Small and medium-sized businesses consider QuickBooks as one of the most dependable accounting software. Although QuickBooks is highly reliable, it is not free from errors.
QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer is one of the different types of problems that you may face with QuickBooks.
When QBCFMonitorService.exe stops working, you can get QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error.QBCFMonitorService.exe file is one of the important QB files. To locate this file, you have to navigate to C:\Program Files\Common File\Intuit\QuickBooks. If in case, you want to uninstall it, then you are required to uninstall your QB.
When does QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer issue appear?
QuickBooks Company File Monitoring Service(QBCFMonitorService) not running error may occur when your QuickBooks application is starting or while you are accessing something in QuickBooks application.
Why does QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error occur?
One of the following reasons can lead to this error –
- Corrupted QBCFMonitorService.exe files due to a virus or any other malware.
- Windows registry errors leading to problems with QBCFMonitorService.exe file.
- QBCFMonitorService.exe file may have been mistakenly deleted by a program installed on the system.
- QuickBooks cannot communicate over the Internet because firewall software has blocked access.
- There is some sort of conflict between a program and QBCFMonitorService.exe.
- Installation of the QB software has not been done correctly or completely.
How you can solve the QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error?
Various solutions are available to fix QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error. You can choose a solution depending on the cause. Before you proceed to apply any of the solutions given below, back up your PC and QuickBooks data so that if in case data loss occurs, you have the backup. You should also have installation CDs of Microsoft Windows and QuickBooks along with the license numbers if in case you need to reinstall any of these.
Restart QBCFMonitorService manually
You have to restartQBCFMonitorServicemanually. In the QBCFMonitorService’s service properties, set startup to automatic. Login user account should not be a QuickBooks user, but a local system account.
Set recovery options for first and second failures to restart the service. For third and subsequent failures, set these options to Take No Action. These settings are recommended because one needs to diagnose the real problem that is causing QBCFMonitorService to fail repeatedly, otherwise you would enter into a constant restart loop. Restart your PC and check now for QBCFMonitorService error.
Run a comprehensive scan
Use a high-quality antivirus program to perform a full scan of your PC. Your antivirus program should scan your PC for not only viruses and trojans, but also for worms, rootkits, etc. If in case your antivirus software detects some kind of malware, remove it. Now, reboot your system and check for the QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error.
Update your firewall software and change its configuration
Firewall plays an important role in how QuickBooks can communicate over the network and Internet. Update your firewall software. You have to add exceptions and check ports required by QuickBooks are being blocked or not. If they are blocked, open them to facilitate QuickBooks communication.
Fix Windows registry
QBCFMonitorService.exe might be not functioning properly because of Windows registry errors. You have to fix these errors in Windows registry. Before trying to fix Windows registry errors, backup Windows registry.
Perform QuickBooks repair
Repairing QuickBooks may fix QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error.
Disk cleanup cleans files that can be safely deleted and are no longer of any use. By cleaning unnecessary files, you can make your PC run faster and perform better.
Use the Windows System File Checker (SFC) tool
This tool helps you to scan and repair missing or corrupted system files in Microsoft Windows.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling
Uninstalling and then reinstalling QB might fix QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error.
Uninstall unrequired programs
There must be some programs that you don’t need. Uninstall such programs. At Windows startup, only necessary programs should run automatically.
Ensure that Windows and QuickBooks are fully updated
The frequency of errors is less when programs are fully updated. For Windows and QuickBooks, automatic updates should be turned on. If your PC is set for back up periodically along with the creation of restore points, then you can restore system files to an earlier state if the need arises.
QBCFmonitorservice not running on this computer
QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer is a multi-user error that occurs on the QuickBooks database server manager, We recommend you to backup your company file before troubleshooting.
QuickBooks Troubleshooting Guide:
- What causes the QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error?
- How to fix the QBCFMonitorService ‘Not working on this computer’ error?
- Manually restart the QBCFMonitorService
- Run a full scan of your computer system
- Update your firewall and adjust the configurations
- Repair the Windows registry
- Repair QuickBooks
- Update your Windows and QuickBooks
QuickBooks Pro, Premier and Enterprise software Editions run on Windows Operating system, QB Users running this editions of the software on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2008, 2012 might come across the error “QBCFMonitorService Not running on this computer”, In order to find solutions to this issue you can start with the most basic troubleshooting steps explained below also to keep in mind that there might be several QuickBooks technical issues related to this Error so follow each step until your problem is resolved.
In the following article, we are going to provide you with a step by step guide on how to fix QBCFmonitor stopped running on this computer Error for windows 10 running QuickBooks 2019-2020
What causes the QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error?
QBCFMonitorService stands for QuickBooks Company File Monitoring Service.
Usually the error occurs when starting, or trying to access QuickBooks which indicates that the QBCFMonitorService.exe file on your computer has stopped working.
And since this file is an essential part of the QuickBooks software, it brings the whole system to a halt. Other reasons for the error might be:
- Errors in the Windows registry corresponding to QBCFMonitorService.exe.
- Another program on your computer might have accidentally deleted the QBCFMonitorService.exe file.
- Some kind of malware has corrupted the QBCFMonitorService.exe file.
- QuickBooks is not installed correctly or completely.
- The firewall software on your computer has blocked the internet access to QuickBooks files.
- Another program on your computer is conflicting with the QBCFMonitorService.exe file.
How to fix the QBCFMonitorService ‘Not working on this computer’ error?
If you haven’t done it already, make sure that you perform a backup of your QuickBooks company file, just in case some unexpected data loss occurs during the fixing process. You will also need installation CDs for Microsoft Windows and QuickBooks and, in case you have to reinstall them, the license numbers.
Choose from the solutions below, according to what you know caused the error.
Manually restart the QBCFMonitorService
Open the service properties for the QBCFMonitorService. Set the startup type to automatic and the login user account should be a local account, not a QuickBooks user.Make sure to set the recovery options to restart the service, for the first and second failure.For following failures, set the recovery option to Take No Action.This is needed because you will want to find out the main problem is that gets you into the constant restart loop.Now restart your computer and check if the QBCFMonitorService error is still occurring.
Run a full scan of your computer system
Use a comprehensive anti-virus software to scan you whole computer. It is important that the software also searches not only for malware like viruses and trojans, but also for worms, rootkits, etc. When the anti-virus program is finished, restart your computer and check if the QBCFMonitorService error still persists.
Update your firewall and adjust the configurations
If your firewall is interfering with the QBCFMonitorService.exe file, you will have to update your current firewall software. You probably also need to manually configure exceptions and ports that are required for the firewall.
Repair the Windows registry
Before applying any changes, make sure to backup the registry. Only than you should start with removing errors in the Windows registry that correspond with the QBCFMonitorService.exe file.
Try to repair your QuickBooks software and check if this resolved the QBCFMonitorService error.
Reinstall your QuickBooks software
If repairing QuickBooks did not help, try to uninstall and then reinstall QuickBooks.
Perform a disk cleanup
Run a disk cleanup to remove all the files that are no longer needed and are ok to delete. Deleting unused files helps to increase the overall performance of your computer.
Update your Windows and QuickBooks
Always keep your Windows and QuickBooks fully updated to ensure an error-free performance. You can run these updates manually or turn the automatic update features on.
QuickBooks uses several windows components as services to run on the server and on windows 10.
QBFCmonitorservice is a file that monitors the data file and is responsible for backing it up, sometimes this files can crash, freeze or be damaged due to several QuickBooks technical reasons, we have covered all the crucial troubleshooting steps which you can take to prevent this issues from occurring in the future.
Usually, at least one of the above-mentioned solutions should help you to resolve the QBCFMonitorServices ‘Not running on this computer’ issue.
If the error still persists, please do not hesitate to contact our team of experts, to avoid further damage or even data loss.
Our advisors are known for their reliable and thorough support.
QBCFMonitorService Not Running on This Computer | Fixed
With a massive presence in the accounting world for so many years, QuickBooks has now become the favorite choice of thousands of businesses across the world. Being used by both small and big enterprises, QuickBooks helps in managing income and expenses so that users can ensure a healthy financial state. QuickBooks serves a lot of other purposes also such as invoicing customers, paying bills, preparing taxes, and generating reports. However, no matter how beneficial using QuickBooks is, there is no doubt that it is not entirely immune to bugs or errors. QuickBooks requires several background services and processes to ensure efficient functioning. The QuickBooks company file monitoring service is one such critical service that gets executed from the qbcfmonitorservice.exe file stored within the QuickBooks Installation directory.
In recent days, while trying to access the company file stored on the server located at a different location or switching to multi-user mode, users have reported the QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error. The most interesting point about this multi-user error is that most of the time when users check the activity status of the QBCFMonitor service in the service window, they find the service working without any hindrances. Considering the complexity of such multi-user errors, we have come up with this post to discuss with you why the qbcfmonitorservice service terminated unexpectedly and how you can quickly resolve the error.
Possible Reasons Behind QBCFMonitorService keeps stopping
QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error can take place due to various reasons as described in the below-given list:
- Error in QBCFMonitorService.exe file caused due to virus or malware attack.
- Erroneous Windows registry can also promote QBCFMonitorService error.
- Accidental deletion of QBFCMonitorService.exe file by a third-party application installed on the system can also promote QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error.
- Restrictive settings of the Windows Firewall preventing QuickBooks from communicating with the server.
- A third-party application interfering with the QBFCMonitorService.
- Partial or damaged installation of the QuickBooks application.
Things You Need to Consider Before Resolving QBFC Monitor Service Keeps Stopping Error?
Before getting started with the troubleshooting solutions of qbcfmonitorservice service terminated unexpectedly, you need to keep the below-given points in your mind:
- Create a backup of your company’s financial data to prevent permanent data disruption.
- Keep installation CDs of MS Windows, QuickBooks, and license numbers handy.
How to Resolve Error in QBcfm?
To resolve QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer, you need to fix the root causes behind the error. Follow the below-given solutions with the utmost attention:
Solution 1: Restart QBFCMonitoringService Manually
To restart the QuickBooks Company File Monitoring Service, perform the below-described steps:
- First of all, leave the QuickBooks application.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys together to open the task manager and go to the Processes tab.
- Next, you need to right-click the QBCFMonitorService process and then select End Task.
- Click Yes to confirm the action and proceed further.
- In the end, open the QuickBooks application once again to check if the QuickBooks Company File Monitoring Service error is fixed. If not, try the next solution.
Solution 2: Change Your Windows Firewall Settings
If your Windows Firewall is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the server, then you need to change the settings by following the below-given steps:
- Update your Firewall software in the first place to start the procedure.
- Next, you need to add QuickBooks as an exception from being scanned.
- Now see if the ports required by QuickBooks to communicate with the server are blocked or not.
- Open the ports if blocked, so that QuickBooks can communicate with the server to fix the QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer.
Note: Suppose the Error qbcfmonitorservice keeps stopping continues even after updating the firewall settings. In that case, you can employ the next solutions to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Company file monitoring service.
Solution 3: Run A Full Malware Scan on Your System
Damage caused due to virus or malware infection can also evoke the QuickBooks Company File Monitoring Service error. To wiped-out the QuickBooks error, you can try to go for a full scan of your system included with QuickBooks and wait till the scan process is finished. Next, restart the computer and try to open QuickBooks again and If the error does not show, then you successfully troubleshoot the error. If the error remains with QuickBooks, then you can go for another solution.
Solution 4: Try to Update the Database server manager carefully
- Start the QuickBooks Desktop application by double click over the QB desktop icon.
- Click for update QuickBooks, visible right under the “help tab”.
- At the Update Now tab, Checkmarks all the available options.
- Click on get update to initiate the process of downloading the updates.
- Once the download complete, QuickBooks automatically install all the Downloaded package.
- Finally, Reboot the QuickBooks Server and all the workstations.
Solutions 5: Reinstall the “QuickBooks Desktop application.”
- Press the Windows button > Search for the “control panel” and press enter > Tap on “uninstall a program.”
- Scroll down the find the QuickBooks application > click upon the icon and choose to uninstall and follow the steps appropriately to uninstall the QB app.
- Now, once the Program is deleted later, You have two options to reinstall the Program, first download the setup from the official website and then install and the second option is to employ the QuickBooks clean install tool.
You may also read: How to Fix QuickBooks File Exists Error
Note: Suppose None of the given solutions wouldn’t work, that circumstances. You have to be sure that connection in bewteen QuickBooks Server and Workstations should intact. To rectify the connection status First-of all, write down the Server IP address in notepad, Next, open the Command prompt in the workstation and Type ping [Server IP address]. If the packet data is getting lost or the transaction speed is slow, you can presume that issue is taking place due to a lack of interaction between the QuickBooks server and workstation.
Talk to a Qualified QB Expert!
The steps described in this post can help you in the resolution of qbcfmonitorservice service terminated unexpectedly. If you are not able to perform the solution due to technical unease, give us a call on our ProAdvisor Solutions helpline number . After that, you can describe the QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error to get the relevant solution.
QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer Error
No doubt QuickBooks is the best and the most common accounting software used worldwide, but it requires numerous background services and processes to function in an efficient manner. One of the critical QuickBooks services is QBCFMonitorService also referred to as QuickBooks Company File Monitoring Service which is executed from the qbcfmonitorservice.exe file located within the QuickBooks installation directory, usually inside “C:\Program Files\Common File\Intuit\QuickBooks” folder. QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error message appears when a user tries to run QuickBooks Database Server Manager to set up multi-user mode. However, when you check the status of the service in the service window, you will find the service running without any issues. You might need to apply multiple fixes to get rid of the QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error message. Follow the complete article for detailed troubleshooting instructions.
What Causes QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer Error?
Many reasons account for QuickBooks displaying QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer message. One of the major causes of errors related to QBCFMonitorService is Windows Defender and third-party firewall applications that restrains QuickBooks connection with the company file stored on the server. Following are some more reasons that cause QBCF Monitor Service to stop on Windows:
- QuickBooks installed on the server is not properly set up to host company file in a multi-user environment.
- For some reasons, QBCFMonitorService is not running or stopped on the server hosting the company file.
- Accidentally the QuickBooks Database Manager Service file (qbcfmonitorservice.exe) is deleted from the server.
- You are using an outdated version of QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your Windows computer and the server. (Install and Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager Now)
NOTE: If under the event log QBCFMonitorService.exe application is giving an error description “The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception” then make sure to Install Latest QuickBooks Updates.
Resolve QBCFMonitorService Not Running on This Computer
Solution 1: Verify QuickBooks Multi-User Hosting Set up on the Server
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and click the File tab.
- Move your mouse cursor over the Utilities option.
- Select the option that says Host Multi-User Access.
- Once you get the confirmation box click Yes.
- Make sure you are activating hosting only on the server.
- Make sure that the Multi-user Hosting is not running on any of the workstation computers.
- To verify open QuickBooks and go to the File tab.
- If you see the option Switch to Single-User mode, then it means the QuickBooks is running under multi-user mode, and you need to click Switch to Single-User mode.
- If you see the option that says Switch to multi-user mode, then this indicates that the application is already running under single-user mode and no changes in settings are required.
Step 2: Install the Updates of QuickBooks Database Manager Server
- Follow the link and check out the latest release of QuickBooks Database Manager server for your QuickBooks version.
- QB Desktop 2018
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020
- Now open QuickBooks if you are not having the latest updates and patches installed.
- From the Help tab click Update QuickBooks.
- Checkmark all the QuickBooks features and releases under the Update Now tab.
- Click Get Updates and wait until the application install all the available updates.
- Make sure to restart QuickBooks Desktop on both server and workstation after the update.
Step 3: Set up QuickBooks Database Manager Service
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard and type services.msc in the run box.
- Click OK or hit Enter.
- Search for the QuickBooks DBXX service in the list of services.
- If you find the service status as stopped, then right-click the service and select Properties.
- Under the General tab change the Startup Type to Automatic from Manual.
- Now go to the Log On tab and set the option to Local System Account from This Account.
- Move to the Recovery tab and from the drop-down list of the first failure, second failure, and subsequent failure select Restart the Service.
- Now click Apply and OK.
Step 4: Configure Windows & Third-Party Firewall
For detailed instructions on how to Configure Windows Firewall and assign proper ports to QuickBooks follow our article on QuickBooks Error 6094, -0.
IMPORTANT: After reinstalling QuickBooks Database Manager Service make sure that the server computer and the workstations can communicate with each other. You can do this by sending a ping command to the server computer.
Follow article How to Ping a Computer for more info.
If you are still having problems accessing the company file on the server and if QuickBooks is still displaying QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer then you might need to reinstall the complete QuickBooks Desktop application using the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool. If you don’t feel comfortable applying the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article, then you can always reach us at our Number for immediate help and support.
QBCFMonitorService Not Running On This Computer | Resolved
“QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer” is an annoying technical issue in QuickBooks Desktop. QBCFMonitorService stands for QuickBooks Company File Monitoring Service. You may find QuickBooks monitoring service stopped working when an error occurs with QBCFMonitorService.exe file. This file is an integral part of the QuickBooks Desktop software. QuickBooks monitoring service error may take place due to several reasons. To unearth the possible causes of QBFCService stopped error and troubleshoot them, read this post until the end.
QBCFMonitorService Error: Not Running On This Computer | Possible Causes
QuickBooks company file monitoring service typically stops working when you try to access a company file. Several issues in the program can bring forth QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error as listed below-
- Possible corruption in QBCFMonitorService.exe file caused due to a virus or malware attack
- Fault in Windows registry giving rise to error in QBCFMonitorService.exe file
- Windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks from communicating with the server
- Accidental deletion of the QBCFMonitorService.exe file by a program installed on the computer
- Improper of corrupt installation of the QuickBooks Desktop software can also promote QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error.
- When a program installed on the system conflicting with QBCFMonitorService
How to Resolve QuickBooks Company File Monotoring Service Error?
Now that you are aware with some of the apparent reasons evoking QuickBooks monitoring service stopped issue, let’s move ahead with the troubleshooting procedures. Before getting started, you need to confirm these things
- You have backed up your data to prevent any data disruption while performing the troubleshooting methods.
- You have Installation CDs of MS Windows, QuickBooks along with license numbers (If you are not having the Installation Disk, then follow article Create Installation Media for Windows)
Solution 1: Perform Manual Restart for QBCFMonitorService
- Open the task manager by pressing the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys together and navigate to the Processes tab.
- Right-click the QBCFMonitorService process and select End Task.
- Click Yes for the confirmation.
- Open the QuickBooks application once again.
Solution 2: Run a Full Malware Scan on Your System
If the QBCF monitor service keeps stopping while accessing the company file, then run a full scan for malware or virus infections on the system. Remove the malware on finding and restart your system. If QBCFMonitorService error continues, move to the next solution.
Solution 3: Modify the Settings of Your Windows Firewall
Your Windows Firewall monitors how QuickBooks communicate with the network and Internet connection. It may block QuickBooks from communicating with the server giving rise to QuickBooks company file monitor service error. In this situation, you will have to make the following modifications-
- Update your Firewall software
- Add QuickBooks as exception from being scanned
- Check if the ports required by the QuickBooks to communicate with the server are blocked or not
- If blocked, you will need to open ports to enable communication with the server for QuickBooks
If QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer issue continues, move to the next solution.
Solution 4: Install QuickBooks Database Manager Server Update
Installing the latest updates for QuickBooks database manager server can help you in resolving QBCFMonitorService failed error. Follow the below-listed steps:
- Open QuickBooks to install the latest maintenance release
- Click Update QuickBooks from within the Help tab
- Now on Update Now tab, checkmark all the features and patches
- Click Get Updates and wait for the application to install all the available updates
- Now restart QuickBooks both on workstation and server
Now check for the QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer and if it persists, jump to the next method.
Solution 5: Set Up QuickBooks Database Manager Service
For complete instructions on setting up QuickBooks Database Server Manager follow our Guide to QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Still Getting Error in QBCFMonitorService!
The troubleshooting procedures described above can help you to get rid of the QuickBooks company file monitoring service error. However, if you are stuck at a technical unease while performing the procedures or want to get any related query answered, dial our QuickBooks error support phone number . On connecting with one of our QB experts, explain the error symptoms. Receive the most relevant solutions based on your description to resolve QBCFMonitorService not running on this computer error.