Get the method of Installing multiple QuickBooks desktop versions on one system
Installing multiple versions and editions of QuickBooks desktop on one system doesn’t involve any rocket science. In case you have used QuickBooks for a while, or you are an accountant with lots of clients, then you might use newer or older version of QuickBooks desktop. You can have multiple editions as well as versions on the same system. All it takes is some specific steps to install each of the version or edition one at a time.
In case you require to reinstall or move QuickBooks to another system, we will show you how you use the migrator tool. Just read this post carefully till the end, to unleash the further details. Or you can simplify the process connecting with our accounting professionals and leave the rest on them.
You may also read: Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop
- Version: Basically, a version is the numeric notation of the product’s release. For Example: QuickBooks desktop 2018 and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 18.0.
- Region: A region refers to a specific location, such an United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
- Edition: The term edition refers to the set of features included in a product. The examples of this include: Pro, Premier, and Enterprise.
- Flavor: By flavor it is meant an industry-specific set of sub-features of a product. For Example: Contractor’s, Non-Profit, and retail.
Important points to remember
There are certain points that the user should consider before beginning with the processes:
- Users can work in multiple versions of QuickBooks desktop at the same time. In case they are working in premier 2019, users can also open premier 2018. It should be noted that users can open the same version of premier and enterprise if you use the accountant edition.
- Also, users can install the same version of QuickBooks desktop pro or premier and enterprise.
- Another important point to remember is that users can only install one industry specific edition of QuickBooks desktop for each version. This means that you can have either QuickBooks desktop premier 2018 retail or premier 2018 contractor, but not both.
It should be noted that QuickBooks desktop accountant is an industry specific edition. In case you are an accountant, make sure to use the accountant edition to switch to any other industry-specific editions of QuickBooks desktop.
- Users can’t mix and match different regional versions and editions of QuickBooks desktop. In case they need multiple regions on the same system, it is recommended to use a virtual machine or a web hosting service to create an environment for each region.
- Users can’t easily share data or company files between QuickBooks desktop enterprise and pro or premier. They can also can’t share data between different versions of QuickBooks.
It is important to note that if you open a company file in newer version or higher edition of QuickBooks, then it automatically upgrades the company file to the most recent version or highest edition. Once the user upgrades, he/she will no longer be able to open the company file in original version or edition.
Steps to Install multiple versions of QuickBooks desktop
You can use some specific steps to install each version and edition of QuickBooks in single computer. the steps include the following:
- In case you haven’t already, you need to download the version or edition. You need to save the file somewhere it can be easily spotted just as the windows desktop.
- Furthermore, open the QuickBooks.exe that has been downloaded.
- You are required to follow the on-screen instructions. After the installation type is selected, you need to opt for custom and network options. And it is recommended to avoid selecting express.
- Opt for custom network option. In case you plans to use QuickBooks only on the system and not share the files over the network, you are recommended to select I’ll be using QuickBooks desktop on this system. However, if you are setting up a multi-user network, and then select either I’ll be using…..And or I will NOT be using depending on the setup
- Once you installs multiple versions or editions, QuickBooks asks if the user wants to replace what’s currently on the system. It is recommended to avoid replacing anything, unless that’s what the user wants to do. In order to avoid overwriting the data, the user needs to create unique install folders for each version and edition. When the user gets to the upgrade or change installation location window, then he/she is recommended to select change the install location.
- Now, you are recommended to choose browse. And right click the window and create a new folder. Also, avoid selecting the existing QuickBooks folder or any folders that have QuickBooks info.
Note: It is recommended to put the version and edition in the folder name.
- You should follow the rest of the onscreen steps to finish installing.
You need to repeat the steps for each version and edition of QuickBooks to be installed. Also, ensure to install them in their own unique folder.
Update QuickBooks desktop to latest release version
Once the user installs the QuickBooks desktop, he/she needs to run an update to get the latest release:
- In this, you need to move to the help menu
- Choose update QuickBooks desktop and also follow the on-screen instructions
- You can also schedule automatic updates, so you do not have to do that manually.
It should be noted that in case you have multiple editions for the same version, then QuickBooks might not run updates automatically. In order to get most recent updates, updating each version manually is recommended. Also, you can download updates for specific edition.
As we mentioned earlier, installing multiple QuickBooks desktop versions on one system doesn’t involve any rocket science, and we expect that after going through the above processes, you might be successfully able to carry out the task.
Install multiple QuickBooks versions on one computer
You can install and run multiple versions and editions of QuickBooks on the same computer. Different versions can be open at the same time whereas different editions must be opened one at a time.
A version is the numeric notation of the product’s release. Examples are QuickBooks 2013 and Enterprise 13.0.
An edition refers to the set of features included in a product. Examples are Pro, Premier, and Accountant Edition.
Before you install multiple versions, note the following:
- Multiple versions (such as QuickBooks 2014 and 2013) can be used at the same time. When you work in Premier 2014 and need to open Premier 2013, you don’t need to close Premier 2014 before you open Premier 2013.
- Only one QuickBooks edition (such as QuickBooks Premier and Enterprise) can be used at one time. When you work in Premier 2014 and need to open Enterprise 14.0, you must close Premier before you open Enterprise.
- Data files cannot be shared between Enterprise Solutions and other QuickBooks versions, or between different years.
- If you primarily use Premier and want to try out Enterprise Solutions, opening the Premier data file in Enterprise Solutions will irreversibly update the data file so that it can no longer be used in Premier. (To try a different edition, open a sample file in the edition you’re interested in, instead of opening your company file.)
- If you open a Premier 2013 data file in Premier 2014, QuickBooks updates the data file so that it can no longer be used in Premier 2013.
- Steps to install the manual update are different. When you update QuickBooks using a manual update, you are prompted to choose which edition to update when more than one edition is installed.
Note: This information applies to installing different editions of the same version. Use these steps to install more than one version for the same or different editions. Different editions of the same version all use one installation location. As a result, QuickBooks automatically assigns the installation folder when you install a second edition on one computer. To install a second edition, complete the installation as you normally would and allow QuickBooks to set the installation location for you.How to fix it
Install more than one version of QuickBooks on one computer by using different installation folders
- Launch the downloaded version of QuickBooks.
- Change the installation location:
- Select Custom and Network Options and click Next.
- Choose the installation option you prefer and click Next.
- When the Upgrade or Change Installation Location window appears, select the first option to Change the install location.
- (Optional) Click the Browse or Change button if you want to manually select a different installation folder.
- Click Next to continue.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- Use the desktop shortcut QuickBooks created for the version you installed to open that version.
To open a specific edition, use the shortcut QuickBooks added to your desktop for that edition.
How To Install Multiple QuickBooks Desktop Versions On One Computer
In this article, we will be discussing about how to install multiple QuickBooks versions on a single computer. If you are using QuickBooks from a long period of time, or you are an accountant with a bunch of QuickBooks clients, you can use newer and older versions of QuickBooks Desktop.
QuickBooks allows you to use multiple versions (years) and editions (Pro, Premier, Enterprise) on a single system. You need to perform the steps provided in this article to install each version or edition at one time.
Before You Begin With
Before you move onto the solution steps, you need to keep some important things in your mind:
- QuickBooks allows you to work on multiple versions of QuickBooks at same time. If you use QuickBooks Premier 2019, you can also use the Premier 2018 at same time. However, if you are using the Accountant edition, only the same year version of Premier and Enterprise can be used at the same time.
- There is a similar install file for QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Premier. Same version of Pro and Premier can’t be installed on the same system. However, different versions can be installed without any issues. (i.e. Pro 2018 and Premier 2019).
- The same version of QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Premier or Enterprise can easily be installed.
- Only a particular industry-specific edition of QuickBooks Desktop can be installed. This refers that you can either install QuickBooks Premier 2018 Retail or Premier 2018 Contractor as QuickBooks doesn’t allow you to do so.
Note: QuickBooks Desktop Accountant is considered as an industry-specific edition. If you are an accountant, you should be using the Accountant edition if you want to switch to any other industry-specific edition of QuickBooks.
- Different regional versions and editions of QuickBooks can’t be mixed and matched. To use multiple regions of QuickBooks on the same system, you need to use a virtual machine or a web hosting service to create an environment for all regions.
- Company files between QuickBooks Enterprise and QuickBooks Pro or Premier can’t be shared. Also, the data between different versions of QuickBooks.
Important: Opening QuickBooks Company File in a newer or higher edition of QuickBooks will automatically upgrade your QuickBooks company file to the appropriate or latest version. Once you are done with the upgrade, the company file couldn’t be accessed in the earlier version or edition. Learn more about upgrading your company file.
Install Multiple Versions Of QuickBooks
You need to perform the following steps to install each version and edition of QuickBooks Desktop:
- If the version is not installed already, you need to download your version or edition. Save the file to a location that you can remember.
- Run the exe file. Follow the onscreen prompts and select Custom and Network options for the installation type. Make sure you don’t select Express installation type.
- Choose a custom network option. If you want to use QuickBooks on a the current system and don’t want to share over network, click on I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer. If will be setting up a multi-user environment, you can either choose I’ll be using… And or I will NOT be using as per your setup.
- While installing multiple versions or edition, you will be asked whether you want to replace what’s currently on your system. You don’t have to change anything unless it is required. You need to create a separate install folder for each version or edition to avoid any kind of overwriting your data. When you have to Upgrade or Change Installation Location window, click on Change the install location.
- Click on Browse. Right-click on the window and create a new folder. Make sure you don’t choose the existing QuickBooks folder or any other folder that contains any QuickBooks info.
|Tip: It’ll be beneficial for you if you put version and edition in the same folder.|
- Now, follow the onscreen prompts to finish installation.
Follow same steps for each version or edition that you want install. Ensure that the QuickBooks is installed in their own unique folder.
- Open QuickBooks and go to the Help
- Choose Update QuickBooks and follow the onscreen prompts.
You can also choose scheduled automatic updates to avoid updating them manually.
Note: If there are multiple QuickBooks editions but with same year version, you may not get automatic updates from QuickBooks. If you want all the latest updates, you need to update each version manually.
Reach Us For Instant QuickBooks Technical Support
The provided steps should be helpful for you in Installing Multiple QuickBooks Desktop Versions On One Computer. However, sometimes you may find it difficult to install multiple editions or versions in a single system. You may face several installations or update related errors in QuickBooks as well.
Install multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop
There is a provision in QuickBooks that you can install multiple versions of QuickBooks in just one computer. QuickBooks Desktop is one of the leading accounting software that is available in the global market for small and medium industries. It is available in three editions i.e. QuickBooks Desktop Pro, QuickBooks Desktop Premier and QuickBooks Enterprise. They also have a special edition especially designed for the accountants known as the QuickBooks Accountant Edition.
Here are some important points that are to be strictly followed, if you want to install the multiple version of QuickBooks in one PC:
- Both the QuickBooks Premier and Pro version of QuickBooks desktop use similar installation files, so you cannot install the same version of QuickBooks Premier and Pro in the same computer system.
- The QuickBooks Desktop Accountant Edition is generally considered as its own edition but it is often considered as a version of QuickBooks Premier desktop. You have an option to toggle Accountant edition with any version
of either Pro or Premier desktop.
- Only one version of QuickBooks Desktop can be installed per Enterprise or Premier Edition.
- You can easily open multiple version of QuickBooks at a time. For example: if you are working on the QuickBooks Premier Desktop 2018 and want to open QuickBooks Premier Desktop 2017, then you can open it without closing the Premier 2018.
- Only one edition of QuickBooks application can be used at a time i.e. you can’t use Premier and Enterprise at the same time. You will have to close any one of them to open the other one.
- QuickBooks for multiple region cannot be installed on the single system.
- You cannot share data between two different versions of QuickBooks Desktop or different years.
- The procedure of installing the manual update are different for different versions of QuickBooks desktop. While updating your application manually, you will receive a prompt that will ask you to select which edition of QuickBooks is to be updated as you have installed multiple edition on your system.
Steps to install more than one version/editions of QuickBooks Desktop on your system:
Here are some steps that are followed properly in order to successfully install the different versions of QuickBooks desktop on your system.
- Run the previously downloaded version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Change the location for installation.
1. Go to Custom & Network options and press Next.
2. You will a dialog box with Upgrade or Change Installation Location on your computer screen. Choose the first option that can be seen i.e. Change the install location.
3. This step is optional. You can press Change or Browse option if you are going to manually choose the different installation folder.
- Press Next.
- Complete the entire installation process by following the whole procedure.
- You can use the shortcut that is created on the desktop to open your version of QuickBooks that is installed recently.
Our Assistance channels
By following the steps mentioned in this article, you can easily create or delete a budget in your QuickBooks accounting software. In case, you are facing some issues while following the steps, you can contact QuickBooks that is setup by Intuit. If you are unable to reach out to them, then you can look for other alternatives like “2018QuickBooks”. They are third-party QuickBooks customer service agency that provides round the clock service. To reach out to them, you will have to dial the toll-free number +1-888-300-3913 and the QuickBooks expert will get back to you immediately. They will provide you with the best possible solution for your QB issues and solve your queries in the minimal wait to time. You can also request for Live Chat Support on the official website.
How Can I install QuickBooks Desktop Pro on more than one system?
Let’s explore some possible to install QuickBooks Desktop Pro on more than one system
Can I install QuickBooks desktop Pro on more than one system? Being a QuickBooks user, this question might have troubled you many times. Many users drop this query, and seek for a relevant answer for the same. Getting different answers from various professionals confuses every user, and the question stays intact. After thoroughly researching on this topic and viewing every possible aspect, our QuickBooks enterprise support team has come up with this article, where we will not only answer this question but also will provide the users with the entire process.
However, in case of any doubt, the user can get in touch with our technical support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1-844-521-0490, and clear all the clouds of confusion.
Can a user install QuickBooks desktop pro on multiple systems?
Well, the answer to this question is a clear “YES”. It is possible for the users to install QuickBooks desktop Pro on multiple systems. The need for installing the software on multiple PC’s arises when the employees of the company require random access to the software. As per the norms of Intuit, the QB users might install a single-user license version on a system and also on a portable device, only in the case when the user for the both the devices are same i.e. both the devices are used by a single user.
Whereas, when it comes to installation of QuickBooks on additional systems for additional users, buying additional licenses is mandatory. The catch here is that, one can use up to five user licenses for QuickBooks Pro and it comes with one license. The QuickBooks enterprise users have a plus point that it comes with 10 licenses and permits up to 30 licenses.
Steps to Install QuickBooks Desktop Pro on more than one system
Step 1: Download QuickBooks software via CD
The very first step is to “insert the QuickBooks CD” and the QuickBooks installer opens up automatically. The user is required to right-click the “Start button” and select “Explore option” in case the dialog box doesn’t open. After that, the user is required to opt for the “QuickBooks CD in the Folders list”, followed by clicking on the “Setup.exe” for launching the Intuit QB installer. If the user has downloaded the QuickBooks software from the Intuit Website, the user is supposed to “double-click the downloaded installation file” to launch the intuit QuickBooks Installer. The user is then required to click on the “Next” button to go to the License Agreement.
Step 2: Select the type of installation to opt for
Now, the user is supposed to tick mark the check box to “I accept the terms of the license agreement” on the license agreement page, followed by clicking on to the “Next” option, in order to visit the “Choose Installation Type page”.
Step 3: Share QuickBooks over network
Moving to the next step, the user has to hit “Express on the choose installation type page” to get the recommendation for the QuickBooks on installation options. After that the user is required to choose the “Custom and Network” options, for sharing the QuickBooks desktop Pro across the network. The user can skip the next step, if he/she has selected the “Custom and network” options.
Related article:How to recover important data file from QuickBooks enterprise?
Step 4: Entering the license and product numbers
If you have opted for “Express” in the previous step, then hit “Next” to visit the License and Product number page. After that the user has to enter the “License and Product Number”. The user can find these details on the yellow sticker that came with the CD, in case he/she is still using the CD to install. Whereas, if the user is carrying out the installation from Intuit, then in that case these numbers could be found in the email that you received from Intuit. You can hop the next step.
Step 5: Moving to the custom and network options
For the ones who select the “Custom and Network” option in the previous step, the user can click on to the “Next” option to visit the custom and network options page. The can go through the available options, and then click on to the “appropriate radio button”.
Step 6: Locating the installation location
Now the user is required to hit “Next” option to visit the “Upgrade or change installation location page”. And then the user is required to choose the “Change the installation location radio button” and tap on the “Browse” to navigate to a different location, if this is the option that you prefer. After that, click on to the next option to move to the “Ready to install page”.
Step 7: After this review the settings for accuracy
The next step is to “review the settings” on the Ready to install page for checking the accuracy. And then click on the “Install” for starting with the installation process.
Step 8: End the process of installation
Now moving to the next step, the user is supposed to check the “open QuickBooks” option and also the “Help me get started” option that would be present on the Congratulations page. After that, the user is supposed to click on to the “Finish” option and close the Intuit QuickBooks installer.
Step 9: Finalizing the software
This brings us to the end of this procedure. The user has to repeat the same steps to each of the system. It should be noted that it is not possible for the user to install the QuickBooks accounting software on a shared system and use the application on multiple systems. The software has to be installed on each system.
The user is required to carry out the above listed 9 steps to install QuickBooks desktop pro on multiple systems. This might be a bit confusing for some of the QuickBooks users.