If you are unable to use QuickBooks because of some issues with QBDBMgrN (QuickBooks Database Server Manager) service then you are not alone, several QuickBooks users face this issue while running QuickBooks on Windows operating systems and QB support forums are flooded with user queries like “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer and “QuickBooks Database Server Manager Stopped”. Such errors where QBDBMgrN service failed to start or won’t open indicates that Windows firewall is interrupting the service and blocking its connection to the internet. However, the good news is that you can quickly fix the problem by configuring the Windows firewall and its ports, but make sure to follow every step cautiously as a single mistake can result in data loss. Follow the complete article for detailed instructions.
We have tried our best to help you resolve the issue manually but with sensitive company’s data stored in QuickBooks, are you ready to risk it? Inability to troubleshoot QBDBMgrN Error can cause permanent damage to company file. Instead it is recommended to take professional’s help available .
What QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error Message Means?
Before we discuss why QBDBMgrN keeps stopping on Windows?, You must first understand what QBDBMgrN or QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service is and why it is used to run QuickBooks. QBDBMgrN is a utility developed by Intuit that allows more than one user to access the database and the company file stored on the file hosting server simultaneously. If the QBDBMgrN service is not running on your computer or is disabled for some reasons, then you can only use QuickBooks in Single-user mode means, it won’t switch to multi-user mode, and doing so will trigger an error that reads “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” or “Windows Firewall: Disabled exceptions not defined“when you switch QB to Multi-user mode.
QBDBMgrN is an executable process on Windows with .exe extension, and you can see the process running in the task manager of your computer. Follow our article Fix Multi-User Mode Errors for detailed instructions on troubleshooting common errors while setting up multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
What Reasons Triggers QBDBMgrN not running on this Computer Error Message?
The error usually occurs when you try to install QuickBooks update or while trying to upgrade it to a newer version and the Windows firewall is still not updated, this causes the firewall to detect QBDBMgrN service as an unknown service, and it blocks its access to the internet. When you repair your company file and network using QuickBooks File Doctor it displays an error message “Repair the following network problems before accessing your company file from other computers on the network *QBDBMgrN not running on this computer”.
QuickBooks File Doctor can automatically repair common company file and the network issues, but it cannot configure the firewall of your computer which is the root cause of the problem, so we have to manually set the firewall and its ports to allow QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service to establish a secure connection with the internet.
How to Fix QBDBMgrN not Running on this Computer Error?
Fix 1: Install Windows Firewall Updates
Installing the Windows Firewall updates will not only get you the latest security updates and patches, but it will also ensure that the Firewall is not erroneously blocking QuickBooks from accessing the company file.
- Press Windows + R key together and type Control Panel in the Run window.
- Press Enter and click the System and Security option.
- Alternatively, you can also use “firewall.cpl” command to open the firewall settings.
- Select Windows Firewall and click Check for Updates under the Update your Firewall Settings section.
- If Windows find any updates, then click the Update Now and Use Recommended Settings option and wait until the updates are installed.
- Restart your computer and open QuickBooks again.
IMPORTANT: If you are having any issues updating the firewall or if you are getting an error then you can manually update the firewall by downloading the update files. There are separate update files for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows operating systems. Download and open the updates from the links given below and follow the on-screen instructions to install the updates. You can find a complete guide to manually downloading and installing Windows firewall updates here.
Download Windows updates for 32 Bit Windows
Download Windows updates for 64 Bit Windows
If you are still getting “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” error message in QuickBooks File Doctor, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Fix 2: Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service
As QuickBooks Database Server Manager is the primary component behind Multi-User mode, restarting it’s service is a possible troubleshooting method to resolve error generated by faults in it.
- Press Windows + letter R key on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type Services.msc in the Run box and press Enter.
- Scroll down and search for QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service listed as either QuickBooksDB28, QuickBooksDB27 or QuickBooksDB26 where 28 stands for 2018 version, 27 for 2017, and 26 for 2016 version of QuickBooks and the same implies to QuickBooks 2020 version.
- Right-click the proper QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service and select Restart.
- Try to open QuickBooks again and if you are still not able to run QuickBooks then try the next troubleshooting solution.
NOTE: If while trying to start the QuickBooks services you get an error message “The QuickBooksDB26 Service on Local Computer started then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.“, then you will need to update your Windows Firewall. Follow the steps mentioned below to install latest Windows updates.
Fix 3: Install Latest Windows Updates
- Press Windows + R to get the Run dialogue box.
- Type Control firewall.cpl in the text box and press Enter.
- If the updates are available then click Update Now and make sure you are using the Recommended Settings.
- Once the updates are installed, restart your Windows PC and try to access the company file again.
Fix 4: Add QBDBMgrN Service to Firewall and its Ports
- Follow troubleshooting steps 2 and 4 from our article QuickBooks Update Error 12029 for detailed instructions on how to add QuickBooks to the exclusion list of your Windows Firewall.
- Exclude QBDBMgrN.exe file located in C:\ Program Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooks folder.
- Save the settings in the firewall and try using QuickBooks once again.
NOTE: If you are using a firewall other than Windows, then you might need to contact the firewall provider to get the exact instructions on excluding QuickBooks Database Server Manager from their firewall’s blocking list, as there are numerous firewalls available to the user it is not possible for us to mention the steps for each firewall in this article.
Fix 5: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Application
A possible reason for getting issues running Multi-User mode in QuickBooks is damage in the QuickBooks installation files. Running a repair of the application can immediately help you resolve the error.
- Press Windows + R on keyboard and type appwiz.cpl in the Run window.
- Press Enter and locate QuickBooks in the list of installed programs.
- Select QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change.
- Click Continue and then Next.
- Choose Repair and then click Next.
- Wait until the repair process completes.
- Click Finish and restart Windows.
Fix 6: Reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Tool
Clean installing QuickBooks will get you a fresh new copy of QuickBooks installed on your system eliminating all the little glitches that were not resolved by repairing the application. Before reinstalling QuickBooks it is always suggested to take a backup of QuickBooks company file to avoid data loss in unwanted circumstances.
- Follow step 5 Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks Desktop on Windows using Clean Install Tool from our article on QuickBooks Error 1328 for detailed instructions.
If you are still unable to use QuickBooks because the firewall is blocking QBDBMgrN service or there is an issue with the server hosting the file in multi-user mode, then we suggest you get in touch with us . Sometimes it becomes complex to resolve errors with QuickBooks Database Server Manager, and we need to diagnose Windows with advanced tools and software, our certified support experts deals with such errors regularly and can provide you an instant solution in the shortest time possible.
Fix QuickBooks Database Server Manager Not Running (QBDBMGRN) on the Computer Error
Get the best ways to resolve Error: QBDBMGRN is not running on this computer problem
If you are a QuickBooks user, no matter whether you are using QuickBooks from decades or you have just started with it, but at least once you might have heard about QuickBooks database server manager. Also, you might have also used this amazing tool, in some or the other way. In the recent times, many users have reported the database server manager not running on the computer error. This error might lead to multiple restrictions to you, just like hindering the access to multi-user mode. The error message “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” means that the database server manager has stopped working and also it indicates that the security firewall is interfering and hindering the QuickBooks to connect and communicate with the internet servers and fails in opening or starting.
Many users generally panic after encountering this error, keeping that in mind, we have come up with this article, which will be revolving around the causes and ways to mend this error. Thus, keep reading this article carefully. Moreover, you can also consult our QuickBooks error support professionals, in case you are seeking for technical assistance.
You might also like: How to troubleshoot QuickBooks unrecoverable error?
What does QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error means?
Before you learn the factors causing the error and also the methods to resolve the same, it would be necessary for you to find out what actually this error is all about. QBDBMgrN is basically an executable process on windows which has the .exe extension and can be seen in the task manager of the system. The QBDBSM was introduced by Intuit in order to enable multiple-users to access the company file and database on the hosting server having the company file.
When the error occurs with the database server manager, you can only access the single user mode and switching to the multi-user mode might show an alert stating the QBDBMgrN is not running on this computer. There are various other facts associated with QuickBooks database server manager not running on this computer error, which we will be discussing later in this post.
Why user gets QBDBMgrN not running error message?
The QBDBMgrN is not running on this computer error is usually seen when you updates the QuickBooks desktop to the latest update and skip to update the windows firewall along with that. Outdated firewall might spot the QuickBooks database server manager error as an unknown service and then block that, to protect from any sort of malware. This ultimately ends up in failure to connect to the internet and you receives an error message, while trying to correct the issue with the QuickBooks file doctor. There can be a few other factors leading to such an annoying error, a few of which are enumerated below:
- Improper configuration of firewall or the internet is creating problems.
- You can also encounter such an error if the 3rd party firewall software is blocking the access to QuickBooks.
- Wrong or infected installation of QuickBooks database server manager.
- Any sort of error with the network file might also encounter this error.
- Outdated database server manager can be one of the reasons.
Side effects of QBDBMgrN error
As a consequence of QBDBMgrN not running error, you might have to face the below mentioned problems:
- Hindrance in working in multi-user mode
- Unable to connect to the internet
- Difficulty in using QBW company file
- Also, the QBDBSM can’t be updated properly
- Inappropriate installation of firewall
- Firewall blocking the QuickBooks in accessing the internet
- Also, QB database server updation failed
- Inappropriate installation of database server manager
- Issues with QuickBooks network file (.ND file)
- QuickBooks database server manager has no files that are connected
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 80029c4a?
Methods to Fix QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer [Solved]
There can be multiple solution that you can implement in order to get rid of the bug. Below we will be exploring each of solutions one by one.
Basic Troubleshooting steps:
- Log out of your QuickBooks account
- And then, reboot the system
- After that, start QuickBooks and try to login to the account
If this doesn’t work for you, then move to the below procedures:
Method 1: QuickBooks is installed on the host system
- In this situation, you are supposed to select Open or Restore option.
- Choose open a company.
- Hit next.
- Find out the company file.
- Select the open file in multi-user mode box and then click on open.
- You are logged into the company file and then you required to select the file.
- Shut down the company to close the company file on the server.
Method 2: Only QBDBMgrN is installed on the host system
- Click on Windows start tab.
- Move to the Control Panel.
- After that, click on the admin tools and then double click on the Services option.
- You will then be needed to click on the correct database server manager.
- Restart the system, after which the steps are to be repeated based on the setup.
Method 3: Repair QuickBooks desktop
You can repair QuickBooks by carrying out the steps mentioned below:
- You need to reboot the system after closing all the programs blocking the QuickBooks software.
- Backup the company file.
- Hit the Start option moving to the control panel, by moving to the Start menu and opening search bar, followed by entering the control panel in the search box.
- After opening the control panel, hit a click on the programs and features option.
- Click on uninstall program. In case you are unable to spot the options, then in that case select programs and the move to program features.
- Click on program list and then click on uninstall, continue, and next options respectively.
- Once done with that you are required to click on repair option and then hit next. Also, wait till the time repair process comes to an end.
- Hit Finish tab and then reboot the system if prompted.
- Last but not the least, download the latest QuickBooks release.
Read Also: How to resolve QuickBooks error code 6000?
Method 4: Fix Error message ‘files in use’ first
In case users are having the ‘File in use‘ as an error message, then in that case the steps below are to be performed:
- The first step is to select ignore option in the system reboot tab.
- Hit a click on OK button.
- If you don’t get an ignore option on the screen, then you will have to click on OK tab.
- To end the process, you need to restart the system.
Method 5: Run Clean install tool
The process to use clean install tool to reinstall QuickBooks is sub divided in three steps:
Step 1: Uninstalling QuickBooks software
- Press Windows + R keys.
- Type in control panel and hit OK button.
- Click on programs and features and select the uninstall option.
- Select QuickBooks and then click on uninstall from the list of programs.
- You will then be required to follow the instructions to finish the uninstall process.
Step 2: Running QuickBooks clean install tool
- In the second stage you will have to download the latest version of QuickBooks clean install tool.
- Open the qbdbmgrn.exe file and then carry out the on-screen instructions.
- You will have to select the QuickBooks desktop version and then hit Continue.
Step 3: Change the name of QuickBooks desktop installation folders
- You will have to use the folder option in the PC to also reflect hidden files.
- Change the name of all the folders listed for windows version.
- You will then be required to add old or damaged to the end of the folder name, to differentiate the folders better.
In case you identify an error message at this point saying “Access Denied” while renaming folders, then carry out the steps below:
- Selecting Windows task bar and also opt for task manager.
- And then under the processes tab, you need to select image name column header to sort the processes alphabetically by name.
- Select QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe and press End tab.
- Also, select yes tab for the warning message that comes up.
- You need to reinstall QuickBooks desktop.
Read Also: What is QuickBooks error code H202?
Method 6: Update firewall to fix the error
- Press Windows + R keys.
- And then type in Control panel and along with that hit OK button.
- The next step is to select the system and security option.
- And you are then required to use the cursor to move to the windows firewall and then choose the check for updates option
- Detect the system requires updates, then it is important to click on update now tab and also wait for the installation process to be completed.
- Reboot the system and check if the error persists.
Method 7: Restart QuickBooks database server manager service
Another process that one can opt for is to restart the QuickBooks database server manager once and check if the error persists.
- Hit a click on Windows + R keys.
- Type services.msc and hit OK tab.
- Scroll down to the list until you finds the QuickBooks database server manager service listed.
- Select the file for the QB desktop and then right click the file to open the drop-down menu.
- Next select reboot option.
- Open the QuickBooks again to check the backup.
You may also see: How to Use QuickBooks Conversion Tool?
Method 8: Exclude QB database server manager from firewall settings
- In this step, the initial step is to open the run box on the system.
- Type Windows firewall and then click on OK tab.
- Double tap from the list of programs.
- The next step is to look for advanced settings and right click on inbound rules and also select new rule from the drop-down menu.
- Hit a click on the Next option under the programs and then select this program path option.
- Followed by excluding the QBDBMgrN.exe file. Users can get this file in the QB folder and then select the location of the file and then hit next.
- The next step is to choose allow the connection option and then hit continue and next options respectively.
- Hit a click on allow the connection and then hit Next.
- You will then be required name the rule and then hit a click on Finish option.
- Reboot the system and then resume the work with QBW company file.
Method 9: Rebooting the system
- You can log off the QuickBooks account.
- Close the QuickBooks desktop.
- Shut down the QuickBooks account.
- Followed by restart the system.
- Finally, open QuickBooks and try to login the account.
Method 10: Manual steps to follow
- Initially, download the QuickBooks file doctor tool and then install the same on the system.
- Operate the software and let it diagnose the network, to resolve the error.
- In case the hosting mode has been turned off, then you will have to turn it on, as the software will not be able to open the company file.
- Next, setup access permissions in windows.
- Grant permissions in windows and make the folder shareable.
- The last step is to run ipconfig, when network connectivity is not present.
See Also: Resolve QuickBooks error code 1311
Well, this brings us towards the end of this article. While concluding the article we expect that the information that we have shared in above might be of great help in Fixing QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error. However, a situation might arise when even after implementing all the above solutions, the error continues to trouble you. In such a situation, you are recommended to keep calm and consult a certified accounting professional to handle the situation. Getting in touch with a professional might help you in successfully fixing the bug without any further damage.
Feel free to call us using our dedicated support number i.e., and ask our experts for assistance. So, do not hesitate in calling our accounting professionals anytime, as our 24/7 QuickBooks enterprise support team will be happy to help you.
QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error Solved
QuickBooks Troubleshooting Guide:
- QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error Solved
- What ‘QBDBMgrN not running’ Error Message Means?
- Why are you getting the ‘QBDBMgrN not running on this computer’ error message?
- Problems Caused by QBDBMgrN not running
- 9 ways to fix “QBDBMgrN not running” on this computer Server
- Solution No. 1: QBDBMgrN not running fix with QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Solution No. 2: Fix windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks
- Solution No. 3: Restart the QB Database Server Manager Service
- Solution No. 4: Exclude QB database manager Service from your firewall settings
- Solution No. 5: Use the Clean Install Tool to fix qbdbmgrn not running
- Solution No. 6: Rename the QuickBooks Desktop Installation folders
- Solution No. 7: Repair, Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
One of the most common issues discussed on QuickBooks community forums is QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error. So, if you are running your QuickBooks on the Windows operating system, and encounter the error message „QBDBMgrN not running on this computer“, or qbdbmgrn.exe not running it usually means that your QuickBooks Database Server Manager has stopped working.
Furthermore, it indicates that the Security firewall is interfering and blocking QB desktop to connect with the internet and therefore fails to start or open.
In this following article, we outline what the ‘QBDBMgrN not running on this computer’ error message means, why you are getting this error and a step by step gide on how to fix this issue.
What ‘QBDBMgrN not running’ Error Message Means?
To better understand why QBDBMgrN not running occurs, we will first explain to you what exactly the QBDBMgrN also known as (QuickBooks Database Server Manger Service) is, and why the QuickBooks software needs it to run properly.
QBDBMgrN is an executable process on Windows with a so-called .exe extension, which you can see in the task manager of your computer.
Simplified, the QB database server manager was developed by Intuit to enable multi-user access to the company file and databases on the hosting server where the company file is stored.
Therefore, when the QBDBMgrN service is not running or disabled, you are only able to use QuickBooks in the single-user mode.
As soon as you are trying to switch into the multi-user mode, QuickBooks will alert you with the ‘QBDBMgrN not running on this computer’ error message.
Why are you getting the ‘QBDBMgrN not running on this computer’ error message?
Here is a list of one of the following reasons why you might encounter such errors while running QB in multi-user mode in a hosting environment.
- Your QuickBooks desktop application has not been updated to the latest release from Intuit.
- QBDBMgrN.exe file or folder is damaged.
- Damaged network path to server or network down issues.
- A glitch, error or damages caused to a specific company file.
- Hosting mode got accidentally turned off.
- QuickBooks is not setup properly in multi-user mode for a specific user.
- The database server manager required to use QB in multi-user mode is not installed or updated properly.
- A firewall is blocking certain services due to limited permission to access certain files from the server.
Following one of the above issues causes the Windows Security firewall to spot the QBDBMgrN service as an unknown service and blocks it, in order to protect your computer from malware, unknown applications and so forth.
This is when QB is unable to connect to the internet and when you try to solve the network issue with the QuickBooks File Doctor, you receive the qbdbmgrn not running error message:
In the first place let’s go ahead and repair the following network problems before accessing your company file from other computers in multi-user mode.
Have you tried the file doctor already but failed to solve QBDBM it is because the QuickBooks File Doctor is only able to repair damages in the company file and network, but cannot configure your firewall settings. This is why you will have to adjust the firewall and its ports manually to enable QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service to connect with the network or internet again.
Problems Caused by QBDBMgrN not running
- Unable to use your company files in multi-user mode.
- QB is unable to connect to the internet and the internal network of hosted computers.
- Unable to use any of the file extensions such as .QBW or .QBB backup data files.
- QB Database Server is unable to update properly and often stops responding unless manually restarted.
- User’s often experience their QuickBooks running slow or freezing.
With a number of complaints from several QuickBooks user’s and with thorough research invested into this particular issues we have accumulated this complete guide. One of the following solutions will help you overcome computer server and QBDB not running issues in the long run.
9 ways to fix “QBDBMgrN not running” on this computer Server
QBDBMgrN not running appears on two occasions while opening QuickBooks in multi-user mode, Firstly this issue is directly related to a connectivity issue between the server on which the database server manager service is installed that helps distribute access of your company files on a work station and Secondly, If QBDBMgrN occurs on a specific company file and not all of the files than this clarifies that their may be errors or damages specifically on a particular file and has nothing to do with your hosting network when you see quickbooksdb30 service won’t start error.
Additionally follow all the steps in a hierarchical manner from solution 1 to 8, This tutorial begins with the most easy and quick fixes first before you try one of the more advanced steps as we dig deeper into this article understanding the source and a permanent solution to QBDBM.
Solution No. 1: QBDBMgrN not running fix with QuickBooks Tools Hub
If you haven’t already utilized the all in one file doctor tool from intuit than now is the time to run this tool which in most cases can fix most common network issues such as „QBDBMgrN not running“ or „file in use“ errors that occurs while accessing your company file from a work station through a hosted network or computer server.
Further below we have mentioned in details on how to correctly use the tools hub to simplify fixing Database server errors for non techies.
- Close Your QuickBooks Program and Database server manager.
- Download the latest version of QuickBooks Tools Hub from here.
- Open the downloaded file with the name (QuickBooksToolsHub.exe).
- A new window will pop up, Simply agree to the terms and continue.
- Once the installation is complete you will find a copy of QB tools hub on your desktop screen.
- Click twice to open tools hub on your Windows Desktop.
Option A: Fix Company file issues
First of all use the run Quick fix my file option to solve QBDBMgrN.exe file issues on your server, if repairing your file does not solve QBDBM than next use the QuickBooks file doctor to resolve connection issues between your network and the work stations on which you are running QB.
- Select “Company File Issues“ from the right window pane in tools hub.
- Next select Quick fix my file.
- Click OK on the next window to continue and Wait for the file doctor to complete scanning your files for any possible issues or errors.
- Once complete close the window and open QuickBooks.
At this point if you are able to login to QB and access your company data file than it was probably a minor glitch or your application was shut down unexpectedly due to which attempting to access your company file through the computer server kept failing.
Although occasionally the ”QBDBMgrN not running” is caused due to one of the following reasons.
- The QuickBooks database server manage is not responding.
- Network is down. (First of all network down can mean several things, for most cases this means your internet connection is not working properly. Secondly in your case it can mean that your internal network of computers are down which includes your server on which the QB database server manager is installed.
Having said that let’s move on to the final analysis of troubleshooting any possible network connection issues with the company file.
Option B: Run the QuickBooks File Doctor
- This time click on the company file issues tab
- Choose to run the file doctor.
- Go ahead select the company file that you are having trouble with from the drop down menu
- From the above options select Check your file and hit continue.
- Now enter your QB desktop Admin ID and Password and click Next.
Generally it shouldn’t take too long for the file doctor to scan your company file and network issues, although this depends on the size of your company file. However once the scan has completed open your files once again and repeat the same process on each user’s work station on which QBDBMgrN not working is prompting.
Solution No. 2: Fix windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks
- Simultaneously press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard
- Type Control Panel and click OK
- Choose the System and Security option
- Use your cursor to navigate to the Windows Firewall and select Check for Updates (in the Update your Firewall Settings section)
- After your PC found the necessary updates, click Update Now and wait for the installation process to be finished
- Restart your computer and proceed to work with the QB Company file.
Note: If you are facing issues with updating your firewall with the above steps, Alternatively you can run the update by downloading the update files manually. There are update files for 32-bit and 64-bit microsoft operating systems.Start with downloading the files from these links and follow the on-screen instructions.
Download updates for 32 Bit Windows
Download updates for 64 Bit Windows
Solution No. 3: Restart the QB Database Server Manager Service
- Simultaneously press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard
- Type Services.msc and click OK
- Now scroll down the list until you find the QB Database Server Manager Service listed as QuickBooksDB30 (2020 Desktop version), QBDB29 (2019 Desktop version), QBDB28 (2018 Desktop version), QuickBooksDB27 (2017 Desktop version).
- Choose the file for your QB desktop version and open the drop-down menu with a right-click on the file.
- Select Restart
- Open your QB again to check if you are back up and running.
Solution No. 4: Exclude QB database manager Service from your firewall settings
- Open the run box on your computer.
- Type Windows Firewall and hit OK.
- Double-click on the firewall app from the list of programs.
- Go to Advanced settings and with a right-click on Inbound Rules choose New Rule from the drop-down menu.
- Click Next under Programs and select This Program Path.
- Now exclude the QBDBMgrN.exe file. You should find the file in the QB folder (C:Program FilesIntuitQuickBooks) Select the location of the .exe file and click Next.
- Choose Allow the Connection and continue with Next.
- Check-mark all the check-boxes and go Next.
- Give a name for this rule and hit Finish.
- Restart your computer and resume your work with the QBW Company file.
Note: If you are using a third-party firewall other than from Microsoft, you need to exclude the QB database Service according to the instructions provided on the firewall manual.
Solution No. 5: Use the Clean Install Tool to fix qbdbmgrn not running
- Download the latest version of the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool here.
- Open the qbdbmgrn.exe file and follow the given instructions.
- Choose your QuickBooks Desktop version and press Continue.
Solution No. 6: Rename the QuickBooks Desktop Installation folders
- Use the folder options in your PC to also reflect hidden files.
- Now rename all the folders that are listed for the Windows version.
- It is best to add old or damaged to the end of the folder name, in order to be able to differentiate the folders better.
Solution No. 7: Repair, Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
Before you perform this step make sure to backup your company file if you haven’t done that already, Moreover if you backup your company file on a external hard drive we would recommend you do so now. Besides confirming the safety of your files it will also help you stay organized and find the right file to open once we uninstall and reinstall QB.
Now let’s get started For Windows 10, 8, 8.1 and the latest is Microsoft windows versions.
- press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard at the same time.
- Type appwiz.cpl and select OK.
- Choose QB from the list of files and select Uninstall/Change.
- Select Continue and then Next.
- Now select Repair and then Next.
- Wait for the repair process to be completed.
- And then restart your computer.
This process may take some time depending on your computers performance, Once windows has completed the repairing process restart your PC and retry opening your data files. If repairing the installation files did not solve the problem than continue with the nect step to unisntall QB.
Uninstall QB Desktop:
- Simultaneously press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard.
- Type Control Panel and hit OK.
- Click on Programs & Features Option.
- From the list of programs installed on your PC choose QuickBooks.
- Highlight the QB application with your cursor and right click to select Uninstall.
- Follow the given instructions to finish the uninstall process.
Once the uninstall process has completes restart your computer as this will make sure all programs and applications are complete closed on your computer before we being with the re-installation process.
Reinstall the QB Desktop application
Go here to Download the latest version of QuickBooks desktop.
Save the Downloaded QuickBooks.exe file to location where you can easily locate it. Once the download is complete double click on the installer and follow the on screen instruction which will install a fresh new updated version on your QuickBooks desktop application on your PC. If reinstalling QB solves your problem than perform the same process for all the other users on each work station work station.
We hope that this article was helpful to you and that your issue with the “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” was resolved.
In case you are unable to fix the issue by yourself and QBDBMgrN won’t start on your computer, do not risk any further operational delays for your business and contact our team of experts for quick and reliable support. It is is easy to get in touch with our support representatives, Drop us a line or call us.
QBDBMgrN Not Running On This Computer Error
“QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” error occurs in QuickBooks while using the program in multi-user mode. QBDBMgrN is a function in QuickBooks that allows multiple users to access the database and company files stored on a hosted server. QBDBMgrN.exe not running error occurs when QBDBMgrN service is disabled on your computer. By reading this blog until the end, you can understand why “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” error message pops up, how does it affect QuickBooks and how you can fix “QuickBooks QBDBMgrN not running” error in easy steps.
How “QuickBooks database manager not running” error can Affect QuickBooks and your Data?
When the “QuickBooks database server manager not running” error takes place, you will see the following changes in your system:-
- You will get Multi-User Mode Errors.
- You will not be able to write the company file.
- Irregular installation of Firewall.
- Firewall preventing QuickBooks to access the Internet.
- QuickBooks Database Server will fail to update.
- Improper installation of QuickBooks Database server manager.
- Issues with QuickBooks network file can be seen when “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” strikes up.
Why you receive error message “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer server 2019”?
When you see the error message?
If QuickBooks database server manager stopped and not running on this computer, then it means your Windows firewall is not updated. When you try to update QuickBooks, the old version of firewall find QBDBMgrN service as unknown service and prevent QuickBooks from connecting to the internet. When you try to use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool to repair company file, the following error message appears-
“Repair the following network problems before accessing your company file from other computers on the network to remove *QBDBMgrN not running on this computer. Error”
QuickBooks file doctor is suitable for repairing QuickBooks company file, and you have to manually configure firewall settings to enable QuickBooks to use the Internet connection.
How to resolve QuickBooks 2019 server not running problem?
Sometimes, restarting your system can fix a technical error. If not, follow the steps mentioned below to resolve QBDBMgrN not running on this computer 2019.
Method 1- Start With Updating Windows Firewall
Outdated Windows Firewall program settings on your system might be stopping your QuickBooks Desktop from accessing the internet. Therefore, it’s necessary that you update your outdated Windows Firewall settings as quickly as possible to fix QuickBooks Error: QBDBMgrN Not Running On This Computer.
- Since it is the Windows Firewall due to which QuickBooks database server manager keeps stopping, so it makes sense to start with the same.
- Type Windows + R on your keyboard and write Control firewall.cpl in the provided area.Windows Firewall Run Command
- Press Enter and then open Windows Firewall and under the Update your Firewall Settings section click Check for Updates.Update Windows Firewall
- Click Update Now and Use Recommended Settings options and check if an update is available.
- Wait for the process to complete and then Restart your computer and then open QuickBooks.
Method 2- Restart QB Database Server Manager Service
If the QBDBMgrN not running on this computer 2018 still exist, follow the below-described steps to get rid of the error-
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc in the Run box and click Enter.Services Run Command
- Now scroll down and search for the service named as one of these QuickBooksDB26, QuickBooksDB28, QuickBooksDB 29, or QuickBooksDB27.
- Right-click on the exact service and then click Restart option.Restart QuickBooksDB Service
- After restarting the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, try to Update QuickBooks and see if it is working or not.
Method 3- Repair the Current Version of QuickBooks Desktop
Check if QBDBMgrN not running on this computer server 2018 is fixed by the second procedure. If not, follow the below-listed steps-
- Press Windows + R and type appwiz.cpl in the Run box. Appwiz Run Command
- Press Enter and go to QuickBooks in the installed program list.
- Double-click the QuickBooks application and select Uninstall/Change option.Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Follow the given series of action, Continue -> Next -> Repair -> Next.Repair QuickBooks Desktop
- Wait for the repair process to finish.
- Once the process is complete, click Finish and Restart the program.
Method 4- Re-install QuickBooks Desktop Application
Follow the below-given steps to eliminate QuickBooks 2018 server not running error and check if QBDBMgrN not running on this computer server is resolved after following the solution.
- Press Windows +R and type appwiz.cpl in the provided Run box.
- Now click OK and choose QuickBooks from the program list.
- Select Uninstall and then click OK.Remove QuickBooks Desktop
- Follow the prompts to clean QuickBooks company file from the PC.
- Visit the official QuickBooks Download page.
- Select your Country and QuickBooks version to proceed further.
- Click Search,and you will get the Download link.Download QuickBooks
- Download QuickBooks and from the download folder of your computer, follow the on-screen prompts to install the software.
- Provide product registration information and once the application is installed restart Windows.
Method 5: Verify Hosting Settings on the User’s Workstation and the Server
- First open QuickBooks on the user’s workstation and click the File tab.
- From under the File tab, click Utilities and select Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option if it is enabled.QuickBooks Stop Hosting Multi-User Access
- If you see Host Multi-User option in the list, then this indicates the hosting setting are correct on the workstation.QuickBooks Host Multi-User Access
- Now move to the Server computer and open QuickBooks Desktop on it.
- Click the File tab and select Utilities.
- Make sure that Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option is displayed there.
- If not, then click Stop Hosting Multi-User Access to switch to multi-user access in QuickBooks.
Method 6: Download and Run QuickBooks File Doctor from QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official website or click Here to download it.QuickBooks Desktop Tools HubNote: In case you’ve already installed QuickBooks earlier, then make sure that it’s of the latest version which is currently 220.127.116.11 to get the best results. Otherwise you might not get the expected results with the older versions of QuickBooks. To check which version of QuickBooks Tool Hub you have, you just need to go to the About tab or you can select the Home tab in which version will be displayed at the bottom-right corner of the drop-down menu column.
- Open the browser’s download by pressing Ctrl + J on the keyboard.
- Double-click the downloaded QuickBooksToolHub.exe installation file to install it.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and follow the prompts as they appear on the screen.Install QuickBooks Tool Hub
- After the installation, open QuickBooks Tool Hub from the Desktop of your computer.QuickBooks Tool Hub Icon
- If the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon is not found, then you can search for the app from the Windows Start menu.
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub and navigate to the Company File section.
- Now select QuickBooks File Doctor and proceed further with the repair.QuickBooks File Doctor in Tool Hub
- Select , Check both File Damage and Network Connectivity options and let the QBFD repair the glitches.QuickBooks File Doctor Repair Options
- Once done, try to perform the same action once again that was triggering the “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” message earlier.QBDBMgrN not running on this computerMethod 7. Removing QuickBooks Server Manager from the Windows firewall settings
- Press Windows and R keys together to open the run window.
- Write Windows Firewall and click OK.
- From the list of programs, double-click on Firewall & network connection.
- Go to the Advanced Settings and select Inbound Rule.
- Next, click on New Rule and then Next.
- From the Program paths exclude the exe file.
- After that, tick the Allow the connection checkbox and click Continue.
- Last, click on Finish and reboot the system.
Method 8. Run Quick Fix my Program
The Quick Fix my Program tool will close all the programs running in the background that QuickBooks uses and runs a quick repair:
- Again, open QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Click on the Program Problems tab.
- Select Quick Fix my Program.
- Start QuickBooks and try to open the company file.
If the error still exists, proceed to method 9.
Method 9. Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
QuickBooks install diagnostic tool is designed to fix the installation issues.
Follow the steps given below to utilize the tool:
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub once again.
- Click on the Installation Issues tab.
- Next, select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool.
- The tool will fix the issues related to installation files and may take around 20 minutes to finish the repair.
- Now, reboot the workstation.
In this blog, we have discussed QuickBooks 2021 server not running problem causing QuickBooks 2020 failed to restart in multi-user mode error. By following these troubleshooting steps, you can get QBDBMgrN not running on this computer server fixed. However, if you face any technical difficulty while fixing QuickBooks database server manager download issues, then you can call our QuickBooks error support phone number 1.800.579.9430 and describe your issue to experts for quick and relevant help.
QBDBMGRN NOT RUNNING ON THIS COMPUTER | 5 EASY SOLUTIONS
QuickBooks is multi-feature software that enables users to perform bookkeeping and accounting tasks very quickly. Although being the best accounting software, it does produce some errors too. Among all the other errors, the most common one is QBDBMgrN not running on this computer. Users might encounter this error every once in a while. The error occurs when the QuickBooks Database Server Manager has stopped working.
However, users don’t need to worry about this error, as it can be easily resolved by configuring the Windows firewall and its ports. Still, it needs to be done very precisely because even the slightest mistake could result in data loss.
Don’t know how to resolve the error promptly? That’s alright because, in this article, we covered every bit about QBDBMgrN not running error, i.e., what does this error mean, what are the reasons, what are the consequences, how to fix this error, etc. We explained you in our best way possible so that you can resolve it manually. To know more about this error, follow this blog till the end to avoid any complications.
Let’s learn about QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDBMgrN)
QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDBMgrN.exe) is an inbuilt utility established by Intuit, especially for multiple users set up. It is a necessary tool required for company file performance on the network. QuickBooks Database Server Manager creates a network file in the host computer.
If users have installed multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on their system, they must install QBDBMgrN for each version. Sometimes when QuickBooks Database services stop working, the user may face QBDBMgrN not running error message, which might be risky in data damage or corruption.
What do you mean by QBDBMgrN Not Running Error Message?
Before anything, users must know why they are receiving this error message and also what the factors are behind the error. QuickBooks users encounter a “QuickBooks QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” error message when working in multi-user mode. QBDBMgrN is a feasible process on windows with added ‘.exe’ extension, which users can check in the task manager of their system.
QBDBMgrN is a function that allows multiple users to access the company file simultaneously stored on the hosted server. The error message simply means that the QuickBooks Database Server Manager is disabled, and users won’t be able to switch to multi-user mode.
Are you receiving QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error message?
The error may occur when the Windows Firewall is not updated. Therefore, to protect your system from malware attacks, the firewall stops the QBDBMgrN services as unknown service and blocks them. And when you try to solve the network issue with QuickBooks File Doctor, QuickBooks cannot connect with the internet. You receive the error message which says,
“Repair the following network problems before accessing your company file from other computers on the network to remove *QBDBMgrN not running on this computer. Error“
Given below are some of the reasons that may provoke QBDBMgrN not running error:
- The issue may arise when Windows Firewall is not allowing QuickBooks to access the Internet.
- Misconfigured Windows Firewall Security Settings can also lead to this error.
- QuickBooks QBDBMgrN not running error message may occur when using an outdated QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service.
- In the case of QuickBooks, Database Server Manager is not correctly installed, and the issue can also occur.
- Obstruction of the third-party firewall could also be the major reason when QuickBooks cannot access the server.
- A damaged Network Data file can also lead to this error.
What Problems can be caused by QBDBMgrN not running on this computer 2018?
Users generally ask this question that what are the consequences of the “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer 2018 and 2019” error message. Some consequences are mentioned below, which you will see in your program when QBDBMgrN won’t start on the server.
- Users won’t be able to work in multi-user mode when the issue arises.
- Due to this issue, users won’t be able to write the company file.
- Irregular installation of a Firewall could also be the primary reason.
- A firewall prevents QuickBooks from accessing the Internet once an error occurs.
- QuickBooks Database Server failed to update due to QBDBMgrN.exe not running error message.
- When QuickBooks 2017 server is not running error message strikes up, then the network file’s issue arises.
Effective solutions to Fix QBDBMgrN not running on Windows 10
After knowing the possible causes and symptoms of QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error message, you can easily apply the best troubleshooting solution to fix the issue. Follow the provided solutions mentioned below to resolve, “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer server 2018 and server 2019”.
Solution 1– Solve the issue by Installing the Windows Firewall updates
- At first, press Windows + R key on your keyboard simultaneously to open the Run Command.
- Now, in the required space, type Control Panel and click on the OK button.
- Next, choose the System and Security option.
- Navigate Windows Firewall by using your cursor and select the check for updates option under the Update your Firewall Settings Section.
- Once your System has found the essential updates, click update now and wait for the installation process to finish.
- After that, restart your system and proceed to work with the QuickBooks Company File.
- In case you face any issue while downloading the update by following the above steps, you can run the update by downloading the updates manually. There are other updates for 32-bit Windows and 64- bit Microsoft operating systems.
Note: It can be possible that users may face issues in upgrading the firewall, or they might receive an error, so users can upgrade the firewall manually by downloading the upgrading files. Given below are the links for the different update files (32- bit & 64-bit). Download it and follow the instructions provided on the screen.
Solution 2– Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service
- Firstly, press Windows + R key on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Enter Services.MSc in the Run box and then click on the OK button.
- Now, scroll down the list to find the QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service appears according to versions.
- After that, select the file as per your QuickBooks desktop version.
- Navigate the drop-down menu and right-click on the file listed in the file.
- Lastly, restart your system and open QuickBooks again to see if the error gets resolved. Jump on the following solution if you are still facing the issue.
Solution 3– From Firewall Settings Exclude QuickBooks Database Manager Service
- Open the run dialog box on the system by pressing Windows + key on your keyboard.
- Now, write Windows Firewall in the Run box.
- After that, click on the OK button.
- Next, check the list of programs and do double-click on it.
- Locate the Advanced Settings and double click on the inbound rules
- Click on New Rule located in the drop-down menu. After that, choose the next under the Programs section.
- After that, click on This Program Path.
- Now search for the QBDBMgrN.exe file and make sure to exclude it. (You will find the file in the QB folder)
- Choose the preferred location of the .exe file and then click on the Next button.
- Choose to Allow the connection option and click Next.
- You must check-mark all the checkboxes and then proceed with the Next button.
- Enter a name to this rule, and then click on the Finish button.
- Lastly, restart the system and resume operating with the QBW company file.
Solution 4: Download & Install QuickBooks clean install tool
To rectify the issue, use QuickBooks Clean Install Tool. It is a three-step solution that requires uninstalling, renaming installation folders, and again reinstalling QuickBooks.
Step 1: To Get Rid of QBDBMgrN Not Running Error Uninstall The QB Application First.
- Press Windows + R key on your keyboard to open the ‘Run’ command
- Type’ Control Panel’ in the required space and select OK.
- Choose the Programs & Features option.
- If you find the Control Panel is in the ‘category view,’ select ‘Uninstall a Program.’
- After that, choose ‘QuickBooks’ from the programs list and select the uninstall/change option. Follow the prompts for finishing the process.
Step 2: Download & run QuickBooks Clean Install Tool.
- Download QuickBooks Clean Install Tool.exe file & save it to your desktop.
- Now Open QuickBooks _clean_install_utility.exe
- Click on the ‘I accept on the license’ option.
- Select your QuickBooks Desktop version & choose the Continue option.
- After that, click on the OK button when the following message comes-‘QuickBooks is ready for Clean Install’ and then install this to the default directory.
Step 3: Perform a manual renaming of the QuickBooks Desktop Installation folders.
- Make sure to use Windows Explorer to show the hidden files.
- Make sure to rename every folder location listed for your Windows version.
- Add ‘old’ or ‘damaged’ at the end of the folder name. This will restrict QuickBooks from knowing the folder to make a new one.
Step 4: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
- Finally, reinstall the QuickBooks application by downloading and installing QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 5– Need QuickBooks Application Repairing While Fixing QBDBMgrN Not Running
- Open the run box in your system by pressing Windows + R key on your keyboard.
- Write aapwiz.cpl in the Run box
- Choose the OK option
- Now, select QuickBooks displaying in the list of files
- After that, click on Uninstall/Change and then choose the Continue button.
- Click on the Next button.
- Now, choose the Repair option and then proceed with the next option.
- Wait until the repair process is completed.
- Lastly, restart the system.
FAQ (Frequently asked question)
Question: Did You Get “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer”?
Answer: If you face a “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” error message while working in multi-user mode, you must utilize QuickBooks Clean Install Tool to resolve the issue.
Question: What is QBDBMgrN.EXE?
Answer: The QBDBMgrN.exe file is a part of a QuickBooks software marketed by Intuit. It generally starts with windows, enabling multiple users to have access to the QuickBooks Database anytime.
Hopefully, after going through the complete article, you were able to resolve QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error message. We have discussed different solutions to fix the issue. QBDBMgrN not running message appears on the screen due to incorrect installation of QBDSM. However, users must resolve this issue quickly to access work tasks in multi-user mode.
In case you need any help or have any doubt regarding accounting and bookkeeping services, please feel free to contact us at our toll-free number to seek real-time help. Our expert ProAdvisor team member will assist your query with quick and reliable responses.
QBDBMgrN Not Running On This Computer | Swift Troubleshooting
QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDBMgrN) is a utility that comes integrated with QuickBooks Enterprise and helps multiple users access the company file on the different workstations at the same time. All you need to ensure is the proper installation of the database server manager and uninterrupted connectivity between the server and the workstations in the network. Below we have discussed one infamous error that usually occurs in QuickBooks enterprise while running it in multi-user mode.
“QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” or “QuickBooks database server manager stopped” is like a conventional QuickBooks error that can prevent you from accessing your company file located on the hosted server. QBDBMgrN service enables multiple clients to access the database of your company file. When it is disabled, the “QuickBooks database server manager stopped” error message can take place. An outdated QuickBooks Database Server Manager service can back this error. If you are worried, So the good news is that This post will address the potential reasons, signs, and some effective troubleshooting tactics to fix the qbdbmgrn not running error.
What Are The Possible Reasons That Can Promote The “QuickBooks database server manager stopped ” Issue?
Occurrence of Error message “QuickBooks Database Server Manager has stopped working” can be caused due to the under-stated reasons:
- Your Windows Firewall is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the Internet.
- Incorrectly configured Windows Firewall security settings.
- When you are using an outdated QuickBooks Database Server Manager service.
- Improperly installed QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Third-party Firewall application obstructing QuickBooks from accessing the server.
- Damaged Network Data (.ND) file.
Expert Advice: In Such Error “QuickBooks Database server manager has stopped working” or “Qbdbmgrn not running on this computer” circumstances, While you are troubleshooting, You should place a call at 855-856-0042 to avoid failure.
What Are The Aftermaths of “QuickBooks Database has stopped working” Issue?
When “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” occurs, you can get the following error symptoms:
- No-Longer able to switch into multi-user mode or QuickBooks multi-user mode not working.
- QuickBooks fails to connect to the Internet
- Improper QuickBooks Database Server update
- You will not be able to access your company records
- Incomplete or corrupt installation of the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Inability to write the company file.
How To Troubleshoot “QuickBooks Database Server manager stopped” Error?
Below are some handy troubleshooting procedures we have stated, you can perform to fix the “QBDBMgrN not running” error:
Solution 1: Update Windows Firewall
An old-fashioned version of the firewall may trigger QuickBooks QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error. The below-enlisted steps help you to update the currently installed firewall.
- Press Windows+R keys on your keyboard, and it will open the Run Window.
- Now type “Control Panel” in the Run box and click Enter.
- Next, you need to select System and Security.
- Go to Windows Firewall and click Check For Updateslocated underneath Update Your Firewall Settings.
- If there is an update available, click Update Now.
Restart the computer and then try to open QuickBooks to check if the error is fixed.
Solution 2: Repair The Current Version Of QuickBooks Desktop
Sometimes after a long run, you might require to repair the QuickBooks, all you need to use is the QuickBooks clean install tool is intentionally designed to assist in reinstalling the QuickBooks, and you can follow the steps by visiting the mentioned link.
If the Error “QuickBooks Database server manager stopped” is not resolved even after repairing the whole QuickBooks using QuickBooks clean install tool, So you can move to the next solutions.
Solution 3: Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service
In this procedure, we will confirm that the QuickBooks Database Manager service is not disabled, otherwise, the “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” issue can be cited. To restart:
- Press Windows + R, keys together to open the run box
- Type “services.msc” in the Run box and hit Enter.
- Move down and search for the service named as one of these QuickBooksDB26, QuickBooksDB28, or QuickBooksDB27.
- Right-click on the exact service and then hit the reboot option.
Solution 4: Verify If the Server is Set to Host QuickBooks in Multi-User Mode
- Run QuickBooks Desktop on the Server workstation and click the File tab.
- Now move your mouse cursor over the Utility option.
- From the drop-down menu, verify if QuickBooks is set to host company files to multiple users in the network.
- If there appears an option that displays, “Host Multi-User Access”, then this indicates that multi-user hosting is not currently enabled.
- Click the same option and turn-on multi-user hosting in QuickBooks.
- If there appears an option that displays “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access”, then the system is in right configuration and you can proceed to the next troubleshooting step if the error is still not resolved.
Solution 5: Ping Server from Users Workstation to Verify the Inter-Network Connectivity
- From the Windows Start menu search for Network and Sharing Center on both Server and users workstations.
- Select the Change Advanced Sharing Settings option and ensure the Turn on Network Discovery option is selected and enabled.
- Now press Windows + R on the server computer.
- Type CMD and press Enter.
- Once the black color command prompt window is up on the screen, type ipconfig/all and press Enter.
- Take a note of the “hostname” that appears next to the Host Name under IP configuration.
- Now open Run command window on the user’s workstation that is experiencing QBDBMgrN not running error.
- Type CMD and press Enter.
- Now enter the command “ping your server name” and press Enter.
- If you received all the packets that were sent, then there is no issues with this workstation and you can repeat the same procedure to check other workstations having the same issue.
- If you still get the same error, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
By the End of solution 5, you would be able to finalize that the QuickBooks server and workstation communicating with each other or not.
Solution 6: Temporarily Disable the Current Firewall
- Click the Windows taskbar icon on and right-click your firewall’s icon.
- Select the option to temporarily disable it and select the time duration between 15-20 minutes.
- Once the firewall is disabled, try to open the company file once again that is stored on the server.
- If you are now able to access the company file, then this indicates that your firewall is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the company file from the server.
- In the next step, we will add QuickBooks services and its port to permanently resolve any issues caused by the firewall.
Solution 7: Add Exception to Windows Firewall to Allow QuickBooks to Access the Server
- Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel.
- Open Windows Firewall and navigate to the Advanced Settings.
- Right-click Inbound Rules and select Port and then click Next.
- Make sure the TCP option is selected and now enter the ports specific for your QuickBooks version.
- You can find the port number by running QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Now follow the same steps and add outbound rules and also add the path for every QuickBooks service.
- Once the firewall is properly configured, try to open the company file once again on the workstation.