Congratulations if you just purchased a new PC or possibly upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10! Many applications may already be downloaded for you on your new PC such as Skype, Outlook or Word but you may ask yourself what about QuickBooks? In this article, we’ll help you through that process by answering some common questions such as:
Can I transfer my QuickBooks license to another computer?
How to transfer QuickBooks Desktop to another computer?
Can I use the QuickBooks Migration Tool?
Can I Transfer My QuickBooks License to Another Computer?
Yes, you can always transfer QuickBooks license from one computer to another. Before beginning the transfer process, Intuit recommends you first find your QuickBooks license number and product number. To find these on the original computer, open QuickBooks, Select Help, then select About QuickBooks. The popup window will include your license number and product number.
How to Transfer QuickBooks License from One Computer to Another
Once you have your license number and product key, you’re ready to learn how to transfer QuickBooks Desktop to another computer. If you have an installation disk, you can insert it into the new computer and follow the wizard setup steps.
You can also install QuickBooks on a new computer without disk installation. To do so, visit https://downloads.quickbooks.com/app/qbdt/products and download your QuickBooks version. Save the download file where you can easily find it to run and install. Once downloaded, follow Intuit’s instructions:
- Click the downloaded QuickBooks executable (QuickBooks.exe).
- Follow the onscreen instructions and accept the license agreement. Press Next.
- Enter the product and license number, then push Next.
- Activate QuickBooks by opening the application.
- From the Help menu, select Activate QuickBooks Desktop.
- Follow the steps on the screen to verify your info.
Now that we’ve walked you through the process of how to transfer QuickBooks desktop to another computer, you can copy your file over and begin working.
QuickBooks Migration Tool
If you are using a US version of QuickBooks Desktop 2018 or newer, you can use the QuickBooks Migration Tool. The QuickBooks Migration Tool will walk you through the process of how to transfer QuickBooks desktop to another computer as well as copy up to three company files. To use the QuickBooks Migration Tool, you’ll need a USB flash drive and both PCs connected to the Internet.
Intuit provides instructions to use the QuickBooks Migration Tool first starting with the old computer:
- From QuickBooks, go to the File menu, select Utilities and then select Move QuickBooks to another computer.
- Select I’m Ready, then create a one-time password.
- Follow the instructions to choose the USB flash drive you’ll use. Then wait for the files to be copied.
Once done, you can move to the new computer and follow these steps:
- Insert the USB flash drive. Due to Windows security restrictions, the QuickBooks Migrator Tool won’t automatically launch.
- Open the flash drive to view its files and double-click the file Move_QuickBooks.bat to start the migrator.
- Enter the password you created, then select Let’s go.
- Wait for the Migrator Tool to finish. Note: This will depend on the speed of your computer and internet, and the size of your company file(s).
How to Transfer QuickBooks Desktop to another Computer with Qbox!
Qbox is a cloud-enabled collaboration software that helps users share files over the Internet. Files in the Qbox folders on one user’s Windows computer, are synced to the Qbox cloud server and then to the shared users’ Windows computers. If you purchase a new computer, there’s no need to find your latest backup or USB files over. Qbox will automatically transfer data from one QuickBooks to another by automatically syncing your files from the cloud to the new PC.
Transfer QuickBooks to New Computer
There could be several reasons for you wanting to transfer QuickBooks to new computer along with the license. The procedure of transferring QuickBooks to a new computer is not a complicated one. That is, if you know the correct procedure and follow the right steps. You can transfer a backup of your old computer’s QuickBooks file once you have installed a newer or the same version of QuickBooks on your new computer. You can continue to track scheduled payments to vendors, your rent, and the record of all your business income and expenses once the backup process has been completed.
The objective of this article to provide you with the steps that you must undertake in order to move QuickBooks to a new computer.
Steps to Transfer QuickBooks to New Computer
If you are operating on the currently supported versions of QuickBooks, then you can create a backup from within your QuickBooks software that will save almost everything that you need to restore your Company file on a new (different) computer. Additionally, if you aren’t already creating regular backups of your QuickBooks files, you should do so each time you update your account files to ensure you don’t lose valuable financial data. However, transferring QuickBooks to a new computer requires that you perform the proper steps, otherwise all your data might get lost.
The following are the steps that you must follow in order to transfer QuickBooks to a new computer:
- To begin with, you will need to create a backup of all your data files and licenses.
- Then, you will have to download the backup onto a new computer.
- Install your QuickBooks program on your new system securely after you are done with the previous maneuver.
- Next, restore all the backup files that you need within QuickBooks.
- Finally, delete the program from the older system.
Steps to Restore a Backup File on your New Computer
You will need to perform the following steps to restore the backup file so you can use it on your new computer:
- Firstly, insert your personal storage device into the new computer and open QuickBooks.
- Navigate to the File section.
- Select the option of ‘Open or Restore Company’.
- Next, you will need to click on ‘Restore a Backup Copy’ and click on the ‘Next’ option.
- Then, you must click on the ‘Local Backup’ file as the location to save your backup file and then click on next.
- Navigate to the location of the external device and click on the backup file if QuickBooks does not automatically detect the backup file.
- After that, click to open up the backup file. Click on the ‘Save’ option and then scroll to the location on your computer where you want to restore and save the backup file.
- Finally, click on the ‘Save’ option to restore the QuickBooks file to your new computer.
Now, there are certain measures that you must undertake after you have successfully transferred QuickBooks to a new computer.
Steps to follow after Moving QuickBooks to a New or a Different Computer
These are the steps that you will need to perform after you have moved your QuickBooks to a different computer and in order to make sure everything is operating fine:
- To begin with, you will need to sign in into each service separately in order to use all the features of QuickBooks Desktop like Intuit Data Protect and Payroll.
- Then, you will have to copy the other company files to the new computer using an external storage device in case you have, more than one company files.
- Finally, you must make sure that you create a backup of your company file data on the new computer where you have transferred your QuickBooks program to complete the process.
How to Move QuickBooks Desktop to a New Computer – The Right Way
There could be several reasons you might want to move your QuickBooks Desktop application to a different computer along with the license, and in this article, we are going to discuss the whole process in details. The process of transferring the QuickBooks Desktop application to a different computer is not complex unless you know the right method and follow the correct instructions. Further, in this article, you will find the requirements and step-by-step instructions of installing QuickBooks to a different computer along with this you will also find the additional steps you need to take after moving QuickBooks Desktop to the other computer.
Call Desktop Support Number +1-888-300-3913 and Get Help of an Expert Transferring QuickBooks Desktop to a Different Computer
Requirements of Moving QuickBooks Desktop to a Different Computer
Before starting the process of moving QuickBooks to a different computer, make sure to have the following things ready:
- Make sure the other computer on which you want to install QuickBooks Desktop is connected to the internet, as you will need to register the product after the installation.
- An external storage device that you will need to move your QuickBooks Desktop files (For Example: a USB storage device or an external hard disk).
- License and Product registration information.
- QuickBooks Desktop installation disk or the setup file on an external storage device.
- Remove QuickBooks Desktop from the first computer.
- Make sure to take a backup of your QuickBooks company file.
Using QuickBooks Migrator Tool to Transfer QuickBooks to a Different Computer
Steps to Perform on Old Computer
- Make sure to sign in as an administrator on your computer.
- Plugin the USB drive to the computer.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and from under the File tab click Move QuickBooks to another Computer.
- Click I’m Ready and choose a strong password.
- Now select the USB drive to copy all the files that need to be moved to the other computer.
- Wait until the file copy process completes and then safely remove the USB drive from the computer.
Steps to Perform on New Computer
- Insert the USB drive and wait until the QuickBooks Migrator tool automatically appear, if not then click the Move_QuickBooks.bat file from the USB drive.
- Now enter the password that you set up while moving files on the old computer.
- Click Let’s go and wait for the tool to complete the QuickBooks migration task.
- It might take a while if your computer’s performance is low.
- After the installation, open QuickBooks and from under the Help tab click Register QuickBooks.
- Enter all the required information for the registration like phone number, postal code, and license key and register the product.
Steps to follow after Moving QuickBooks to the Other Computer
- In order to use all the feature of QuickBooks Desktop like Payroll and Intuit® Data Protect you will need to sign in into each service separately.
- If you have, more than one company files, then copy the other company files to the new computer using an external storage device.
- Make sure to create a backup of your company file data on the new computer.
There are certain difficulties you might face after moving QuickBooks to the other computer, as the migration process does not transfer all the QuickBooks data. If you have successfully transferred your QuickBooks Desktop to a new computer and now you are dealing with errors or any difficulties then get in touch with us at our Desktop Helpline Number +1-888-300-3913 for assistance.
Transfer QuickBooks to New PC with 100% Working Methods
I got a new computer, how do I transfer QuickBooks to the new PC?
“Hello, does anyone know how to transfer the QuickBooks and files to another new PC?
I recently got a new computer, and it works great. I’ve moved most files from my old computer to the new PC, but some installed programs are still on the old PC. And QuickBooks is one of them.
The problem is that I must use QuickBooks every day and I can’t keep both new and old computer on my desk.
So I want to know is there a way that can help me move and transfer the QuickBooks with data files to my new PC? How?“
How to Transfer QuickBooks to A New PC?
QuickBooks is a popular accounting app for many small and medium-sized companies which use it to pay invoices, pay or accept payments and much more online. Right now, QuickBooks has already owned more than 4 million businesses users signed for a free trial. With the growing number of QuickBooks users, a variety of problems by using QuickBooks would occur almost every day. And how to transfer QuickBooks to a new PC is one of the top issues to most ordinary users.
What will you do when you need to transfer the QuickBooks to another new computer in Windows 10/9/8? Do you know how to move the QuickBooks App wthe ith data folder to a new machine? We’ve collected two 100% working methods listed below for you to transfer QuickBooks to a new PC without losing any files and data:
Question: How about the QuickBooks license?
Both two methods provided here can’t transfer the activation license of your QuickBooks to the new computer. So we highly recommend you to find and backup the license first before you do the transferring job.
You can then use the activation license to activate this software and continue using it for accounting again. If QuickBooks doesn’t activate with the license, you can try to contact the QuickBooks support team for help after the transferring process.
Let’s see how to transfer your QuickBooks to a new computer in Windows 10, 8 or 7 without losing any files now:
Method 1. Transfer QuickBooks with files to new PC using PC transfer software (easy)
If you prefer a risk-free and efficient way to move and transfer the QuickBooks App with files to another new computer without reinstallation, powerful PC transfer software – EaseUS Todo PCTrans can assist you to resolve this issue with a few simple clicks.
You can just download, install it on both of your two computers (old PC with QuickBooks and a new computer) and activate it for transferring all QuickBooks files to the new PC at one time now: Free Download
Support Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP
Step 1. Select the transfer mode.
- Download and install EaseUS Todo PCTrans on both PCs.
- Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans on the computers and click “PC to PC” on one of them.
Step 2. Connect the PCs.
- Choose the other PC by its name or IP address and then input the account password or verification code of the target PC.
- Check the verification code on the right top of the “PC to PC” main screen on the target PC.
- Specify the transfer direction and click “Connect”.
Step 3. Choose QuickBooks to transfer.
- Hover on “Applications” and choose “Edit”.
- In the list of applications, choose “QuickBooks” and click “Finish”.
Step 4. Transfer QuickBooks from PC to PC.
- After selecting the application, click “Transfer” to start transferring QuickBooks from one PC to another.
- When it has done, click “OK”.
Note: This PC transfer software will transfer the QuickBooks to the default location on your PC (usually C: drive) and create a shortcut on your desktop if you’ve got one on your old PC.
Method 2. Manually move QuickBooks with files to new PC (complicated)
If you don’t want to refer to any transferring software for help, but you prefer to do the job on your own. You can choose the manual way to move and transfer your QuickBooks with files to a new PC with more complicated steps.
You can try the below guidelines and move your QuickBooks to the new computer now:
Step 1. Move QuickBooks software application to new PC (reinstall)
1. Take the QuickBooks CD or the installation file that you downloaded or purchased to your new computer.
2. Follow the installation wizard to install it on the new computer.
3. Do remember to update the QuickBooks when the program prompts to ask you to install the latest version on your new computer.
Step 2. Transfer your QuickBooks data file from old computer to new PC
1. Go to your old PC and open QuickBooks on it, click “File” > Open”Previous Company”.
This will guide you to locate the QuickBooks data files and do remember the exact name of the listed files.
2. Navigate to the location and copy the files to an external flash drive or memory card.
3. Plug the external flash drive to your new PC and create a new folder on your computer called QuickBooks Data and copy the files from the flash drive to the new folder.
4. Open QuickBooks on your new PC, click”File” > Open or Restore “Company”and locate the new file you created.
And you can use those business files on this software again now.
NOTICE: During the process, the program may ask you to activate or purchase QuickBooks. Try the license first, if it doesn’t work. Contact the QuickBooks tech support team for assistance.
They will be available to help you out of this activation issue.
Transfer QuickBooks from Old Computer to a New Computer
When a user is working on QuickBooks software, there comes a time when he wants to transfer the QuickBooks from old computer to new computer. There can be any reason behind this decision. A user can easily use the migratory tool to transfer QuickBooks software from his old to new computer with maximum three files, and if the user is using a US version of single-user QB desktop. When a user wants to do this, he should follow the steps below to reinstall or move the QB Desktop installation:
- Ensure that you have product and license information
- Uninstall your QuickBooks in order to reinstall it
- Download QB Installation files or you can also insert QB installation CD in your new PC
- Then, install QuickBooks.
For a chance, if you have QuickBooks license and product number but do not have QB installation files, then you can download them from Intuit website.
When a user re-installs or transfers QuickBooks to the new computer, then registration is required. User can register following the below steps:
- Go to ‘Help‘ in QuickBooks menu bar
- Click on ‘Register QuickBooks‘
- Enter ‘business phone number‘ and ‘postal code‘
- Once the information is complete, your QuickBooks will be registered
- Intuit will also record your ‘registration details‘ for the new computer
- If you registered from this PC earlier, then you are not required to register again.
- As you have transferred QuickBooks from one to another PC, then you will also have to transfer company files. You can copy these files to the new PC once the QB is installed properly.
How to transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another using Migrator Tool?
Migrator tool is one of great features of the QuickBooks software. A user can complete the process of transfer in just few clicks due to this feature only.
How does migrator tool work to transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another?
Migrator Tool is also known as Move QuickBooks tool. This tool can be accessed only if you are an Admin user. You will need to create a complex password and need to remember it by writing it somewhere, however, it is required only once.
The migratory tool will allow you to copy max three company files in the USB flash drive along with the supporting documents. Pen drive will physically move the files and the migratory tool will do technical work in background. The tool will also download the right version of QuickBooks Desktop in the new computer and will aid in setting up all the files.
Note: Using migratory tool will not delete any file or reformat your system.
Requirements of migratory tool to transfer QuickBooks to new computer:
- There should be internet connection to new computer.
- Pen drive should have good amount of empty space. Free space around 150-200 MB is required usually.
Data which gets copied through migratory tool while moving QB to new PC:
All the data required to run QuickBooks Desktop gets copied, however, the list is as below:
- Version and other QB Desktop details
- Recent company files- max 3 files with supporting documents
- All other related files and custom templates and forms
- QB templates and letters
- Local attachments
- Memorized reports
- Spell checker
- Printer settings
- Financial Statement Designer
- Layout designer
- Business planner (.bpw)
- Cash flow
- Statement writer
- QB Loan Manager (.lmr)
- Advanced reports (for QB Enterprise)
What is not copied using migratory tool when QuickBooks is transferred from old to new computer?
- Multi-user set configuration.
- Payroll or payments services set up in QuickBooks will not be copied as per Intuit policy to protect data.
- Intuit Data Protect needs to be uninstalled in the old PC and reinstalled in the new PC
- Company files which have not been recently opened will not be copied.
- Manual backups created by the user will not be copied.
Below given are the steps to use migratory tool:
On Old Computer:
- Go to ‘File menu‘ in QuickBooks menu bar
- Select ‘Utilities‘
- Find ‘Move QuickBooks’ to another computer and then, click on it.
- After that, click on ‘I am Ready’, and create one-time password
- Choose ‘pen drive‘ to use
- Wait when files get copied
On the New Computer:
- Insert pen drive
- Find ‘Move_QuickBooks.bat’ file on pen drive and run it.
- Enter password that you created
- Click on ‘Let’s go‘
- Migrator tool will now do its work.
There is no fix time on how much time will it take to complete the process. It completely depends on the internet speed and size of company file.