which the most common ones are listed below:
- This error can be caused due to inactive internet connection.
- Improper and outdated firewall.
- Misconfigured internet security settings.
- Any outdated QuickBooks desktop application file.
- You might end up in the error if the QuickBooks is being interrupted by windows user account control.
- If you are not having admin rights.
- And the installation of the software is not done properly.
Important points to remember
There are certain points that you can perform and take into consideration. Let us have a look:
- You are supposed to click on ok tab till the error message gets updated
- Further, you should close and again open QuickBooks
- Ensuring that QuickBooks version is of the latest version is also recommended
- Along with that, close QuickBooks software and reboot the desktop
- Once restarting QuickBooks, right click the QuickBooks and choose run as admin
Fixation methods for payroll errors: “The file you specified cannot be opened” and “The file exists”
There are a couple of steps that you can opt for in order to fix the QuickBooks payroll errors. We will be exploring each of the methods that can be implemented one by one, so let us have a look:
Solution 1: Updating Windows permission
- You can update the windows permissions by opening the windows start menu.
- And then typing in file explorer and open the same from the search bar.
- Next, spot the QuickBooks program file. It should look like this:
|Processor Type||File Path for QBW32.EXE|
|32-bit||C:\program files\intuit\quickbooks (year)|
|64-bit||C:\program files x86\intuit\quickbooks (year)|
- After this, hit a right click on the QuickBooks program file and then click on properties tab.
- Once done with that, you need to opt for security and edit options.
- Followed by, selecting add and in the windows type everyone and hit OK button.
- Now choose the checkbox for full control and then click on OK tab.
- Also, choose add again and type in users in the windows type, and then select OK button.
- Now, choose the check box full control in the security window and hit OK tab.
- To end the process, select apply and then choose Ok to close the settings.
Solution 2: Running as system admin
- Firstly open the Windows start menu.
- After that type in QuickBooks.
- And look for the results listed in the search window.
- After that hit a right click on the QuickBooks version and year you want to open.
- Now, choose the run as admin option.
- Followed by running the payroll updates.
- The last step is to close QuickBooks and open it normally.
Solution 3: Using the QuickBooks file doctor
- When asked to select the desktop as the default app location.
- And then run once the download process ends.
- After the QuickBooks file doctor runs, you will be prompted to select the error causing file, which will further lead to two options. You need to opt for the one that suits the situation.
Read it also: Troubleshooting methods for QuickBooks Error 6000, 308
Solution 4: Reinstalling QuickBooks desktop
- First of all, Press the Windows + R keys and open the run tab.
- After that, the box with the text appwiz.cpl will appear.
- And then, hit a click on QuickBooks twice and click on uninstall.
- Now you are required to download a clean install tool.
- And then use it for installing QuickBooks desktop.
Solution 5: Re-register QuickBooks .DLL and .OCX file using reboot.bat file
- Firstly, exit from QuickBooks initially.
- And then right click the QB icon and also select properties.
- Open file location and then look for the reboot.bat file.
- And then right click the reboot.bat file and select run as admin.
- Now wait for few minutes until the black color command prompt scrolls all the files.
- Finally, reboot windows and then check if the error persists.
Solution 6: Turning off user account control in windows
- You need to first press Windows + R keys.
- Type control panel.
- Spot the user accounts from the search bar.
- Now hit a click on change user account control settings.
- Click yes and then move the slider down to never notify and then turn off UAC.
- Last steps is to reboot the system and then update the QuickBooks desktop.
Solution 7: Checking for QuickBooks updates
- Open QuickBooks desktop and then click on product information option.
- Select the correct QuickBooks version.
- Click on get the latest updates.
- Followed by making a folder and save the file.
- Double click the installation file so that the update process begins.
- Reboot the system.
Solution 8: Fixing the file exists error while printing forms issue
- In this process, open desktop and press Windows + R keys and hit Enter key.
- Select the devices and printers option.
- Hit a right click on the device and select remove on the printer facing the issue.
- Now exit QuickBooks and open task manager or use the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys.
- Locate the QBW32.exe process and right click the same.
- To end the process, click on yes.
- Moving ahead, navigate to the C drive > Program data > Intuit > QuickBooks.
- Lastly, find and delete the find named QBPRINT.qbp. And reboot the system.
Solution 9: Basic troubleshooting steps
- At first, check if the file is open on the other server.
- Check if the QuickBooks file is damaged.
- The next step is to scan the system with the help of virus and threat protecting on the antivirus software.
- Followed by checking if the you are using the admin account.
- Lastly, check if the QuickBooks and the windows are updated and installed properly.
Technical assistance 24X7
Carry out the above stated methods and try getting rid of these payroll errors: “The file you specified cannot be opened” and “The file exists”. However, if you ever feel the need of talking advice from our QuickBooks payroll support team, then you can connect with us through helpline. Giving us a call will relieve you from all kind of stress related to QuickBooks. Help is available 24X7X365.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error The File Exists?
Despite the powerful features of QuickBooks, the accounting software may have technical errors. QuickBooks error the file exists is one of the issue users encounter. The error may occur when you are working on different accounting features. Besides that, downloading payroll updates, opening a federal or state form, and paying scheduled liabilities in QuickBooks can also cause such issues.
In QuickBooks, if the Windows error was the file exists then you can resolve this by performing the right method. Let us diagnose the cause of this error and the repairing.
What are the Causes of QuickBooks Error The File Exists
Generally, QuickBooks displays the error on the screen stating that the Windows error was The File Exists. It happens when the file cannot be opened. However, you can fix it. But before you reach its solution, go through the reasons that may cause the error in QuickBooks.
- When your Internet connection is not active on the system.
- The system firewall is improper or outdated.
- When the Internet security setting is incorrect.
- The QuickBooks Desktop application file is outdated.
- Windows User Account Control interrupts the QuickBooks software.
- The user does not have admin rights.
- QuickBooks installation is improper and, as a result, it is causing this error.
Now that you are aware of the causes of QuickBooks new company from existing company file error soyou can execute the fixation methods accordingly.
Fix the QuickBooks Error The File Exists on Windows
To get rid of the file that exists error in QuickBooks, you can disable the UAC, update the QuickBooks program, register QuickBooks.DLL and OCX file, give full access to the user, adjust firewall settings, reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Too, and fix printing issues.
If you have no clue how to perform these methods, we will help you with that. Here, we are listing the following solutions and implement these steps to get rid of unwanted errors in QuickBooks accounting software. Let’s get started!
Fix 1: Disable UAC in Windows Settings
The first thing you will have to make sure of that you check the UAC option. If UAC is enabled then you need to disable it. This can be checked through your Windows Settings.
Here are the steps to disable the UAC.
- Firstly, go to Windows Settings.
- Here, you can search for the UAC option.
- If you find the UAC is enabled already then you can turn it off.
- When you are done disabling the UAC, you can reboot the system and check if the error still occurs.
When you are done disabling the UAC, don’t forget to reboot the system. Once your system is restarted, you can verify if the error still occurs.
Fix 2: Look for the Updates in QuickBooks Desktop
Sometimes, running the old version of QuickBooks may create conflicts or not support all the features. Facing the QuickBooks new company from existing company file error can be caused by an outdated version of QuickBooks.
Here, we will first check the new updates. If it is available, you need to download it to support all the files and features.
- To check for QuickBooks Desktop updates, you can launch the QB Desktop.
- Then, you can go to the Product Information located below the Help tab.
- From the dropdown menu, you can select the option correct year and version of the QuickBooks software.
- Now you can go to search and proceed by clicking on the option Get the Latest Updates.
- Once the relevant files have been located, you can save the data on your computer desktop.
- When the downloading process is done, you can proceed with the installation. Also, make sure that you are following the instructions properly that appear on your screen.
- In the end, you can reboot your system after all the updates are completely installed.
This is how you can download and install the new updates of the QuickBooks program. Once your program is updated, you can check if you still find the Windows error was the file exists in QuickBooks.
Fix 3: Register QuickBooks.DLL and OCX file again with reboot.bat file
QuickBooks DLL and OCX files are necessary to run certain programs in QuickBooks. It is necessary that you verify if these files are registered. If not then register both the files immediately. Hence, in this fix, we will show you how to register DLL and OCX files with the reboot.bat file.
Follow these steps to understand better.
- To re-register for QuickBooks.DLL and .OCX file, you need to exit the QB Desktop application first.
- Next to this, you can click right on the QB icon on your desktop so that you can select Properties.
- Now, you can go to the Open File Location and search for the folder where reboot.bat file is stored.
- When you find the folder in which the reboot.bat file is present, you can run the file as an administrator.
- At this point, you will have to wait for a short while until the command prompt and then you can close it for once.
Once you are done following these steps, reboot your system and check if the QuickBooks error the file exists is fixed or not.
Fix 4: Allowance of Full Control Access to the User
If you have not given full access to the user, they may not be able to open the file. Hence, it is important that you give full control access to the user. All you have to go to the Properties, click Edit, and set permission to Everyone.
You can follow these steps:
- First thing, you can do is to right-click on the QB Desktop icon and choose the option; Open File Location.
- After that, you can go back by pressing the Backspace key on your keyboard.
- Now you can click right on the QuickBooks folder and select the properties.
- After that, you can hit the Edit button to select the Add option.
- At this point, select Everyone and then click the OK button.
- Now you need to select the Full Control option and click on Apply.
- After giving the full control access to the user, it is necessary to reboot your system. And then you can check if the error is still there or not.
After giving full control access to the user, it is necessary to reboot your system. And then you can check if the file exists error in QuickBooks is still there or not.
Fix 6: Adjust Firewall Settings
Windows Defender Firewall may block certain apps and programs on your computer. Due to this, you may not be able to access the company files. Hence, in this fix, we will show you how to allow the QuickBooks app through the Windows Defender:
- First of all, make sure you are on your local desktop. Then, you can press the Windows + R keys. After this, type control and go with the Enter button.
- Next to this, you can choose the Devices and Printers option.
- Now, on the device, click right and select Remove option on the printer you are facing issues with.
- Now you can exit the QB Desktop and launch the task manager. For that, you can either go to the taskbar or use the CTRL + ALT + DEL key.
- Then, you can locate the QBW32.exe below the process tab and click right on it.
- Thereafter, end the whole process and click Yes after you see the confirmation prompt on your screen.
- Thereafter, you can navigate to Drive C then Program Data to go to Intuit. Then, you can visit the QuickBooks option.
- At this point, you can search and delete the file with the name QBPRINT.qbp.
- When you are done following these steps, you can reboot the system and try to print again.
After you follow the aforementioned methods, if nothing fixes the QuickBooks error the file exists, you can then try to reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop.
Fix 7: Reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Tool
In case you are unable to open the file or encountering issues related to the QuickBooks program then you can try reinstalling the program. For this process, we will use the Clean Install Tool.
Important Note: Before getting started with the QuickBooks reinstallation process, make sure that you take a backup of the QuickBooks company files as it may delete the data from your computer.
- Once the backup is taken safely, you can download and install the “QuickBooks Clean Install Tool” on your system.
- Then, go to the “Downloads” folder where the tool download file is stored.
- Search for the “QucikBooksCleanInstallUtility.exe” file.
- Then, click the “I Accept” button.
- Choose the QuickBooks version.
- Click on the “Continue” button.
- Hit the “OK” button.
Thereafter, you can follow the on-screen instructions. This way you can reinstall QuickBooks with the Clean Install Tool. By following this process, you can easily fix the error.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is QuickBooks the File Exists Error?
When you download payroll updates, open a federal or state form, and pay scheduled liabilities in QuickBooks, you may show up the file exists error.2. Why Do I See QuickBooks Warning the File Exists?
The file you specified is unable to open. This happens when the file is being used by another program. There can be other issues related to your program due to which you see The Windows error was ‘The file exists’.3. How to Fix the File Exists Error in QuickBooks?
To fix this error, you can try to disable the User Account Control, update the QuickBooks program, register QuickBooks.DLL and OCX file, give full access to the user, and fix printing issues.
The troubleshooting methods should resolve the QuickBooks error the file exists. Now whenever you find QuickBooks warning the file exists, you can fix it by following the fixation methods such as disable the UAC, update the QuickBooks program, register QuickBooks.DLL and OCX file, give full access to the user, adjust firewall settings, reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Too, and fix printing issues.
These methods help you to troubleshoot the program and make the QuickBooks software work again in an appropriate manner.
If you are bothered by other errors in QuickBooks then you can go through the following guides to find the best solution.
QuickBooks Error the File Exists: Reliable Fixes to Solve and Prevent it
Coming across the message “QuickBooks Error the File Exists” may give you a bad experience while using this accounting software. Not only on QuickBooks but on QuickBooks Desktop also, this error message can get generated.
Minimizing your efforts to stop and prevent this error message while using the software, we will be presenting a number of fixes on this page. In an attempt to save your time in carrying out these fixes, we have already authored the directions you require. Along with the fixes, the meaning and reasons behind this error message in QuickBooks and its versions have also been defined here.
In this blog post, you can go through four sections. To know what each section will educate you about, you can prefer reading the short summary provided as follows:
What does the File Exists Error in QuickBooks Mean?
The Intuit QuickBooks software can be used for carrying out different types of accounting functions. Payment of the scheduled liabilities, opening a federal form or state form, etc., are some examples of these accounting functions. In an instance wherein a user is performing such functions, the QuickBooks error the file exists may show up on your system. This error may also arise when the user is downloading the updates for payroll. Due to certain issues with these activities, this error may be seen.
Reasons Behind the Presence of the QuickBooks Error the File Exists
Should you like to understand the exact reasons why the error message the file exists may be occurring in the QuickBooks software, reading the following will be recommended:
- The User Account Control in Windows may be giving rise to interferences with the QuickBooks software.
- The users of the accounting software may not be having the username and password for signing into Windows.
- Your internet may not be working very well.
- On your system the security settings of the firewall or internet may be faulty.
- You may not have installed the updates for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Due to problems with the installation of QuickBooks, such an error message may be emerging on your system.
How can I Troubleshoot the QuickBooks Error the File Exists?
The QuickBooks error message the file exists can be resolved by following 2 reliable fixes. These are inclusive of disabling User Account Control by visiting the settings of Windows and checking the connectivity of your internet. You can follow either of these fixes. Each of them is committed to removing the cause leading to such an error message on your system.
3.1) Fix 1: Disable User Account Control via the Windows Settings
User Account Control can be turned off by visiting the Windows settings. To access these settings, you can first launch the Control Panel. Here you can find the account of the user. Via the Never Notify option, you can turn off User Account Control. After this fix has been carried out, the file exists error in QuickBooks should stop emerging.
- The following keys of your keyboard have to be pressed at once.
“Windows” key + “R” key
- You will see “Run” on your screen. Write “Control Panel” in it.
- Press “Ok”.
- In the “Control Panel”, you will see a “Search Bar”. Use this to find the user’s account.
- Press the “Yes” button.
- Moving the slider downwards, look for “Never Notify”. Ensure that “UAC” has been turned off.
- Starting over your Windows system is the seventh step.
- To end this fix, ensure that “QuickBooks Payroll” has been updated. In case it is out of date, then install the updates right away.
When the above-mentioned steps have been done, do check for the problem
3.2) Fix 2: Try Checking the Internet Connectivity on Your Computer
In the second fix for troubleshooting the QuickBooks error message the file exists, we will show you how to check the connectivity of your internet on your computer. To check the same, you can head to a secure domain with the help of your default browser. Afterwards, you can verify your internet’s security settings. The settings will let you know whether any interference is preventing QB from connecting with your server.
To know the next set of steps that you’re required to do, carry on reading.
- Click twice on the default browser to open it.
- Enter any secure domain, preferably “QuickBooks.com” and visit it.
- In case your internet is running as usual, check its security settings. Ensure that no interference is being caused by these settings while QuickBooks connects with your server.
- Next, watch out for any dropped packets of the internet. You can verify the network’s latency for this purpose.
- Ensure that the settings of the “SSL” are not error-prone.
Note: We will suggest that for checking the internet connectivity on your computer, the default browser should be Internet Explorer.
How can I Resolve the File Exists Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
While accomplishing the accounting functions on QuickBooks Desktop, you may see the error of the file exists. It may be emerging if the application isn’t updated, full control access hasn’t been allowed, or your printer is problematic. The 5 fixes displayed below will work on such causes to rectify this error.
4.1) Fix 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop Application
Many of you may be well-familiar with the process to update QuickBooks Desktop. You may also know that updating the application helps it to stay trouble-free. In case the QuickBooks error the file exists can be seen, you can check whether or not the application has all the latest updates. Via Product Information in this accounting software, you can initiate the process of updating it.
- First, launch “QuickBooks Desktop” on your computer.
- Look for an option stating “Product Information”. Then click on it.
- Select the version of “QuickBooks”.
- Also, select the year of “QuickBooks”.
- Click on the search option.
- Make sure that you choose “Get the Latest Updates”.
- Prepare a folder for saving this file.
- The installation file has to be clicked twice. Now, the process of installing the updates will begin.
- After all the updates have been installed, you can restart your computer.
Now, you can start the QuickBooks Desktop application. Do check that the error which was existing prior to this fix cannot be found now.
4.2) Fix 2: Ensure that Full Control Access has been Allowed to the User
In a situation wherein full control access hasn’t been made available to a user, the QuickBooks error message stating that the file exists may be witnessed. As you can assume, by providing this access to the concerned user, this error message can be repaired.
To give full control access, you can opt for Open File Location in the accounting software. Accompanied by pressing Backspace, you can enter the folder of QuickBooks. Using the Properties of this folder, you can choose Edit and press Add. Now, you can provide full control by selecting the option for the same.
- Right-tap on the icon of “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Select the option of “Open File Location”.
- Push the “Backspace” key in this step.
- Locate the folder of “QuickBooks”.
- Right-click on the folder to opt for “Properties”.
- Click on “Edit”.
- Now, click on “Add”.
- The option of “Everyone” has to be chosen.
- Now, press the “Ok” button.
- Ensure that the option of “Full Control” has been selected.
- Hit “Apply”.
- Your system has to be rebooted now.
Access your files and try to work on them. In case the error doesn’t interfere while you work on these files, you can be sure that this fix worked well.
4.3) Fix 3: Re-register QB “.OCX” and “.DLL” File via “Reboot.Bat” File
While identifying the best fixes for settling the QuickBooks error message the file exists, we chanced upon a very simple measure for you. Using this, you can re-register the .OCX and .DLL files of QuickBooks. The Reboot.Bat file will help you for this purpose.
For executing this fix, you can turn off QuickBooks Desktop, then right-click on the software’s icon, and visit the Properties. After going to the location of the file, you can run the reboot.bat file as the administrator. To know the remaining directions, please read below.
- If “QuickBooks Desktop” is running, then exit it as the basic step of this fix.
- Now, look for the icon of “QuickBooks”. Right-tap on its icon. Then pick “Properties”.
- The “File Location” has to be opened.
- Find the file named “reboot.bat”.
- When the “reboot.bat” file has been found, right-click on the same. The option of “Run as Administrator” has to be selected.
- The window of “Command Prompt” in black will scroll every file of QuickBooks. You are required to wait till this process is happening.
- Afterwards, the user needs to restart his/her system.
- Open “QuickBooks” after freshly starting your system. Ensure that neither the QuickBooks error nor any error message is appearing in the software.
On the off chance that the problem is occurring again, you can try out the fourth fix.
4.4) Fix 4: Try Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop
Installing QuickBooks Desktop again is another time-tested way to get out of the problem. In case the file exists error is still appearing on your system, you can correctly uninstall and reinstall the accounting software. You can enter a command in Run for viewing QuickBooks. You can uninstall the software. Then using a reliable clean install tool, you can re-download and reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Let us open “Run” to start this fix. You can open it by visiting the “Start Menu” of Windows. Alternatively, you can try pressing the following keys together:
“Windows” key + “R” key
- The following command has to be provided in “Run”.
- Press two times on QB.
- Click on the “Uninstall” option.
- For the removal of the accounting software, you will be provided with certain prompts on your system. Make sure that you carefully follow and execute them.
- Next, you can opt for downloading a clean install tool. Ensure that it is downloaded from an authorized website only.
- Save the file of the clean install tool.
- Using the tool you’ve downloaded, you can install the accounting software once again on Windows.
Let the installation of the software be complete. Afterwards, you can open it. Try to execute any of the accounting functions. If no interruptions are observed while doing these functions, then the error will have been resolved.
4.5) Fix 5: Remove the Problematic Printer from Your System
In our final attempt to remove this QuickBooks problem, we will suggest you remove your printer. In case this error is appearing while you’re printing a form using QuickBooks Desktop, then removing the printing device will root out the possible bugs.
You can visit the Devices and Printers section of the Control Panel. This section will assist you in removing your printer. Later, you can stop the process named “QBW32.exe”. You can head to the Task Manager for stopping this process.
- Go to your “Desktop” after starting your computer.
- Launch “Run” with the help of the two keys given as follows at the same moment:
“Windows” key + “R” key
- Write “Control” in the box.
- Press “Enter”.
- Locate the option of “Devices and Printers”. Then choose it.
- After right-clicking on your device, press “Remove”. Ensure that you are removing only that printing device that is showing you this error while printing the forms.
- You can exit “QuickBooks Desktop” now.
- Visit the “Task Manager” of Windows. You can either visit it from the “Taskbar” or you can press the three keys given below. Press them at the same instant.
“Ctrl” key + “Alt” key + “Del” key
- Click on the tab titled “Processes”.
- Find the process named “QBW32.exe”. Right-click on it.
- End the “QBW32.exe” process.
- Press “Yes” for confirming your decision when you are asked to do so.
- Launch the “C: Drive”.
- Select “Program Data”.
- Click on “Intuit”.
- Tap on “QuickBooks”.
Note: This step will be ideal for the users of “QuickBooks Premier”. In case you are a user of “QuickBooks Enterprise”, you can follow the path given as follows:
- After the path opens a location, search for the “QBPRINT.qbp” file. Then delete this file.
- Rebooting windows is the next step.
- Print your forms once again.
With our passion to help you resolve a vast range of technical problems, we gathered a number of fixes on this page. In case you had been frequently encountering the QB error the file exists, after reading the above-displayed contents, you would have found the ideal measure for settling it. In the end, we’ll suggest that you keep in mind the causes of this error to prevent it.
Users of QuickBooks tend to come across different types of problems and QuickBooks error codes while using the software. We assure you to keep featuring our page with reliable fixes to keep the software bug-free. Keep visiting here for more such valuable reads.
QuickBooks Error The File Exists | Recovery of QuickBooks Error The File Exists Step By Step
The QB software is one of the software that is gaining popularity nowadays. It comes with lots of facilities like payroll, accounting, and inventory management. Some users also face errors that are not ignored. QuickBooks Error The File Exists is one of the common errors that is faced by the users. It may appear while working on the works like downloading updates for payroll, the opening of a federal/state form, and paying scheduled liabilities. User will also see a message on their screen whenever this error appears and that is”
In this article, we are discussing the main reasons by which this error occurs, some of the symptoms that appeared on the screen, and some effective methods to eliminate this error. For any technical help, call us.
Potential Signs & Symptoms of QuickBooks Error The File Exists
Some of the major symptoms are:
- The QB software is not working properly.
- You might face some slow down and lag.
- You will get to see a message on the screen.
- It stops the process of the QB.
- The system shuts down unevenly.
- The system freezes.
- It takes a lot of time to render the inputs.
Potential Reasons for QuickBooks Error The File Exists
Some of the reasons due to which this error persists are mentioned below:
- When the account is interfering with the QB.
- When users do not have the correct credentials to open the QB.
- When there is no proper internet connectivity.
- Due to the improper or wrong settings of the Firewall.
- Usage of the expired version of the software.
- You are not able to access the file of the QB.
- Use may face some lag or glitches in the system.
After learning about its potential causes one should now choose the best method to eliminate this error.
How to eliminate QuickBooks Error The File Exists?
Eliminating this error is a very simple task, you have to consider the best method among the mentioned methods and follow the steps carefully. If you are not able to solve the problem with one method then apply another. If you want any help then don’t feel shy call us immediately. Some of the methods for terminating this error are:
- Use Reboot.Bat File
- In the option, Windows Settings switch off the User A/c Control
- Provide Full Access to the user for Control
- Install QB again
- Update QB
- Check settings of the Firewall
- Use Clean Install Tool
- Run QB as Admin
- Check the connectivity of the Internet
Method 1: Update QB
- Initially, you have to open the QB Desktop.
- Select the option Product Information.
- Select the best QB Version.
- Click on the option search.
- Choose the Get the Latest Updates option.
- Create a new folder.
- Then save the file on the newly created folder.
- Double-tap on the installation file.
- After completion of the installation process, start the workstation again.
Method 2: In the option, Windows Settings switch off the User A/c Control
- Initially open the Run window.
- In the search box, type Control Panel.
- Hit OK.
- Look at the top of the window of the Control Panel, find the accounts from the search bar.
- In the A/c Control settings, tap on the icon Change User.
- Hit Yes.
- Move the slider to the option Never Notify.
- Switch off the services of UAC.
- Restart the workstation.
Method 3: Provide Full Access to the user for Control
- Locate the QB icon.
- Right-click on it.
- Select the option Open File Location.
- Hit the key Backspace.
- Find the QB folder.
- Right-tap on it.
- Click on the option Properties.
- Select the option Edit.
- Now it’s time to choose the option Add.
- Click on the option “Everyone”.
- Hit OK.
- Go for option Full Control.
- Hit Apply.
- At last, it is advised to choose the option Your User instead of choosing option Everyone.
Method 4: Use Reboot.Bat File
To register the files like .DLL & .OCX again one can use the file Reboot.Bat. To do so steps are:
- Initially, quit QB.
- Locate the icon of QB software.
- Right-tap on it.
- Choose option Properties.
- Similarly, choose the option Open File Location.
- Find the file reboot.bat.
- After locating the file, right-click on it.
- Choose option Run as Administrator.
- Just wait for the window of Command Prompt.
- At last, start the workstation again.
Method 5: Install QB again
- Initially open the window Run.
- Type there in the search box appwiz.cpl.
- Double-tap on the QB Icon.
- Uninstall it. (Follow the on-screen instructions)
- Download the QB.
- Install it properly by choosing the proper options.
- After installation of the software, login into it by entering the necessary login credentials.
- At last, restart the system.
Method 6: Check settings of the Firewall
- Sometimes Windows Defender Firewall can block the process related to QB because of which you are not able to open the file of the company.
- Open the Run window.
- Type Control there.
- Press Enter.
- Click on the Devices and Printers option.
- Right-click on it.
- Choose the option the Remove.
- Exit from the QB desktop. ‘
- Start the Task Manager.
- Visit the taskbar.
- Click on the Progress tab.
- Find the application named QBW32.exe.
- Right-click on it.
- Hit Yes, whenever the confirmation message prompts.
- Go to the C Drive.
- Visit the folder Program Data.
- After that visit the folder Intuit.
- Click on the QuickBooks icon.
- Delete the file named QBPRINT.qbp.
- Restart the workstation.
Method 7: Use Clean Install Tool
If you are still getting any error then use the Clean Install Tool by reinstalling the program. Before uninstalling QB take a backup of the data.
- Download the “QB Clean Install Tool” on the workstation.
- Visit the downloaded folder.
- Choose the .EXE file.
- Mark on the button “I Accept ………..”.
- Select the version of the QB.
- Hit the button “Continue”.
- Press “OK”.
- Now follow the required instructions to install the program again.
Method 8: Check the connectivity of the Internet
Improper connectivity of the internet can abrupt the process of QB. To verify the Internet follow the steps:
- Open the Browser.
- Type QuickBooks.com as it a secure domain.
- If the website runs then there is no issue on the Internet.
- Check if no internet packets are dropping.
- Users should ensure that the SSL Settings of QB are fallible.
- Users should make sure that the Internet Explorer is set as the default browser.
Method 9: Run QB as Admin
Initially update QB then follow the mentioned steps:
- Tap on the icon of the Start Menu.
- Type “QuickBooks” in the search box.
- After that, right tap on the QB.
- Choose option Run as administrator.
QuickBooks Error The File Exists can be easily resolved by using an appropriate method and follow the steps carefully. If you are unable to cure it yourself then call us. We had appointed a panel of experts available 24*7 for you. Don’t feel shy. Call us to eliminate the problem quickly.