If you are unable to use QuickBooks because of some issues with QBDBMgrN (QuickBooks Database Server Manager) service then you are not alone, several QuickBooks users face this issue while running QuickBooks on Windows operating systems and QB support forums are flooded with user queries like “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer and “QuickBooks Database Server Manager Stopped”.
Such errors where QBDBMgrN service failed to start or won’t open indicates that Windows firewall is interrupting the service and blocking its connection to the internet. However, the good news is that you can quickly fix the problem by configuring the Windows firewall and its ports, but make sure to follow every step cautiously as a single mistake can result in data loss. Follow the complete article for detailed instructions.
We have tried our best to help you resolve the issue manually but with sensitive company’s data stored in QuickBooks, are you ready to risk it? Inability to troubleshoot QBDBMgrN Error can cause permanent damage to company file. Instead it is recommended to take professional’s help available at (844)-888-4666
What QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error Message Means?
Before we discuss why QBDBMgrN keeps stopping on Windows?, You must first understand what QBDBMgrN or QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service is and why it is used to run QuickBooks. QBDBMgrN is a utility developed by Intuit that allows more than one user to access the database and the company file stored on the file hosting server simultaneously. If the QBDBMgrN service is not running on your computer or is disabled for some reasons, then you can only use QuickBooks in Single-user mode means, it won’t switch to multi-user mode, and doing so will give you an error “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” or “Windows Firewall: Disabled exceptions not defined“when you switch QB to Multi-user mode.
QBDBMgrN is an executable process on Windows with .exe extension, and you can see the process running in the task manager of your computer. Follow our article Fix Multi-User Mode Errors for detailed instructions on troubleshooting common errors while setting up multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
What Reasons Triggers QBDBMgrN not running on this Computer Error Message?
The error usually occurs when you try to install QuickBooks update or while trying to upgrade it to a newer version and the Windows firewall is still not updated, this causes the firewall to detect QBDBMgrN service as an unknown service, and it blocks its access to the internet. When you repair your company file and network using QuickBooks File Doctor it displays an error message “Repair the following network problems before accessing your company file from other computers on the network *QBDBMgrN not running on this computer”.
QuickBooks File Doctor can automatically repair common company file and the network issues, but it cannot configure the firewall of your computer which is the root cause of the problem, so we have to manually set the firewall and its ports to allow QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service to establish a secure connection with the internet.
How to Fix QBDBMgrN not Running on this Computer Error?
Fix 1: Install Windows Firewall Updates
- Press Windows + R key together and type Control Panel in the Run window.
- Press Enter and click the System and Security option.
- Alternatively, you can also use “firewall.cpl” command to open the firewall settings.
- Select Windows Firewall and click Check for Updates under the Update your Firewall Settings section.
- If Windows find any updates, then click the Update Now and Use Recommended Settings option and wait until the updates are installed.
- Restart your computer and open QuickBooks again.
IMPORTANT: If you are having any issues updating the firewall or if you are getting an error then you can manually update the firewall by downloading the update files. There are separate update files for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows operating systems. Download and open the updates from the links given below and follow the on-screen instructions to install the updates. You can find a complete guide to manually downloading and installing Windows firewall updates here.
Download Windows updates for 32 Bit Windows
Download Windows updates for 64 Bit Windows
If you are still getting QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error message in QuickbBooks File Doctor, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Fix 2: Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service
- Press Windows + letter R key on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type Services.msc in the Run box and press Enter.
- Scroll down and search for QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service listed as either QuickBooksDB28, QuickBooksDB27 or QuickBooksDB26 where 28 stands for 2018 version, 27 for 2017, and 26 for 2016 version of QuickBooks and the same implies to QuickBooks 2020 version.
- Right-click the proper QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service and select Restart.
- Try to open QuickBooks again and if you are still not able to run QuickBooks then try the next troubleshooting solution.
NOTE: If while trying to start the QuickBooks services you get an error message “The QuickBooksDB26 Service on Local Computer started then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.“, then you will need to update your Windows Firewall. Follow the steps mentioned below to install Windows Firewall updates.
Fix 3: Install Latest Windows Firewall Updates
- Press Windows + R to get the Run dialogue box.
- Type Control firewall.cpl in the text box and press Enter.
- If the updates are available then click Update Now and make sure you are using the Recommended Settings.
- Once the updates are installed, restart your Windows PC and try to access the company file again.
Fix 4: Add QBDBMgrN Service to Firewall and its Ports
- Follow troubleshooting steps 2 and 4 from our article QuickBooks Update Error 12029 for detailed instructions on how to add QuickBooks to the exclusion list of your Windows Firewall.
- Exclude QBDBMgrN.exe file located in C:\ Program Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooks folder.
- Save the settings in the firewall and try using QuickBooks once again.
NOTE: If you are using a firewall other than Windows, then you might need to contact the firewall provider to get the exact instructions on excluding QuickBooks Database Server Manager from their firewall’s blocking list, as there are numerous firewalls available to the user it is not possible for us to mention the steps for each firewall in this article.
Fix 5: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Application
- Press Windows + R on keyboard and type appwiz.cpl in the Run window.
- Press Enter and locate QuickBooks in the list of installed programs.
- Select QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change.
- Click Continue and then Next.
- Choose Repair and then click Next.
- Wait until the repair process completes.
- Click Finish and restart Windows.
Fix 6: Reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Tool
- Follow step 5 Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks Desktop on Windows using Clean Install Tool from our article on QuickBooks Error 1328 for detailed instructions.
If you are still unable to use QuickBooks because the firewall is blocking QBDBMgrN service or there is an issue with the server hosting the file in multi-user mode, then we suggest you get in touch with us at +1-888-300-3913. Sometimes it becomes complex to resolve errors with QuickBooks Database Server Manager, and we need to diagnose Windows with advanced tools and software, our certified support experts deals with such errors regularly and can provide you an instant solution in the shortest time possible.
Fix QuickBooks Database Server Manager Not Running (QBDBMGRN) on the Computer Error
Get the best ways to resolve Error: QBDBMGRN is not running on this computer problem
If you are a QuickBooks user, no matter whether you are using QuickBooks from decades or you have just started with it, but at least once you might have heard about QuickBooks database server manager. Also, you might have also used this amazing tool, in some or the other way. In the recent times, many users have reported the database server manager not running on the computer error. This error might lead to multiple restrictions to the user, just like hindering the access to multi-user mode. The error message “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” means that the database server manager has stopped working and also it indicates that the security firewall is interfering and hindering the QuickBooks to connect and communicate with the internet servers and fails in opening or starting.
Many users generally panic after encountering this error, keeping that in mind, we have come up with this article, which will be revolving around the causes and ways to mend this error. Thus, keep reading this article carefully. Moreover, you can also consult our QuickBooks error support professionals, in case you are seeking for technical assistance. All you have to do is to ring up at our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-761-1787. Our support team will be there to resolve the issue for you in no time.
You might also like: How to troubleshoot QuickBooks unrecoverable error?
What does QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error means?
Before you learn the factors causing the error and also the methods to resolve the same, it would be necessary for the users to find out what actually this error is all about. QBDBMgrN is basically an executable process on windows which has the .exe extension and can be seen in the task manager of the system. The QBDBSM was introduced by Intuit in order to enable multiple-users to access the company file and database on the hosting server having the company file. When the error occurs with the database server manager, the user can only access the single user mode and switching to the multi-user mode might show an alert stating the QBDBMgrN is not running on this computer. There are various other facts associated with QuickBooks database server manager not running on this computer error, which we will be discussing later in this post.
Why user gets QBDBMgrN not running error message?
The QBDBMgrN is not running on this computer error is usually seen when the user updates the QuickBooks desktop to the latest update and skip to update the windows firewall along with that. Outdated firewall might spot the QuickBooks database server manager error as an unknown service and then block that, to protect from any sort of malware. This ultimately ends up in failure to connect to the internet and the user receives an error message, while trying to correct the issue with the QuickBooks file doctor. There can be a few other factors leading to such an annoying error, a few of which are enumerated below:
- Improper configuration of firewall
- Or the internet is creating problems
- The user can also encounter such an error if the 3rd party firewall software is blocking the access to QuickBooks
- Wrong or infected installation of QuickBooks database server manager
- Any sort of error with the network file might also encounter this error
- Outdated database server manager can be one of the reasons
Side effects of QBDBMgrN error
As a consequence of QBDBMgrN not running error, the user might have to face the below mentioned problems.
- Hindrance in working in multi-user mode
- Unable to connect to the internet
- Difficulty in using QBW company file
- Also, the QBDBSM can’t be updated properly.
- Inappropriate installation of firewall
- Firewall blocking the QuickBooks in accessing the internet
- Also, QB database server updation failed
- Inappropriate installation of database server manager
- Issues with QuickBooks network file (.NF file)
- QuickBooks database server manager has no files that are connected
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 80029c4a?
Methods to Fix QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer [Solved]
There can be multiple solution that the users can implement in order to get rid of the bug. Below we will be exploring each of solutions one by one.
Basic Troubleshooting steps:
- Log out of your QuickBooks account
- And then, reboot the system
- After that, start QuickBooks and try to login to the account
If this doesn’t work for you, then move to the below procedures:
Method 1: QuickBooks is installed on the host system
- In this situation, the user is supposed to select Open or Restore option
- And then choose open a company.
- After that hit next
- And then find out the company file
- The next step is to select the open file in multi-user mode box and then click on open
- After the user is logged into the company file, he/she is required to select the file
- And then shut down the company to close the company file on the server.
Method 2: Only QBDBMgrN is installed on the host system
- First of all, click on Windows start tab
- And then move to the Control Panel
- After that, click on the admin tools and then double click on the Services option
- The user will then be needed to click on the correct database server manager
- And then restart the system, after which the steps are to be repeated based on the setup.
Method 3: Repair QuickBooks desktop
The user can repair QuickBooks by carrying out the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, the user needs to reboot the system after closing all the programs blocking the QuickBooks software
- After that backup the company file
- And then hit the Start option moving to the control panel, by moving to the Start menu and opening search bar, followed by entering the control panel in the search box.
- After opening the control panel, the users are required to click on the programs and features option.
- And then click on uninstall program. In case the user is unable to spot the options, then in that case select programs and the move to program features.
- The next step is to click on program list and then click on uninstall, continue, and next options respectively.
- Once done with that the user is required to click on repair option and then hit next. Also, wait till the time repair process comes to an end.
- After that the user needs to hit Finish tab and then reboot the system if prompted
- The last step in this process is to download the latest QuickBooks release.
Read Also: How to resolve QuickBooks error code 6000?
Method 4: Fix Error message ‘files in use’ first
In case the user is having the ‘File in use‘ as an error message, then in that case the steps below are to be performed:
- The first step is to select ignore option in the system reboot tab.
- And then hit a click on OK button
- If the user doesn’t get an ignore option on the screen, then the user will have to click on OK tab.
- To end the process, the user needs to restart the system.
Method 5: Run Clean install tool
The process to use clean install tool to reinstall QuickBooks is sub divided in three steps:
- Uninstalling QuickBooks software
- The first step is to press Windows + R keys
- Type in control panel and hit OK button
- Click on programs and features and select the uninstall option
- After that select QuickBooks and then click on uninstall from the list of programs
- The user will then be required to follow the instructions to finish the uninstall process
- Running QuickBooks clean install tool
- In the second stage the user will have to download the latest version of QuickBooks clean install tool.
- And then open the qbdbmgrn.exe file and then carry out the on-screen instructions.
- After that the user will have to select the QuickBooks desktop version and then hit Continue.
- Change the name of QuickBooks desktop installation folders
- The user will have to use the folder option in the PC to also reflect hidden files.
- And then change the name of all the folders listed for windows version.
- The user will then be required to add old or damaged to the end of the folder name, to differentiate the folders better.
In case the user identifies an error message at this point saying “Access Denied” while renaming folders, then carry out the steps below:
- Selecting Windows task bar and also opt for task manager
- And then under the processes tab, the user needs to select image name column header to sort the processes alphabetically by name
- Select QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe and press End tab
- Also, select yes tab for the warning message that comes up
- The user needs to reinstall QuickBooks desktop
Read Also: What is QuickBooks error code H202?
Method 6: Update firewall to fix the error
- Press Windows + R keys.
- And then type in Control panel and along with that hit OK button
- The next step is to select the system and security option.
- And then user is then required to use the cursor to move to the windows firewall and then choose the check for updates option
- After the user detects the system requires updates, then it is important to click on update now tab and also wait for the installation process to be completed.
- And then last step is to reboot the system and check if the error persists.
Method 7: Restart QuickBooks database server manager service
Another process that one can opt for is to restart the QuickBooks database server manager once and check if the error persists.
- Click on Windows + R keys.
- And then type services.msc and hit OK tab.
- Scroll down to the list until the user finds the QuickBooks database server manager service listed.
- After that, the user needs to select the file for the QB desktop and then right click the file to open the drop-down menu
- The next step is to select reboot option.
- And then open the QuickBooks again to check the backup.
You may also see: How to Use QuickBooks Conversion Tool?
Method 8: Exclude QB database server manager from firewall settings
- In this step, the initial step is to open the run box on the system
- And then type Windows firewall and then click on OK tab
- Double tap from the list of programs
- The next step is to look for advanced settings and right click on inbound rules and also select new rule from the drop-down menu.
- After that, click on the Next option under the programs and then select this program path option
- Followed by excluding the QBDBMgrN.exe file. The user can get this file in the QB folder and then select the location of the file and then hit next.
- The next step is to select allow the connection option and then hit continue and next options respectively
- Now, click on allow the connection and then hit Next.
- The user will then be required name the rule and then hit a click on Finish option
- To end the process, reboot the system and then resume the work with QBW company file.
Method 9: Rebooting the system
- The user can log off the QuickBooks account
- And then close the QuickBooks desktop
- After that, shut down the QuickBooks account
- Followed by restart the system
- The last step is to open QuickBooks and try to login the account
Method 10: Manual steps to follow
- The very first step is to download the QuickBooks file doctor tool and then install the same on the system
- After that, operate the software and let it diagnose the network, to resolve the error.
- In case the hosting mode has been turned off, then the user will have to turn it on, as the software will not be able to open the company file
- The next step is to setup access permissions in windows
- And then grant permissions in windows and make the folder shareable
- The last step is to run ipconfig, when network connectivity is not present.
See Also: Resolve QuickBooks error code 1311
Well, this brings us towards the end of this article. While concluding the article we expect that the information that we have shared in above might be of great help in Fixing QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error. However, a situation might arise when even after implementing all the above solutions, the error continues to trouble the user. In such a situation, the user is recommended to keep calm and consult a certified accounting professional to handle the situation. Getting in touch with a professional might help the user in successfully fixing the bug without any further damage.
You can simply ring up at our toll-free number i.e. +1-888-300-3913 and ask our experts for assistance. Thus, do not hesitate in calling our accounting professionals anytime, as our 24/7 QuickBooks enterprise support team will be happy to help you.
Learn How To Fix “QBDBMgrN Not Running” Error?
“QBDBMgrN not running” error occurs while using QuickBooks in multi-user mode. QBDBMgrN is a function in QuickBooks that enables the users to access the database and company files stored on a remote server. If the QBDBMgrN service is disabled on your computer, then you may encounter QBDBMgrN.exe not running error. By reading this blog until the end, you may understand why the error message flashes on your screen. Besides, you will learn how does it affect QuickBooks and the corrective methods to fix this issue in easy steps.
Is your QB database manager not running? Get the assistance of our experienced professionals by dialling QuickBooks customer helpline number and get quick support.
What Are The Consequences Of “QuickBooks Database Manager Not Running” Error?
Whenever such an error takes place, you will come across the following changes in your system:
· You cannot work in multi-user mode.
· The user won’t be able to write the company file.
· Irregular installation of Firewall
· The Firewall doesn’t allow QuickBooks to access the Internet
· QuickBooks Database Server failed to update
· There might be improper installation of QuickBooks Database server manager
· The issues with QuickBooks network file can be seen when “QBDBMgrN.exe” error strikes up.
· QuickBooks database server manager, no files are connected.
How To Resolve QuickBooksDB29 Server Not Running Problem?
At times, if you restart the system, you may fix the technical error. If not, then you must follow the below-mentioned to resolve QBDBMgrN not running on this computer server 2019.
Method 1- Start With Updating Windows Firewall
The QuickBooks database server manager keeps stopping because of the Windows Firewall. Therefore, you must start to resolve the same.
· At first, press Windows + R keys on your keyboard and search for Control Panel in the provided area.
· Then, hit Enter and select System and Security option.
· Now, you need to open Windows Firewall.
· Under the Update, your Firewall Settings section click on Check for Updates.
· If you find any update that needs to be done, click on Update Now.
· Wait until the process completes.
· Lastly, Restart your computer and then open QuickBooks.
Method 2- Restart QB Database Server Manager Service
If the QuickBooks QBDBMgrN not running still exist, follow the below-described steps to get rid of the error-
· Firstly, press Windows + R keys, and type services.msc in the Run box and then, click Enter.
· Now scroll down and look for any of the below-mentioned services:
QuickBooksDB26, QuickBooksDB28, or QuickBooksDB27.
· Choose your desired service and then, click on the Restart option.
· Once you have restarted the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, try to update QuickBooks and see if it is happening or not.
Summing It Up
By following the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this blog, you can get QBDBMgrN not running error fixed. However, come across any technical difficulty while fixing QuickBooks database server manager download issues. You must get in touch with our QB professionals by dialling QuickBooks Error Solutions toll-free number +1-888-300-3913 and describe your issues.
How to Fix ‘qbdbmgrn not running on this computer’ error?
QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a great tool to log into multiple accounts. Sometimes the user faces a problem where qbdbmgrn not running on this computer error arises leading to an access restriction when trying to access multi-user mode. A non-functional qbdbmgrn is an obstacle in solving many multi-user mode issues.
This article will enumerate how to resolve ‘qbdbmgrn not running on the computer.’ Unauthorized access to QuickBooks is most often the cause. Let’s go to the solution to understand how to resolve qbdbmgrn not running problem.
Why are you getting QBDBMgrN not running on this computer Error Message?
The error shows up while updating QuickBooks to the latest version, but the Windows firewall is not updated. Therefore, firewall block its access to the internet. When you attempt to repair company file using QB File Doctor, an error message appears “Repair the following network problems before accessing your company file from other computers on the network *QBDBMgrN not running on this computer”.
QB File Doctor can repair common issues automatically but it cannot configure firewall of your PC which is the major cause of problem. So, you have to manually change firewall settings and its port for establishing a secure internet connection.
How to Fix Error ‘qbdbmgrn not running on this computer’?
QuickBooks DB Server Manager rectifies several issues. Before trying out anything else, ‘Restart computer’ that has the company file. Restarting the computer several times corrects the qbdbmgrn not running problem. Though, if it did not work, try performing the below solutions.
Solution 1: QuickBooks is installed on the Host Computer.
If you see QuickBooks there on the server:
- Select ‘Open’ or restore ‘’
- Next, ‘Open a ’
- Click ‘Next’
- Search the Company file and choose it
- Now select ‘Open file in multi-user mode box’ and press ‘’
- You are logged into ‘ Company file ’ with username & password
- Choose ‘File’
- Now close ‘Company file on the ’
Solution 2: Only QBDBMGRN (QuickBooks Database Server Manager) is installed on the Host Computer
- Select ‘Windows’
- Navigate to the Control Panel
- Now, double-click on the ‘administrative tools’ and double-click on services.
- Click the Correct or appropriate ‘database ’
- Once done, Restart system
- After rebooting is complete, repeat the above steps depending on the setup.
If the problem does not gets solved then try the next solution.
Solution 3: Repairing QuickBooks
Look to repair QuickBooks for the below Windows versions.
Windows 7,8, 8.1 and 10
- Restart Computer once you close all programs that are blocking QuickBooks
- Backup the ‘Company’
- Select the ‘Start’ option and go to the Control (The Windows 8 & 8.1 users can go to start menu >> Open search and type ‘Control Panel.’ Now choose ‘Control Panel’ form results.
- Click ‘Programs & Features’ & Uninstall program (if needed). In case you do not see options, then ‘Select Programs and go to Program features.
- Click Program list>> Uninstall/modify >> Continue >> next
- Now press ‘Repair’ followed by ‘Next’ and wait till the Repair is complete
- Click ‘Finish’ and restart the computer if you get a prompt
- Now download the latest QuickBooks release. (US Customers have to download current Payroll tax table when opening QuickBooks.)
Solution 4: Error message ‘Files in use.’
If you have the error message ‘Files in Use’ then perform the below steps:
- First select ‘Ignore’ for the system reboot option
- Click OK. (Ignore the option as many times it comes and continues with the repair)
- If no ‘Ignore’ option comes, then click ‘’
- Once you complete the repair, then ‘Restart ’
Solution 5: Clean Install Tool
Perform a Clean Install of QuickBooks using, QuickBooks Clean Install Tool where you will need to ‘Uninstall, Rename installation folders, Re-install QuickBooks.’ Below given is the process.
Download the latest version of QuickBooks Clean Install Tool.
- First Press ‘Windows + R’ to open the RUN command
- Next, Type ‘control panel’ and click OK
- Now choose ‘Programs & Features’ option. If you see Control Panel is in Category view, then click ‘Uninstall a ’
- Form the Programs list, select QuickBooks >> Uninstall/change.
- Follow the on seen instructions and prompts to complete the process.
Run QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
- Download the QB Clean Install Tool.exe file and save these files to your desktop
- Open QuickBooks_clean_Install_Utility.exe
- Click ‘I accept the ’
- Select the QuickBooks Desktop version and press ‘’
- Now select OK when you see the message- ‘QuickBooks is ready for Clean install’ and then install this to the Default
Rename QuickBooks Desktop Installation folders.
- Use ‘Windows Explorer’ to reflect hidden files
- Rename every folder location that is listed for the ‘Windows version’
- The folder location is
C:\users\the current user\appdata\local\intuit\QB (year)
C:\program files\intuit\quickbooks( year)
64 bit version c:\program files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
Note: Add ‘old’/ ‘damaged’ at the end of your folder name. This will prevent QuickBooks from knowing the folder to create a new folder.
The error should be resolved by now. However, if you see an error message saying ‘Access Denied’ while renaming the folders, then you can perform the below steps.
Select Windows Task Bar & choose Task Manager
- In the processes tab, select ‘image name’ column header to sort processes alphabetically.
- Select QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFmonitorservice.exe, Qbw32.exe & click ‘End’.
- Choose ‘Yes’ to the warning message that comes.
- Re-install QuickBooks by downloading & installing QuickBooks Desktop.
If the problem still prevails and you are unable to fix the issue on your own. Our experts are available to help you resolve the problem in very less time. Call us on our QuickBooks ProAdvisor Support Number +1-888-300-3913.