The dynamicity of Quickbooks is such that it doesn’t need any specific introduction. It is on the top list among various accounting software in the world. Yet, it is subjected to many Quickbooks errors. In this guide, we are going to learn about one such Quickbooks won’t open error. Well, you are not the only one receiving this error as it is a common issue and you can also root out it easily.
This guide will be a great help for all the users out there. So, keep reading the guide and get to know about the error issue in a more detailed way. It’s an assurance from us that till the end of the article, you will become clever enough to identify the cause, symptoms, and techniques to resolve the error. Now, let’s get into the guide with the little brief of Quickbooks won’t open.
Quickbooks Won’t Open: A Brief Introduction
Quickbooks won’t open occurs at the time of accessing the Quickbooks desktop with the error message that states that Quickbooks desktop won’t open or doesn’t start.
Whereas, in some cases, the system freezes instantly without displaying any kind of error message. This contributes to the corruption within the QB file. Well, there are several factors responsible for all these hindrances. To know them, read below:
My Quickbooks Won’t Open: Responsible Factors
There can be many factors that can help the error to exist in the system. We have to root out each of them to fix the issue.
- Having a corrupted hard disk can lead to an error.
- If there is an incorrect installation of the Quickbooks desktop.
- When the QBWUSER.INI file gets missing or damaged.
- Additionally, if the file size is bigger and larger than the actual size.
- The outdated operating system can be another cause of the error.
- Using the incorrect and outdated version of Quickbooks to access the company file.
- Hidden issues with the reports in the file.
- Applying an incorrect method to open a QB file can also lead to the error.
These trivial issues can cause havoc like Quickbooks won’t open the company file. But with the correct troubleshooting, we can easily resolve this agitating error. Now, let’s get into the identification of the error that will guide you in detecting the error.
Quickbooks Won’t Open the Company File: Symptoms
Given below are the general symptoms that will inform you about the corruption within the Quickbooks file.
- If the system freezes periodically.
- Slow response of the system to the inputs of mouse and keyboards.
- Occurrence of error messages like Quickbooks has stopped working or Quickbooks won’t open.
- The user fails to access the company file.
- Freezing of the QB software.
- Windows running at a snail’s pace.
These are all the signs that keep on emerging in the system till the error is resolved.
Tips to Know before Troubleshooting
Try to consider all these tips before moving to the troubleshooting of Quickbooks won’t open the company file.
- Repair the Quickbooks Desktop Installation.
- Try to rename the TLG and ND files for the company file.
- Restrain Quickbooks Desktop installation.
- Disable the hosting on all the workstations.
- Update the QB desktop with the latest available version.
Now that we have understood the causes, symptoms, and these important tips. It’s time to proceed with the troubleshooting method. So, let’s get into it.
Techniques to Troubleshoot Quickbooks Won’t Open
There are various techniques that you can use to eliminate this software error. Just ensure to perform all these relevant methods until the error is resolved.
Technique 1: Download and Run Quick Fix My Program for the Quickbooks Tools Hub.
Quickbooks tool hub comes as the savior for all the software users whose system keeps on corrupting with the errors issue. It is the hub of the most dynamic tools. With this tool, we can tackle company file, installation, and multi-user errors in minimal time. At this time, we are trying to do the same by using one of the most advanced tools Quick Fix my Program.
- The first thing that we need to do is to download the Quickbooks Tool Hub from the official site of Intuit.
- Once downloaded, save the file on the Windows desktop or the location where it can easily be recognized.
- Now twice tap on the downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe)
- In the next step, try to install the program by following the on-screen commands and agree to the terms and conditions.
- After the installation procedure becomes finished, double-click on the QB tool hub icon to launch the tool.
- When it opens successfully, select the Program Problems tab.
- Consequently, choose Quick Fix my Progam.
- Now just wait for few seconds and then start the Quickbooks followed by opening the data file.
Technique 2: Download and Run Quickbooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Resolving different kinds of errors is just a slight issue for the tools like Quickbooks Install Diagnostic Tool. The tool is developed to diagnose the issues with the aid of the Microsoft components. Microsoft Components is used in the QB software that includes Microsoft .NET Framework, Microsoft Visual C ++, and Microsoft MSXML.
Furthermore, the tool can resolve the Quickbooks errors that appear at the time of installation of the software. So, use this knight in shining armor and resolve the error issue.
- The first and foremost step for you to do is to open the Tool Hub application on the system.
- Now choose the Installation issues from the side corner.
- After that select Quickbooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Once it is finished the process then reboot the system. As it will modify the system with all the changes.
- In the final step, start the software and try to access the company file.
Technique 3: Access the Company file from a different folder location.
Most of the time the folder contains the QB file gets corrupted and damaged. So, to save the data stored in the company file, we just need to modify the location of the folder which we can easily do with the guidance of these steps:
- Firstly, you need to tap on the Windows + E button.
- Secondly, try to spot the file with extension .qbw. Now, if the file is located on a network server then you need to browse to the network drive that has the data file.
- Once completed the above procedure, tap right on the company file and choose the Copy option.
- After that, try to spot the C: Drive and consequently make a new folder.
- At this stage, try to name the newly made folder QBTEST.
- Moving on, you are recommended to launch the new QBTEST folder and also paste the company file into the same folder.
- Later on, you need to open the Quickbooks accounting software and press the CTRL key.
- In the next step, tap on Open or Restore an existing company and also try to examine the C:\QBTEST folder that is formed earlier.
- Lastly, try to open the company file that you copy in the QBTEST folder.
You may also like: Ways to Manually Fix Quickbooks .Net Framework – [Solution Guide]
Technique 4: Block the QBW32.exe process
- Start the procedure by moving towards the Windows Taskbar.
- Then right-click on it and choose the Start Task Manager.
- In the next step, hit the process button and then select the Image name header.
- Once done, you can see that the previous step sorts the processes alphabetically.
- In the last step, end the process by tapping on it.
Technique 5: Remove or Rename QBWUSER.INI file
To clear the information consisted in QBWUSER.INI, we have to rename or deletes the file through these steps:
- The first step in the process is pressing the Windows + E button.
- Now tap on folder and search options under the organize tab.
- After that press the view tab.
- Moving on, choose Advanced settings > Hidden files and folders and select Show Hidden files and folders.
- Then hit on the OK button.
- Subsequently, visit My Computer > C: Drive > Documents > Your User Name > Local Settings > Application data > Intuit > Quickbooks Year.
- After finishing all these steps, tap right on the QBWUSER.INI file and select delete or rename options.
Key Note: The thing that needs to keep in mind is that the QB software automatically builds the new QBWUSER.INI
Technique 6: Using Clean Install for Uninstalling or Reinstalling Quickbooks
- First of all, tap on Windows + R button and open the Run command.
- After that enter Control Panel on the search bar and hit the OK button.
- The user now moves to the Programs and Features and tap on Uninstall a Program.
- Moving on, choose Quickbooks Desktop from the list of all software.
- And tap on the Uninstall button
Once done with the uninstallation process, you need to download and install the Quickbooks Clean Install Tool from the official website of Intuit with the lead of these steps:
- To begin, download the tool.
- Now go to the file location and install the application by following on-screen guidelines.
- Click on I accept and then try to open the Quickbooks Tool Hub.
- At this moment, click on Installation issues and then tap on the Clean Install Tool.
- Select the Quickbooks desktop version which is installed earlier and tap on the Continue button.
- Now you will see a message on the screen Please Install your copy of Quickbooks to the default location and hit the OK button.
After performing all these steps you are now prepared to reinstall the Quickbooks.
- To reinstall, insert the CD of Quickbooks desktop and follow the onscreen prompts.
- Try to provide QB’s Product and License number.
- Accordingly, follow the on-screen guidelines.
- Now tap on the Next button.
- In this step, just select the type of installation and choose Next > Install.
- You will now good to go with QB software.
Technique 7: Make a New Window Admin user
- To initiate, click on the Control Panel and tap twice on the User Account.
- Now tap on the Manage User tab and select Add tab.
- After performing all these steps, try to mention the name as well as the domain of the admin.
- As well as hit the OK button.
- In this step, choose the administrator if you are a user of Windows 10.
- Tap on the finish tab which will redirect you to the user accounts dialog box.
- In the last step, hit the OK button.
Technique 8: Restrain Quickbooks Desktop Installation
- The first thing that you need to do is to right-click on the Quickbooks desktop icon.
- Now press on the CTRL key and select the open tab.
- Press and hold the CTRL key till the No Company Open Window appears.
- In the last step, just open Quickbooks.
Quickbooks won’t open is not a major issue. It’s like any other error and fault which needs to be fixed with the proper troubleshooting methods. In this guide, we have tried to do the same to help you out from this difficult situation. Implementing any of the above techniques can help in resolving the error. But, if you stick in the middle of the operation then reach out to the Quickbooks Technical Support team via calls, e-mails, and chats.
What To Do When QuickBooks Won’t Open?
Though sometimes some issues or errors might come up that can make a great deal of annoyance while you are in the middle of important work. One such problem is “QuickBooks won’t open or QuickBooks will not open”. You can correct the problem with the below-given solutions
Reasons Why QuickBooks Won’t Open?
Several factors lead to “QB Desktop not starting up”. However, the problem arises when an application related to accounting software is already opened in the background. It is recommended to end the process and restart again.
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks won’t open error
You can perform the below solutions to rectify QuickBooks would not open error:
“Close all processes that are running in the background.”
- Go to “Windows taskbar “and select the “start the task manager” option
- Select the “processes tab” and click “name” option after that to sort all visible processes in alphabetical
- Click “qbw32.exe” and select “end process “ to close the background process.
“Check & verify whether QuickBooks is working properly Check and verify whether or QuickBooks not opening properly.”
- Navigate to “QuickBooks Desktop” icon.
- Do a right-click after a long press of the “Ctrl” key
- Then click the open tab
- Now access the “company ”
THINGS TO REMEMBER: It is essential to know that the “ctrl” key should not be left until you view a “no company open screen.” Provide some time to QuickBooks to recover and function properly. Over-clicking an icon at times can also lead to software not opening issues.
Additionally, to the above-provided solutions, the issue can be resolved by using “QB Install the program,” “repairing software installation process” & “performing a clean uninstallation and re-installation.”
Let’s learn on the procedure to “Run QBInstall”
QBInstall is a specially designed diagnostic tool that is useful to solve a wide range of issues and errors that occur while working on QuickBooks Desktop. You can download and install the “Diagnostic Tool” with the help of below-given steps.
- Download the “QBInstall tool” and save “.exe file” on the local desktop.
- Now run the tool once all the programs in the background have been shut down.
- The step will take nearly 20 mins or so for a successful installation ( the time depends on the internet speed and system performance as well).
- Now you will “Run” the too and ensure that all components have been carefully updated.
- Lastly, restart the computer
A clean installation is that process that involves the installation of all the files in the new folders having the same location as the default folder. If every solution fails, then you can attempt a clean installation & re-installation of QB Desktop.
Alternatively, you can perform the below-given method to manage the problem.
You need to restart the system where QuickBooks is “hosted.” Several times it is seen that some minor issues get sorted after restarting the system.
If the above solutions cannot fix your QuickBooks won’t open error, you need to speak to an expert on it. The technical issues can be complicated and time-consuming to solve. An expert would advise on the right method to sort this. Call at QuickBooks Desktop Support .
Quickbooks Won’t Open
As we all know, Quickbooks is the most versatile and powerful accounting software that every small and medium-sized company has. This software is developed and marketed by an American Software development company Intuit. QuickBooks has the capability to maintain all kinds of tasks related to accounting and book-keeping such as bill payment, track inventory, record all types of transactions, tax calculator, set a reminder for the next payment, and much more in no time that a human will take a whole day to complete it. But sometimes users have to face some difficulties trying to work on Quickbooks. Quickbooks refuse to open because of some reason and then a dialogue pop-up box flashes on the screen with an error message: QuickBooks Won’t Open.
This Quickbooks Won’t Open is the most common error of QuickBooks and appears anytime unknowingly. When Quickbooks won’t open the company file many works get stopped in between that may irritate the user but now to worry, this post will help you out to erase the error completely from your system. This error arrives because of some technical fault in the system. That’ why it is advised to always keep the system updated so that it has tools to redeem these types of errors. Frequently updates may also avoid these types of errors in Quickbooks. Despite that there several other reasons behind Quickbooks won’t open errors in Quickbooks. But before hoping to the factors, let’s understand the error in detail explained below.
What is Quickbooks Won’t Open Error?
When a user tries to open the Quickbooks Company file and the prompted action rejects the access to the company file and a message pop-up on the screen QuickBooks won’t open or stopped working, that means the user is now encountering an error. The error affects the speed of your system, it becomes sluggish and slows comparatively when the user tries to open a company file and Quickbooks will not open. This is one out of the Company file error just like Quickbooks error 1603, or error 1935, or error 1402. When QuickBooks won’t open error appears a message pop-up on the screen with a message:
Factors Triggered the “Quickbooks Doesn’t Starts” Error
This error might have several reasons for occurring in your Quickbooks Company file and hinder your work in mid-way. Some major factors are right-below
- When the company name is too long, is also be a reason behind the error
- When multiple users are trying to access the company file in single-user mode then Quickbooks will not open.
- The QBWUSER.INI file is damaged or corrupted.
- The user is using the wrong method to open the Company file.
- User will encounter QuickBooks is not Opening because the company file has Report issues
- The Window Operating system is Corrupted or Damaged
- QuickBooks Desktop Installation is not functioning effectively.
Signs when Quickbooks Won’t Open the Company File
When Quickbooks won’t open error occurs and refuse the command to open the Quickbooks Company file that affects the system. This effect can be seen in your system. These signs are:
- QuickBooks Desktop starts freezing repeatedly while working on the same application.
- The system responds slow and sluggish to all the input devices i.e. Keyboard and mouse.
- The company file refuses to open.
- The computer system crashes frequently.
- User will Encounter an error message on the display screen i.e. Quickbooks won’t open or QuickBooks not opening.
Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Won’t Open Error
After knowing all the above facts, factors, and signs of Quickbooks won’t open error. Now the user is required to learn how to resolve the error when Quickbooks won’t open the company file. This post includes all the simple and easy methods to resolve the error with a step-by-step guide. These are some of the methods:
Method: 1 Restart the System
- Before applying any other methods, Restart or Reboot your system to configure the error
- After restarting the system, try to open the company file to check the error is still lies in the system or not.
Method: 2 Use Quickbooks Install Diagnostic Tool
When rebooting option does not work for the error try the Quickbooks Install Diagnostic Tool to redeem the error when Quickbooks not opening.
- Go to the official site of Intuit to download and install the QB Diagnostic Install tool.
- After the installation, go to the QB Diagnostic Tool.
- Click on the button “Quickbooks install Diagnostic Tool” to start the scan
- This process will take some time to scan the error from your system and resolve it.
- After the diagnosis is completed, just restart your device and make sure all the vital components for QuickBooks are updated.
Method: 3 Rename the QBWUSER.INI File
When you rename/delete QBWUSER.INI File, it erases all the information saved in that list opened previously.
- Press the Windows +E key on the keyboard to prompt the organizer tab
- Under the organize tab, go to the top left of the tab and click on the Folder and then press the search option.
- Now click on the View tab
- Now navigate to the Advanced Settings
- Then go to the Show hidden file and folder option and tap on the ok
- Now go to the My Computer>> C: Drive >> Documents>> [Your User name]>> Local Settings>> Application Data>> Intuit>> QuickBooks[Year].
- Now, navigate to the QBWUSER.INI File and right-click on Rename/Delete option to rename the file name
If the user deletes the QBWUSER.INI file, Quickbooks automatically rebuild the file.
Method: 4 Uninstall the Quickbooks Desktop then Re-Install it.
When the user performs the uninstallation task on Quickbooks and then re-install it, it allows the QuickBooks system to refresh itself on its own and coming back with the latest available version of it at the same time. That’s why this method works as a significant role in resolving the Quickbooks not opening error.
Method: 5 Stops the QBW32.exe File
- The first and foremost step is to go to the Windows taskbar and right-click on it.
- In the prompted lits select the Task Manager.
- In the Task manager go to the click on the processes tab
- Now click on the image name header to minimize the processes alphabetically.
- Now navigate and select the QBW32.exe File and then click on the end process option.
By performing the above steps, the QBW32.exe process will definitely be closed and then after when you click on the QuickBooks help Company file, it will open without showing any error message. But in case the Quickbooks will not open, then try the next solution method.
Method: 6 Rename the .TLG and .ND file Extension
Sometimes Quickbooks company file refuses to open because of too long the name of the file. So, it’s recommended to rename the company file name with the remaining the .TGLG and .ND file extension. Follow the step to do it right.
- First of all, the user is required to go to the folder where the company file is saved.
- Now right click on the transaction log file with the extension .TLG and rename it with the company file names and add old after the name i.e. Company_file_name.OLD.QBW.TLG
- Repeat the same process to rename .ND file with changing or deleting the extension code.
- Now to the QuickBooks Desktop to open the company file.
Regarding all the above information about the QuickBooks won’t open error, we hope that it’s informative to you to understand and resolve the error. This post has the data about why this error occurs and after occurring error what are the signs users will encounter on the computer. This post also covers all the different method to redeem the error from the system in step by step guide. All the above solutions are helpful and easy to apply but in any case, you can not erase the error on your own or you think this solution much tricky to apply to resolve the error then you must contact the Quickbooks Customer support experts to get assistance. You just have to call or text them and explain all the issues, told them that your Quickbooks not opening, they will return to you with the solution in no time.
How to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Won’t Open or Doesn’t Start Issue?
Learn the best steps to fix QuickBooks wont open or QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t start problem:
QuickBooks accounting software needs no specific introduction. It is one of the finest accounting software that has simplified the way people used to carry out their accounting and bookkeeping activities. A fact that can’t be denied is QuickBooks is prone to unnumbered errors, that can be very annoying for the users. QuickBooks won’t open or doesn’t start problem is one of the most annoying error that leaves you in an unexpected state. It is a technical error that is often seen while opening the QuickBooks software. If you are facing any such issue, then you can read this post till the end. This post will brief you with the causes and fixes to QuickBooks desktop doesn’t start or won’t open error.
What is QuickBooks won’t open issue and why it occurs?
Well, before learning the causes and fixes to this technical snag, it is important for you to understand the basic facts about this error. This error is usually seen when a user tries to open the QuickBooks desktop or a company file but failed to do. It comes up with an error message stating QuickBooks desktop won’t open or doesn’t start.
However, in some situations no error might appear on the screen, but the system freezes suddenly. As a consequence of this error, you might face issues with the system as well. It might also affect the company file and it’s data. There are several possible triggers to this error, which we will be discussing later in this post.
What triggers to this error?
Talking about the factoring causing or triggering this issue, the list is not huge. There can be a couple of factors that can end up in QuickBooks doesn’t start issue. Let us have a look at some of the most common factors:
- The first reason can be corrupted hard disk.
- There is very large company name.
- You are using an outdated operating system.
- Incorrect installation of QuickBooks desktop can be one essential factor.
- Missing or damaged QBWUSER.INI file.
Signs and symptoms of QuickBooks doesn’t start or won’t open error
In order to identify the QuickBooks won’t open issue, you can check out the below listed signs and symptoms.
- First sign can be if the QuickBooks software freezes or the QuickBooks company file fails to open.
- You might also encounter this issue if the windows run slowly.
- If the system hangs every now and then.
- If the system responds slowly to keyboard or mouse inputs.
- You can’t able to open your QuickBooks.
Important tips before troubleshooting
You can perform these steps before proceeding to the fixation methods:
- Update your QuickBooks desktop to latest
- Turn off hosting on your workstations
- Suppress the QuickBooks Desktop application
- Rename the TLG and ND files for your company file
- Repair your QuickBooks Desktop Installation
Read this also: Troubleshoot QuickBooks Web connector error QBWC1085
Methods to resolve QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t start or won’t open issue
Now that you know what factors might cause the issue, signs and symptoms, and various other facts related to this error. It is the right time to start with the fixation procedures. So, let us check out the methods that can help users in resolving the QuickBooks won’t open error:
Method 1: Running Quick fix my program from QuickBooks tool hub
Step 1: Downloading and installing the QuickBooks Tool hub
- Firstly, you need to close QuickBooks.
- And then download the QuickBooks tool hub file form here. Also, save the file where it can be accessed easily.
- Next step is to open the downloaded file and follow the onscreen instructions for installing the tool and also agree to the terms and conditions.
- Now you need to double click the icon on the windows desktop to open the tool hub.
Step 2: Run Quick fix my program
- After the QuickBooks tool hub is downloaded you will have to run the quick fix my program.
- For that select the program problems in the tools hub.
- And then choose quick fix my program.
- At last select the start QuickBooks desktop and open the data file.
Method 2: Running QuickBooks install diagnostic tool from QuickBooks tools hub
- In this method, you need to open the QuickBooks tools hub which was downloaded earlier.
- And then select the installation issues.
- After that choose the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool and let it run.
- This might take some time i.e. approximately 20 minutes.
- Now once the tool completes its task, you are supposed to reboot the system.
- And start QuickBooks and open the data file.
Method 3: Opening company file from a different folder location
Many times, the location of the company file might get damaged or corrupted, which ultimately lead to this error. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Firstly press Windows + E keys together.
- And then look for the data file with .qbw file extension. When you look for a file location on a network server, that needs to browse to the network drive on which the data file is located.
- Next step is to hit a right click and press copy.
- Now locate the C: drive and make a new folder there and after that name that as QBTEST.
- You are then required to open the new QBTEST folder and paste the company file.
- Also open QuickBooks and hold the CTRL key.
- In last steps you need to press open or restore an existing company and examine the C:\QBTEST folder that was built.
- And open the company file copied in the QBTEST Folder.
Method 4: Perform a Clean installation of QuickBooks
Many times, clean installation of QuickBooks fixes a lot of errors. So, it is recommended to uninstall and re-install the QuickBooks desktop. This process can be pretty much helpful in fixing the QuickBooks won’t open issue. However, if it doesn’t work, you can check out the other available options as well.
Method 5: Rebooting the system
There can be certain errors that can be fixed by merely restarting the system. Hence, you are suggested to open the Start menu and then hit a click on the power tab, followed by selecting the restart option. After the restart is done, you can open QuickBooks desktop and check if the error persists.
You may also like: Converting a QuickBooks Online Company File to Desktop
Method 6: Creating a new windows admin user
- In this process, you need to click the control panel and then navigate through it.
- Also double click the user account and then manage user tab. Also, click the add tab.
- Once done with that, you need to enter the name as well as domain of the admin and hit OK button.
- After that, choose administrator, if you are using Windows 10.
- And then click finish, which will direct to the user accounts dialog box and also hit OK and you are good to go.
Method 7: Close QBW32.exe process
- Close the QBW32.exe process by right click the windows taskbar and select the start task manager option.
- And then hit a click on the process tab and also click on image name.
- Next step is to locate and select exe.
- And also click on end process to close exe process and you are done.
You might also like: Fix QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Problem
Method 8: Rename the QBWUSER.INI file
- Initially, you need to access the folder where ini file is saved.
- And then hit a click on the QBWUSER.INI file and also select the rename option.
- You are also supposed to type in Insert.old in the last file name and change the name of ecml.file.
- And lastly, check if the error persists.
Method 9: Suppressing QuickBooks desktop installation
- For this, you will have to right click the QuickBooks desktop icon.
- After that press on Ctrl key and also choose open tab. Hold Ctrl key till the No company open window appears.
- The last step is to open QuickBooks desktop.
Instant support is just a call away!
Implementing any of the above stated methods can work in fixing the QuickBooks wont open issue. However, if a situation arises when none of the above methods worked in fixing the issue on your behalf, then in that case we would recommend you to get in touch with our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team of experts and certified accounting professionals who can handle the situation for you.
Why My QuickBooks Won’t Open or Not Start and How should I Fix it?
Sometimes, software like QuickBooks does not start when its installation has not been done in the proper way. Along with this, the system on which the software is used can also have problems. This may lead to troubles when you are opening QuickBooks. When QuickBooks won’t open, we advise the users to implement the Quick Fix My Program. It works as a tool to eliminate the causes of the troubles and assists in you successfully opening the accounting software.
When you begin to notice problems in opening the QuickBooks software’s versions, you can stop certain processes, fix the installation issues, or simply restart your Windows 10 computer. These fixes can effectively clear the issues when QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Pro, or QuickBooks Online won’t start or load. Expectedly, you can also hope to troubleshoot such problems on year versions of the software like 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
In this blog, you are likely to find many fixes when QuickBooks won’t start. These fixes will cover different versions of the software as well. You can know about the same through the following summary:Table Of Contentsshow
- Why won’t My QuickBooks Open?
- Resolving Troubles in Opening QuickBooks
- Fixing QuickBooks Desktop won’t Open
- QuickBooks Online won’t Open
- Troubleshooting QuickBooks won’t Open After Windows 10 Update
- Fixing QuickBooks 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, or 2019 won’t Open
- Troubleshooting QuickBooks Pro 2010/2013/2014/2015/2016 won’t Open
Why won’t My QuickBooks Open?
On learning that the QuickBooks program won’t open, you can expect one of these to be its causes:
- The company name may be too long.
- Your system’s hard disk may have become corrupted.
- The accounting software may not have been correctly installed.
- The QBWUSER.INI file may be missing. It is also possible that the file may have become damaged.
- Your computer’s OS may not have been updated.
- QuickBooks’ version may have become outdated.
Resolving Troubles in Opening QuickBooks
Quick Fix My Program should be immediately implemented when you find that QuickBooks is not opening. This tool has been used for a long time for fixing such an issue. Assuming that the location of your QuickBooks company file is affecting the software, you can choose any other location for opening it. Then the software will get started. Sometimes, the source of the issue may lie in your system. On Windows, you can prefer to make a new admin account. You can sign in from this account and ensure that the QuickBooks not opening issue has been resolved.
Fix 1: Try to Use Quick Fix My Program
Quick Fix My Program can be looked at as a tool. This tool has been crafted for eliminating certain bugs in QB. So, when you find problems in opening QuickBooks, this tool can be of help.
To start using Quick Fix My Program, it is vital to understand that the tool is a part of QuickBooks Tool Hub. Therefore, the tool hub has to be installed. After its installation, you can run it and tap on the Program Problems option. Find the said tool here. You can now begin running it. The tool will repair the issue that was leading to the difficulties in running QuickBooks.
- Exit the “QB” program.
- Start downloading the “126.96.36.199” version of “QuickBooks Tool Hub”.
- This is followed by saving the version’s file.
Note: When “QuickBooks Tool Hub” has already been installed, you need not install it again on your system. However, checking its version and then upgrading to the latest one will be advised. You can head to either the “Home” or “About” tab of the application to find out its existing version. Accordingly, you can update it.
- Launch the file after saving it.
- Start installing the application.
- Agree to QB Tool Hub’s “Terms and Conditions”.
- Visit “Desktop” when the application gets fully installed.
- You will notice that the icon of “QB Tool Hub” will be available. Press it two times. Instead of this, you can also use “Start Menu” to find the application and then open it from the results.
- When the application starts to run, you have to make a selection for “Program Problems”.
- Choose “Quick Fix My Program”.
- Run “QB Desktop”.
- Then launch a data file.
The problems that were earlier preventing you from opening the accounting software will now stop appearing.
Fix 2: Open Your Company File from Another Location
Several users prefer opening their company files for working on QuickBooks. Usually, they choose a particular location to open these files. You may be doing the same. It is possible that you notice difficulties while launching QuickBooks along with the company file. Problems in the location being used for launching this file may be the reason why QuickBooks won’t open. Therefore, our team suggests that another location should be preferred for opening this file. After this, you can access the software. The difficulties in the software should stop arising when such a measure is taken.
- Push these keys:
- “Windows” key + “E” key
Remember that you need to push them in one go.
- Look for a data file. The file should have “.qbw” in the place of its extension.
Note for Readers: If you are looking for the data file on your network server, then you will be suggested to go through your network drive. The drive will be carrying the said file.
- Now, right-tap on your “QuickBooks Company File”.
- Press “Copy”.
- Visit the “C: Drive”.
- Make a folder in the drive.
- Make sure that “QBTEST” is used as the name of this folder.
- Open the folder that you have formed on the “C: Drive”.
- Your company file has to be pasted in the “QBTEST” folder.
- Start running the accounting software.
- Push the “Ctrl” key for a while.
- Choose whether you want to open the existing company or restore it.
- After this, check the newly made folder.
- Next, run your company file from the new folder.
Now that the company file is being run from a newly formed folder on your drive, opening QB along with it should not result in any troubles.
Fix 3: Access QuickBooks from New Windows Admin Account
Your admin account on Windows can develop some issues. When an activity is done using this account, you may notice a failure in doing it. The same can hold true when you attempt to open QuickBooks. As a result of the issues in the admin account, QuickBooks won’t open on your Windows computer. You may try making a new admin account and then open the software via it.
On Windows, a new admin user account can be formed from the Control Panel. Tap twice on the option of User Account and then select Manage User. Press the Add button and then provide the administrator’s name and domain. Execute the remaining directions to establish the new user account.
- Using your existing user account, open “Control Panel”.
- Press “User Account” twice.
- Select “Manage User”.
- Tap on “Add”.
- Provide a name for the new administrator.
- Add the new administrator’s domain.
- Select “Ok”.
- Next, click on “Administrator”.
- Press the “Finish” tab.
- In the dialog box, choose “Ok”.
- Use your system with the new admin user account.
- After signing in from this user account, open the accounting software.
Note for Readers: The steps given above can be used on Windows 10 computers for making a new admin account.
Fixing QuickBooks Desktop won’t Open
When you are unable to open QuickBooks Desktop, you should check whether it was correctly installed by you. Any problems in its installation can be repaired. Also, you can check whether the QBW32.exe process is running. This process can be stopped for some time and then the accounting software’s version can be started. Another fix that can be employed when the software doesn’t open is to rename the QBWUSER.ini file on your PC. You only need to make changes to the extension of this file to fix the issue.
You can learn more about what to do when QuickBooks Desktop won’t open through the following sections.
Fix 1: Stop the QBW32.exe Process
QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t start or won’t open when the QBW32.exe process is running. The process may be generating certain conflicts. Therefore, stopping it for some time will be best. Using the Taskbar of Windows, you can choose an option that states Start Task Manager. Then you can head to the Process tab. The Image Name option will be present here. Look for EXE. When you have found it, press the End Process tab.
- First, right-tap on “Taskbar” of Windows.
- Click on “Start Task Manager”.
- Visit the tab for “Process”.
- Select “Image Name” for alphabetically arranging the processes.
- Find “EXE” and choose it.
- Tap on the option of “End Process”.
- Now, you have to exit “EXE Process“.
Shortly after this, QuickBooks Desktop can be opened. You may not find any trouble in opening it.
Fix 2: Assign Another Name to QBWUSER.ini. File
The QBWUSER.ini. file has been found to be a cause of the problem in which QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t open. There is a simple measure to remove this cause. You are only required to change its name by making certain edits. Along with this file, the measure will become even more effective when the ECML file’s name has also been changed.
To change the name of the QBWUSER.ini and ECML files, you can first locate them. Then you can take the assistance of the Rename option. You have to include “.old” in the changed names and save the changes.
- Find the folder in which the “INI” file has been kept.
Note for Readers: In a number of instances, the folder of the “INI” file could not be found. This was due to the reason that this file’s folder was hidden. On finding that the same is the case with you too, the hidden files will have to be enabled. Additionally, the hidden folders can also be enabled. After they have been enabled, you will be able to find the mentioned folder.
- Select “QBWUSER.ini.file”.
- Using the option of “Rename”, change the file’s name. Write “.old” at the end of the name.
Note for Readers: After this step, you can try opening the accounting software. On observing that QuickBooks Desktop does not start even now, you can continue with the next step.
- Look for the “ECML.file“
- Again, with the help of “Rename”, assign a different name to it.
Afterward, make another attempt to launch QuickBooks Desktop. After changing the names of both the files, you should be able to launch it.
Fix 3: Try Suppressing the Installation of QuickBooks Desktop
When the users tell us that they can’t open QuickBooks Desktop, we suggest that they try suppressing the installation of this software. We suggest the users to do so on the basis of the reliability of this measure.
For suppressing QB Desktop’s installation, its icon has to be right-clicked on. After this, tap on the Ctrl key for some time and also choose Open. The key will have to be released only when you see a window opening. This window will mention No Company Open. Now, the installation of the accounting software will get suppressed.
- Find the icon of “QuickBooks Desktop” on your PC.
- On finding this icon, right-click on it.
- Push the “Ctrl” key.
- Then choose “Open”.
- Keep the “Ctrl” key pressed till the time the window of “No Company Open” is seen.
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Ensure whether the accounting software is opening now.
QuickBooks Online won’t Open
Troubles in opening QuickBooks Online can be removed by checking that the software’s installation is correct. The QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool can be used for ensuring that there is no error in QBO’s installation. Then the same tool can assist you in fixing the error when it has been found. The installation-related issues in it can also be troubleshot by ending the processes of QuickBooks Online. This can be done from the Task Manager of Windows.
You can learn more about these measures from the following sections:
Fix 1: Check the Installation Problem in QuickBooks Online
Problems relating to the installation of QBO can prevent you from opening it. Its installation may either be corrupt or may have received damages. These problems can be checked using the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. it can be run after opening QuickBooks Tool Hub. Then you can navigate to the tool hub’s tab that says Installation Issues. Search for the Install Diagnostic Tool and start running it. Then a process will be initiated by this tool. This process will help in checking the installation problems as well as repairing them.
- You can stop using “QBO” and exit it for some time.
- Open “QuickBooks Tool Hub”.
Note for Readers: You can download the tool hub when it does not exist on your system. Or, you can upgrade if the version of this application is not the same as the latest one. In one of the earlier sections of this blog, we have explained in detail the procedure to download and install this application. You can move to that section to know the same.
- Click on “Installation Issues”.
- Choose “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool”.
- The tool can take a while to run and finish the process.
Note for Readers: In some cases, the process started by the QB Install Diagnostic Tool can take up to 20 minutes to completely get over.
- Start your computer again after this process is over.
- Open “QuickBooks Online”.
- Access your data file via QBO.
You will notice that the software is opening without any problems. Also, you should face no difficulties in accessing your data file. In the future, if you find that QuickBooks Online won’t open again, you can implement the Install Diagnostic Tool in the same way as described here.
Fix 2: Repair the Installation of QBO by Ending its Processes
When you sense trouble in opening QuickBooks Online, you may try to find whether the installation of the software has been incorrectly initiated. When you are sure that this is the reason behind the trouble, the installation should be repaired.
To start repairing QBO’s installation, you can visit the Task Manager. Here, enter the tab for Processes and opt for QuickBooks Processes by right-clicking on it. Following this, a process needs to be picked for ending it. When you have confirmed your action, that process will be finished. Thus, the installation of the software will begin to get repaired.
- To begin, these 3 keys have to be pressed in one go:
- “Ctrl” key + “Alt” key + “Del“ key
- Navigate to the option that states “Task Manager”.
- Find the “Process” tab and right-click on it.
- You will find “QuickBooks Processes” in the tab. Right-tap on any one of them.
- Press “End Process“.
- When a confirmation for the same appears, you have to pick “End All Processes”.
- Now, open “QuickBooks Online”.
- Locate the option of “Repair QuickBooks”. Use this option to repair the installation of the software.
Followed by repairing the software, you will have to open it one more time. This time, you need to check whether QBO is getting opened without any trouble.
Troubleshooting QuickBooks won’t Open After Windows 10 Update
A compatibility-related error may be the reason why QuickBooks won’t open in Windows 10 after updates. Thankfully, this can be repaired within minutes. Soon after this, you will be able to open the software on this version of Windows. To repair the compatibility error, you can find QB’s shortcut and right-click on its icon. You can open the Properties to find the Compatibility tab. Pick the version of Windows and then apply the changes. Now that the compatibility problem will have been fixed, QB will get opened.
- Locate the shortcut of “QuickBooks”.
- Right-tap on this shortcut and prefer selecting “Properties”.
- Visit the “Compatibility” tab.
- Choose the version of “Windows”.
- Press “Apply”.
- Now, tap on the “Ok” option.
- Afterward, you can run “QuickBooks” on Windows 10.
Fixing QuickBooks 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, or 2019 won’t Open
When the installation of software like QuickBooks has not been done in the right manner, problems in running it can be experienced. Also, the installation of year versions of the software being faulty, you will find that QB 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, or QuickBooks 2007 won’t open. In such a situation, a clean installation of the software will be greatly recommended. As a part of this process, the software will be uninstalled. Some time later, you can install it again. On opening it now, the year version of QuickBooks will start as usual.
Troubleshooting QuickBooks Pro 2010/2013/2014/2015/2016 won’t Open
On observing that versions like QuickBooks Pro 2013 won’t open, restarting your Windows PC will be the quickest way to get rid of the problem. For the same problem being faced with other year versions of QB Pro such as 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2016 too, this fix can be applied. As you properly shut down and restart the PC, certain minor errors that may be restricting you from opening the software will be removed. After this, when you open QuickBooks Pro, you should find success in starting it.
- Run Windows’ “Start Menu”.
- Press the symbol of “Power”.
- Pick the option of “Restart”.
- Let your Windows computer turn off and start on its own.
- Now, try starting the QuickBooks program.
Most likely, the problem of QuickBooks Pro 2015 or QuickBooks Pro 2014 won’t open will get troubleshot.
Thoughts in Closing
QuickBooks may not open in some instances and this issue is not uncommon. Usually, when its installation becomes corrupted, the users may find trouble in starting QuickBooks. The same can be applied to the versions of the software like QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Pro, and other year versions. In the end, we will advise you to always see to it that when the software is installed, no interruptions are made that can damage the installation. Along with this, you will also be suggested to keep checking that the operating system of your computer stays updated and works devoid of any errors.
Certain factors can cause the QuickBooks Database Manager to unusually behave. This can lead to the error message “QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer“. Those of you who like to know how this error, as well as the message, can be fixed should prefer reading this blog.