Using the Mac version of QuickBooks is different from the Windows version. Certain limitations are evident as the Mac version lacks many features. It does not come up with features like sync manager or web connector. Sync manager feature allows you to automatically sync information with other software or services. Intuit focuses more on QuickBooks Online rather than on QuickBooks Desktop on Mac. If you switch from the Windows version to Mac, you might realize that many important and necessary features that your company might need to keep on track with the financial data in an appropriate manner are not available.
In a recent update, the Mac version of QuickBooks has been discontinued by Intuit. It has been lagging behind the Windows version. But still, if anyone is willing to operate and manage their business accounts with QuickBooks Desktop via Mac, however certain steps are required to be followed. Talking specifically about the Parallels Software, below are the steps that need to be followed in order to switch from Windows to Mac version using Parallels.
Parallels Desktop is a Mac OS application that allows you to run Windows on Mac. Parallels Desktop allows to create a Virtual machine. It is like using a computer on another computer. Once the Virtual Machine is created, you can install any operating system that you wish, say Windows. After the installation is done, you can install or download any application that you would operate simply on Windows desktop. Using Parallels makes it possible to operate Windows-based applications on Mac. It was a general overview of how an application can be set up on Mac using Parallels. The same process needs to be followed for setting up QuickBooks on MAC using Parallels. An elaborate description of the procedure is given below:
Steps to Create Virtual Machine via Parallel Desktop Application For QuickBooks Mac
The first step involves the creation of a new Virtual Machine using the Parallels Desktop application on Mac.
- Open the Parallels Desktop application and click on File option and select New.
- Click Install Windows or another OS from DVD or image file, and then click on Continue.
- Select an installation media. You can install Windows from a DVD or .iso disc image. Here is an important point to note. An image file of .exe extension cannot be used in installing Windows. It will only work if Windows has already been installed and it only needs to be updated. Otherwise, the .exe extension would not work in the installation of windows. It only works for upgradation.
- Once the installation media has been selected, click on Continue. On the screen, the Windows Product Key window will appear. Check the Express Installation key and then click on Continue.
- The second last step in the installation process is mentioning the purpose of installation of Windows if it is for either Productivity or Games only
- The last step requires you to name the Virtual Machine that has been created and give a location to it.
Once the operating system created, you can use it as you use your PC. You can install any application and run it through the Virtual Machine.
Now, the real motive of suggesting these steps was to know how to set up QuickBooks Desktop on Mac using Parallels. QuickBooks is like any other application that you run on Windows.
Now that the operating system i.e. Windows installed, you can simply download and install QuickBooks with your license information. This way, you can enjoy the benefits of both, the extra functionalities that QuickBooks in Windows version offers and you don’t even have to leave the comfort of your Mac.
How to Install QuickBooks Desktop: Best Practices You Want to Follow
Intuit gives QuickBooks Desktop users options to configure their installation – whether installing it on a single PC, or on PCs networked together.
Within a network, you can operate QuickBooks Desktop diversely. The two popular ways to operate in such an environment are a Terminal Server, and Cloud Hosting.
What is the Difference Between a Terminal Server and Cloud Hosting?
Both utilize remote methods for users to log into an environment conducive to using QuickBooks Desktop. Because of this, individual users aren’t required to have QuickBooks installed on their personal workstations; this arrangement mitigates cyclic equipment changes in order to meet of system requirements.
Both require specific instructions to properly install, then configure QuickBooks for successful deployment for each solution/platform. The upside, at the very least, is the bulk of the work is done on one machine.
There are key distinctions marking cloud hosting solution providers more robust than a traditional Terminal Server are some of the following:
- Cloud Hosting environments are configured with layers of redundancy in mind.
- Cloud hosting providers enact stronger security protocols for their wider user base.
- Cloud hosting providers ensure compatibility among apps integrated within a user environment.
- Cloud hosting providers make sure enough bandwidth is available to their wider client base
- Terminal servers are often tailored for smaller businesses not needing the level of robustness of cloud hosting.
- Terminal servers can be kept within a local office or scaled to add remote workers to the organization’s network.
As robust as these solutions are, they adhere to best practices optimal to their respective use cases. For the small office not requiring the robustness of either solution, it is important to have the same intent.
What Are Best Practices For Installing QuickBooks Desktop?
Even though the installation process is straightforward, choosing less than optimal settings can bring unintended consequences.
It’s very easy to hit “Next,” without giving much thought. This is understandably the case when installing QuickBooks Desktop on a single workstation, and only that – which implies:
- No other workstation will be accessing the file from it.
- The file will reside only on this workstation.
- Only one Windows® user will likely be using QuickBooks.
- Subliminally, you simply need the program installed, and get it running – ASAP.
QuickBooks Installation Best Practice #1: Make Sure Other Applications Are Already Installed
If you’re not sure what other, or auxiliary, applications are compatible with QuickBooks: just check the latest system requirements. If you need QuickBooks integrated with key workstation applications, like the Microsoft Office suite, having those installed before installing QuickBooks is crucial. The correspondence check will only occur during the installation process’s initial stages.
Off that bat, especially from my time supporting QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, I can think of these workstation programs being requisite for any serious user:
- A PDF reader – print out reports, lists, transaction forms, or attached documents your QuickBooks file may have pertaining to vendors and customers.
- Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and Word – export reports for further editing and customization; create company letters; send forms and letters to clients/vendors the way your organization needs to send them.
- Antivirus – allow QuickBooks to provide sharing and network parameters (if applicable) to those programs, aiding file sharing in a network; and activation validation of your QuickBooks installation.
QuickBooks Installation Best Practice #2: Get An Idea of Your Workstation Layout
If you’re comfortable doing this, great! Most of the time, this task is taken care of by an IT professional. We want to note workstation layout items, like:
- The number of storage devices available, and their types – for example: one hard disk drive, one solid state drive, and a USB flash drive.
- Will your workstation be where you use QuickBooks Desktop?
- Will your workstation share the file to other QuickBooks users?
- Will your workstation serve as the home of backup files?
- Will your workstation use online backup solutions supplementing a local backup?
As connoted, layout can mean the physical layout and logical, or schematic, layout – especially with respect to how QuickBooks is going to be used on a workstation.
What If My Workstation Will Be Where I Use QuickBooks Desktop?
It is important to be clear as to how you will use QuickBooks on your workstation. If you only plan to access QuickBooks from a server – using your workstation – then it is likely you won’t need to worry about installation considerations for your workstation.
Possibly, the only real consideration is the network infrastructure in your organization – looking at how much data can be transferred per second, and how reliably that can be done.
If you plan on accessing it directly from your workstation; or your workstation having a copy of QuickBooks Desktop, then you want to account for some of these considerations:
- Your workstation meeting system requirements from a hardware and software standpoint
- How your storage devices are laid out from a hardware and software standpoint.
QuickBooks Desktop For Mac 2020 Payroll
QuickBooks Desktop for Mac Payroll helps you in managing your finances for your businesses. It has many features that helps you in reports, sales, taxes, easy to use and more. With this you got synchronized with the records and manage expenses and import the data from the spreadsheet. Many things you know about it below like system requirements, setup, and features.
These Option Available For Payroll User
- QuickBooks Desktop Basic Payroll 2020
- Enhanced Payroll QuickBooks Desktop 2020
- Assisted Payroll 2020 QB Desktop
- Full Service Payroll 2020 QB Desktop
- Payroll 2020 QuickBooks Enterprise
System Requirement For Quickbooks Mac Payroll 2020
- Minimum macOS 10.14(Mohave); Compatible by macOS 10.14(Mojave)
- Supports Core 2 Duo, Intel Processor, or advanced
- Multi-user Server:
- Need Intel Core 2 Duo or advanced process to execute a server
- Suggested 4 GB RAM, Minimum 2GB RAM
- Need additional disk space of 250
- Required Product Registration
- Canadian image ready checks are incompatible
- 100% Macintosh-supportable printer to seamlessly print the checks, lists, graphs, or reports
- Data export: Need Microsoft Excel 2016, Apple Numbers v3.5 or Advanced like Mac Office 365.
- Email: This need Microsoft Outlook 2016 or Apple Mail or advanced including Mac Office 365.
- Payroll Services: Top Pay from Aatrix, Intuit Full Service Payroll, and Intuit QuickBooks Payroll for Mac. Need EIN and stable internet connection to work for payroll for Mac.
- Payment method: This needs Intuit Merchant service for debit cards or credit cards
Features That You Must Be Aware Of Are As Follows:-
- Search the text in any of the pdf attachment
- You get the compatibility to use the dark mode in the Mojave OS
- Centralized dashboard with more visibility
- You can access the sales, financial, and the tax reports more than 115 files in a single click
- Create purchase orders, set the reorder points, and track the inventory
- Use the company snapshot to see the consolidated view of your business
- Create the forms and invoices professionally
- You can easily add the reminders to your calendars
- Easy to pay bills, print checks, and track all the expenses
- You can find the data so quickly in vendor, customer, and in transaction centers
- The permissions can be set individually to control the access to sensitive information
- Import the existing customer or product
- Sync your contacts in the Mac OS Address Book
- It allows the 3 users can work at the same time
- Easy to create multiple invoices of customer altogether instead of one at a time
- The batch importing payments, invoices, and bills save your time
- The visibility is increased by quickly tracking the QuickBooks emails sent to all the vendors and customers
- Budgets have to be done by fiscal year to track all your progress against all your goals.
QuickBooks For Mac 2020 Compatible File Conversion
- Two-way conversion to and from QuickBooks Desktop 2020
- One-way conversion to QuickBooks Online or from QuickBooks Desktop for Windows 2016 to 2019
How To Update QuickBooks For Mac 2020 To The Advanced Release?
You can directly download the QuickBooks updates from the product update page in-product update:
- Locate the QuickBooks drop-down button
- Choose Check for QuickBooks Updates option
- Click on Install Update if any advance version is available
- It will display a prompt, click on the Install and Re-launch option
- Once the update process finishes then the QuickBooks for Mac opens automatically
1. Update Manually:
- Initially uninstall the QuickBooks for Mac 2020
- After this close your accounting software
- Locate Finder option and then click on Go Applications
- Now drag the icon to the trash folder
2. Re-Installation Of The Advanced Version:
Here are the steps:
- Locate QuickBooks Download and Updates
- Ensure you choose the accurate product name, country, and version
- Hit on the Select option
- Find Download if you need to download the installer file
- Discover the .dmg file
- Double click on it
- Now with the help of your mouse drag the icon on the folder named Applications to proceed with the installation process
- If you need to check the update and release number, then open your QuickBooks
- Now Hit the Cmd+1 buttons
- After this restore the company file
How To Setup Intuit QB MAC 20 Payroll
1. Method One: Setup Payroll For Mac
- Firstly, select the QuickBooks and Preferences
- Do click on the Payroll
- From the drop-down menu shown to you choose a service for the Payroll services
- Now go to the Edit Account option then do create a new account or sign in to the account if you already have
- A list of employees shown to you from that select the employees you want to pay
- Write the Payment information and the hours worked for each employee
- Approved the salaries of the employees after selecting the Create Paychecks
- Click on the option print checks by yourself or send the direct deposit of the paycheck for free
- Select that you have to email the ink to the employees.
Edit the information of Employees
- Select the Lists and Employees
- Then on the name of the employee double-click on it
- Now edit the first, middle and the last name for matching the QuickBooks payroll services account information with employees
- At the end, click on the OK button to save the changes.
2. Method Two: Update Antivirus And Anti Spyware For Resolving This Error
Update your Antivirus and Antispyware of your computer system and allow them to acess mentioned link and file.
How To Turn On Class Tracking In QuickBooks For Mac?
Below mentioned are the steps:
- Locate the Company option
- Click on Company Settings
- Choose Show: arrows
- Select Transactions option
- Click on the Transactions tab of Company Settings
- Hit on Checkmark Use Class Tracking option
- Give a click on the Apply button
How To Turn On Class Tracking For The QuickBooks Mac 2010 Or Advanced?
Here are the steps:
- Locate the QuickBooks option
- Click on Preferences
- Discover the Workflow tab, hit on Transactions
- It will display a screen containing a checkbox that says Use Class Tracking
- Place a mark on the field to switch class tracking on
- The next step is to Set Up Accounts in the Payroll account
- Hit on the Setup option
- Below the Export Heading, you need to choose Preferences
- Click on QuickBooks for Mac listed in the drop-down list of software
- Locate the Checking Account field then write the bank account or choose it from the list in the drop-down button
- Hit on the Customize option to fill the account number same as mentioned in the QuickBooks account or choose from the drop-down list
- Determine that you are using the classes associated with QuickBooks
- Now Hit on OK button
Online Payroll Service QB MAC Desktop 20.0
1. Enable Online Payroll Service For QuickBooks MAC Desktop
It is the online service of Payroll that is integrated with your QuickBooks software. It integrates with the QuickBooks Mac 2006 or higher than this. It support the Firefox v2.0 or later and Safari v3.1 or later.
- Tax, sales, and financial reports in one click.
- You don’t require accounting knowledge to work with this software.
- With the organised expenses it helps in maximizing the deductions of tax.
- The setup is too simple and is easy to use framework of application.
- For making better decisions; business performances can be tracked.
- The structure of the reporting is regenerated that includes improved navigation, usability, presentation, and customization.
- In Mac’s Mojave OS you can use the Dark Mode interface.
- You can easily handle the checks correctly that are bounced very easily.
- There is a dashboard from where you can handle all the things easily in one click.
- Electronic invoices send to the customers with e-check payments options or online ACH.
How To Update QuickBooks Server For Mac?
- Locate QuickBooks Server year appears near the Apple logo
- Now choose Check for QuickBooks Server updates
- Hit on install Update
- At last click on Install and Re-launch option
How To Export The Payroll Details From The Server?
- Login into the Payroll account
- Hit on the payday option
- Click on Export to QuickBooks
- After this, choose the checks and payments you need to export
- Hit on the Export button
- It will display a confirmation Page
- Click on the Ok option
Need Professional Help?
You can easily contact the QBPayrollHelp team regarding on QuickBooks Payroll Support Number for any technical or functional issues regarding Mac 2020 Payroll QuickBooks . You need to reach the team via QBPayrollHelp toll free 📞+1-888-300-3913 . Team members are here 365 days a year to help you out by assisting you anytime from anywhere. You can also reach them via live chat or email.
How to Install and Setup QuickBooks Desktop for Mac?
Here is how you can install an setup install and set up QuickBooks Desktop for Mac without any hassle:
QuickBooks is a premium accounting software that is used by hundreds and thousands of companies globally. It is one of the best software which allows users to manage accounts for small and medium scale businesses. The best part of this software is that it is available for Mac users and that too with some features that are exclusive for Mac users. All this makes the accounting process easy and hassle-free. Some of the features that QuickBooks Mac Desktop offers are, automatic reminders in iCalender, timely notifications in the menu bar, auto contacts sync in Mac Operating system’s address book.
One of the issues that users face with QuickBooks Mac Desktop is regarding the installation and setting up procedure. And we have created this blog post to inform you of the complete process to Install and Set up QuickBooks desktop for Mac. So, let’s get started.
However, if you want an expert to help you in installing and setting up QuickBooks Mac desktop for you, in that case you can get in touch with our QuickBooks desktop for mac support team. You can reach out to our team of experts and certified professionals via our toll-free number i.e. 1(844)521-0490. Our executives will ensure to provide you with the best possible support service in a single call.
Important points before installing QuickBooks Mac desktop
- Before you begin with the installation process of QuickBooks desktop for MAC, it is better to consider certain pointers which include:
- Ensure to run QuickBooks Mac Desktop on your computer. Also check the minimum system requirements for the particular Mac version you use, for speedy installation.
- Also, if you have accidentally purchased QuickBooks for Windows, make sure to return the product and get the right version.
- Another important point to consider is to prepare the license and product numbers.
- If you have a downloaded product, then in that case, the email confirmation should contain the license and product number.
- And if you have the CD, then look for the scratch-off label on the packaging.
Minimum system requirements for QuickBooks Mac desktop
- At least MacOS 10.14 (Mohave); supported by MacOS 10.14 (Mojave)
- Intel processor, Core 2 Duo or higher
- Multi User Server: Intel COre 2 Duo or higher processor to run a server
- 2 GB RAM, however, 4 GB RAM is recommended
- 250 MB disk space available
- CD/DVD drive or internet connection for downloaded installation
- Printer should be 100% Macintosh-compatible printer, in order to print the invoices, checks, deposit slips, lists, purchase orders, mailing labels , reports, etc.
- For Mac, using Intuit Checks to print checks
- Product registration is a must
Read Also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error H303?
Steps to Download and Install QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
At first you can watch the below given video to download and install QuickBooks desktop for Mac on IOS devices.https://www.youtube.com/embed/WAu_FR_Fi8s?controls=0
Also see the manuel steps to install and download QuickBooks desktop for Mac:
- Start with downloading QuickBooks Software from the Intuit’s Website. You can skip this step in case you have a physical copy of the software. Visit the QuickBooks support website and choose the Mac version of the software.
- In case you face issues while downloading the installer, clear the browser’s cookies and cache memory. Also, if the issue still pops up, then try some other browser.
- Once the software is download, visit the location where the software is downloaded and double click on the QB executable file, this will initiate the file extraction process.
- After the extraction is completed, click on ‘Yes to All’ and then click on ‘Next to start the installation’
- Here, the ‘Software License Agreement‘ will appear on your screen make sure to read it correctly. If you agree with the terms and policies mentioned in the license agreement, then click ‘Next’ option.
- Now, you will be required to enter the ‘License and Product numbers‘. Make sure to enter the correct information in the designated slots and click ‘Next’ button.
- Here you will have to select the type of the installation. Following are the options that you will have a choice between:
- Express: This will allow the installer to go with the pre-instated set of choices. In case you have previous data of QuickBooks on your device, then choosing this option will replace the choices.
- Custom and Network: In case you are going to use multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop, then this option will be more optimum. It will allow you to proceed with the installation with options that will let you share data with other users on the same network.
- After this, you will have to select as to where you will be using QB Desktop (In case you have selected Express in the last step, you can skip this step):
- ‘I’ll be using QuickBooks on this Computer’: You should choose this option if you are not going to store company file on the Mac in which you are running QuickBooks.
- ‘I’ll be using QuickBooks on this computer, and I’ll be storing company file here’: Users should choose this option if they are going to store the company file on the same system on which QB desktop for Mac is being installed.
- I will not utilize QuickBooks on this Mac, I’ll be storing our business file here’: Users should choose this option if it is used nothing but as a file server.
- Once the above-mentioned steps are completed, click ‘Next’ to continue the installation. After the installation process is completed, restart the Mac and activate QuickBooks desktop.
Steps to upgrade or convert the company file in QuickBooks
If the user has upgraded from a previous QuickBooks Desktop for Mac version, then in that case the user must update the company file to work in the newer version. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- First of all, open the company file in the newer QB version.
- And then, when you encounter the prompts from QuickBooks to update or even convert the company file, make sure that you select Upgrade option.
- The next step is to select OK button, in case of any prompt appear on the screen.
- The user is then required to check the balance, reports, and accounts to ensure the correct company file is converted. And this will upgrade your company file.
Steps to set up multi-user in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
If you have to offer access to multiple users, then you will have to set-up QuickBooks in multi-user mode. This will make sure that all the clients can access all the present files simultaneously without any issue.
- Open the Multi-user folder
- Drag the QuickBooks Server icon to the Application folder.
- Once done, click on the Authenticate to modify the application folder and then press OK after entering the username and password.
- After this, launch the QuickBooks desktop and open the company file.
- Now go to the File and choose Enable Multi-user mode to share the company file access.
Limitations of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
Though QuickBooks Mac desktop is an amazing software, but there can be certain limitations at the same time. Such as:
- No access to data via mobile: QuickBooks online (qbo) permits the user to access the data from mobile phones, but this feature is not available in QuickBooks for Mac.
- Limited technical assistance: When the user purchases Mac desktop, unlimited tech support is provided for 30 days, but afterwards the user will have to purchase the support plan
- Maximum three user licenses: QuickBooks for Mac offer two user license and the user can buy additional one license only.
Once you completes all the steps as mentioned above, you will be able to use QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to the optimum level.
You might also like: What is QuickBooks PDF converter and How to use it?
In case you come across any error even after following the process mentioned, you can contact our QuickBooks enterprise support team at +1-888-300-3913 for quick and precise solutions of the issue. We use you are able to install and set up QuickBooks Desktop for MAC without any hassle.