Printer not activated Error Code -20 is just one of the most common error message encountered by QuickBooks users. This error generally takes place when a user try to install or upgrade to a newer Windows version. Usually, the major cause of this issue is the deleted KEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software key.
Because of this error, users are not able to publish or send the invoices and payslips which leads to the further inconvenience for business owners. This is a common error that may cause by lots of other applications besides QuickBooks, but its significance on QuickBooks is greater than any other software.
Read Also: How to resolve QuickBooks error 15271?
What causes QuickBooks Error 20 -Printer not activated problem?
Here are some of the possible reasons are given below:-
- This error code is usually appears due to elimination/deletion of the ‘HKey_current_config\software’ key. QuickBooks program works on the same registry key as well. This situation leads to the condition where the outdated key stops the application as well as printer to run properly. It has been experienced that many program/applications use that same registry key..! It tends to cause malfunctioning of the software and other software’s as well.
- This error can also be occur when the multiple QuickBooks versions are installed in the computer. This arrangement doesn’t harm the system but it could be a possible reason. If the multiple versions of QuickBooks application installed in a system have different directory then there is no problem.
- In case, the same error code or error message appears again and you are unable to save/download the invoice, bill, or payslip as PDF..! It simply means that the QuickBooks application isn’t compatible with the PDF driver & operating system.
How to Fix Printer Not Activated – Error Code -20 on Windows 7 or later versions?
If the problem is associated with the problem, “Printer not activated? Error – 20” on the Windows 7, Windows 8 or later versions. In such scenario, you need to perform the solution steps given below:-
1. At first, close the final draft:
For Windows 8 or later:
- Click on the “Start” or “Windows” icon on the display.
- Perform right-click on the ‘Final Draft9/8 tile’.
- Choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ tab.
For Window 7/Vista:
- In the Windows 7, go to the “Start” icon => “Programs” tab.
- Select the ‘Final Draft 9/8’.
- Choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ tab.
- Try again to save the documents In PDF format. Now, you will able to save your script as PFD with no issues.
You might also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 3003?
2. Change the Directory:
Note: you need to consider the following points before changing the directory.
- Generate the Backup: Before you make any changes in the present registry make sure that you create a backup. Use the old registry if in case you are unable to solve the issues with the modified registry.
- For any further complications, you must be prepared with a system recovery point.
3. Create the Backup Registry:
- At first, hit onto the “Registry Editor” tab.
- Go to the folder tree in the left bar and click on the ‘Computer’ icon.
- Then, hit onto the “File” icon => “Export” tab => “Save” icon.
4. Create the System Restore Point:
- At first, click on the “Start” or “Windows” icon.
- Search for the ‘System Restore’ option, click on the ‘Create a New Restore Point’ option.
- Go to the “System Properties” screen.
- Enable the “Protection Setting”.
- If the function is disabled, click “Configure” and set the protection.
- Finish with clicking Apply and OK button.
- These settings will automatically create a system restore point.
Note: Before you make modifications to the Registry, ensure you take a back-up of your computer registry files and create a system restore point in case something else fails whilst you’re doing the actions you should have the ability to restore the system.
How to Solve QuickBooks Error code 20?
Below we have given 2 possible fixes to resolve printer not activated error code -20 in QuickBooks.
Solution 1: Re-installation of QuickBooks
This method is focused & aid to repair all your QuickBooks program. Uninstalling and then reinstalling QuickBooks software can be a good step to clean all the damaged or corrupted files. However, we recommend you to use the system security app and perform a clean up before you re-installing the QuickBooks.
- First of all, close your QuickBooks and all the running programs on your systems.
- Now go to the Control panel.
- Here you need to find programs (Apps) & features option.
- After that click on Programs & Features.
- Now locate the QuickBooks and click on the Uninstall option.
- Download a fresh copy of QuickBooks version that is compatible with your system.
- Once the re-installation process gets complete, the program along with the printer will work again.
- Restart your computer system to let the changes to take place.
Note: If the problem is with PDF converter only, then you are advised to uninstall the old driver and install a compatible driver with your operating system.
Solution 2: Manually Edit or Update the Registry key
This issue can be solved by upgrading your Windows 7 operating system. A clean installation of windows 7 wouldn’t cause such type of critical errors.
There are 2 ways of manually updating the registry key.
Method 1: Grant permission by using Registry Editor
- Open your registry editor.
- On your system keyboard, click Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type regedit command.
- Now right click on the regedit & then select the option to Run as Administrator
- Search HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG as now you have to get access the registry editor.
- Choose the permission after right clicking the software folder name.
- You need to verify that user has the full access control of the table.
- Finally click on to the OK button and close the window & also registry editor option.
After performing the above steps QuickBooks has the access to all keys and printer that should work in fine condition.
Method 2: Grant permission using Powershell script
This options described only for Windows 10 users. You can update your registry key editor manually by granting permission using Powershell script.
Note: The user account control who is looking for the permission should be logged in. A user account also has the access by using the command prompt.
- Click on the Start button.
- Now type cmd
- After that select Run as an administrator by giving one right click cmd.
- Type Power shell in the command prompt and also press Enter key.
- Finally copy and paste the following code as it is showing on the command prompt.
PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -Command “$key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentConfig.OpenSubKey(‘Software’,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,[System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions); $acl =$key.GetAccessControl(); $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule (‘Users’,’FullControl’,’ObjectInherit,ContainerInherit’,’None’,’Allow’); $acl.SetAccessRule($rule); $key.SetAccessControl($acl);”
- This will stop the error from reappearing.
We hopefully think the above given methods resolves your QuickBooks printer not activated error code 20 and now you are able to print your files using QuickBooks.
However, if you are still troubling with this error and want any help regarding this issue, you can dial our QuickBooks customer support number .I.E. to get immediate help from the experts. We provide extreme services and quality assistance with effective solutions.
How To Fix QuickBooks Printer Not Activated Error Code 20?
QuickBooks error code 20 on the screen depicts that a regular user is facing problems while printing from QuickBooks. When you try to print from QuickBooks 2009 on a Windows 10 computer, it gives an error message “Printer not activated.” The error is caused due to the compatibility issue between the outdated QuickBooks 2009 and Windows 10. Intuit has ended the official support for the 2009 version of the QuickBooks devised to run on Windows 7. In this blog, we will converse about QuickBooks printer not activated error code 20 and some helpful troubleshooting solutions for the concerning error code.
What are the Primary causes Behind QuickBooks Activation Error 20?
Windows 10 can be updated twice in a month whereas, QuickBooks 2009 having its official support terminated in May 2012 can’t get any updates. It raises a major compatibility issue between the two. There are various other technical factors that can promote error 20 in QuickBooks. Check the below-given list:
- QuickBooks 2009 not compatible with the Windows 10 arising print issues in the program
- Outdated QuickBooks 2009
- Unsupported printer drivers can be another reason behind the error: 20
- Issues with the QuickBooks Windows Registry can also bring forth the error while printing from the program
- QuickBooks error 20 can also crop up due to unsupported printer drivers
Upgrading QuickBooks can resolve the QuickBooks error 20 during printer activation. However, before upgrading, you can try some effective troubleshooting steps to eliminate the error.
How To Fix QuickBooks Printer Not Activated Error Code 20, Windows 10?
Below are some troubleshooting procedures you can perform in their given sequence to ensure the efficacy of the steps. Let’s start:
Solution 1: Create a Registry Backup & System Restore Point
To do so, follow the below-listed steps:
- In the first place, save a Windows registry backup
- Go to Registry Editor and hit Computer located on the left side
- Select File and then click Export and finally, click on Save
- Create a restore point to save the changes made in the Registry
- Wait for the process to end and click OK on completion
Check if QuickBooks error is fixed, if not then move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Configure User Permission to Update the Registry Key
Follow the below-listed steps to get the job done:
- Click Windows Start icon and type “regedit” in the search area then hit OK
- On locating, right-click on “regedit” and select Run As Administrator option from the list
- Now double-click HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG folder in the left pan
- Right-click the Software folder and select Permissions
- As the result of your previous action, a new window will pop up where you need to assign the Full Control to the Users and click OK to finish accomplish the task
If QuickBooks printer not activated error code 20 Printer not activated issue continues to occur while printing from QuickBooks, then jump to the next method.
Solution 3: Configure Print Spooler Service
Print Spooler service can resolve the printing problems with the printer connected to a Windows computer. If nothing comes out of the printer on giving the Print command, it means the Print Spooler service needs to be configured.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc in the blank space and hit Enter
- Now locate and right-click Print Spooler Service from the list of the services and select Properties
- Next, stop the Print Spooler Service
- Navigate through the Startup Type dropdown and select Automatic
- Click Start for Print Spooler Service
Try to print again from QuickBooks to check whether QuickBooks Printer not activated error code 20 for Windows 10 is fixed or not. If it continues, try the next solution.
Solution 4: Run QuickBooks PDF Component QBprint.qbp File Repair
To repair QBprint.qbp file, perform the following steps:
- From within Windows Control Panel, go to Programs and Features
- Select QuickBooks from the list of the programs
- Click Change and follow the instructions carefully to perform the repair process
- Restart QuickBooks after completing the repair process
- Try to print from QuickBooks again or Save a PDF
QuickBooks Printer Error Code 20 Continues!
If you still get the QuickBooks printer not activated error code 20 even after trying all the troubleshooting procedures, then dial our QuickBooks error support phone number 1.800.579.9430 to avoid further annoyance. Our certified experts will take charge of the QuickBooks error 20 and fix it promptly.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 20 while Printer Activation
Have you ever run into an error where after updating Windows to a higher version your printer started giving an error message “Printer not Activated, Error code -20”. The error pops up on the screen whenever a user tries to print a pay slip, form or a pdf using QuickBooks Desktop application. Some users have also experienced this error while emailing invoices to their customers. Once the user click the OK button on the error message window, the system displays “Could not print to printer. Check your printer selection. Printing may have been canceled from another program”. In this article, we will be discussing the QuickBooks error 20 causing factors and its troubleshooting method.
If you failed to get the error 20 fixed in QuickBooks, reach Customer Support at 1.800.579.0391 for instant help
What Causes QuickBooks to Encounter PDF Converter Activation Error 20
Multiple reasons cause QuickBooks PDF Converter Activation Error -20 to display on Windows with error message “You cannot print directly to the QuickBooks PDF Converter. Try using QuickBooks Save as PDF menu option”
- QuickBooks PDF converter is not appropriately configured.
- QuickBooks version you are using is not compatible with the windows you are using.
- Outdated Windows and QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Windows has registry errors.
- Incomplete or corrupt installation of QB software.
Critical Points to Examine before Rectifying Printer not activated error code -20
- Make sure you are not using a discontinued version of QuickBooks, every QuickBooks version is good for 3 years from the year it is launched.
- If you have updated Windows rather than installing a fresh one then consider reinstalling a fresh copy Windows on your system.
- Make sure to update QuickBooks Desktop software and Windows drivers.
- Ensure that you are logged in as an administrator on Windows.
- If you have two different versions of QuickBooks installed on your Windows, then make sure that both of them have different installation directories.
- Try installing the 32-bit version of Windows if you are using Windows XP or Vista.
In-depth Troubleshooting Instructions to Fix PDF Creation Problem Error 20 in QuickBooks
Troubleshooting Step 1: Stop UAC (User Account Control) from Monitoring Application on Windows
- Press Windows + R key on the keyboard and type Control Panel inside the Run window.
- Hit OK and click User Accounts under Control Panel.
- Now select Change User Access Control Settings and move the slider to Never to Notify.
- Hit OK and restart your computer.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Switch to Built in Administrator account to Fix Printer not Activated Error 20
For detailed information follow article 3 Ways to Enable Administrator Account in Windows.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Delete qbprint.qbp & wpr.ini Files from QuickBooks Installation Folder
- Open Windows File Manager and navigate to C:\Program Data \Intuit \QuickBooks folder.
- Right-click and delete qbprint.qbp & wpr.ini files from the QuickBooks folder.
- Now delete qbprint.qbp & wpr.ini files from C:\Users \All Users \Intuit \QuickBooks folder.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Run QuickBooks Desktop Print and PDF Repair Tool
Follow the instructions mentioned in our article on Using Print Repair Tool to remove any misconfiguration and printing errors in QuickBooks automatically.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Check Default Email Program in Windows Registry for Repairing Error 20 while emailing invoices
- Press Windows + R key together, type command Regedit, and press OK.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Clients -> Mail.
- At the left side panel, check the default email name, if it is not the default email program you are using then double-click the Default section and type the name of your email program.
- Hit OK and then Restart Windows.
Troubleshooting Step 6: Activate Windows Print Spooler Service
- Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together and type services.msc in Run window.
- Press Enter and search for the Print Spooler service in the services list.
- Right click the Print Spooler service and select Start.
- Try printing any document using QuickBooks again.
Troubleshooting Step 7: Reinstall QuickBooks using QB Clean Install Tool
Follow our article on QuickBooks Desktop Clean Install Tool for detailed instructions to perform a clean installation of QuickBooks Desktop on Windows computers.
Troubleshooting Step 8: Set Full Control Access for the Software Folder in Windows Registry
- Hit the Start button on your keyboard and type Regedit.
- Right click the Regedit icon and select Run as Administrator.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG folder and right click the Software folder inside it.
- Select Permissions and check Full Control for the Users.
- Click OK and close Registry Editor.
- Open QuickBooks and try to print a pdf to check if you are still getting error 20 in QuickBooks or the problem is resolved.
In case the problem persists then don’t panic as we are always here for the help, we understand that editing Windows registry requires a deep understanding of Windows operating system and not all QuickBooks users are proficient in this task. You can always reach us at our Error Support Number 1.800.579.0391 to connect with one of our QuickBooks Desktop experts who will immediately rectify QuickBooks Error 20 for you in the shortest time possible.