QuickBooks is one of the most popular accounting software available in the world. With its powerful features, it has changed the way accounting and bookkeeping has done. This software is specially designed for small and medium businesses. Due to its amazing features most organizations have been highly benefited, especially in the sphere of financial management. What is best about QuickBooks is it is easy to use and if one is a novice then they can just follow the guidelines available in the internet.
Steps to Set Maximum Number of QuickBooks Company file
- First thing to do is open QuickBooks and then ‘login‘ to any file on the server.
- Now go to the ‘File‘ then ‘Open Previous Company‘ and then ‘Set number of previous companies‘
Important: Be informed that the Set Number of the previous file is available only when the Server has more than two QuickBooks.
- After this on the dialogue box choose the number of files that you want to set.
- Finally click on “Ok” and then close the QuickBooks and again “Reopen‘ it.
I hope these quick steps helped you to set maximum number of QuickBooks Company files. If you aren’t able to set maximum number of QB company files. Then you can take help from our well-experienced QuickBooks Customer Support team. Contact us at +1-888-300-3913 and our Intuit Certified ProAdvisors will provide you QuickBooks training, tutorials, online courses and much more.
How to Set Maximum Number of QuickBooks Company Files
Just follow the underlying steps to get the desired result:
1) Open QuickBooks and Login to any file on the server.
2) Go To File > Open Previous Company > Set number of previous companies.
(Note: The option ‘Set number’ of the previous file is available only when the Server has two or more QuickBooks Files and you are logged into one of them)
3) On the dialog box that follows, select the number of files as desired, eg 2.
4) Click on OK. Close the QuickBooks and Re-open.
QuickBooks Tip – How Much Data Can QuickBooks Hold?
How much data can your QuickBooks company file hold before it becomes “stuffed”, overflowing like a file cabinet, and SLOW? This is a very good question that most people don’t take into consideration — well because it’s software and should hold an unlimited amount of data.
QuickBooks Pro and Premier are designed for small businesses with 20 or fewer employees and annual revenues of less than $1 million per year, according to the latest information from the ProAdvisor certification study materials. It is intended to store at least 2 years of detailed information in a company file – this allows you to compare your current business years performance with that of a previous year.
Quickbooks Enterprise is designed for larger businesses having 20-250 employees, needing up to 30 simultaneous users, stricter user access to financial information with 115 different permission settings, want to connect multiple locations, perhaps have remote workers, need to combine financial statements from multiple company files, and have more than $1 million in annual revenue.
How fast a QuickBooks file grows varies significantly from one company to another. there is no “average” or “typical” company file size, since every business tracks different information.
How quickly a data file grows to “overflowing” will depend on the number of transactions that are entered, the amount of information entered per transaction, and the number of “links” per transaction.
For example, a company that enters 500 1-line invoices per month might find that their data file is smaller than another company that enters 100 5-line invoices per month. Another example would be a company who usually receives 5 separate payments per invoice would have a larger data file than a company who receives one payment per invoice.
A good way to estimate the growth of your QuickBooks company file is to take the average number of monthly transactions (keeping in mind that an invoice, a payment and a deposit represent 3 separate transactions; while a bill and a bill payment represent 2 transactions), and multiply that by 2 KB to determine approximately how much your file will grow each month. You can then take the monthly amount and multiply it by 12 to determine an estimated yearly data file size.
According to Intuit, QuickBooks can handle a maximum or 2 billion transactions, however, they do not state which version, (Pro, Premier, or Enterprise) this figure applies to.
In addition to estimated annual file growth and a maximum number of transaction that QuickBooks can handle, business owners must also take into consideration the maximum number of List items that QuickBooks can can accommodate.
The table below indicates the maximum number of items that can be held in individual and combines lists.
|List Name||Maximum Number of Items|
(Simple Start, Pro, Premier)
|Maximum Number of Items|
|Chart of Accounts||10,000||10,000|
|Items, including Inventory Items|
Group Items can contain 20 individual items
(29,000 in version 6.0 & earlier)
|Payroll Items per Employee Record||25||100|
|A/R & A/P Terms – TOTAL||10,000||29,000|
|To Do Notes||10,000||10,000|
|Total Names – Employees, Customers,|
Vendors, Unit of Measures and Other
Names – COMBINED
(29,000 in version 6.0 and earlier)
|Sales Tax Codes||10,000||10,000|
|Billing Rate Levels||100||100|
|Fixed Asset Items||10,000||10,000|
|Units of Measure||10,000||10,000|
|Ship To Addresses||Unlimited (?)||Unlimited (?)|
Additional resources from around the web:
- Danger Danger – Your QuickBooks File May Implode – by Scott Gregory
- How to Repair QuickBooks Files – by Shannon Tucker
How Many Customers and Inventory Items Can I Have in QuickBooks?
When you log in to your QuickBooks company file and press the F2 key, it will display a screen showing the list totals of each type it tracks.
QuickBooks Pro & Premier versions are capable of handling 14,500 list items.
QuickBooks Enterprise is capable of up to 100,000 and more.
It is critical to know that QuickBooks has limits to the number of customers, vendors, inventory items and related information it can store. While many businesses will never approach these limits, others need to monitor their QuickBooks usage carefully and plan an upgrade path.
Here is a quick recap of selected list limits (full list here):
QuickBooks “Pro” and “Premier” versions:
- Customers, Vendors, Employees and Other Names: Limit = 14,500. This is a combined limit – the total of ALL of these lists cannot exceed 14,500.
- Items in the item list: Limit = 14,500. This is all types of items – inventory items, non-inventory items, inventory assemblies, etc.
- Price levels: Limit = 100
- Chart of accounts: Limit = 10,000
QuickBooks “Enterprise” version:
- Customers, Vendors, Employees and Other Names: Limit = > 100,000*. This is a combined limit as mentioned above.
- Items in the item list: Limit = > 100,000*. This is all types of items – inventory items, non-inventory items, inventory assemblies, etc.
- Price levels: Limit = 100
- Chart of accounts: Limit = 10,000
*According to the QuickBooks Enterprise web site, they indicate that you could add up to 1 million listings in these areas. In addition, they note that some performance degradation is likely as you approach this upper limit. In reality, I would plan on capping out your customers and item lists in the Enterprise version at 100,000 based on my observations of clients using extremely large lists like these. (I am quite skeptical that they have any clients running QuickBooks files with list sizes anywhere near 1 million entries).
Avoid the Surprise!!
There are no advance warnings provided within QuickBooks (that I know of) to indicate you are approaching the list limits above. One day, you’ll simply try to add another customer (or inventory item) and QuickBooks will say “sorry, can’t help you”. That is not the way you want your day to go!
Options If You Hit the Limit
If you max out a list, what are your options?
- Delete – if you have items, customers, etc. with NO activity associated with them, you can delete them from your list and free up some capacity. BUT, if there is activity tied in, you cannot delete the item. Making it inactive does NOT free up any space in your list to add new entries.
- Clean Up Company Data – this QuickBooks utility may buy you some extra space in your lists. Found under the File > Utilities menu, you can run this tool to see how much extra list capacity it buys you. Keep in mind that there are other potentially negative issues around the use of this tool (you are taking some of your accounting history out of your main QuickBooks data file and archiving it), so plan carefully.
- Move up to QuickBooks Enterprise – if you are currently using QuickBooks Pro or Premier, the natural (and seamless) upgrade path to increase your list capacity is to move to Enterprise. In fact, that is one of the reasons why Enterprise was created – to give those businesses that are growing an easy and budget-friendly solution.
- Move to a QuickBooks add-on -if you are already using QuickBooks Enterprise and still need more capacity, there is good news. You can use a QuickBooks add-on such as Acctivate or FishBowl Inventory to address the list limits, and still keep QuickBooks for your core accounting activities.
Maximum number of list entries In QuickBooks Desktop (list limits and custom fields)
This article will provide you the information about the maximum number of list entries that you can create within the QuickBooks Desktop.
The mentioned sections in this article will provide you the maximum number of list entries you can have in QuickBooks software. This will be beneficial for you because it’ll help you to manage your company data more efficiently. You can contact the QuickBooks Support team of Intuit to know more about list entries in QB Desktop.
Important: If you are using QuickBooks Desktop Pro or Premier version and you want to insert additional entries then you will have to upgrade to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise version. You can connect with the Intuit QuickBooks Support by dialing the toll-free +1805-900-6410 to upgrade to the Enterprise version of QuickBooks.
List limits for QuickBooks Desktop for Windows
|List name||Max number of entries (Pro, Premier)||Max number of entries (Enterprise)|
|Chart of Accounts||10,000||100,000|
|Total names: Employees Customers, Vendors, and Other Names combined||14 500 (individual limits of each list is 10 500||>100,000|
|Items, including inventory items (group items can contain only 20 individual items)||14,500||>100,000|
|Items in an inventory assembly or sub-assembly||100||500|
|Terms for receivables and payables||10,000||29,000|
|Ship To addresses||10,000||10,000|
|To Do notes||10,000||100,000|
|Sales Tax Codes||10,000||10,000|
|Group Items & Sales Tax Group Items||50||50|
|Advanced Inventory Sites||N/A||1,000,000|
|Advanced Pricing Price Rules||N/A||100,000|
|Contacts||No limit||No limit|
|Item custom field||5||15|
|Customers/Vendors/Employees custom fields||15||30|
In QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 14.0 and later versions, you get the benefit to add up-to one million names and items. However, you may face some performance issues as your lists reaches to their size limit.
You can press the F2 key or CTRL + 1 and check the List Information section or the File Size from the File Information section.
For custom fields, the table provides totals that are a combination of the allowable custom fields for customers, vendors, and employees:
- Pro/Premier: You get 15 customer fields, but it can’t exceed more that 7 per category.
- Enterprise Solutions: You get 30 custom fields and you get only 12 fields per category.
List Limit For QuickBooks Desktop For MAC
Go through the following table to find the maximum number of entries of specific lists.
Some of the items under the list were unavailable in the earlier versions of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
|List name||Max number of entries|
|Chart of Accounts||10,000|
|Items, including inventory items(Group items can only contain 20 individual items)||14,500|
|A/R Terms and A/P Terms added together||10,000|
|To Do List||10,000|
|Names added together (Employees, Customers, Vendors, and Other Names)||14,500|
Names added together: All the mentioned lists can contain up to 10,000 names and list but they can’t exceed 14,500.
QuickBooks is specially designed for businesses that have around 20 employees and revenue of below two million US dollars. QuickBooks is the best accounting tool to keep around two years of detailed transactions in a company data file so that you can run comparative reports and have prior-year project information.
The growth of QuickBooks Company file size depends on the nature of the industry and your business. The growth of file size basically depends on the number of transactions, the number of information entered in the transactions and the number of links per transaction.
If you are facing performance issues in your QuickBooks Desktop due to the excessive number of names or items in your list then you need to use the condense data utility to resolve the issues.
Prior to condensing your company file, it’ll be beneficial for you to know about the Condensing data process through the QuickBooks User’s Guide or you can contact the technical support team of getsupportnumber.com. For this, you need to dial the toll-free QuickBooks Customer Service Phone Number +1-888-300-3913 and the technical support executive will be connected to you in no time.
QuickBooks File Too Large: Resolve QuickBooks Company File Issues
QuickBooks allows you to manage all your important financial tasks and helps you to grow your business. However, you may face some errors or issues when the size of your company files reaches the maximum limit or about to reach the maximum limit. There can be various issues that you can face due to the file size issues but mostly you will get an error from the 6000 error series that represents the company file errors.
QuickBooks Company files contains all your financial data and the data keep on increasing as you work on the QuickBooks company file. As the file size increases, you may start facing several issues and one of them is the performance related issue that slows down your workflow.
QuickBooks File Running Slow
Intuit has assigned particular file size to each version of QuickBooks Desktop. As soon as the file size limit crosses, you start facing various errors and issues in your QuickBooks software.
- QuickBooks Pro edition allows up-to 300 MB.
- QuickBooks Premier edition allows up-to 500 MB.
- QuickBooks Enterprise allows up-to 750 MB data.
Once the size limit exceeds, you will face issues during various tasks such as processing payroll, generating report, processing a transaction. If you don’t address this issue as soon as possible then you can even lose your data.
Why QuickBooks File Taking Too Much Space
QuickBooks company file contains all the important data of your business and a large amount of data transfer is done while recording a single transaction, name, account, invoices, receipts etc.If you are using QuickBooks from a long period of time, let’s say 5 or 6 years then your QuickBooks files will automatically become heavier. QuickBooks allows you to access the company file for 5 to 10 years and after that you will have to clean your data files.
Issues, Problem, Errors Comes Due To Bing Size QuickBooks Files.
- Large data files make your transaction and other processes slower which can make it difficult for you to process a report.
- Your QuickBooks application start getting crashed
- Your data files can increase the risk of losing your entire QuickBooks data.
- Large data files won’t allow you to create a successful backup of your QuickBooks company file.
Fix QuickBooks Desktop Performance Issues Due To Bigger Size Of QuickBooks File
There are multiple options to that you can perform to resolve the file size issues. Well, one the best option to resolve this issue is to get in touch with the QuickBooks Enterprise Support Phone Number +1800-801-4164. With this technical support service, you can get instant support for all your issues and you will be able to use QuickBooks without any issue. You can also try to upgrade your system configuration to resolve this error.
Well, if you are looking for the manual steps then you can perform following steps:
- Condense/Archive Or Data File Clean Up: You can reduce up-to 700 MB of storage if you are using QuickBooks 2012 or earlier versions. You need to use the Clean Up utility and you can use it by going into File > Utilities > Clean up Company Data.
- Start With New Data File:If you still face same issue then you need to create a new QuickBooks Company File by copying the old transactions. Before creating a new file, you need to make sure that all the transactions, Account Receivable and Account Payable are up-to-date. You also need to remove all the irrelevant transactions as well.
- File Conversion Services: You can connect with us at QuickBooks Customer Service Number +1800-801-4164 to get the file conversion services.
- Start With New QuickBooks: Install your QuickBooks on a new system or use QuickBooks cloud services to store your data files on cloud storage.
Technical Support For QuickBooks Company File Errors
Hopefully, you find this article helpful and you are now able to resolve the QuickBooks file size issues. However, sometimes you can even face data damage issues due to these oversized files. In such cases, you will have to get in touch with us at our toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1-888-300-3913 and get data services from the official and certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors.