QuickBooks is an excellent accounting application that is not only approachable but also highly recommended by the business class. It deals in various types of files that sometimes work as backup files also. One of these is the Portable Company File (.QBM) which is a compact and condensed version of your Company Data File (.QBW). Like the original, the portable file is also bound to encounter certain complicated errors.
QuickBooks Portable File Creation Error is an issue that arises on the device when a user tries to create a portable file. This can occur due to a lot of reasons, a damaged file being one of them. The error is supported by a warning text saying, “You may not have sufficient permissions to create a portable company file from this computer. Please try creating the portable company file from the server: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.” As a consequence, QB may start lagging or stop responding to the multiple click requests you make. Go through the complete blog to gain a better insight.
Why am I Unable to Access the Portable Company File?
In this list, we have numbered some of the standard factors that trigger “Error cannot open the company file.” You might find yours –
- A damaged or corrupted company data file is the most significant factor that gives rise to the portable file error.
- If the data file is stored on the network drive or any other hardware storage, QuickBooks may be unable to work on it successfully.
- Inadequate rights are provided to the folder in which the QB files are stored.
How to Get Away from Portable Company File Issues?
Let us talk about the solutions that you can perform in your program in order to erase the QuickBooks desktop portable file error forever from your device –
Method 1 – Create a Copy of the Data File Yourself and Proceed to the Portable File
If you are unable to create a portable file through the original data file, try using a copy of the company file. This way, we can identify if the issue lies within your company file and it needs to be repaired or not –
- Hover over the Windows icon, right-click on it, and select File Explorer.
- When directed to a new window, locate the folder in which your QuickBooks data file is stored.
- Once you find the main company file (company file name.qbw), right-click and choose Copy.
- Move to your desktop home screen, right-click and select Paste.
- Launch the QuickBooks application and do not access the data file.
- Tap on the “Opening or restore an existing file” option and then choose “Open a company file.”
- Locate the newly copied file and open it on QB.
- Click on the File tab and hit the Create Copy option from the drop-down menu.
- Tap on the Portable company file and hit the Next button.
- The program will bring some prompts on your screen; follow those to create the portable company file (company file name.qbm).
Method 2 – Switch the Company File to the Local Drive and Run QB as Admin
Storing the company file on an external storage device or a shared network drive may expose it to potential threats and bugs. You must move the file to the local drive of your computer and then open it. Follow these steps to do so-
- Close your company file and exit from QuickBooks Desktop.
- Navigate to the network drive folder or the external storage device in which your QuickBooks company data file is stored.
- Locate the file, right-click on it and select Copy.
- Move to your local drive – C: drive or D: drive; right-click and select New Folder.
- Open the folder by double-clicking on it and paste the data file here.
- Close the window and open the Windows Start menu.
- Type QuickBooks Desktop and move your cursor on the option.
- Right-click on it and choose to Run as Administrator.
- When QB opens up, open your file from the local drive folder and try to create the portable file. The error should not exist anymore.
Method 3 – Provide Full Permission Access to the QuickBooks Folder
If the folder in which you have stored your data file does not have the right to operate freely, QuickBooks may start malfunctioning. This is how you can grant the required permissions –
- Tap on the Windows icon and go to the search panel.
- Type File Explorer and select the option to open a new window.
- Navigate to the QuickBooks folder, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Click on the Security tab and go to the Advanced section.
- Locate and choose the QBDataServiceUserXX option (XX is the version year) and hit the Edit button.
- Now, you must check if the following options are set to the Allowed mode –
a. Traverse Folder/Execute File
b. List Folder/Read Data
c. Read Attributes
d. Read Extended Attributes
e. Create Files/Write Data
f. Create Folders/Append Data
g. Write Attributes
h. Write Extended Attributes
i. Read Permissions
- If not, this is what you need to do.
- After you select QBDataServiceUserXX, choose Full Control and then press Allow.
- Click on the Apply button and OK to save the changes.
We shall now conclude our advisory blog on QuickBooks Portable File Creation Error. Hopefully, we were able to gather, cover and present the most valuable issue-related information to you to eventually eliminate the problem. But, if you feel stuck at any part of the blog and require a professional to guide you through it, get in touch with our support team.
QuickBooks Portable Company File – A Comprehensive Explanation
As we all know, Quickbooks is a very popular accounting software. It is one of the most prominent accounting giants, if not the best. Quickbooks mainly focuses on small and medium-sized enterprises and provides a wide range of tools that are capable of carrying 0ut almost all the accounting needs. A lot of data has to be processed by Quickbook in order to provide a high-order user experience. Also, users like you and I store a lot of important business data in Quickbook. It will be very disappointing if one day all this data gets damaged out of the blue. To avoid this you will have to create a Quickbooks Portable File. This will help in avoiding unnecessary data loss.
So, luckily you have landed on the most appropriate page. Here you will learn how to create and restore a Quickbooks Portable Company file. First things first, before understanding how to do this, you should know what QuickBooks portable company file is. Let’s get into that first.
What is Quickbooks Portable File?
- The QuickBooks portable company file is a teensy-weensy copy or replication of the financial data. This is the data you send through email or any portable media like flash or external drive.
- The portable does not contain any templates, letters, images, and logos.
- The transaction log (*.tlg) is also not comprised in it.
- Long story short, Quickbooks Portable File is a great piece of tool that you would want by your side. Having a portable file will make your data secure and sound. You no longer have to worry about losing your vital Quickbooks information anymore.
How to Restore a Portable File in Quickbooks?
- Navigate to the File menu, and then you have to select Create Copy.
- Click on the Portable company file and then select Next.
- Now, determine the file destination where you desire to save the portable copy.
- Select Save and then hit OK.
Ways to retrieve data
Here are the ways using which you can restore the Quickbooks Company file. Let’s see how you can do it.
You can follow the steps given below in order to restore a backup company file:
- Firstly, open Quickbooks Desktop and select the File menu. Here, you have to choose Open or Restore Company.
- Now, select Restore a backup copy and then click on Next.
- It’s time for you to select Local Backup. Hit Next.
- You will see that a dropdown will appear. From this dropdown choose the file location of the backup file. The location where you want to save it.
- Now, browse and select the backup file from the folder and provide it with a name.
- Simply tap on Open and then hit Next
- The Save-in window will appear, you have to save the restored file.
- Select Save, with utter care you have to read and respond to the messages that appear on your screen.
How to fix Unable To Create or Restore a Portable Company File Issue?
Follow the steps below to resolve the issue.
Method 1: Copy the QB the Quickbooks Company Files
- Initially, open the folder where the saved files are situated.
- Simply right-click the wanted file and then, select the Copy.
- You have to keep this in mind while creating the portable files,. Do not forget to copy the .qbw extension file/files.
- Also, while restoring the portable file/files, you have to copy the .qbm extension file/files.
- Paste the file anywhere on the desktop.
- Simply hold the Ctrl key while clicking the QuickBooks icon. By doing this, you will be able to launch the No Company Open window.
- Now, try to create & restore the portable file.
Method 2: Try an attempt to work on the sample file
- The very first step is to Open a Sample File tab in the No Company Open.
- You can make use of the company file to create a portable file. Now, save it to the Desktop.
- Under the File menu, you will have to select the Close Company/Logoff option.
- Now try to restore the portable file that you wish to.
You can also read Quickbooks Enterprise for Mac Download and Set Up
Method 3: Repair Quickbooks
- You have to hold the Ctrl +Alt + Del keys simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Select the Task Manager option.
- Simply choose the Process tab.
- Now, Right-Click on any of the QuickBooks processes.
- Click on the End Process button.
- You will see a confirmation process window. Now, in this, select end all processes.
- Simply restart Quickbooks again.
- Finally, click on Repair QuickBooks.
Method 4: Clean installation of Quickbooks
As our drawback is that we have a tendency cannot install the Quickbooks software package properly. just in case you’ve got put in it improperly, you’ll be able to attempt a clean install of the software package. So, here is how you can do this.
- Download Quickbooks Tool Hub if you do not have one. And then open it.
- Now navigate to Installation problems.
- Click on the clean install tool.
- The clean install can mechanically take away every and each Quickbooks-related file. it’ll then set up the Quickbooks desktop software package.
Another Interesting topic that you can read about is Quickbooks Audit Trail Removal.
We hope that you were able to perform the restoration of portable files using our methods. Don’t forget to check out other articles on QB errors as an act of gratitude. You may know, gratitude always reciprocates. So, till then adios.
Create, Open and Send Portable File in QuickBooks
QuickBooks portable file is a replica or compact version of your company file. By using this portable file, you can fix issues related to data. In addition, QuickBooks portable company files can be used to restore the data you have lost due to errors. If you want to know what is a QuickBooks portable file and how to create portable file in QuickBooks, we will enlighten you.
What is a QuickBooks Portable File?
QuickBooks portable company file is basically a replica or compact version of your financial data. You can send portable files via emails or portable media such as external or flash drives. QuickBooks portable company file plays a major role in solving data issues because QuickBooks software re-indexes the data while the portable company file is being restored.
This should also be noted that a portable company file does not contain logos, templates, logos, and images. Moreover, it does not comprise transaction or log files, statement writer, fixed asset manager, or loan manager files. However, if you create QuickBooks portable file extension, it helps you to repair certain errors and restore the lost company data.
What Conditions Need to be Met Before Creating a Portable File?
Before learning how to create a portable file in QuickBooks, one should keep a few important points into consideration. You can check them out here:
- QuickBooks Desktop should be updated to the latest version.
- Make sure that all the versions of QuickBooks logged in as an admin so that you can easily create and return the portable copy.
- When you provide the replica of your QuickBooks Online portable file to another user, the user can have access to your QuickBooks data and can edit the transaction and alter the admin password.
- If you have used the portable file to solve any data problem then you need to make sure you don’t overwrite an original file when restoring the QuickBooks portable replica. Before you restore the portable company file, you can rename an original file instead.
- When you send the company file to an accountant, make sure you use a copy of the accountant.
How Do I Create a Portable File in QuickBooks?
To create a portable file in QuickBooks, one has to perform a number of steps. First of all, you need to update your accounting software to the latest version. Later, you are required to create a backup of your company files. Only after that, you can create your portable company file.
Make a Portable Company File in QuickBooks
By creating a portable company file, you can fix a number of errors. Using the copy of a portable file, you can retrieve your data that has been lost due to errors.
To create a new portable company file, all you are required to do is click on the File menu and choose the Create Copy button. After that, you can click on the Portable company file, name it, and choose a location on your device to save the portable file.
If you want to know how to create a portable QuickBooks file in detail, one can pursue the following instructions:
- Before proceeding further, make sure you are using QuickBooks as an admin.
- Then, click on the “File” menu.
- Click the “Create Copy” button.
- Here, you are required to choose the “Portable company file”.
- Hit the “Next” button.
- Now, you can give your portable file a name. This becomes easy for you to recognize your portable file amongst other files.
- At this point, you need to pick a location on your device to save the portable company file.
- Then, press the “Save” and “OK” buttons respectively.
Once you are done creating a portable company file, you can either put it on USB or send it online. But remember that sending the portable file means giving access to your files. The portable file is password protected, hence, requires you to enter the password to open the portable file.
How to Open QuickBooks Portable Company File?
If you have created a portable company file, you can open it in order to reindex the data. To open the portable company file, you are required to visit the File menu, click on the Open or Restore Company option, and choose the Restore a portable file. Once you select the portable company file, hit the Open button.
You can follow these step by step instructions:
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop”. Make sure you log in as an admin.
- Click on the “File” menu.
- Select the “Open or Restore Company” option.
- Hit the “Restore a portable file” button.
- Now, the “Next” button has to be chosen.
- At this point, you need to pick the portable company file. The file name file must have a .qbm file extension in the end.
- Press the “Open” button.
- When you see the “Where do you want to restore the file” screen, you can read the notes and hit the “Next” button.
- Once you want to open the file, press the “Save” button.
Important Note: Make sure you don’t prefer the same file for the regular file or portable company file. If you save these files with the same name in the same folder then it will overwrite the regular. In such a scenario, you should rename the portable file. Yet you want to save it with the same name then make sure you choose a different folder or location.
As you open the portable company file, your QuickBooks software will reindex the data automatically. This way you can repair several issues related to the data.
How to Send Portable QuickBooks File?
QuickBooks allows you to save or send portable company files, the backup copy, and the accountant’s copy. Portable company files are highly compressed and thus, the best way to send a portable company file is to send a QuickBooks data copy via email.
You can follow this step-by-step procedure for sending a portable QuickBooks file.
- Open the “Email” service.
- Compose your message.
- While attaching the file, you can browse the “QuickBooks Portable Company file (.qbm)”.
Did you come across an error message while creating or opening a portable company file (.qbm)? We know it must have stressed you, but you don’t need to. In this article, we’ll help you get aware of the possible steps by following which you would be able to fix QuickBooks Desktop and thus, you’’ be able to restore QuickBooks portable company file. It will allow you to use your portable company file to move your accounting data or repair your file. To restore the file, you must proceed with the steps mentioned in the next section of this blog.
Unable To Restore A QuickBooks Portable Company File? Follow The Below Steps
Here, we have mentioned all steps that will help you restore QuickBooks portable company file:
Step 1: Create a manual copy of your company file
You can try creating a copy of your primary company file and use it to create an additional portable copy. To do so, proceed with the below-given steps:
- Click on the Windows icon and type “File Explorer” into the search space and open File Explorer.
- Search and find the folder named as QuickBooks folder in which you have stored the company file.
After that, follow the steps depending on what you were doing i.e. creating or restoring QuickBooks Portable Company File while you end up with the QuickBooks not responding while creating portable company file error.
If you were creating portable company file:
- Search for the company file that has the .qbw extension. It should look like: [Your Company File].qbw.
- Right-click the file and select the copy option.
- Now, go to your Windows desktop, right-click anywhere and select Paste.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop application.
Note: Make sure to not open the company file.
- Further, click on opening or restore an existing file option followed by Open a company file.
- Browse your computer and open the copied company file that you pasted to your Windows desktop.
- In the open copy of your company file drop-down, go to the File menu and select Create Copy option.
- There, select the Portable company file option and then Next.
- At last, follow the instructions that appear on your screen to create another portable company file.
If you were able to create a portable company file, it signifies that there’s an issue with the location of your original company file. Thus, from now onwards make sure to use the copied company file as your main company file. Moreover, rename your original company file by adding old in the name so that you don’t use it again.
If you were restoring a portable company file
- Search your portable company file, it would have a .qbm extension. It should look like this: [Your Company File].qbm.
- Right-click the file and select Copy.
- Navigate to the Windows desktop, right-click anywhere and select Paste.
- Now, open QuickBooks but don’t open your company file.
- After that, select Opening or restore an existing file option followed by Restore a portable file.
- Lastly, browse your computer and open the copied portable company file that you pasted to your Windows desktop.
It’s great if you’re able to open the copied portable company file, as you can use it to move your accounting data. To avoid using the older file, rename the original portable file by adding old at the end of it.
Step 2: Open a sample company file
To make sure, if there’s a major issue with your company file, you can create a portable company file by using a sample company file. For doing so, proceed with the below-given steps:
- Open QuickBooks and select Open a Sample File in place of selecting your company file.
- In the sample company file, create a portable company file by following the steps that appear on your screen.
- Once created, save it on your Windows desktop.
- Open QuickBooks application, go to the File menu and select Close Company/Logoff option.
- Follow the on-screen steps to open the portable company file you created in the sample company.
If you were able to restore QuickBooks portable company file from the sample company, it signifies that there is some issue with the main company file.